main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    No I don't blame Ole for the uselessness that is Woodward. Thats a whole different hilarious saga.

I would however blame him for woeful mismanagement of the team and massive levels of tactical naivete.
    He's won leagues with Molde, he took them further in the Champions league than any other manager in their history. He knows the Premier league and he learned from Fergie.
    He should understand what is needed and how to set up his team. In these situations you need to set up the team to be defensively solid and then build from there, especially when you have an injury ravaged squad but he's not changing his tactics, he's not adapting to the scenario's he's seeing.

It's just garbage

It's just beyond funny now

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Considering his tactic before was 4-3-3 high press rapid attack and it's now 4-2-3-1 defensive counter-attack I'd say he has changed.

Though it's not worked well often, especially against low block teams because there aren't enough good players to create space against that kind of formation.
    He has made odd tactical choices at times, but Top 4 isn't exactly miles away. Had a couple of previous results gone our way (not missed penalties at key times for example) we'd already be there and no-one would say anything.

Consistency is key, and it's currently lacking.
    At least see how the team performs when McTominay, Pogba & Rashford are all fit (which they pretty much never have been at the same time this season) before we say Ole can't cut it. Bare in mind he was being praised for his tactical nous last season with his 4-4-2 diamond getting him results against the big sides and this season as the only manager to get points of Klopp and to make him change formation after 60 minutes because his usual plan was completely nullified.

If in the summer he can get a player like Fernandes in plus a striker, winger and at least 3 midfielders and then he still fails to get the team to perform well consistently then yes it's totally fair to say he's not up to the job.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There we go. “If a couple of results had gone our way...”

heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    liverpool win tomorrow puts them 30 pts above 4th (chelsea lol)

third week of january, that's wild.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's the City 2018 season all over again.

Apart from the top of the league this has been a fine margins season.
    Chelsea have practically tried to give 4th spot away, but none of the teams below have been able to take it since they aren't winning consistently.
    Any team even winning 2 in a row right now flies up the table.
    At least United are still in that fight, unlike Arsenal.
    Three teams with 8 losses occupying 4th, 5th & 6th place hardly makes the league look great though.

Compare that to the title race where Liverpool could lose 5 in a row and still not be unseated. And would you currently bet on City even being able to win 5 straight matches at the moment?

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The stats are bonkers. As many points as Arsenal and Manchester Untied combined. With 26 games in hand.

Bit Wolves is a stern test, in many only be as many points with 25 games in hand after tomorrow.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    If in the summer he can get a player like Fernandes in plus a striker, winger and at least 3 midfielders

So half a squad then?

Look I get it that your team is deficient. I get it that your corporate structure sucks but Allardyce would at least get this team playing and winning.

Diggy likes this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Not consistently.

Neither would Pochettino, after all he couldn't do it this season with a better Spurs side.
    Most of the players aren't good enough to get United to where they need to be.

Changing the manager won't achieve anything if the owners won't back them.
    Ole's replacement will still basically need half a new side plus back-up. Glazers won't fund that.
    The club is going nowhere until they leave, no matter who is running the team.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    No-one with half a brain is saying Man Utd have a squad good enough to compete for the league. However, they do have a squad that should be capable of beating Burnley at Old Trafford.

The terrible results and performances are the fault of the manager. Solskjaer could only motivate the squad for about as long as it took for them to give him a permanent contract and then it went to pot because he's a terrible manager. Why should they trust a manager who can't make the most of the squad he has currently to bring in new players?

Hire Pochettino and a director of football and results will improve. Persevere and the slide into mediocrity won't be an exception but the rule.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Should have a DOF already. Not sure why it's taken this long.

I can't see Ole leaving before the end of the season.
    Poch won't come unless certain conditions are met like how much he'll be backed and how much say he has (which I believe was part of his problem at Spurs that lead to his exit).
    He won't get that at United, I doubt he'd take the job just for the paycheque

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Funny, I recall scant complaints about the owners when you were winning under Slur Alex. But now you’ve returned to your historically correct place it’s all on the owners. That have spent a billion since Slur Alex left.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The owners bought the club on debt, no-one was ever happy with that.
    Dangerous thing to do.

Most fans weren't bothered when the club was winning, though still protests happened.
    And having owners who initially just let the club be run the way it had been successfully for years was a good thing Vs having somebody like Abramovich in who sacked managers all the time & seemed to decide who was signed.

But it was obvious even before Ferguson & Gill jumped ship (funny that they left at the same time, they could see the signs) that things could go wrong down the line if the Glazer's didn't start reorganizing the club for the future.
    Ferguson ran everything. Scouting, transfers, training, youth set-up was all under his watch and he had the say in how it all ran. As soon as he left there was nobody to do those things. United's system of operation was already out of date even before Ferguson left, but he'd been so good at doing it that things were just left that way.

The problem wasn't the spending initially, it was spending on the wrong type of players. Galactico type signings done to sell shirts & gain media attention instead of suit the team. Assuming players like Do Maria & Falcao would make the team successful just because if their name.
    Add to that putting Woodward in charge who had no transfer experience or connections and you get problems.
    No attempt was made to build a team, and because of the constant manager change no actual philosophy was embedded into the club and therefore no players signed specifically to continue that philosophy.

Now the problem is lack of quality & the Glazers don't want to spend because they feel like they wasted money for years. Which they did, because they don't understand football.
    They should hire someone who does and let them run things along with the manager.
    The people who are in charge of transfers right now are a joke. It shouldn't take 4 weeks to sign a player when you're pretty much the only interested club.

The only way forward is to spend. It's how Liverpool got to where they are now and what City have been doing for years to keep themselves in the silverware.
    Success means more money, so spend now and reap rewards later. Plus if you get good enough younger players you can build a team around them for the next 10 years like Ferguson did and you don't have to spend £200m every summer

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Just...#richielogic jizzed all over my screen. I can’t handle that much hindsight/bull****tery/denial in one reading.

as hilarious as it is.

but I did mention jizz, so @Darth Punk should be along soon enough, licking his lips and with a joke at hand.

FatBurt likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The problems started mainly when Woodward was put in charge.

I think Gill should have stayed for Moyes' first season to make sure he got transfer market support & that the club got reorganized correctly.
    A manager inexperienced at top club level plus an inexperienced CEO isn't a good combination.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I don’t have time to read the last few pages, so can someone point me to the post where Richie argues that losing to Burnley is a good thing?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Only if such a result shows Ed how important the need for squad improvement is and pushes him into making signings.

But it probably won't.

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Heavy rumours on the twitters that Joel Glazer has pulled the plug on the Bruno Fernandez transfer to united as it wasn't good value for money.

£60m for a proven goal scoring, assist making midfielder that united desperately need is over priced.

absolute lols if true

SithLordDarthRichie and Diggy like this.
  18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    And the lols keep coming

latest link rumours for United

Odeon Ighalo
    Islam Slimani
    A 35 year old Tevez

lol

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    tevez would be wonderful

chelsea's new shirt sponsor starting next year will be a mobile company called Three. SREE

FatBurt likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice to see Dortmund trying the radical strategy of "score first" in this game, as well as the departure of normal strategy and the enlistment of the "score goals and play defense" strategy.

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    to put it bluntly, they’re winning in spite of Favre, not because of him.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And because Haaland is scoring a goal every twelve minutes

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Confidence boosting win pending here for United against, ahem... Tranmere

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You know a team is bad when Lingard & Jones can score so easily.

This terrible pitch doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    At least Man Utd have found their level.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DarthIntegral likes this.