main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Bespin Cafe - The Han/Leia Fanfic Index v.2.1 - Mini-Challenge & October'08 Update

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008

I'm with Jade_Max on this one. I find Han and Leia a lot easier to write when their kids are around, maybe because I like writing them as a longtime married couple more than I do as newlyweds or two people fighting their feelings for each other. I like the idea of them no longer having to deal with their baggage with class differences and duty and allegiance, and able to just be who they are. It sounds nice.

2. LASOS

LASOS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2008
    That's not stupid at all! A lot of my writing is done as a way to deal with DRL or inspired by real life events. And I understand plot bunnies not biting. Hopefully they will soon. Maybe when we get a challenge up, that will get Muse's juices flowing.

I can definitely see how that can be challenging with English not being your first language. And I wonder exactly how much being in tune to the EU affects writing Han and Leia with kids. I mean, my big problem, like I said earlier, is that I haven't read the EU, so there's very little chance of me writing Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin in character past, say, age ten. I really think I might be in the minority here, because I feel like most folks on the boards pay more attention to EU than I. Thoughts, anyone?

The H/L movie banter (well, in ANH and ESB anyway, there wasn't much banter in ROTJ) was a little bit childish, because neither of them were owning up to their feelings and that was an immature way to act. However, I don't think that their banter stopped once they grew up a little/became parents. It probably just wasn't a bunch of yourworshipnerfherderscruffyscoundrelyourhighnessness name calling, though I really think those nicknames probably stuck around, just became affectionate. Does that make any sense at all?

3. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm sort of similar in that I'm far more interested in the characters of the EU than the events themselves. Maybe I just got bored with all the superweapons.

I totally agree. And I can definitely see them as a couple of senior citizens sitting on their porch and insulting each other out of nostalgia.

4. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    [face_laugh] I love that idea, I hope someone tries that out in a fic, I'm swamped with stories at the moment or I'd go for it right away. (Fingers crossed it makes it into canon one day too. ;)) I smell a challenge though. o_O

5. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    That would be a fantastic idea - I can so see them talking like that to each other. That would be a great challenge, too.

As for the writing kids with H/L, if I'm going to write an H/L fic, then I prefer to just focus on them, not the kids. Dunno why. And if I'm going canon, I haven't read enough early EU books to know how to characterize the kids just right, so I'd probably just stick with H/L only.

- Serena

6. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I can't imagine Han and Leia having kids at all, so writing about them with kids seems rather too out in the left universe for me.

Honestly, I've never thought of them with sproglets. Maybe that ties into my own lack of reproduction instincts, and the fact that I would like to see that reflected more in fiction *somewhere*. I've always viewed them as that really cool couple who are intelligent, educated, and get to do the cool stuff that isn't always possible when there are children added to the relationship. Yeah, DINKS in space. :p (DINKS is an acronym which means "Double Income, No Kids").

Some would say the Skywalker bloodline needs to be continued. Couldn't Luke have fulfilled that role, if continuing the bloodline was that necessary in the first place? Somehow, I wonder if the EU writers didn't subconsciously envision Han and Leia not having children as well. Witness the convenient plot of shoving them off-stage to some remote planet with Winter the Helpful Secretary/Nanny/Surrogate Authority Figure. Very aristocratic solution, huh? Children not seen or heard except when it was deemed dramatically necessary.

7. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Yeah, I can't really see Han putting up with that. Leia maybe because of her background and her relationship with Winter, but not Han. I can only see him not having kids at all or committing himself fully into it and becoming a full-blown soccer Dad.

Gah! Plot bunny.

8. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Actually you know I always saw Leia as the one not willing to have children, especially after finding out about her real lineage. Han I really did always see him as wanting to have a family, he never had one growing up and there were always indicators in the HST that he wanted a wife and kids one day.

He has such a good relationship with Luke as a little brother I could always see he and Leia having a couple of kids, I don't think a lot of people thought this way in EU however.

Appart from the horrible Crystal Star and less then impressive Corellian Trilogy, you don't see much of the Solo children interaction with their parents (you don't really get to know them untill the Junior and Young Jedi Knights,) and then later in the NJO you only see a little because they're almost adults.

9. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I totally agree. He'll probably be in denial until the last second (Leia is the rational one in this couple) but after all he is the protector type. I CAN even see him adopting kids if Leia wouldn't or couldn't have babies of their own.

Edit: terrible typo :_|

Note to self: don't try to post (much less in English) before second cup of coffee

10. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Phew you killed a plot bunny and I think saved me from breaking H/L. Thanks I don't have worry about writing now thanks.:)[:D]

11. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    :eek: :_|

[Han's voice]I feel terrible...[/Han's voice]

*Tries CPR on bunny*

12. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

I've never read Crystal Star, or the Corellian Trilogy - and to quote Han: "That bad, huh?" I wasn't sure about reading them before, but I won't bother now.

I think that Han and Leia would have kids, but I agree, Leia would be more cautious, seeing as how her father was DV. I also agree with the whole "soccer dad" thing, haha. I could so see Han like that.

- Serena

13. LASOS

LASOS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2008
    So throwing my two cents in here, I also think that Han and Leia would have had children, though y'all are right, Leia was probably very cautious about it considering her lineage. But I also think, going along with the SoccerDad!Han idea, that they would be wonderful parents. I really don't think that they would have let Luke cart the kids off to some planet with Winter, but then we get into problems with the EU and I don't think that's what this thread is for. Adopting makes a ton of sense, considering what we know of Han's background and the fact that Leia was also adopted. Wouldn't it stand to reason that they would both really want to provide a child with a life that it might not otherwise have? They could be like Brangelina in space-like ten adopted kids and then beautiful children of their own. :)

As for the Skywalker bloodline and Luke carrying it on-I know this is just me (PLEASE don't hate me!), but I have a hard time seeing Luke with ANYONE, and an even harder time seeing him with kids, though I do think he would make a great uncle.

One thing I do have trouble with in just plot bunnies, not even stories that I've really written out, is writing Han and Leia with kids older than, say, five, particularly if they are canon kids because then it becomes hard for me to characterize JacenJainaAnakin without knowing enough of the EU.

Goldie, you crack me up! :)

14. Anime_Jedi

Jul 12, 2007
    Well Goldie the bunny is still alive thanks to LASOS.

So if no one mines I tell you all what the plot bunny is, and why I come up with it all that stuff.

15. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    Yes, please! :)

16. Anime_Jedi

Jul 12, 2007

Well the idea come to me like this.

How the heck would Han tell the kids what do.

Example kids are in their bad teens years.

Han tells them no more parties or tells one of them to go there room.

Well they just throw him into a wall.

I also felt that H/L had taken a big back set to the kids and Luke, after the movies.

Anyway the bunny was for H/L to have anther kid without force powers.

But Commander-DWH suggested I rework the plot and I came with.

Han Leia find street rat on Han's home plant.

Han would at least help this boy out due this kid reminding him of his childhood life. Which I know very little about.

I have the details done.

Oh yeah this will mostly bean AU.

So what do ya think, bad, god, BS, or WTF?

17. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    Don't worry, nobody knows much about Han's childhood years... Which is wonderful, because we can all let our wild imaginations run at will after the bunnies!

I'm so glad the bunny survived! :D Don't forget to put a link here when you start posting...

18. Anime_Jedi

Jul 12, 2007
    You know I think I'll just wing it just write it.

I'm only short a beta but I'll fix that after its started/done.

Thanks Goldie.:)

19. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    No hate from this quarter...Lucas himself has said that in his version of all things post-ROTJ, Luke never would have been married. It's a perfectly valid option. I'm not writing that particular angle, but I'm not against it at all.

I like the idea of Han and Leia adopting some kid off the street. I've never seen it done before. :D

20. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007

That is a fantastic idea. I'd love to see someone write that.

But as for the Luke not being married thing, I'm the kind of person who likes to see everyone end up happily - preferably married. But I can kinda see where he wouldn't be married. Still, I love L/M. I think they're a great couple.

But what kind of kid would Han and Leia adopt, if off the street? Someone like Zekk, maybe?

21. Anime_Jedi

Jul 12, 2007
    Well I know nothing about Zekk, but I want this guy to has one of kinda as possible.

If he's going to be like anyone even a little it'll be Han.

*Calls the bunny*

Sorry I tried to kill ya little guy, now if only my muse would show up.

She's been gone for 5 months, so I think its time she come home. lol

I want to write this like crazy now, I really like the idea.:)

22. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    :D I agree - you should definitely write it. And I also think a fresh start would be nice, maybe a more light-hearted story than what the profic writers have given us. I think a definite rewrite of the entire post ROTJ era is in order.

That would actually be a good challenge - I'd love to see what would happen if different people wrote different characters, using your idea. It'd be neat to see different kids of Han and Leia and how they turned out.

Of course, it's your idea. Have fun with it! Let me know if (or when) you write it.

- Serena

23. Anime_Jedi

Jul 12, 2007

Thanks I'm good at light hearted stuff heres a good example of my work.

A father and daughter

I don't think it'll be that light hearted, it well have more depth to it for sure.

24. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Read the story, loved it!! Some great moments. I love seeing Han as a dad - it just suits him.

Well, if it's light-hearted or more in-depth, I'd love to read it either way. So many possibilities! I just got so frustrated with the way the kids turned out in EU. All of the books post OT are SO depressing!!!

- Serena

25. HanLeiaFanficGuru

HanLeiaFanficGuru Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    OCTOBER UPDATE

- 32 new stories!

- New mini-challenge for October

- A major revision/reformatting of the index and a new challenge is due for November, so stay tuned!

October 2008 - Han/Leia Fanfic Mini-Challenge

Old Han/Leia Banter

Yes, they may be old, they may be creaky, they may be crinkled... But they?re still bantering!

Write some old Han and Leia banter and let us know about it!

- This challenge is on the Beyond_The_Saga Board

- This challenge will run until November 2008 or when the next challenge comes online.

Please post your challenge answer vignette or short story in this October Mini-Challenge thread OR post a link to your story there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.