main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Urgh, zonal marking

2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Maradona took Argentina to the next level in '86. I remember watching that WC and acknowledging (much as it hurt to see the Hand of God goal at the time) that Maradona was absolutely unbelievable. He could single-handedly undo any other team's tactics on his day because he could skip away from challenges like they didn't exist. Only Michael Laudrup came close to that in that WC in terms of individual brilliance IMHO. But even then, a highly-fancied Denmark were quickly undone by Spain in the second round and Emilio Butragueño's snatch-and-grab performance.

In terms of individual brilliance, Maradona did it against the very best.

EHT, heels1785 and Darth Punk like this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Cavani the super-sub wins it for United.

Much better second half, I don't know what the half-time team talk was but it obviously worked.
    Players dug deep after being 2-0 down, kept pushing for the win even at 2-2.

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Cavani, the focal striker type who I said you needed because the Martial/Rashford all wide play was going to struggle against some teams and you needed someone who could enable you to do something different.

You still need to move Ole on and get Poch but at least he realised at half time that his front pair needed changing

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Stupid to give away set pieces against a team with someone like Ward-Prowse who is great at them.
    Asking for trouble, poor marking didn't help.

At least Ole has a bit more quality back-up now to turn games around, which he didn't have before.
    Got to be careful with the hectic upcoming schedule not to get player burnout

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Sell Pogba in Jan though.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't think anyone will buy him in Jan, he'll be expensive and I doubt the likes of Real Madrid or Juventus will want to spend that until they're in stronger financial positions

It'll be summer.
    And he's a useful squad player given the fixture list.
    It looks like VDB is injured so creativity in midfield will be needed

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    He said “score more goals than them, and we’ll win this”

CairnsTony and heels1785 like this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Would have done that in the first half if the finishing and decision making was better.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Cavani showing the rest of our supposed forwards how to be an actual forward. With actual proper forward movement in the box and actual proper forward runs in the box!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Aside from Cavani, you don't actually have any forwards, they're all wide attackers. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are all better coming in from the flanks, this is why you don't need Sancho, you need a younger version of Cavani

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Martial did very well as a striker last season. He needs to work on his movement more.

Greenwood is obviously a striker, made to play out wide because there aren't really any RW options.
    He's too selfish & unaware to be a winger a lot of the time, as a natural finisher he's suited to being fed the ball up front instead of having to create more for others

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    you may purposely not be counting it (as a "major" tournament), but messi does have an olympic gold medal from 2008.

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah, thats not a major tournament

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is why I don't like this line of thinking. If the Lesser Higuain brother could finish in a cup final, Messi would have at least one of either a World Cup or a Copa America in the bag already.

So, we are knocking Messi because Gonzalo Higuain can't finish, but (elsewhere in the thread, not you Rich) we're giving Ronaldo credit for his team winning a Final, when his team played all but 25 minutes without him?

[​IMG]

I'm not necessarily saying Messi > Ronaldo. I'm saying the argument "Messi hasn't won a Major International Trophy" is a terrible way to try to distinguish between them.

EHT and heels1785 like this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    perfectly stated.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's the main way people distinguish between Maradona & Messi

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Clearly directed at me which is fair [face_plain]

I also started he was part of a team that won a major tournament, not the reason that Portugal won the tournament. I am fully aware he missed most of the final.

He was however instrumental in getting them to the final and by and large doesn't go missing when playing for Portugal whereas Messi is often criticised for not performing in an Argentina shirt and the backlash from fans is the reason he frequently retires from international duty.

The international stage ins't the be all/end all which is why I stated Ronaldo's achievements in other leagues first when compared to Messi at Barca and only Barca

Messi vs Maradona? I do think Maradona would eclipse both Ronaldo and Messi if he'd been brought up in this era as he was doing the Messi stuff back in the 80's when it was too easy to scythe someone down and get away with it (England failed to do that for a couple of goals he got though :( ) whereas now he'd be lapping up this lower contact level football thats played and with modern fitness skills and less coke in his system he'd be immense

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth Punk likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    felt like we were clearly the better side today, frustrating not to get 3. lloris magnificent save against mount.

great defensive effort though, big strides over the last few months.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    raul jimenez/david luiz head-to-head collision was horrifying. jimenez off to hospital, hope he is okay. was given oxygen and looked like he was unconscious for a bit on the pitch.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    How the hell is Luis still allowed on the pitch? Never mind the fact that he's just become a father, so he needs to stay healthy for family reasons, there's all the discussion of heading and concussion, and he's freaking bleeding all over the place! I thought there was a blood rule??

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yeah. need to have some sort of temporary sub rule to discourage these clubs from rushing potential head injuries back out there, just because they're scared of using subs and/or going a man down. it's absurd - he's clearly in no shape to be playing.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I suspect it'll be a significant discussion point on MotD tonight and talksport tomorrow

Significant head injury, you take the player off and sub a player on. There should be no exceptions for this

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    2-0 fulham, wow. deserved, leicester have looked asleep.