main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2021.

1. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    It was fantastic to see Palpatine as the master manipulator again and it’s always great to see Rex!

It makes sense for Echo to leave the Bad Batch and go with Rex. He joined them because that’s where he felt he belonged and now his feeling of belonging lays elsewhere. Whether the creators do it or not I’m not sure, but having Echo go with Rex now offers another storyline perspective to explore. We’ve got:
    1) Bad Batch - Whatever they’re up to
    2) Crosshair - What the empire are up to
    3) Rex and Echo - Looking to free disillusioned clones

While the Bad Batch could have been a perfectly good vessel to explore the galaxy with, these two episodes have shown me that the show may have been better off being named something else, as more of a continuation of TCW rather than having to cram the BB into every story thread

2. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019

Well see you episode 11 I guess. I don’t care about acid and her episodes at all.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Lol, i enjoy the fun silly episodes, same as with clone wars and rebels.

4. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I really like all of your points Bor and really agree with them, but the one that resonates the most with me is point 3.

Unlike what Rex says at the end, like yours, my read of the events that occurred in the Senate Chamber was one of damage control. Despite all of the accusations by Chuchi, despite all of the too-ing and fro-ing between Senators and despite all of Rampart's arrogant denials, the only time Palpatine's pod raises from the floor was when the physical evidence of the attack on Kamino is shown to the Senate. And even in animation, the anger in Palpatine's eyes is clearly evident as he skewers both Chuchi and Bail Organa. Then, to save the face of the Empire and continue the illusion that this is a good government and he is a good leader, Palpatine assumes damage control by throwing Rampart under the bus in saying this is some sort of lone wolf attack. Palpatine had been letting things play out until the risk to the Empire had been too great - and he hadn't been prepared for this. But in true Palpatine form, he shrewdly makes the situation work for him by saving face and by passing the bill. So I too don't like the Rex phrase and I hope it can just be viewed as a throw-away line like "oh, I knew they'd do that".

Because to expand on your point from how I see things and like things in Star Wars, I don't like the idea of an "all-knowing" eye. This ventures dangerously close to superhero/villain territory and where the Star Wars Superhero/Villains are concerned, I like the idea that they can succumb to the same emotions as others and can have their plans twarted by the average Joe Blow.

Like with TPM, Palpatine loses Maul beyond his control, but seizes opportunity by starting to narrow in on Anakin. Then the Clones appear at the Battle of Geonosis; yet another unplanned and unknown part to his grand plan. But again, Palpatine seizes opportunity for a Grand army, emergency powers and to prolong a war that effectively sends Jedi away from Coruscant and to all corners of the Galaxy. Then there is Anakin fearing to lose Padme, then there is Luke as a replacement for his father and so on. Palpatine doesn't plan for all of this, but adapts effectively each time to the variables of the equation he creates. Some can argue Operation Cinder. But this was only a contingency in case of his demise brought on by moments of doubt in Vader and his commitment to the Dark Side.

Palpatine is a master manipulator....true. But this doesn't mean his plans can't be undone to a limited degree by something he could not plan for or control.

I think Rex's line needs to be just a throw-away line and not have the narrative say that he planned to have this done to Rampart. It cheapens the narrative and does what you said it does Bor.

Slater, Lomer2012, cwustudent and 2 others like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Exactly. Great points. Palpatine as a “master manipulator” is far more interesting than him as “mastermind.” And though the difference between those two things might seem like semantics to some, they are actually very significant - and can make a big difference in the quality of the writing and drama.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  6. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Palatine was in the trailer

cwustudent likes this.
  7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Not everyone watches trailers to avoid spoilers.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  8. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Its spoilers that they actually put out to intice the audience.

9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Considering that the Kashyyk episode was near perfect, yes, there have been millions if not billions of greater quality jumps :p

But I agree with everything you said about Episodes 2X07 and 2X08. And now I am going to go and read it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  10. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Is "tipping point" another term for fulcrum? Episode 14, right before the finale, is Tipping Point.

12. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I'm guessing its gonna have something to do with the clones rebelling. That's what they've seem to be hinting at.

tip·ping point

noun
    1. the point at which a series of small changes or incidents becomes significant enough to cause a larger, more important change.
    2. the critical point in a situation, process, or system beyond which a significant and often unstoppable effect or change takes place

13. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I'm actually finding myself missing the C-3PO and R2-D2 outings. It feels like it's been so long.

Why not have some of the Batch do a job for Bail involving the droids (who are still establishing a dynamic post Threepio's memory wipe) which could also tie in Fulcrum? Probably a case of careful-what-you-wish-for, but I'm feeling nostalgic.

14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I too am getting a little tired of following the Bad Batch around on their various missions. The past two episodes have been much more interesting where they weren't the focus.

15. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Wonder if we'll see the other members of Delta Squad at some point, given we saw Scorch training the next generation on Daro during S1

Maybe they're at Mount Tantiss getting turned into Phase Zero/One Dark Troopers as a "reward" for their loyal service to the Republic Empire

clone commander bossk likes this.
  16. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I would absolutely love that ( I'm pretty sure I heard something about them from a twitter post)

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    In my head canon that last planet is Aleena. I don't care what any episode guide says.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think we’ve seen enough of season 2 to know the series for this season has turned into much more of an episodic weekly adventure series with the Batch getting into a problem they need to solve.

At the same time there is large river arcing story slowly happening in the background which may or may nit connect these unconnected episodes.

This isn’t bad. It’s what the show is. I just need to check my expectations that this isn’t The Clone Wars.

There is so much to like about this series. The animation is beautiful. The locations and lightning standout. The character animation is so becoming more fluid and able to visual convey subtle emotions.

It will really be fun in two weeks when we are getting two Star Wars series at the same time with Mando returning.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    pronker and cwustudent like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol that sounds exactly TCW. Except TBB has a much stronger overarching narrative than TCW ever had except in small doses, and only really in its back half.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I repeat rewatch early Clone Wars or Rebels.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I feel The Clone Wars for most of its run is made of three and four episode story arcs that work like a series of movies. And then all of those arcs are pieces that fit into the larger puzzle which is the clone wars. And all of it is pushing the story of Star Wars from Attack of the clones to the state of the galaxy in Revenge of the Sith. It’s also setting up the Mandalorian with the story and establishment of Mandalore.

cwustudent likes this.
  22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Were you one of the poor fans who was told to skip Season One of TCW? Season one is largely episodic just like this with exceptions like The Blue Shadow Virus episodes which don't feel largely important to any over arching plots. But like this episode Blue Shadow Virus has great character moments. Here Omega and Tech share great character moments in response to the overarch that Echo and before that Crosshair departed. Echo really seems like a jerk for turning off his communicator even if he has a great reason. I can feel how isolated The Bad Batch are. Rex is quick to call them for help but who is there for The Bad Batch in return? Cid's real colors were on display. Feels like the status quo is starting to change to me.

That wasn't a knock on S1 of TCW BTW. It's very underrated and has many gems in it. Chuchi was introduced in one of those.

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m a big fan of the clone war. I didn’t skip any episodes. I watched it as it aired and watch all of them multiple times in rewatches. Seems to me a good portion of season 1 stand alone episodes get retroactively become part of multi episode story arcs.

Even blue shadow virus is a two episode story.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    As am I. Blue Shadow Virus and Mystery of a Thousand Moons hold a special place in my heart because they are campy gooey goodness. They fit as puzzle pieces for Anakin and Obi-wan's relationship, Ahsoka's development, and even Padme's views on the Clones for the Pursuit of Peace. But TCW is never as direct as following up on Echo's departure with an actual discussion between characters about his departure in the next episode or arc. TCW would have come back to this in two seasons or left it in the gap for us to figure out the next time Echo popped up. But that was the appeal of TCW. Not being spoon-fed.

25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    There’s a reason why I don’t revisit TCW before season 3, or Rebels before Twilight of the Apprentice.

cwustudent likes this.