main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    yes indeed- I'm with you, pulling for messi to get his trophy.

argentina would have a better chance with dybala in the lineup, but I still think they can win. brazil looked unbeatable at the start of the tournament, but a bit shakier at times more recently.

EHT likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I hope Argentina win it, mainly so people stop acting like CR7 winning a Euro, despite not being on the pitch for most of the final, is a trump card in the Messi-Ronaldo debate.

Possibly my least favorite argument in sports today.

EHT and heels1785 like this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's also used as an argument that Maradona is greater than Messi, because he won with both club & country.

As has Ronaldo, though a regional tournament trophy obviously isn't as prestigious as the World Cup.
    I doubt either CR7 or Messi will win one now though, being near the end of their careers.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    EHT likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    di maria, go on. what a finish!

3sm1r likes this.
  5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    argentina wins the copa in the ****ing maracanã. beautiful.

emiliano martinez was immense in net. way to go, messi.

6. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I think Ronaldo has a chance of lifting the World Cup this year, if Portugal can get its act sorted out. They have the players to do it.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    they do have the talent. but let's hope they don't win. :p

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm glad Argentina won.
    Not a very exciting match overall though.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    sancho got off the bench for about 90 minutes all tournament, scored no goals, and choked terribly on his penalty.

all yours, united!

10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    So it turns out the badass scene of Donnarumma casually walking away was actually a mistake. He later explained in an interview that he had just miscalculated the number of penalties already done, so he hadn't realized it was over [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

@SuperWatto

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    CairnsTony, Ramza, EHT and 3 others like this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    But that only makes it cooler.
    He didn't even care enough to calculate properly.

EHT, DarthIntegral and 3sm1r like this.
  12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Jonathon Pie and his take on England "fans"

Bit of Language

Darth_Diealot and Darth Punk like this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    150 mil is the number for haaland floating around the rags that roman has "freed up."

likeliest outcome (actually, a distant second to nothing at all) is that we give dortmund something well above the release clause figure to lock him in and then loan him back to bvb for the 21-22 season. tuchel may sign danny ings from southampton to fill the spot being vacated by giroud, who deserves more minutes and can get them at ac milan.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    There would be no better outcome than getting double the release clause that Dortmund would get next summer, only to have him loaned back for the season, so he doesn't leave until the release clause would have kicked in anyways.

Get it done! Make it happen!

heels1785 likes this.
  15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Its the ridiculous kind of thing I would expect Chelsea to do

heels1785 likes this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i think we did it for pulisic? half the price, but still.

i think we'd do this to ensure that we cut the spanish clubs out of the equation. if nothing happens this year, i'd bank on him going to real madrid to replace benzema.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    If i remember correctly, Dortmund sold Pulisic during the January transfer window, and he was loaned back for remainder of season.

And I get the rationale behind doing it that way, to avoid the bidding war next summer. Not knocking it as a strategy, just calling it out as best possible scenario for Dortmund.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Whether they'll go for it is another matter, assuming that money is actually available.

Rashford set to have shoulder surgery, could miss the first two months of the season.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Losing Rashford for the first couple of months is a benefit to you.

He needs the rest, he's got a back problem that the surgery should help resolve and you'll have Sancho in to cover.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Might benefit Martial playing on the left instead of up front.
    If not, James gets more game time.

Rumours going around United will offer £420k a week for Pogba to stay.
    That seems foolish if it's true, he doesn't perform consistently enough to deserve that & will create dressing room issues like Sanchez did.

Hard enough already to move on Henderson or De Gea because of their huge wages

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Sell Martial he doesn't want to be there

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    No-one will buy him on the form he's been on, or pay the wages he has.

Ideally I'd sell both Martial & Pogba and then buy a CDM + Camavinga.
    Amad can be wing cover to replace Martial, Greenwood stays as back-up forward for Cavani.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    messi staying with barcelona, contract will run through 2026. 600m release clause, lol.

good for him - would have been weird to see him elsewhere.

EHT and DarthIntegral like this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He's had to take a significant pay cut, respect for that.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Barca will probably be looking to sell Griezmann, then... rumor was that they'd be doing that if they could get Messi to stay, in order to cut costs. Apparently they offered an even trade of Griezmann for Joao Felix to Atletico Madrid, but Atletico wasn't interested (they would welcome Griezmann back, but not for Felix).