main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Torres is too much like Maguire, which is why I don't think he'd work as his CB partner.
    Plus he's left-footed, which means Maguire would become the right CB and that's not his preferred position.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    You wouldn't go far wrong in pipping arsenal and going for Ben White

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He's not the level to be aiming for though, Varane & Kounde are.

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    He's a hair behind but is an upgrade on Lindelof

Plus he's young and will get better.

Varane is better but £50m on a player for 4-5 years or £50m on a player for 10 years?

Kounade is probably on a par with White (again maybe a hair better) but we've seen these players play in the champions league and internationally. White plays for Brighton and is clearly a top 6 player and he bossed it in the couple of England caps he's got.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The level United should be aiming for requires elite talent proven at the highest level.

Varane is that, White is not.
    He could become that, but how long would it take?

€50m for someone with one year left on his contract isn't bad, that's around £42m which is good value for the calibre of player Varane is

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't disagree that Varane is a massive upgrade on now

Value for Money I think White is a better deal

United also build and develop talent whilst adding key proven players. White is a hair off and can be developed, him playing alongside Maguire, Shaw and AWB is an England back 4. The gap between White and Varane isn't the gulf you think it is either. Both are composed on the ball, strong in the tackle, pacy and read the game well. White is Varane of 5/6 years ago.

Varane is the better player now and I see why the club would go for him now as he is a big upgrade on Lindelof. White is a moderate upgrade on Lindelof but is better for the long term.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    United won't even give enough game time to a talent like Tuanzebe, who is better than Bailly & Lindelof.

Given the young talent available for free at the club already, they shouldn't really have to buy anyone.

But Ole doesn't seem particularly keen to give most of them a lot of opportunity

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Totally agree on Tuanzebe, he's always looked good when I've seen him play. He appears a bit injury prone though .

Can't comment on the rest of the youth though as Ole isn't playing them but I don't think he has the credit in the bank to do a Fergie and bring in his version of Beckham, Neville and Butt though

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd rather see a proper CDM like James Garner play than put up with McFred in midfield anymore, even if he isn't very experienced.

Amad has a lot of potential, he'll probably go on loan if Sancho comes in.

United are also linked to Camavinga. God only knows what that means for van de Beek if he comes in plus Lingard & Pogba stay another season.

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Pogba should be sold this window unless you 100% guarantee he's signing a new contract now. With the salary he'll want and his indifferent performances I'd move him on.
    De Beek and Lingard are just about adequate replacements and De Beek could come good now he's had a season bedding in.

No idea on Garner, he was at Forrest last season apparently but ability wise, not a clue. You need an upgrade on Fred though as McTominey is an excellent box to box player. Fred is meant to be your defensive shield and he's just not it, another player I'd sell if you could get reasonable money for him.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Fred isn't a CDM, never was.

I expect Pogba will run his contract down and leave for free next season, if only because who is going to pay for him right now?
    United would want most of the 90m they paid for him, few clubs have that kind of money right now unless other players are involved in the deal.

Lingard should move on for the good of his own career. He's hardly going to get game time at United, why sit around to be used as a Cup squad player when you could get regular starts at a team like West Ham?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    at last, richie can celebrate

epic likes this.
  14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    he'll still find a reason to be disappointed

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    signing for the europa league runners-up, i doubt it. not the highest standards, this guy.

edit oh you meant rich

i thought you meant sancho. who very well could be disappointed too, with ole at the wheeeeeeel

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    EHT, DarthIntegral and FatBurt like this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Glad the deal got done early, so BVB can have basically the full summer to plan, buy, and otherwise be prepared for the upcoming season. Was a little afraid it might drag on to a point where a sale happened so late, Dortmund wouldn't have the chance to utilize funds or create a plan for the roster post-Sancho. Good price on him for the sale, especially in this economy (and considering United likely was the only serious bidder)

Don't see a Haaland deal happening, so this should be the only major selling. Interesting to see what they do to replace Sancho - either through more utilization of talent already on the roster (formation shifts to open up time for Hazard, Brandt, Reyna, etc.) or possibly a purchase (Malen, possibly?)

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

hello darkness, my old friend

FatBurt likes this.
  18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Nuno apparently about to be confirmed for Spurs

Did a decent job with Wolves, can't see him doing it with Spurs while Levy's in charge though

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    no better way to appeal to kane/convey a sense of the club's stability than by spending a month and a half haggling with the unemployed former wolves manager

EHT and DarthTunick like this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Sancho finally done, great.
    I was starting to think it would go on all summer again

Not sure what number he'll get, maybe 20 since Cavani already has 7

Now to sort out a CB & sell some players to fund a CDM

Benitez is a very good appointment by Everton.
    Nuno is a decent manager for Spurs, though it seems like they only went for him after everyone else said no.
    Spurs are meant to be a club with more ambition than Wolves, can he take them to that level?

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Rumours on Twitter is he'll get 7 as he's long term and Cavani is OK to pass it on.

It was always going to happen with reasonable speed this time. United and Dortmund have a better understanding now. Plus selling Sancho means they don't need to sell Haaland now.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    United obviously were smart to wait.
    It's a decent price for a young player of his ability, significant reduction from last summer

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Last year (I think) of his contract and Dortmund need to sell a player a season (covid just heightened the requirement). The waiting wasn't a conscious decision by United, you wanted him last season and bought 2 other right wingers at the same time.

the reduction is due to need to sell and contract.

Still a good deal for United and if Dortmund hold onto Haaland this season then it's actually a great deal as it prevent City, Real, Chelsea from getting him for one more year

24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    the waiting was a conscious decision in that we didn’t cave to Dortmund’s excessive demands last year. It’s certainly a much better price this year - granted the contract has been run down a bit more (although Dortmund knew that would be the case last year).

Love the signing though! Gives us more options too, he can start on the right with greeny up top, or on the left with greeny on the right and cavani up top. Means we can also actually drop rashford when he’s in one of his horrific form spells. Happy days

25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    so, Messi is a free agent.