main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If anyone can...

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    atletico is atop la liga with three matches in hand over 2nd/3rd place madrid/barcelona, and has signed moussa dembele from lyon as a loan with buy option.

suarez and felix seem to be working well together, and they've only conceded six goals all season. may have a new champion this year.

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    CAPTION COMPETITION
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    DarthIntegral likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    "Then he said my wife is a See You Next Tuesday type of girl, and I didn't think her quarantine was lasting that long"

DarthTunick and Darth Punk like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Good news on the reffing front for Liverpool vs Manchester Untied at the weekend. He's given Manchester United 5 penalties in the last ten games of theirs he has reffed. So below average :cool:

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And how many weren't deserved?

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Well the ref is screwing us royally tonight.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I used a smiley face, I fear there is no helping you at this point.

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You're making a joke implying United get penalties they shouldn't have.

Which implies you think it's true.

So....based on what?

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did you know your team is playing right now?

But okay, if we must. I don;t watch Manchester Untied much, why would I?

From what I have seen many penalties gained are soft, as if going down easy in an instruction, probably told to go down at the slightest touch. Other statistical variabilities bear this out, such as touches in the box to penalties ratio.

There is also video proof of Pogba suggesting Luke Shaw should have taken a dive:

You are so easily hepped up by the issue, it's a bit of "they lady doth protest too much". Which implies you think it's true.

There is my opener, prove that every Manchester Untied pen is properly given. So...based on what?

Edit: You should be asking me to post every time you play!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    heels1785 likes this.
  11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You hardly watch United play, yet you're sure they get penalties they shouldn't have?
    Pogba isn't the manager, just because he thinks Shaw should go down easy doesn't mean the team is being instructed to do so.
    And Shaw didn't dive, which he probably would do if he was being told to by the coaching team.

VAR being inconsistent and not giving enough correct decisions to other teams is nothing to do with United.

Leicester have had more penalties this season than United, including 3 in one game and two in another.
    Yet that's apparently fine, because they aren't United.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    epic knows how to celebrate*, rich does not.

*how long have you had that one on ice?

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It wasn't easy, but it's an important result.

Good thing this game happened now, so when Liverpool win they can't go ahead on points.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh Rich, you don't really think Liverpool will win. Manchester Untied have the best league results over the last 30 matches, and have 9W2D is the last 11. Liverpool don;t have a fit senior centreback and the front 3 are woefully out of form, and no Jota to pick up the slack and give them a rest. I actually foresee a draw.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Agreed, a draw is the most likely outcome. I would be genuinely surprise if either Liverpool or United win.

United are going to sit back and hope to hit Liverpool on the break and Liverpool will err on the side of caution because they have no defense so won't be the aggressive attacking side we love to see.

I'm expecting a bore 0-0 draw

Diggy likes this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd rather win the Cup match.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Watching MotD right now and I legitimately am struggling with the fact that United are top of the league.

I'm a Barrow fan but United are the premier league club that I follow closest as a result of friends and living vicinity to Old Trafford etc... (need to be able to talk the talk and all that) and I'm just stunned that they are top.

Can anyone explain how nthis has happened? I like Ole from his time back as a player but he's too "nice" for this to be happening, there are gaping flaws in the squad that desperately need addressing (Sancho is not a gaping flaw) and yet they are top.

How? I currently can't effectively mock my United mates and to top it all off they are top playing average to decent football. I wouldn't mind (as much) if I had to watch good football to then either congratulate mates or laugh at them but the football is poor and yet they are top.

2021 is already disappointing.

Darth Punk , EHT and heels1785 like this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    united is the lesser manchester evil, and city's about to go on a tear with a ridiculously easy month and a half of fixtures. rich, loathsome epic, and the elusive @El Jedi Colombiano have suffered enough recently, happy to see them get their day.

it also means we're not talking about chelsea.

halibut likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    United are top just like Everton & Spurs were, because of other teams playing worse than them.

They won't stay on top, they'll fall away eventually just like other teams.
    Mainly because the club will waste the January window not doing anything instead of realizing what an opportunity this might be & investing now to address issues in the team.

Quality of football means nothing.
    Mourinho won the PL playing defensive counter-attacking style, you do what works to ensure you win.
    Arsenal played nice football for years and won nothing after their last PL title win

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think due to COVID and no fans, it's just an odd season. I posted a few weeks ago any of the top ten could get into the top four. Well, a lot of them could win it, it's too weird right now to predict (but if I was, I'd say Manchester City are favourites.)

I did see a points spread and compared to average, the top and bottom few teams are getting less points, while the middle teams are getting more. After such high winning points totals for the last few seasons, I can see a really low total for winning it this year.

Also COVID related, but I find it really stupid when I see headlines about the team top at Christmas/ Manchester Untied are top at this time in January for the first time in however long. In a normal season, we'd be about mid December at the moment. They're silly headlines for the brain dead.

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree with dig

I can genuinely see at least one of Leicester, or Villa getting a top 4 position this year.

Leicester winning a few years back was brilliant for the shake up. This should be similar (but hopefully with less death)

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I saw something saying if United were to win the PL, it would be with around 80 points. That would the lowest winning total since 2010/11, I'd expect it wouldn't be too different if Liverpool or City won.
    No 100 point champion this time around, which does make it more interesting at least.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000