main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 3.05 - The Return - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 5, 2024.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Mar 13, 2024.
  1. 10

9.8%
  2. 9

9.8%
  3. 8

39.0%
  4. 7

17.1%
  5. 6

17.1%
  6. 5

4.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.4%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 3.05!!
    The Return

-------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a day or two before it airs on Disney+.

(2) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(3) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced. Speculation based on released material is permitted.

(4) The Bad Batch episodes air on Wednesday on Disney+. Anyone who shares plot details about an episode before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts without tags which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(5) All leaks and rumors must be spoiler tagged until they are either proven or disproven.

(6) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

bad-batch-declassified-the-return-gift_302bbaab.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    whostheBossk and DLCV like this.
  2. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Somehow Mance Windu returned

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Bold choice to change the opening theme music to Elvis singing Return to Sender.

Guidman , Sproj and whostheBossk like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Somehow Palpatine returned

bold choice making the Palpatine seen in rebels and the OT a clone and having Gonky kill the original Palpatine.

5. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    No way did I see Jar Jar popping out from being Crosshair and saying "hello boyos messa back"

6. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Look a crossover between Star Wars and Independence Day was not what anyone was expecting but Earth dropping the nuke on Mandalore resulting in the rise of the Pacific Rim rift was not what anyone was expecting...did it work? Absolutely not but I admire their guts to try.

What was a light bulb moment though was that all this time, Star Wars has been paving the way for all of these monsters of the week to lead to a Mandoverse and Monsterverse cross over. Who knew that the Zillo beast was Godzilla's great ancestor.

Happy Sando and Sarge like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If Alderaan is Earth, why is the Statue of Liberty buried on Tatooine? This made no sense. But you’re right, it was definitely bold!

Bibliora, Happy Sando and Sarge like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They subverted my expectations

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I loved all the "somehow [character] returned" jokes! So meta.

10. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Well, this was Ahsoka all over again. Last week's cliffhanger resolved off-screen. That was a mistake. Should have started where we left off immediately. And, I guess, that answers the question: they'd talked about Tech off-screen as well. That's annoying.

There were a few good character interactions between Hunter and Crosshair, but not nealry enough for an episode that was 26 minutes long, and the bulk of it was the usual: another stupid monster of the week, more dull, boring, predictable action sequences with said monster of the week, while the characters need to get the data from some console.

Pretty meh.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well it was good to return to the outpost. Much more introspective than I thought it would be.

anyway no time to discuss but I liked it a lot.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Pretty good episode, with callback to the Outpost.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Due to Darth Real Life, I haven't been able to watch the earlier episodes when they dropped, but I finally caught up this morning. So far this season is knocking it out of the park. The past two episodes haven't been quite as strong as the opening trilogy, but since those were probably the strongest episodes of the series that's not surprising. They've still been really good.

I do think the writers recently watched Jurassic Park, with the Gallimimus last week and Wrecker swithing on the breakers this week. :p

Anyway, so far I'm enjoying this season more than the first two, and I can't wait to where it's going.

14. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    It looked like it was just going to me a mini-quest of the week episode, but we got action, some overall story progression, the team back together, and real conversation and continued growth for Crosshair and Hunter. Thumbs up!

*Please* let Crosshair keep his (superior) OG BB uniform colors next week!

"The return" to a planet from one of my favorite episodes in the entire series was cool.

Sno-hulud and anti-thumpers!

The nods -- great.

It's really close, but Crosshair has been my favorite BBer since Day 1, and getting more insight into his thoughts and dealing with his actions as he reintegrates into the team narrowly pushes this episode into first place for me.

My ranking through 5 episodes:
    5, 2, 1, 4, 3

15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Having just seen DUNE 2, the snow/ice worm in this episode was quite a coincidence. I'm not sure if the BB team planned it that way.
    I really enjoyed the dialogue between Omega, Crosshair, and Hunter. Really good character building.
    Looking forward to the next episode!

Etav Byx likes this.
  16. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    The character work in this show (which far too many still dismiss as "a cartoon for kids") continues to be near-perfect. It would've been so easy to make this twenty minutes about securing the data and running around in the snow with a big monster, but all of that stuff, whilst awesome and fun and visually stunning, was entirely superfluous. This show cares about its characters so damn much, and that's why I love it.

Also, this was one of those episodes which showcased the genius of Dee Bradley Baker's performance(s). Whole scenes of him just talking to himself in a booth, and yet I was entirely convinced that I was watching a bunch of unique individuals hold interesting conversations with one another.

17. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    "Why is there always a huge monster?" Don't worry, I wonder the exact same thing too Wrecker. I did like the throwback to Outpost and the talk between Hunter and Crosshair at the end. 7/10

Grimby , Slater, Bor Mullet and 4 others like this.
  18. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    I was wondering about the timing too. It's not the first, apparently, coincidental release. Last season the tsunami episode aired just after the anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake/tsunami.

19. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I really enjoyed this episode, probably more than I thought I would with yet another monster but the character progression was excellent and going back to the outpost and seeing that all that loss of life and sacrifice of the clones was for absolutely nothing, that cuts. I like that Crosshair is the one to end up effectively apologising and all after a hug from Wrecker. The pacing in this episode was once again great and look, we knew it was coming but the clone rebellion seems the end goal of the season. They are going to take down Tantiss but the majority of them are going to go down doing it.

This season is still on track to go down as one of the greatest in all Star Wars. It sucks having to wait a week to the next ep.

Slater, Bibliora and my kind of scum like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Right before my 4 midterms start today I want to say I did find it extremely funny when Omega called Crosshair her little brother. It’s true. But man is it funny

Bibliora likes this.
  21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    This was like that one level in Jedi Academy when you go to Arrakis and run away from a giant sandworm while repairing your ship.

6/10

Sarge, Etav Byx and Force Nexus like this.
  22. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Fine episode, with good action, however, should be more tension between the crew, i would love to see the scene after the last episode.

8/10.

23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I don’t mind. Sometimes it’s just best to let bygones be bygones. I wanna see the team functioning as a whole unit again without bickering.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Amen to that. Less bickering and more action and team work!
    Good episode as it established them working out the kinks. Another giant monster (more like beast) chase. Returning to this planet allowed Crosshair to reflect and then progress however my thoughts were he should be waaaay past bickering after what he's been through. I expected an apology and a more reformed man. Otherwise why would he even be allowed to go on the mission as they just argued After arriving?

I first thought after watching Season twos finaley when Hemlock said take them to Eriadu right in front of TBB, that was a giveaway to where Tantiss was but I was wrong.
    Look forward to adding more pieces to the clone Rebellion puzzle next week. Maybe add more lost clones would be a start.

25. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    Decent episode. Lovely character work for the team and I loved getting to see Crosshair get back to where he turned from the Empire. Seeing Pabu again was fun too. The tension between Hunter and Crosshair was great and seeing Echo again was neat, though it does sometimes feel like he gets up to more exciting stuff than the rest of the team. Like Wrecker however I'm tired of giant monsters and I honestly hope we don't see anotherone this season.

7/10 for a solid episode.