main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 2.09 - The Crossing - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 14, 2023.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Feb 22, 2023.
  1. 10

9.3%
  2. 9

5.6%
  3. 8

31.5%
  4. 7

22.2%
  5. 6

20.4%
  6. 5

5.6%
  7. 4

5.6%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Liked character development moments, especially Omega and Tech's talk, but did not like stampede scene, it really lacked suitable soundtrack.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I liked this one but this episode is going to depend a lot on how they execute the setups.

First off, what atmosphere flying to the planet with some slow acoustic western vibes? This planet reminded me of Aleena. I was waiting for those little guys to show up. The terrain, the mine, weather like the wrath of the gods again. The abandoned spaceport even reminded me of the camp Wolffe and his men built. Wolffe where are you hanging out these days?

There was a somberness in Omega's mood. The whole team is dealing with Echo's departure in some way but he wasn't a founding member of the gang as Tech bluntly put it. Echo went back to his Daddy and put them on block which is kind of a jerk move even if it's for covert reasons. I feel for The Bad Batch, everyone is quick to call upon their special skills to save their asses. But, who answers the call when The Bad Batch needs their own asses saved? I'm not sure Echo would have made an enormous difference here if he was present either. He demonstrated in the Gungi episode he's just as crappy a lookout as Wrecker is.

I am genuinely ok with this explosive mineral they were after being a MacGuffin and am tired of The Bad Batch losing but this one seems justifiable and could change the status quo based on execution. I was actually expecting the Marauder just to show up at the spaceport and get stolen back. That didn't happen. They didn't quite take a page from The Mandalorian and blow it up. But for now that sucker is gone. This was foreshadowed a few episodes ago when a Tallneck almost destroyed the ship. It's stupid that Tech never installed some way to track it when he did all his modifications. But then the Bad Batch probably figured The Republic would just give them a new ship if something happened when that was a thing. Now they are minus a ship and it doesn't seem like they would have much money to even salvage a ship from the junkyard.

This was a nice episode for Omega, to her Echo was always part of The Bad Batch because she came in after they joined. She saw them as a family. A point of view Tech never considered until she said it. They were just a band of soldiers up until then. It was sweet how Tech jumped to save her. In past episodes, he's the one who has gotten in the way of her following off crevises or just Wrecker. That's important. What really struck me in that conversation is not only did Tech say he respected Echo's decision, but he respects Crosshair's.

I wonder if that is an admission Tech has entertained if joining the Empire would be logical. The prediction is Crosshair is going to eventually Heel Face Turn on the Empire in favor of The Bad Batch but what if Tech does a Face Heel Turn on The Bad Batch? He made no attempt to hide how fed up he is with Cid when they called her for help. Cid is showing her colors there. It wasn't just tech either. Even Omega seemed done. I was rooting for them to tell her to shove it.

The Marauder could also be a wild card depending on where it shows up since we have two other POVs it could fly into. Potentially Three if we consider characters who popped up and flew a shuttle last season. I just can't help remembering when Hera walked about the Marauder. But it could be recovered next episode. I think I'm going to hold off grading this one until then.

And I liked the Stampede scene with cool-looking alien Elands. I guess Wildebeest already look to alien.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  3. Dangerous Profession

Dangerous Profession Jedi Padawan

Jun 21, 2021
    Was that Hondo that stole the marauder ??

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    For me this was another one of those episodes that are easily passable. It's back to working for Cid; and as soon as I knew that's what they were doing on this planet, I figured the story may be an acquired taste. There was a little suspense, especially when Omega and Tech fell through the shaft. It seemed to be more of a psychological episode, where Omega is trying to get the company to miss Echo's departure as much as she does. And she's also trying to improve on a relationship with Tech. The biggest mystery left for the next episode is who stole their ship.

It didn't look like Hondo; at least those feathers coming down from the thief's hat seemed off. And I can't imagine Hondo stooping so low as to just stealing ships now.

Sproj likes this.
  5. ToughLuck32

ToughLuck32 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2023
    I liked this episode more than most did, I guess.

Though, I think Disney should have made this and next week's episode "Retrieval" (which I think will be about retrieving the Marauder and getting off the planet, which will happen as seen in the version of the S2 trailer from Celebration) both come out today.

cwustudent, Riv_Shiel and Sproj like this.
  6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I thought it was a child.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    What a beautiful episode, in all aspects.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Finally, a little more character development for Ω.
    Tech remains by far my favorite TBB character, and one of my favorites in Star Wars in general.
    The conversation between Tech and Ω by the waterfall was pretty great.
    Unlike the recent movies, TBB manages to generate feelings to me, and I love it for that.

8. ToughLuck32

Feb 8, 2023
    My favorite is Echo.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Crossing" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

10. ToughLuck32

Feb 8, 2023
    I'm gonna give it a 10/10 because this episode was not what I expected it to be.

Siphonophore and cwustudent like this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I gave it a 6/10 as I said before it was a passible episode; and to me it was what I expected to be considering the bulk of the episodes this season.

Generational Fan, Sarge and Sproj like this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m really shocked some seem down on this episode. I thought it was by far one of the best of the series if not the best. Tech struggling to make Omega understand that he does feel things even if it’s differently from the others was a really powerful scene. Some really great visuals too. Just a wonderful episode all around.

13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    meh episode. 5/10. Hoping part 2 is better.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Right now this episode sits at a 7 for me. I really did like it. It was nice to get a direct follow-up on Echo's departure. The heart-to-heart between Tech and Omega got deep. And, everybody seems to be getting sick of Cid. Even Omega. It was just nice to get that character focus and let the action take a back seat. The main thing holding this episode back is my reservation about if The Bad Batch is really going to pull off the execution of what they set up. I also get tired of seeing The Bad Batch never come out on top even if this one is justified. Also, disappointed the guy who stole the Maurader isn't Hondo.

I feel like we may still be in the 3rd part of an arc with the last two. "The Crossing" is equivalent to "The Box" and this could get elevated to a 10 if the last part is great. Or, this is "Missing in Action" and the arc is going to stub its toe in the last part which will keep it a 7. We'll see.

Generational Fan and Sproj like this.
  15. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I'm shocked that some don't seem down on this episode (not really, just thought I would throw in some hyperbole). But to elaborate further, it isn't this episode is bad, very few of them are, it is just that it continues the disjointed nature of the show. We just had two really, really excellent episodes and while this one was ok, it was nowhere near the level of the previous 2 or even 3. It seemed like we finally got some momentum here only for them to go back to Cid who is, I'm sorry, a totally boring character as it stands. I personally don't care about her at all. If she was killed off at the very start of next episode and we never heard of her again, I doubt many of us would even care, in fact I dare say some of us would breathe a sigh of relief.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference but they could have still had the really good parts of this episode, basically the Echo fall out in any setting on any mission but it would have been nice if these guys were also dealing with the massive fallout from last episode and who knows, run into some other clones or something and keep pushing to the inevitable clone rebellion that seems to be obviously coming.

I personally fear we are going to keep spinning our wheels until the last 3 or 4 episodes when suddenly everything that has been set up suddenly get Rise of Skywalker'd and smashed through with no time to breathe.

Generational Fan likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The mines of Moria... again. Look, I'm as big a fan of Tolkien as anybody, but let's have a different setting, please!

Rhea Perlman is great. The writers need to put her and Cid to better use.

Yeah, that was the point. Tech may be a socially inept nerd, but he's got a heart and showed it by risking his life for Omega.

His scenes with Omega were far less painful than I expected. The writers are letting him talk more like a human being in this one.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I give this one a 7/10.

18. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I liked this episode well enough, I have a feeling The Batch will rejoin their brother Echo and start working directly with Rex, instead of their menial jobs for Cid. I liked the character moments we've seen, and don't consider this type of episode filler.

19. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    What you mentioned about Omega even appearing to be over Cid was my take too. When Cid refuses to help initially, the expression on Omega's face and in her eyes was a genuine "WTF!"

You could almost see the words swirling around in her mind........"after everything we have done for you. We saved your damn life Cid!"

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Even if they lose the rest of the not-Coaxium, I hope they can at least use the repository of it they found to get SOME kind of payment out of all this

Generational Fan, Sproj and Sarge like this.
  21. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    After two great episodes right back down into the swamp of mediocrity

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Good episode.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hopefully, we are getting closer to them parting ways. I will give Bonus points to Cid if she reveals later she sold The Marauder which isn't even her ship behind their back and sent The Bad Batch on a Meiloorun run so the buyer could "pick it up". The only thing worth more points would be Hondo or maybe more Cad Bane in the next episode.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  24. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I enjoyed the character conflicts/development in this one but I'm wondering why they're stretching it out into (presumably) a 2-parter. Now the Gungi episode; that had a lot of potential meat on the bone and should have been stretched out in to a 2 or 3 parter, but getting they're ship stolen while on a mission being multi-episode? Seems stretching it thin but I'll reserve full judgement until I see next weeks episode; I hope there's more to it than just some random thievery. Animation and music were excellent as usual. Cid is a ***** but I kinda like that about her; they're definitely building to some kind of conflict between her and the Batch, they're just taking their sweet time doing it so I understand complaints about her character seeming static. 5/10

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I suspect that the ship thief was somebody significant to the story. If not, why the mask? The way they were shown, it's like they were supposed to be mysterious and intriguing. Anybody have any suggestions on who it might be?