main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2021.

1. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    They were magnificent indeed, both visually and narratively. Still, from purely emotional point of view, my favorite is the Rebels' finale: the galaxy's greatest military mind overcome not by war tactics but by the ultimate Jedi sacrifice executed through full surrender to the Living Force. With this episode Filoni demonstrated again why he is Lucas's best apprentice.

2. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    These latest two episodes prove even further, whenever Rex is involved in anything, Star Wars enters phenomenal territory.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Sounds good, I know episode 12 is Crosshair centric episode.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Has there ever been a greater quality jump than the the massive leap from episode 6 to episodes 7-8? The political intrigue was really well done (with the animation and music setting a perfectly sinister tone), the spy and assassin elements intersected with it very effectively (perhaps taking cues from Andor, though obviously and appropriately for the medium, a little less opaque), the action was quite original (a battle inside a massive docked Venator-class ship was pretty neat, with ships being deployed within the hangar and the exit via the escape pod), and the finale was both an excellent twist AND a logical extension of everything that had happened prior - the right way to do a cameo as well. Coruscant never looked better either. Great, cinematic animation, especially with the environments. All really excellent.

That said, the animated shows have a habit of pulling the rug out from that high quality in frustrating ways, and this two-parter did manage a little of that.

1. Why did they make it so that first clone sent a message to Rampart first, giving him the option of coming clean? Do the writers have to make him that stupid just to portray him as the extra-good guy? If they needed him to be killed, they should've simply had some of the loyalist clones rat him out. Not have him serve himself up to Rampart on a platter of stupid.

2. Why in the world would Chuchi strongly hint that she was onto Rampart in that office visit with him? Not only did she put herself in danger, but she also put the whole line of investigation (and the lives of all the clones who witnessed Rampart's crime) in danger. You don't need to make your characters extraordinarily dumb just to underline that they are honest and speak their mind. In this case, she did not have to speak her mind directly to Rampart.

3. At the end, why did they have to say that Palpatine had fooled them "all along" and that it was his plan the whole time for Rampart to take the fall for what happened on Kamino? Making him the mastermind in the whole thing is absurd, giving what the episodes already showed us. If he intended to frame Rampart as part of a plot to get his stormtrooper army, why wouldn't Palpatine himself just have his people get the data from the Venator class and be the one to heroically expose the Admiral himself, as opposed to guessing that someone might come forward? Far more believable and compelling would have been Palpatine simply seizing the opportunity of Rampart's exposure, as it seemed he did, and using it to his political advantage - a savage and ruthless political operator. Why dumb down that much more interesting possibility by once again having him be the mastermind in a pretty silly way?

Don't get me wrong. This was a really excellent couple episodes of TBB. On par with the final string of episodes of TCW. It's just frustrating when something almost reaches the stratosphere in quality, and the writers...decided to pull on that rug.

In other words, the high quality of the episodes makes my criticism seem more intense. But that's the point. There was a ton of good, and if those three things had been addressed, these episodes would have nearly perfect.
    Nah. All it proves is that when the writers write great episodes that connect to the larger story in a compelling way, and the animators and score complement that quality, you get great episodes. Their contact could have been anybody, really. Didn't need to be Rex. Though it made a lot of sense to be him, and his role was well-written.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  5. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I have not watched the latest two episodes yet waiting for the wife to get home from work, but does anybody know why they released two at the same time?

I did however peruse the two episode threads and it seems like these are a lot better quality than the previous ones we got. I'm thinking the bad batch might be best viewed as auxiliary World building, which is not bad, especially if the show is sandwiched between more important shows like Andor or the Mandalorian

Generational Fan and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Yeah that was dumb writing. I don't think anybody in their right mind would try to guilt trip their commanding officer to revealing information of wrong-doing that they commited. I really think that the shows biggest issue is the writers.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    the writing been great all out.

8. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    Not with the fifth episode of this season.

9. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Organa and Palpatine were in Tales of the Jedi recently. I wonder if models/actors were needed here, and Tales of the Jedi produced later? Prob means Ahsoka is coming to TBB.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    the writing there was decent, it was a simple treasure hunt, and we saw Omega connecting with the pirate.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  11. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    But it could have been greater.

So Slip is somehow in contact with Rex who knows the only people who actually survived the bombing of Kamino. Parts of this stretches reasonable belief.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Rex says he mad lots of contacts and they were part of the same unit during the war.

Slater, Generational Fan and Sproj like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode guides are finally up for season 2, including today's episodes.

14. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Huh the planet they were on in the racing episode was originally created for the unproduced Boba Fett/Cad Bane Clone Wars arc.

The guide for Tribe also calls those creatures 'netcasters', not kinrath, but does mention they were inspired by the kinrath.

cwustudent likes this.
  17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Edit: never mind

18. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    They’ve started doing episode guides again?

19. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Wife and I just watched both episodes back to back and we loved it, this was massively great storytelling in animation form. The other thing I find funny is not only is the story far superior, the animation seems to be superior in these episodes too.

Although I will say agai, even in the show's siller forms, bad batch has way more in common with andor than something as goofy as Obi-Wan Kenobi. Thank god.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am very curious to see where they take the second half of the season

cwustudent likes this.
  21. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I expect the next 2 or 3 episodes to be a return to missions of the week and then the very end of the season will be Mount Tantiss stuff.

22. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    They dropped all of of the aired ones (including today's episodes) today.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Convenient. -Han Solo :p

Got any fresh Twitter spoilers? [face_praying]

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m surprised the budget is starting to show on this show. The halls of the senate were empty. But the number of background characters we used to see

The clone bar being packed made the relative scarcity later stand out.

the episodes still look beautiful.

I did not expect Palpatine to show up. That was a series highlight.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Apparently its only one or two Cid missions left and then its the big story coming in. So episode 9 and 10 as a breather before going full in.