main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 2.10 - Retrieval - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 21, 2023.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Mar 1, 2023.
  1. 10

3.8%
  2. 9

5.7%
  3. 8

18.9%
  4. 7

28.3%
  5. 6

22.6%
  6. 5

11.3%
  7. 4

5.7%
  8. 3

1.9%
  9. 2

1.9%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I was into this one slightly more than last week. The actual BB crew took to the backseat, it was all Omega (which I didn't mind). The mining town was a cool setting. Tech's the only member of the crew who they seem keen on developing. Hunter and Wrecker are just there at this point, but I don't feel like anything substantial has been done with them in some time. 6/10

2. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm ready for whatever they have next, all these side quests have made our heroes more interesting. With The Bad Batch being my only other weekly TV offering, it's a nice change of pace from the emotional seriousness of The Last of Us. Next week our heroes will be competing with The Mandalorian as well, I'm still not finished with this show yet!

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This was a really solid episode. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The crime boss was a fun villain of the week. I really do like when they push the A-Team in space aspect of the show so I hope they do more episodes like this.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    On the contrary, I think if anything the Batch are now a lot less likely to continue working for Cid after everything they witnessed here. They even got offworld on their own, heavily reducing their dependency on her. All season we've been seeing the Batch encounter these little conflicts that convince them that their skills are being wasted on fetch quests when they could be helping the downtrodden folks of the galaxy.

5. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I like the idea of a former Techno Union mine being taken over after the war because it's another example of showing the aftermath of the Clone Wars and giving the galaxy a sense of lived-in reality. That is something this show does really well.

That said, this episode was ho-hum for me. It never made me care about the plight of the miners, the villain was uninspired, and the plot was cliché (The miners overthrew their tyrannical boss? Would would have thought!). I was hoping the two-parter nature of this arc was going to lead into something special, but it turned out to be just another mission of the week.

I think what's frustrating about this show is that we all know the Bad Batch will eventually join up with Rex and, once they do, the show will likely pick up. It's like if the OT was a TV show and you spent the first two seasons following Luke having random adventures on Tatooine, all the while knowing that Obi-Wan is there, trying to convince him to learn the ways of the Force and come with him to Alderaan.

6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Congrats to Omega, she met her first Solo-esque bad boy.

Really liked the droids' design, it reminded of the Cylons.

7. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    I was wondering about that huge deposit: Who does it belong to? The Batch stumbled upon it after they left Cid's mine, and I don't think it's connected to hers. Was it just abandoned?

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Eh, this episodes plot was cliche and overdone, definitely a step down from some of the previous episodes IMHO.

9. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Benni: "Hey, if you ever need a thief I owe you one." Foreshadowing?

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yawn. Predictable, dull, cliched, and heavy-handed moralizing.

Was anyone else annoyed that the show-makers went to a big effort to disguise the thief and make him seem mysterious and important, and he turned out to be nobody we'd ever seen or heard of, and might never hear from again?

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "Retrieval" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

12. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    It's Star Wars, a lot of people wear masks for the sake of it. :kylo:

13. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Well that was lame. Zzzzzz

Theo333, Sproj and Sarge like this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well the follow-up to last week's cliffhanger wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. I gave it a 6/10. So the ship's thief is a kid who lives in a sort of Oliver Twist-esque theme where Fagin is represented by Maako (sp). The ship would've been lost forever had it not been for the Gonk droid that Omega located with a tracking tweak. The story played out sort of predictably, so long as you picked up the hints. Maako was keeping the earnings to himself, and when Benny finds out, he uses that as fuel to rally the troops and evoke revolution.

The Shadow Emperor and Sarge like this.
  15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    This episode reminded me of BTAS: The Underdwellers and The Forgotten.

Reepicheep775 likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Another good episode

17. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I don't remember and I am certainly not going to back to re-watch but didn't they bag some really high grade stuff last week or was that the stuff that blew up?

18. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The good thing about this show is that it's never going to spoil or ruin anything else. They may be 'special' but they could all get wiped out by a stray asteroid and no one would notice. That's probably why I enjoy it, it's 'elevator music' Star Wars.

cwustudent likes this.
  19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    That may be so; until you see a grown up Omega showing up in the next TBOBF season.

Darth MikeSin likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Will she help to make the price of water fair?

21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Recycling ideas from TBOBF? At first, I wasn't impressed with this episode. I built it up into something larger. That it just wasn't. The Bad Batch plays things pretty safe compared to TCW. I mean if Anakin and Ahsoka had rocked up on this place in The Clone Wars this Macco guy would have ended up impaled on a lightsaber by the end of it when Anakin lost his **** on him.

I would have been interested in seeing what Echo would have thought about coming to a former Techno Union mine. This would have been a cooler detail with that added context. I'm not sure conditions would have been much better then if the atrocities on Ryloth and Skako Minor are anything to go by. That probably made it easy for a crime boss to get control. But its just something mentioned and I am really missing Echo now.

It doesn't help that "The Theif" is such a vanilla or uninteresting character. I like lovable idiots or losers like Lux and Syril and he wasn't it. This was probably unfortunate because Omega was supposed to bounce off him as a more interesting character and she is way more interesting. She is realizing what a harsh a messed up place the galaxy is even without the Empire. This is the same thing folks were feeling when they were over the scapegoated Jedi and Palpatine pulled the noose.

Gonky saved the day! Really it was nice to see The Bad Batch win. And not just win but they were way OP opponents for the Crime Boss even without the mob that forced Macco's attempt at, "If I'm going and you're coming with me to hell" while channeling Zira from The Lion King 2. When the Bad Batch is working for themselves or helping others their skills shine. Just like in the second episode of the season when Tech helped the old man on Serenno.

Cid is not on the level of this Crime Boss so I don't think they are interchangeable. But there was a time last season when The Bad Batch was getting jerked around working just to afford food. They have to realize that she can't really make them do anything. She doesn't own them like she thinks she does. They would be just as OP if they decided to take Cid down. I don't think it'll ever come to this. I'm still banking on a western style standoff in the bar when Cid betrays albeit forced.

Honestly, this field trip to look for exploding wonder ore feels sketchy, like a diversion or setup if there was an active mine on the planet the whole time. And who would have sold Cid the little one with one deposit? Was Cid in on something? Was she in on something with the boss here? Or did she send them on a wild goose chase?

Both Omega and Tech are awake now. Omega still doesn't know what she can't do and because of that she'll still want The Bad Batch to help everyone and Tech likes using his skills to help people. Hopefully, they'll lead the metamorphosis because The Bad Batch doesn't need Cid. Wrecker is fine. It's Hunter that is still a problem cool as he was when he caught Omega and was intimidating the thief. Hunter needs some sort of major shock to get him out of this high-functioning heroic blue screen of death he has been in.

6/10... slightly more than half-good stuff. I think better is coming. These guys are on their way to becoming the Star Wars equivalent of The Rescue Rangers. Chip is almost as boring as Hunter most of the time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    darkspine10 likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    A good episode 7/10.

23. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Well so far Crosshair and Chuchi episodes were the best.. this one is once again a bit meh but at the end of the day I'm not the target audience for this show to get excited about that kind of stories.. still hoping we will get more episodes like those 3 as they were stellar!

cwustudent and nilzo antonio like this.
  24. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I can't vote for it yet. I need to watch it again, but my first viewing did not hold my attention.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I think the main problem is that Crosshair and Chuchi ( when you understand where the story is going and also showing the Republic mutating into the Empire) were WAY BETTER episodes than the rest, everything else feels like just a fill in. Even if you consider this a show for children, the repitiveness and the lack of stakes of most episodes make it a boring watch.
    One thing i noticed and maybe it's just me, but in may app early in the season when the episodes drop they were proeminently showed in the start page banner; now, 10 episodes later, there's nothing there, no emphasis , not even the information about a new episode.
    My feeling is that the ratings/minutes views for this (deservedly so) are horrible and Disney expect this to be over soon.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023