main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bespin Cafe - The Han/Leia Fanfic Index - We've Moved to Version 2.0!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorelei33

lorelei33 Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    Query: Does anyone actually use this index? I feel like it just sort of goes up into empty cyber space... :_|

I've just recently been introduced to Han/Leia fanfiction and it's wonderful to see that there are still people out there writing new stories - it looks like most of the older archives lie dormant :( So thx thx thx for the continued hard work and keep it up! Your efforts are very much appreciated indeed. [face_batting]

Off to check out the H/L forum now ...

2. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I'm using it to look for new stuff to read, so please, keep this going. It's really much easier than culling through everything just to get Han/Leia fics. Thank you, thank you to those who set this up!!!

3. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I use this thread to look up old or new Han/Leia stories! :D :D

Is there going to be a May H/L fanfic challenge? I didn't get a chance to type a story for April. :(

4. HanLeiaFanficGuru

HanLeiaFanficGuru Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003

Okay, guys the May update and challenge are up!

Enjoy, and happy ROTS! :)

5. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    *pokes around for June's update* :p

Just checkin :)

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Next update won't be until July, Bri :)

7. SomeoneWhoLovesYou

SomeoneWhoLovesYou Jedi Master star 1

May 22, 2005
    I love this thread. Can't wait for the update!

8. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I love [face_love] this index and have always found it useful. I use it to find threads that I been reading and somehow lost :rolleyes: Plus, I rarely miss a H/L fic this way. :D

Please keep it going. Please?[face_worried]

J_Girl

9. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

*Walks along the desolate town known as the Bespin Cafe watching as the tumbleweeds roll by. Looks over at Queen Of Aces delicatessen. Sign reads "No longer serving Undercover Operation." Decides to visit LadyPadme's Salon. Notices the usual crowd hanging around for the next shipment of "In Name Only". Looks out side and sees a new shop with a banner asking the question "What if Alderaan wasn't destroyed?" Leaves Salon and gets knocked over by "Corellia's Child", almost reaches a "Point Of No Return" but decides to let it go. Stands in the street and thinks about "A Reason to Stay and Reason to Leave." Heads for GreatOnes Hotel "Birthright" to catch some rest before the July Challenge*

[face_good_luck]

10. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

You know, even though the primary reason for creating this thread was to index H/L fics, there's no reason why there can't be discussion here. Unfortunately, the next update will not be until after the weekend. I'm trying to wrap up things on FG2 and I'd also like to have five minutes of real life this weekend.

In the meantime, how about this:

Name three fave H/L fics and WHY you like them?

11. KnightedRogue

KnightedRogue Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Aww, only three?

1)"Oblivion" by Dant Solo (you can find it on TATS). You know, most authors at one time or another attempt angst and deep character studies and very few actually achieve the quality that the author does here. I love the dual-perspective and the incorporation of canon events into a series of events and thoughts that the author created. And Han's thoughts at Leia's side after Balance Point are sweet. Perhaps a bit over-the-top, but written very well. :D

2)"The Wager" by Cindy Olsen (try The Corellian Embassey). Again, angst. So, so depressing and sad and well-written. The only fic I can honestly say made me cry repeatedly (and still does after numerous reads). The author finds a nice balance between the lovey-dovey H/L couple that so many people love to write, and the more realistic vibrant couple that jumps out from the screen. Excellent deterioration of a relationship, complete with psuedo-affairs and the commitment question. Ah, my. This is one of the first fics I read and . . . *sigh*. Someday I, too, will be that talented. [face_laugh] Oh, and there's a happy epilogue in case you are seriously doubting the necessity of living after reading "The Wager" - it's called "One Day at a Time".

3)To continue my angst favs list: "Diving" by Chanel19 or Marie (check out ffn for this one). I know this particular author has been criticized for her slightly unrealistic psychological symptoms, but it's so much fun to see Leia this messed up. I love the series, all of it, but I chose this one because one of my favorite fanfic moments of all time is on here: Leia tells Jan Dodonna that she's more scarred than she lets on. Priceless. The author reminds me of Hemingway - definitely a sparse effect, little modifying and a bluntness that charms me, at least. So fun. So fun. And a relatively happy ending, too!

So, I've officially declared myself the queen of H/L angst, methinks. Keep in mind that I know someone else will say "40 Days to Bespin" or "Renewal" and these are my favs, too. These three are just ones that I don't see many people commenting on and are super-quality. [face_laugh]

Uh, yeah. Go Han and Leia!

*KR*

12. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    *hugs LP muchly* [:D]

LP, if you ever want or need any help, I'd be more than happy to. I can't do much since I'm not on much, but any little bit I can do, I'm more than willing. :)

13. HanLeiaFanficGuru

HanLeiaFanficGuru Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003

Announcement: This Index was also designed as a place for Han/Leia fans to meet and to chat. However, chatter has been somewhat scarce. To sort of shake things up, I'm going to try to introduce topics for discussion on a periodic basis. Please join in! The topics for discussion can be related to just Han, just Leia or their relationship together. I'll try to rotate the topics around, but if you have any suggestions for discussion topics, please post them in this thread.

So, for the
    first topic of discussion: Han's past: What elements of Han's past do you think were most important in shaping the man he was in the OT?

- Come on, why should our index always be buried somewhere on page ten? Let's use this resource and get the conversation rolling! :D

- As a secondary announcement, I received a request to do a 'write-up' advertising this site. The write up should be about why others should visit this thread? So, what do you like about this thread, and why should others come in? Any suggestions?

- Lastly, the July challenge is up. Check the first post of this thread. And, sorry but the July update will be delayed. As soon as I can, I'll put something up. :)

14. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Oooh I get to be the first person to reply to the discussion topic! [face_thinking]

Well I don't know too much about Han's past (I never read the Corellian Trilogy) but I think a big part of his character comes from the fact that he's lost so many people that he was close to: his parents, Dewlanna, etc- he's afraid to become emotionally invested in anything and I think that fear drives his refusal to commit to the Rebellion, his apparent fixation on money, and his whole 'mercenary' persona- if people think he's only interested in himself, they won't expect him to care about them or anything else. Of course a part of that is simple self-preservation that he's learned from so many years of being on his own...but I think that deep down inside, he's scared.

LOL I will be surprised if all this makes sense and it's probably pretty basic/obvious stuff but there's my two cents :)

15. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    i agree about him loosing people he is close to.

i also think the lack of family growing up made him want one of his own. in tatooine ghost, han was sad because leia didnt want any children until the end...

16. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    As far as what I like about this thread, look at last post about 5 posts above HanLeiaFanficGuru's post. Why should people come in here? Well, if they like H/L this is the place to be. It's the major resource for finding H/L fic. I would venture a guess that most everyone posting here loves to chat about H/L topics. And, IMO, we're a friendly bunch and where H/L is concerned, the more the merrier. :D

What makes Han the man he is in the OT?

A life full of hard knocks. He obviously has a moral compass from something early on. He probably saw things that sickened him while he was younger and that was the impetus for his own set of morals. However, those same nasty things taught him to, at least, show a hard face to the galaxy for the sake of self-preservation.

His original mercenary stance in ANH shows us quite well his understanding of how the galaxy truly works and it isn't pretty. His background with 'earning' a life debt from Chewie says his true moral compass is firmly in place. I do think Chewie helps to preserve the 'good' in Han by re-enforcing the fact that their relationship is not just about a life debt, but also a reliable friendship.

J_Girl

17. LadyEcho

LadyEcho Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2005
    Why should people come here??
    ...besides the fact that everyone is so nice???? hmmm, because in addition
    to good stories, everyone is always recommending fics you can read and
    someone always has an answer to your questions.

As for Han's past, I agree with J_Girl about his moral compass being set
    right. but i also thinks that the sense of compassion he learned from dewlanna
    also is what makes him so endearing. that and his sense of loyalty to the few
    friends he has.

18. argentlife

argentlife Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    Yub the lojalty is the thing that actually, to me, makes Han stand out as an excellent character.

Another is the poker face. You never, at least not me, in the movies really know where you have him from one minute to the other. His ability to suprise is endearing and just shows how deep Han really seems to be.

Well my two cents really wasn't on topic now were they? Well will hope that you will forgive me anyhow, prettty please :D

19. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

I think we should also look at how Han is a product of the Empire. He's at an impressionable age when they take over (I've been told 10, 13 and 15 so some where in there). He sees what hate, anger and fear do to a society but he also learns what happens when people try and confront the Empire about these things. So as the Empire grows so does Han and his understand of how things work, money makes the galaxy go round but if you don't at least have some morals you'll become and Imperial drone.

Out of the three characters he's the one who could remember what life was life before the Empire, which might make him a little more jaded, then the other two.

[face_good_luck]

20. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Wow I definitely never thought of that-- Han's jaded attitude as a product of the Empire... ::ponders possible plot bunny:: But I do think it's interesting that Han and Leia were, at one point, on different 'sides' of the war-- he as an imperial pilot and she as a leader of the rebellion (although she probably was too young to be an effective political force at the time, I'm sure Bail Organa's ideals influenced her from a very young age). Come to think of it, is there any canon evidence for the age difference between Han and Leia? I've heard everything from five to twelve years.

21. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

I think it's at least a ten-year difference between them, which I think makes sense. Only an older guy who was completely confident in him self could tame Leia. ;)

[face_good_luck]

22. Sea_of_Jade

Sea_of_Jade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    I thought he was only 5 years older than her...

Oh yeah, I'm new around the boards, and I just thought I'd check ths out. Some of the best fanfics I've read are HL, and I'm actually almost finished with a fic about their wedding...

Sadly, I'm leaving for band camp today, so all I can do right now is say "hey guys!" and then keep packing... :(

23. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    Hans past was perhaps a result of several hard knocks as people has said but perhaps, I THINK that one main hard know was that he felt betrayed. Han was very young in the early days of the Empire and thinking as so, he was probably brainwashed to follow the empire, to the extent that he enlisted... once he starts growing up and realizing what the Empire does he feels betrayed by the Empire and what he follows... that betrayal perhaps builds his character up to what he is in the OT. He has a sort of dissafection for any sort of orgarnization.
    I dont know if the idea is clear or not but.. thats what I think... I am assuming many things in my argument but its my ten cents....

Oh and reffering to the write up on why to visit here:
    I suppose I enjoy this forum because this place becomes the place TO BE if your an H/L fan in the boards. No matter how much of a fan you are you can always drop by and comment on our favorite couple.

DM

24. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I've heard various things about the age difference, too. I can remember Lucas and Harrison both mentioning 8 and 10 years most recently. I think it's reasonable, so I usually go with that.

J_Girl

25. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

I'm so excited to see all this activity in here!

I definitely think that Han's past shaped him, although I think that innately, he would have always been a gentleman at heart as well as a woman magnet no matter what his background :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.