main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Players know they can't touch the referee, poor judgement by Mitrovic that cost Fulham the game.
    Unfortunate since they played well.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    To be fair, as somebody else on the pitch today who shall remain nameless but may be from Portugal knows from experience, they don't enforce that rule consistently. No excuse for Mitrovic losing his cool like that, though.

Edit: Just to clarify my position here before I inevitably get too wrapped up in El Clásico - I'm fine with deliberate contact with an official being grounds for automatic expulsion in sports (something something Odo scene from DS9 something something), but if that's the case, you have to do it every time.

FatBurt, halibut and heels1785 like this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    You had me at Odo

Youuuuuu're outta here!

Ramza likes this.
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's a hell of a first La Liga goal for Kessie, ****.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That’s Palace down, and Everton safe.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

i obv rate tuchel very highly, but this seems premature. one point from the top, last eight in the champions league. still a very good chance of winning both, i wouldn't shake things up.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nagelsmann has been controversial appointment for a long time now; I am not surprised that getting this deep into the season with the title still under serious five way contention(!) might get him the sack. That is totally unacceptable from FCB’s perspective, even if it makes for an exciting year for the rest of us.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Italy lose a long-standing record in Euro qualifiers at home by losing their opener to 10 man England.

Italy threw the kitchen sink at England in the second half but it wasn't enough.

10. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    The constant sacking of managers is probably one of the worst things about modern football

heels1785 and FatBurt like this.
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

And yet, the "Southgate Out" morons on twitter are out in force

CairnsTony likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    lol@Italy.

Bild is claiming Nagelsmann got axed so abruptly because they knew they wanted Tuchel to replace him and were worried Spurs might **** that plan up. I can believe it, that’s the kind of merciless move they pull.

Ironically Nagelsmann might actually be a better fit for Spurs than Tuchel, and you know, wouldn’t be yet another former Chelsea manager.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The lesson as always is **** Bayern

Ramza likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Italy despite being European Champions couldn't even qualify for the World Cup, this result isn't particularly surprising.

Congrats to Harry Kane for becoming England's Top Scorer

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    think with la liga essentially decided, there's a good chance carlo decides to go a year earlier than expected. bayern could potentially have gotten stuck in a bidding war with real madrid for a manager this summer, doubt they wanted that.

tuchel should do very well there.

16. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    So I guess Pochettino will be the Real manager? I doubt they give it to Raul

heels1785 likes this.
  17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Give over

Italy haven't lost at home for years until today. They're European champions and just missed out on the World Cup. I was not expecting England to win today, I was hoping for a draw but was expecting a loss. At home in Napoli with the "Ultras" in place, Italy was far and away the hardest team England will face in this qualifying group.

We were capable of beating them so the win wasn't a shock but on their day, England can beat anyone. On balance though, the win was not what I would consider the expected result and they had us under the cosh in the second half.

You underestimate the Azzuri at your peril

CairnsTony likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    if they want to go safe (not give it to raul or xabi alonso), unai emery would be my pick. he's in a pretty **** job atm. there was a report a few weeks back that villa are in financial hell after overspending for multiple windows, and won't be able to back him much. he's well-established in la liga, and very good in european competition. lopetegui is also a good manager in a job that is beneath him, but he's already been at madrid and it was a short stop.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As long as that day isn’t a final in the last 65 years. Semi days aren’t great either.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think Poch’s PSG tenure showed he’d be a pretty bad fit for Real, he can make good tactical calls but he can’t get expensive old players and Kylian Mbappé to do them.

So they should absolutely go for him. Just all the **** in. Hala Pochdrid.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Since when has Real been shy about a bad appointment?

FatBurt and Ramza like this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Conte is very clearly trying to get himself sacked by Spurs, is Pochettino not more likely to return there?

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Maybe not, Spurs seem to be seriously considering a move for Nagelsmann per The Guardian. He’d be a brilliant fit for what they and their fans want and will inevitably fail when he can’t actually get the backing he needs, but what a failure it will be!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You’d think he’d avoid statements that could be summarized as “do you know who I am?”

Feeling pretty good about the Czech national team’s qualification chances after that win over Poland yesterday, they’re by far the most dangerous other country in the group. If everybody can stay healthy this should all, on paper at least, be a formality.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023