main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 1.15 - Return to Kamino - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Aug 5, 2021.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Aug 13, 2021.
  1. 10

40.0%
  2. 9

28.3%
  3. 8

21.7%
  4. 7

6.7%
  5. 6

1.7%
  6. 5

1.7%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 1.15!!
    Return to Kamino

-------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney+.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) The Bad Batch episodes air on Friday on Disney+ at 12am PST/PDT. Anyone who shares plot details about an episode before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Hey, sacred TV series! Watch your language!"

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    LOL. what bridge will you take to put, "The Bridge Drops" for the title of the last one next week?

Alright, let's restart the age-old question that really matters. Will Captain Rex be in this episode?

Snafu55 and TadoFett like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Ok this next episode will awnser, is Lama Su dead and will Hunter be chiped.

Sproj and TadoFett like this.
  6. Commander DuctTape

Commander DuctTape Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2021
    Rex is bound to be here, if for no other reason then for him to pick up Gregor from the BB. Although I can also very much see the crew just going back to Ord Mantell to rearm, and then immediately go back for Hunter with Gregor tagging along the whole way.

And yah, we'll probably see what happened between Hunter and Crosshair, cause that conversation and scene can go in a lot of different ways!

Sproj, TadoFett and Seerow like this.
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised for everyone to just team up. We get Rex, Gregor, The freaking Martez sisters, Cid, and even the barflies all in on the rescue. Crosshair just walking into the cell and saying, "I was hoping for the whole squad but you will do." pan back to Hunter's stoic expression and credits was such a tease.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    TadoFett likes this.
  8. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    This will be good, i know it. :D

9. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    What's with all the asterisks? It's called Band of Brothers.

10. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    They know not what they do!
    Really looking forward to these last two episodes. I do hope these last two are special, and are treated as such by the LFA team.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  11. Alarinne

Alarinne Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2021
    Would like to see that. Give Crosshair the whole squad he was hoping for and then some.

TadoFett likes this.
  12. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I'm pumped, so much set up last week and to cross-promote Disney property - We are in the end game now. Can't wait.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I wonder what ol Rex would have to say to Crosshair now after those trolling comments on leaving Echo behind back in TCW S7. I hated Crosshair so much in that arc and now I kind of like his jerkass attitude. Sometimes I feel empathy to him but that only goes so far since I don’t know what is really going on in Crosshair's head. It was mildly disappointing Crosshair's absence didn't come up in "Battle Scars". BTW please don't let that guy keep taking off his helmet.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Clone Wars are definitely over now.

15. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    BRILLIANT!!!

Just brilliant, just wow.

We all kind of picked it with the inhibitor chip but I don't know if he was lying or not. How will Crosshair respond to that order to destroy Kamino? Unfortunately, he was out of it, so he may not believe them BUT the band is back together, let's see what happens from here. I also kind of thought that although a little demented, Crosshair's speech kinda made sense for him too. And...'You may fire when ready' - Nostalgia

Also, anyone else kinda get a really sad feeling at the empty Kamino shots, like it was a yep, this is the end of an era moment?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  16. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Wow. Some of the visuals in this were absolutely incredible

brilliant episode. It was so eerie seeing kamino empty and it really does feel like the end of the clone wars now. Interesting how they used a few different themes from AOTC at the very start of the episode to then end it with those scenes, contrasting the beginning and end of the war

I don’t know what will happen to Crosshair, interesting that he’s already has his chip removed. For reasons I’ve mentioned before I hope he does die or sacrifice himself, but I’m interested to see what they go with

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Damn that was a powerful episode.

That last shot of the empty city had such a melancholy “this is the end of the PT era” feeling to it. We’re in the dark times now. Good stuff. Just a fantastic episode altogether. I knew it right when Crosshair he didn’t have a choice either that he was no longer under the control of the inhibitor chip. Seeing them all fighting together was great. Hopefully Crosshair will see the light now. 10/10!

18. JarJarsTongue

JarJarsTongue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 25, 2014
    My goodness, what an amazing episode.

What a great episode, seeing the decommissioned Kamino was both eerie and sad. There is so much to unpack on the episode, but in particular Crosshair’s removal of his chip. Clearly he still has affinity for his brothers, but at the cost of his humanity. How they get out of this next week should be fun to watch.

19. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Was I alone in thinking we'd see Howzer in this episode? Hope Ryloth wasn't the last place we see him. The episode title on Disney Plus read "Finale Part 1" but the onscreen title read "Return to Kamino."

TadoFett and Sproj like this.
  20. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Top shelf presentation

RIP Kamino, just when we were introduced to the tube system. Well done sprinkling in AOTC music.
    Crosshair's arc is really deep. Can't wait till next week, somehow I think Fennec will come to the rescue, per Nala Se.
    The announcement of Season Two will keep me off the edge of my seat next for the finale.
    They should have waited to the end credits of the finale like they did for Loki. Nevertheless, outstanding stuff.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This was a busy episode, I mean it's dense but in a good way.

Let's start with Crosshair's transformation from jerkass to a tragic character. It's not entirely clear when the inhibitor chip was removed or with the way he still holds his head if he's lying. That AZ, who has surgically removed chips from Tup and Fives is with the group also felt like a red herring. I think it's the former. At the high cost of his humanity Crosshair has found purpose with these enlisted soldiers who follow his orders, perhaps mistakes fear for respect after what happened in "Replacements". It has absolutely deranged him. He makes some great points to Hunter about loyalty and getting left behind. The ruthless manner in which he executes every Trooper in the room with them just to prove his loyalty shows how little humanity Crosshair has left. But far gone as he is, Crosshair still longs to have his brothers with him.

The back and forth between Hunter and Crosshair was brilliant. It felt like a warped, inverted version of the dinner table scene in "The Deserter"... The Clone Wars season two.

Now Hunter's own arc is coming together. In spite of not being a Reg. Hunter was a hero. He doesn't like what the Empire has been doing to innocent worlds. No matter how lost Hunter, Tech, Wrecker, and Echo are they haven't lost their humanity. Hunter devoted himself to caring for an orphan, protects civilians from getting hurt, seems to avoid killing anyone who isn't a droid, gave a data rod with tactical droid data to strangers who might be able to use it better than his dubious employer. He helped a former enemy. He reunited a girl with her family. Crosshair murdered civilians. Would have shipped an orphan to god knows where. Helped suppress Ryloth. All for the fleeting chance to feel superior. Like, more than just a Clone. Which flies in the face of character arcs in TCW like Rex and Fives.

Hunter like Rex believed in what he was fighting for with the Republic. Order 66 didn't change that. Rex said to Cut he was "Fighting for freedom and so children would not have to live under an evil he cannot even imagine." In that conversation in "The Deserter" Cut threw it up to Rex that's he's just saying what he's programmed to believe. But, Rex insisted it's what he really believes. Here, Hunter basically inverts this and tells Crosshair he's just doing what he's programmed. That is until Crosshair corrects him by telling him, The Empire, that evil Rex couldn't imagine is what he believes Clone Force 99 is meant for. His belief The Bad Batch is meant for this reminds me of how when I first watched the completed version of The Bad Batch arc in TCW season 7 their abilities each representative of one common Force power make them seem purpose-bred Jedi replacements.

That got emotional too. It looked like there were tears in Hunter's eyes when he stunned him. If something happens to Crosshair after this it's going to devastate him. It's going to be like when Fives died in Rex's arms which clearly and unsurprisingly messed Rex up. It's clear Hunter has been carrying a ton of guilt for leaving Crosshair. None of the rest of The Bad Batch including Echo want to fight Crosshair.

It is sad and not surprising in the slightest Rampart was waiting for the chance to betray Crosshair. Seeing the city empty was sad and surreal. There is a definite sense of finality in The Clone Wars, the age of the Clone Troopers is over. Even more sick Clone naval officers were still operating the damn Venators that opened fire. There was great continuity with the first order of business being to fix the Marauder which got the crap blaster out of this last episode. Though it's up in the air, or maybe underwater is a better way to put it, that shuttle is still going to be there and not blown to smithereens. Poor Gonky.

I don't mind Gregor was dropped off at Cid's because the door is open for him to contact Rex. Echo instructed Omega once that was the backup plan before she blatantly disregarded his orders and arguably set in motion a chain of events that gave Rampart the excuse to obliterate Kamino. Yes, Echo was in fact out front and making tactical decisions. Awesome. He also had his moment actively trying to calm Omega down and comfort her.

Omega got on my nerves again early episode. However, it makes sense she would know all these secrets about Kamino. There is no doubt now she was a personal project or possibly a commission for Nala Se. It's even more interesting this seems to be a common origin for the other four CT-99s and there were tubes a lot more could have been grown in. So not only is Omega's true purpose an enigma but it breathes mystery into the true purpose for the creation of The Bad Batch. Hmmm... somehow my Magical Girl cliche senses are tingling here. Is Omega basically like Sailor Moon and the rest of the Bad Batch meant to be her Inner Sailor Guardians?

Tech is on a losing streak between setting off the alarm last episode and getting outplayed by Crosshair. It was interesting he was the first to toss down his weapon when confronted by Crosshair. Wrecker continues to show maturity in taking over from Hunter as the main parental figure. He tried a few times unsuccessfully to tell Omega what to do. I'll set that problem aside until next season.

Incredibly animated as always this was a great episode that would have been a neat cliff-hanger. I could tell this was a Matt Michnovetz episode because it reminded me of how "Darkness of Umbara" ends.

They didn't even put the title up on Disney+ because it's a spoiler. At least not the last time I loaded the app up on my Roku TV. Maybe it would have been better to wait on announcing season 2. But, I'm just as glad the powers that be saw fit to hand some Youtubers an "L".

Shadao, Sproj and TadoFett like this.
  22. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Wasted opportunities all around.
    What is even the point of inhibitor chips? Every clone trooper and his brother is not loyal anymore. What was the point of boosting Crosshair's chip? When did he remove it? If he did remove it, why didn't they show it, instead of those pointless baby rancor or spice retrieval episodes? If he didn't remove it, why doesn't it work? Do they imply that getting burned destroyed his inhibitor chip? Then why didn't they show Crosshair's change in attitude and motivation more? He was just an NPC in the rest of the episodes that he appeared in, in Ryloth arc specifically. This "revelation" came straight out of nowhere. We only got a single glimpse into his state of mind in the third episode, after he returned from Onderon, and that was before he got burned, if that is what was implied about his inhibitor chip in this episode. After that, he was your typical villain, wanting to shoot them dead. This is why dedicating only ONE HALF OF AN EPISODE to Crosshair in the very beginning of the season was a bad idea. Too much Trandoshan lady mercenary mission, too little of stuff that ACTUALLY MATTERS.
    Don't get me wrong, it looked good and sounded good. I enjoyed Rampart becoming Malak for a second and "wiping out this pathetic planet from the face of the Galaxy", but the writing is just infuriating. Especially considering they wasted this season on so much filler, instead of building up THIS, the stuff that matters. But Crosshair was utterly ignored throughout most of the series, as were Echo and Tech. Ugh.

Alarinne likes this.
  23. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Well that was an excellent episode all round. The revelation genuinely left me stunned, probably for the first time in this entire season.

24. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    Great episode and that ending

25. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Love the use of the Kamino music from AOTC as they arrive on Kamino.

The hidden platform and the tube system felt a little bit too convenient (and the fact that the Empire wouldn't know about this elaborate system by now), but it was still pretty cool. Makes you wonder how much secrets the Kaminoans really have on their planet.

Crosshair's cavalier frame of mind about the Empire is increasingly disturbing. When told that the Empire will be getting rid of the Clones next, it doesn't bother him at all.

The absence of the Kaminoans is really eerie.

Crosshair's pitch to the Bad Batch about joining the Empire was pretty chilling. Very sad that he's unable to see the reasons for the bad batch not following in line.

Was wondering if Crosshair was bluffing about his inhibitor chip being removed or not. I'm guessing no, based on the wound we see on the side of his head. Regardless, the activation of the inhibitor chip must have left some longstanding psychological impact on him that is still effective despite the removal.

That ending was crazy. The Empire gets worse and worse.

Awesome episode.