main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bashers' Sanctuary Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Binary_Sunset, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    The ships were uninspired, unoriginal, totally boring to look at--especially the queens turd that was nothing more then a chrome SR-47 Blackbird. The only one's that were the least bit intersesting were the one's like the Infiltrator which was based off of previous designs (which goes back to unoriginal)

I mean think of the original thought that went into ships like the Millinium Falcon or Slave I. They used totally unrelated things for inspiration and combined them to make them--things like hamburgers and olives. And they had people with years of PRACTICAL design sense that could still make a ships look cool. People like Nilo Rodis Jamero--need I say more? I mean Chiang is cool, but just makes a plane a space ship or sticks astromech droids into shafts that are too small for it (N1's) and says "We'll just fudge it." I say FUDGE YOU!?

And Stryphe, just as you will never get over the ATOC title, I will never get over the shamless unimaginative real-world vessels they are trying to pass off as space ships in the Prequals.

I mean what is Star Wars without the ships? And I am most sorry that in this important aspect, that creative spirit is aparently dead. :(

2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I always get that sinking feeling in the bottom of my stomache when I see the queens Chrome Blackbird. And it's not because of those Taco Bell buritos I've been eating.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

3. BlackPool

Mar 29, 2000
    And now with ATOC you have a chrome bomber and a chrome rocket to try to munch on.

4. Yada-Yada

Yada-Yada Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2001
    What was the poetic and romantic name they gave that ship again?

5. Ulaleros

Ulaleros Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    lord of the rings should have gotten at least 2 more oscars. they were robbed on on best supporting actor and costume design. but then, the oscars arent about who deserves what anyway.

6. Yada-Yada

Yada-Yada Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2001
    How many did TPM get?

What did LOTR end up with? 4 was it? That's still a more than repectable performance, whatever an Oscar's worth these days.

7. Isiah

Isiah Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2002
    Dang, its gone. And I did all those postings just to reach page 200. All gone now, but this will be a Basher Sanctuary "even more powerful than the first." Crank it up! Isiah reporting for duty!

8. Dacks

Dacks Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2001
    Qui-Gon: "Alright listen Anakin. We're all going on a very dangerous mission where we might all die. Instead of staying here on Coruscant, you could come along and risk your life! I mean, what, you're how old? And who knows, you might accidentally save the day!"

Actually TPM shows Anakin's dark side. By destroying the controller ship he allowed the gungans, including jar jar, to live. Truly evil.

9. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    The index thread is gone now, too? Will this never end? :(

10. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Blackpool wrote: "I will never get over the shamless unimaginative real-world vessels they are trying to pass off as space ships in the Prequals. I mean what is Star Wars without the ships? And I am most sorry that in this important aspect, that creative spirit is aparently dead."

Very good point. The immense Star Destroyers, the Millenium Falcon, TIE fighters, Y-wings, and (especially) X-wings are all so cool. But there aren't any memorable ships in TPM. They all seem like something out of the U.S. Air Force.

11. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I definitely agree that the ships and vehicles of TPM were totally unoriginal and boring to look at. And I don't want to start bashing AOTC before I even see it; but what the heck is with the Republic Gunship?? It resembles a Russian Mil Mi-24 helicopter more than the queen's ship resembles SR-71, for Gonk's sake!

12. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    For supposedly being a more artistic time in the GFFA, I agree that the ship designs were pretty bland. Shiny and colorful doesn't equal interesting, IMO. And yes, the queen's transport was a total ripoff of the SR-71 Blackbird, one of the fastest (if not the) fastest planes ever. This aspect of the creative design just wasn't that creative if you ask me. :)

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What the heck happened?!? Geesh.

Well, at least 60+ posts will be easier to memorize than 5500+. ;)

Binary LOL!Love your Opening Crawl. [face_laugh]

14. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    ShaneP - what's up with the icon? Did that get 'trimmed' as well?

15. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    It wasn't me it was ..... *looks around the new sanctuary** it was Stryphe....

Actually, if everyone is curious, yes. I had the old Sanctuary destroyed because the 5000th post was stolen from me. I told you there would be consiquences. [face_plain]

8-}

Seriously, this bites. So many good posts, from both sides of the fence, gone. ND is outraged by this, too, so he's taking steps to ensure Snowboard doesn't do this again. Best of luck to him.

I believe Stryphe said he had the 5500 posts memorized. So I'll let him do the honors and re-post the first 100 of our old posts.

Actually, I wasn't memorizing those post. If you'll recall, I was chasing you around the Sanctuary with a lead pipe because I was blaming you for GL's decision to not release classic DVDs until 2006.

//grabs lead pipe.

16. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Quix removed a scroll from inside his cloak, a partial list of the problems many felt in The Phantom Menace. These must never be forgotten. The molasses pacing of the Tatooine sequence. ..... Plot holes, bad plot devices, ... the creepy relationship between Anakin and Padme...

Here-here! :D

You'd think if your basher thread was deleted you'd take it as a sign that you guys should just stop and take interest in something you enjoy wouldnt you

He's right, since the B. Sanctuary was deleted, it is a sign from George that we are to be Gushers now, and since the G. Sanctuary was deleted, it is a sign that the Gushers must now be the bashers. That now means more JCC users hate TPM than like it. Yeaaa!!

it kept the nasty debates between Bashe and Gusher apart.

Not really, but it does lessen them.

Patrick Russel: "Our position's correct, except... no basher sanctuary."

Stryphe: "What happened?"

Patrick Russel: "That's what I'm trying to tell you, kid, it ain't there. It's been totally erased."

Binary Sunset: "Deleted, by Snowboard.com."

Patrick Russel: "That's impossible, not even Darthpsychotic and all his hacker associates couldn't erase the entire Sanctuary."

Hmmph. First double post of the new bashers sanctuary.

That double post should have been mine, mine I tell you! That's it, this is one elf that's getting tossed.

17. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    What is this? Blackpool was here! What a rare honor!

And Stryphe, just as you will never get over the ATOC title, I will never get over the shamless unimaginative real-world vessels they are trying to pass off as space ships in the Prequals.

Believe me, I know. ;) I was even going to PM you that this discussion had gotten underway because I knew you couldn't resist it. I agree that the Naboo ships look unoriginal, but the other ships I think look original - except, wait, the droid fighters, they remind me of something. But what?

While we've got Blackpool's attention, let's also not forget to bash the E1 Yoda. What was that about? Did he get a serious face lift between E1 and E2 or what?

18. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Isiah wrote: "Dang, its gone. And I did all those postings just to reach page 200."

Was that you? I remember those posts. I about busted a gut laughing at them. It took you about 3 or 4 of them until you finally got it to turn over to page 200. You even had to use Force lightning and yell, "If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!"

...Hey, wait a minute. You're not with Snowboards, are you? :mad:

;)

19. BlackPool

Mar 29, 2000
    Oh, man! Stryphe, you are dangerously close to unleashing a furious tyrade with that one, brother ;) Don't even get me started on that 2-bit dime store cheep latex knock-off! I mean seriously...I don't think the "artist" who scultpted it even bothered to look at a refrence of what Yoda really looks like--and Lucas didn't even seem to care, which pisses me off more. I mean say what you will about the digital Yoda of ATOC, but at least this time it looks like Yoda.

Errrrrrr!!!!!

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    SJ Icon trimming what? Suddenly, I feel newbieish. :confused:

21. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    I am letting my brethren know that I am still with them in this time of great peril. Our old Sanctuary wiped out by an unseen hand?

Phantom Menace indeed!

(thanks to Binary for PM'ing me about this. I didn't know! after this message, I will return to my posting hiatus until May 16...)

(Dark) Brotherly Love,

Malthus the (Dark)Hermit

22. stone_jedi

Jun 17, 2001
    ShaneP - must have been my computer messing up. No problems now.

Malthus - love the sig!! [face_laugh] "I do not think the OT is perfect, and I do not think George Lucas lost his marbles while making TPM.
    I just happen to be disappointed in the telling of TPM, and think that even George Lucas makes mistakes. "

This place is starting to feel like home again. :)

23. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    That's funny. I cannot see my own post! This place having issues lately? Well, deleted threads aside...

Anyway, yes, my sig. It's lifted from my pal Go-Mer-Tonic. Inspired by his sig.

24. -jawahead-

-jawahead- Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2002
    :eek: What happened???

When I didn't see the Bashers Sanctuary, I thought I was going crazy.
    And I JUST finished reading ALL 213 pages, too!
    Why o why? :_|

Well, glad it's up again. Will look forward to some more good ol TPM bashing.

What? The Gushers are back too?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

;)

P.S. 1st-time post!

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Our ranks are growing. [face_mischief]

BTW, the Gushers have proven themselves worthy adversaries. Their current, highly-enlightened topic: A lack of guard rails on Coruscant. [face_laugh]

Now we know the REAL reason for the Fall of the Republic. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.