main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Baseball Draft Four - (Literally) Out of the Park

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Dec 21, 2020.

?

NAME YOUR LEAGUE

Poll closed Dec 30, 2020.
  1. fodeuss. it's pronounced "fuh-doose" = "field of dreams expanded universe, starring shaq"

53.8%
  2. Second Sorta Annual Neverending Dynasty League Of Twits. The SANDLOT.

46.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Is there an option to sell keepers for more picks still?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I assume we can trade players in the off-season for other teams to keep in exchange for other players for us to keep, IntyBucks, or future draft considerations?

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i made a few offseason deals like that last season, but kate is referring to this:

a star war and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Keeper years:

Ty Cobb, 1911
    Cal Ripken, 1991
    Bryce Harper, 2015

And with our apparent excess riches, we will be adding a fourth keeper, because I felt terrible abandoning him to the horrible fate of possibly playing for a playoff team:

Lefty Grove, 1930

Amazing.

5. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    No strong preference on the divisions. Of the options presented, #1 I guess. But I'd also be down for geographic. The West Coast is the best of all the Coasts.

Our AAA affiliate is The Sudden Valley Cornballers out in the Arizona desert.

Keeper years:

Ven Griffey Jr. - 1997
    Corey Kluber - 2014
    Randy Johnson - 1995
    Charlie Bender - 1907

And assuming customs ballparks are staying (which looks to be the case), the San Francisco Six Demon Bags of Chinatown would like to unveil their brand new home. Partnering with David Lo Pan and the Wing Kong Exchange, we have purchased, retrofitted, modernized and completely transformed Alcatraz Island into a state of the art baseball diamond.

[​IMG]

(I have no photoshop skills, so I'll do my best to paint a good mental image.)

We've done our best to preserve and incorporate some of the historical buildings, but of course some of it had to go. The outfield takes up most of what used to be the parade grounds on the Southern end of the island. The outfield is perfectly symmetrical in its dimensions.

335' down each line
    377' in the gaps
    405' to straightaway center

Outfield walls are 9' high from one end to the other.

There is also very little foul ground, modeled as close as possible to modern day Dodger Stadium.

There is only four rows of bleachers and the bullpens out there. Not even a big screen. Egg Shen and Lo Pan have combined their efforts to use magic (the darkest magic) to give us a really cool "big screen" that appears out past dead center when it needs to, and then disappears when not needed, allowing the fans to soak in the stunning panoramic view of the city of San Francisco and the Bay Bridge.

The vast majority of the seating is behind home plate and the infield. Think... Hollywood Bowl seating.

[​IMG]

Only way more seats, and they go up at much sharper upward angle. The nosebleeds sit about 300 feet above the playing field. Max capacity is 42,000 fans.

The overall park aesthetic is inspired by Lo Pan's ceremonial chamber.

[​IMG]

Lots and lots of neon, lots of torches. Wind, fire! All that kind of thing!

Welcome to Three Storms Field!

The Rock... has become a baseball field?! - John Patrick Mason

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Franchise keeper: Greg Maddux
    Keeper: Ernie Banks
    Keeper: Hank Aaron
    Keeper: Fergie Jenkins

Keep all the same years.

Wang Chi and heels1785 like this.
  7. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018

So...if you have Hank Aaron, does that mean I can't get Hank Aaron? Cause I was planning on Hank Aaron.[face_plain]

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Unfortunately yes. Each player can only appear once on one team, regardless of year, except for the Babe Ruth rule (two Babes allowed: one pitcher, one outfielder). So keepers are off-limits for you and me.

9. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Tommie Aaron is still available.

Amazing.

11. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    *Looks him up*

No

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is correct, but expansion teams can make trades. Just make sure that if you trade for a player, you retain enough capital (either in Intybucks or draft slots) to acquire the necessary keeper slot(s).

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    FODEUSS Winter Meetings, Final Day

[​IMG]

Previously Completed Business

Player Specific Strategies
    Designated Hitter
    Competitive Balance Initiative
    Keeper Slots
    IntyBucks

In the Parking Lot:

Structure on International Slots (Pending OOTP 23 release)
    Playoff Format (Pending expansion) - See Below

New Decisions:

Stadium Guidelines will remain as they were last season. Historical parks are fine; custom stadiums allowed as long as they meet MLB guidelines; some exceptions allowed if you're doing a simple modification on a historical stadium (e.g. - you want Fenway, but you want the Green Monster along the entire outfield)

Division structure will be decided via a live draw akin to UEFA/FIFA draws alongside the draft lottery. The two World Series teams will be guaranteed to be placed in opposite divisions, but everything else will be randomly drawn. We'll do the draft lottery and division draw once we finalize expansion, which won't be until the new thread is launched.

We will play this season in the year 2019 keeping in status quo with last season. I thought about advancing to 2020, but, like, seriously, **** 2020.

Keeper Declarations

Just a reminder, you can add/remove/change keepers up until the point where I announce that the first pick of the draft is on the clock in the new thread. That includes buying/selling keeper slots for draft capital.

As of now, I need years from @Point Given, @heels1785, and @mnjedi and keepers from @DarthTunick, @a star war, @dp4m, and @LloydChristmas

Playoff Structure

Here's my thoughts, let me know if any issues

If we end up at 14 teams, add two Wild Cards and use a "best-of-three" Wild Card format advancing to play the division winners. (6/14 teams make the playoffs)
    If we end at at 16 team, add four Wild Card teams. First round would be a "best-of-five" series, LCS a "best-of-seven", and World Series a "best-of-seven" (8/16 teams make the playoffs)

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Keepers: I may have one pending trade discussions.

Playoffs: Not a fan of best-of-three. Prefer best-of-five. Otherwise, sounds good to me.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    sorry, inty. oscar charleston 1925, mickey mantle 1957, lou gehrig 1927

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    can we get a deadline on these keeper declarations? i'd hate to lose my mind thinking about the draft before it even starts, and if dp is negotiating trades for everyone on his team who he isn't even keeping we could be here for years.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Almost everyone.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    My hopeful timeline is new thread next week, expansion deadline next Thursday, with the draft lottery happening next weekend, and the draft starting good and proper Monday, January 31st. So, Keeper moratorium would be something like 6:00 am on the 31st.

tom likes this.
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    thinking about the playoffs, i think i prefer the 6 team option whether we expand to 14 or 16 teams, but i'm fine with the wild card format being best-of-five as @jcgoble3 suggested. i just think 8 teams is a bit too many, and i don't like that in an 8 team scenario the division winners wouldn't be rewarded.

20. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    honestly I can't believe we're not gonna switch up the era for a game that takes an entire year to play.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i would love if we could do like late 80's/early 90's since that was when my baseball obsession was at its peak, but i understand that not everyone feels the same.

22. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Thinking about it more, I actually wouldn't mind getting away from three true outcome baseball as long as it's not a year that wildly favors either pitching or hitting.

tom likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we're gonna need a big time machine.

Wang Chi likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    @DarthIntegral Yeah, I'm out. You know I respect the hell out of you, and have had tremendous fun with these in the past, but it's simply too much to follow, etc, with how long this goes, how detailed it is; only so much I can "handle" around here, etc. :p Hope the next version goes well for everybody.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Wang Chi, jcgoble3 and DarthIntegral like this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tunes - understandable and much love to you, brother. Stick around the peanut gallery at least!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.