main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bespin Cafe - The Han/Leia Fanfic Index - We've Moved to Version 2.0!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Oh come on GJ! We need more of the scoundrel and Princess on the boards.

Ya know we were having a discussion in the Lounge about which couple people enjoy the most Anakin/Padme or Han/Leia. Han and Leia got a lot of the votes but my question to all of us crazy H/L shippers is this. When did you fall in love with the couple?

2. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Let's see.... July, 1977. :eek: :eek: (is not kidding, either)

3. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

You fell in love with them as a couple that early? So you weren't one of those people hoping Luke would get her?

4. Leia_of_Alderaan

Leia_of_Alderaan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2005
    Hmm. I don't really know when. I guess I started liking Han and Leia when I started liking romance. I've been watching the movies too early in my childhood to remember first finding out that Luke and Leia were siblings, and Han and Leia were in love. It was one of those things where by the time I was old enough to comprehend it, I had always known. I was even a little too young to realize that Anakin and Padme were destined to get married when I saw TPM. So, I can't really answer that question. lol.

5. calgary

calgary Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    I don't like Star WArs, but love Han. He is the only hero character that does not use the force. I find the idea of the force very annoying, so you know I'm not going to be into any of the other characters. I love Leia...but I just like her interaction with Han. I like her less when she uses the force. In the entire saga, they are the more appealing characters. The prequels did not help me, because they were so badly done as movies....and George Lucas is still god-awful to me as a writer. Ever try and read any of his books? So it is quite natural the rest of Star Wars does not interest me. Oh I'll read the boards looking for Han/Leia stories but that is about it.

6. calgary

calgary Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    I don't like Star WArs, but love Han. He is the only hero character that does not use the force. I find the idea of the force very annoying, so you know I'm not going to be into any of the other characters. I love Leia...but I just like her interaction with Han. I like her less when she uses the force. In the entire saga, they are the more appealing characters. The prequels did not help me, because they were so badly done as movies....and George Lucas is still god-awful to me as a writer. Ever try and read any of his books? So it is quite natural the rest of Star Wars does not interest me. Oh I'll read the boards looking for Han/Leia stories but that is about it.

7. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    I fell inlove with H/L when I was in 8th grade, when my star wars frenzy started... this was in 2002. I love them because well, in reality im a sucker for romance and to me H/L are the best couple in fiction... they complement each other and they are just perfect... :d

I probably wouldnt of loved SW so much if it was't for H/L

DM

8. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

Taking a moment to up the thread for us Han/Leia lovers!

9. PonyTricks

Jul 25, 2003
    You fell in love with them as a couple that early? So you weren't one of those people hoping Luke would get her?- Nope! From the very first time I saw the movie, I knew I wanted Han and Leia to end up as a couple. Luke just didn't 'do it' for me. I remember coming out of the theater and asking my cousin, "Who WAS that guy playing Han Solo?" =P~

And when I saw the cover of the "Empire Strikes Back" novel in the bookstore, about a month before the next movie came out, I was - [face_dancing] =D= [face_dancing]

10. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    Ok, yet again...this forum has died. We need new discussion topics or something. Here's one.

What do you think the rest of the SW saga would have been like if they had killed Han Solo off instead of putting him into carbon freeze?

11. PonyTricks

Jul 25, 2003
    KILLED HAN?? *Face shock*

I really have no idea what the rest of the saga would have been like, because I wouldn't have read any of the books, or seen the prequels! (or probably ROTJ) Actually, come to think of it.... [face_thinking] I wouldn't be reading THIS, either! [face_laugh]

12. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I agree; ROTJ would have been entirely not worth watching (IMO) if Han hadn't survived ESB. If Lucas had killed him off as per Harrison Ford's suggestion, I think I could take it (esp if he and Leia had both professed their love for each other again) but I think it would have made the movie too maudlin. Besides, the post ROTJ stuff would have been entirely not worth reading.

13. LadyEcho

LadyEcho Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2005
    Can I still reply to the when you fell in love with H/L question? If so, I was probably about seven or eight and hadn't seen the movies yet. My cousins from California were in town, visiting the family. Naturally, in a family of all boys, they had a lot of Star Wars action figures. I insisted on being the girl (I was even happier when I discovered she was a princess!). Then I picked up Luke and had them start kissing. Of course, my cousins freaked out saying, "That's her brother!" I asked where her boyfriend was and they handed me Han. :D

If Han were killed off in ROTJ, the trilogy would have been weird, in my opinion. I think they would have had to go into Leia's grief, especially since she proclaimed her love. It's not like with Ben where you didn't know him all that well.

To put a different spin on things, what do you think would have happened if the Falcon had landed at Alderaan, got blown up with it, and Leia managed to escape the Death Star? I know it's far-fetched, but would Yoda have tried to seek Leia out??

14. Leia_of_Alderaan

Sep 3, 2005
    I definitely think Yoda would have done something to find Leia. I'm not sure what, but he would have taken some action. And, might I add, Leia would have made a kick-butt Jedi.

I was watching ESB the other day, and I noticed something odd. When Luke takes off in his X-wing to go to Bespin, Obi-Wan says, "That boy was our last hope," and Yoda replies, "No, there is another." I thought that was kind of weird, because Obi-Wan was there when Luke and Leia were born. He knew that Leia was the next hope after Luke. Just a small interest point.

I agree, the saga would have sucked without Han Solo. Half the fun of the Star Wars saga is seeing Han and Leia argue back and forth. Just some of the things they say are so random and hilarious. And, without Han Solo, the romance element of the whole original trilogy is down the tubes. At the beginning, there was some chemistry between Luke and Leia, but if Lucas had gone farther than that, it would have been too weird. They're twins, it's waaayyy too weird to get any closer than they did.

15. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

I also agree that killing Han would have taken any sense of humor and adventure out of ROTJ and the EU books (though I haven't read many). Especially since Luke becomes all serious in ROTJ and of course Leia is always serious.

Oh my gosh I had an awful thought . . .

If Han died, Leia would have married the idiot Prince! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

It's funny when we've had H/L vs A/P talks in the social threads here everyone says that A/P is much more of a classical story then H/L. I tend to disagree. I think H/L is totally a classic story. The unworthy male Pirate courts the unattainable Princess. Plus there is some much electricty between H/L you'd have to be dead not to notice it.

16. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    When did I fell in love with this couple? January 6, 1981 (around 2100).
    Well, I have to confess, I totally fell in love with Han then. Leia? Kill her, freeze her, send her with the ewoks, I don't care. I'll comfort him.:D

Now I'm more mature and can say "What a lovely couple!" (The grapes are sooo green...)

But, now that I shake my old brain, I remember that around 1978, I was exchanging my trade cards from "the blond guy" for those of "the dark-haired guy". My friends thought I was a freak back then.

Han killed in Jedi? No, please, I was upset enough with him carbon-freezed in ESB...

17. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    If Han had been killed in ROTJ I probably wouldn't be a fan. I mean ROTJ was the first SW movie I ever saw, and Han has always been my favorite character.

Also the EU would be totally different. Instead of Leia marrying Han she would have ended up with a Han-like character or a smarmy prince like Isolder. Both options suck. Not only would we resent the Han-like character but smarmy prince would makes us [face_sick]. Not to mention what poor Chewie would go through. Just think about how guilty/angry the wookie would feel; no doubt a few of people would be missing their limbs.

Geez, what a depressing subect. I'm eternally grateful that Lucas did not go down that road.

18. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

Ok here's another good topic - The EU. I haven't read many books from the EU because from what I've heard there is a lot of death involved. I've also heard that some of the writers really water down Han and Leia's character. Which version of the couple do you enjoy more? The movies or EU and why.

Obviously I'm a movie fan and when I read CoPL I wanted to smack the author because they made Leia so heartless. Plus I don't think it would have taken them 5 years to get married. I think we all thought they were getting hitched right there in the Ewok Village (ok I did). [face_blush]

19. PonyTricks

Jul 25, 2003
    Well, the books don't hold a candle to the movies, but SOME of the books are good. "Tatooine Ghost" is my all-time favorite, because it's exciting, and it truly captures the spirit and love Han and Leia have for each other. Although I hated the NJO series, I have to admit I also like the Dark Nest books (so far). When you go into the 'literature' thread on these boards, all the people there (and I think, for the most part, they are younger, and male) hate the non-NJO books, especially the ones I happen to like! LOL! They hate the "Crystal Star", which I liked, and they hate "Children of the Jedi", which I ALSO liked, mainly because Han and Leia actually interacted in that story. Ah, well. I guess LFL can't please everyone. :D

20. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    I've read the Thrawn trilogy and a couple of others, and they seem pretty schematic there, the birth of the twins is the most cold birth I ever read... And their reunion after being three months apart! My husband was away from home for a month while I was pregnant and I remember perfectly what happened the minute he set a foot in the house!:D I think that in their effort to keep everything PG or less, they washed them down a lot.

21. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

As a writer - what aspects of Han and Leia do you find hard to write. I have no doubt we all have fun writing them arguing, but what parts of their relationship and characters do you some times struggle with?

22. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    So far? (I'm in the middle of it, actually)

The fights. They hurt.

23. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Really? It hurts to write the fights? I love trying to come up with zingers for them to fling at each other. Rworrr! :p [face_laughing]

24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I know, the zingers are the best part to write. Sometimes, when I have a bad day, I'll write a good snarky scene just to make myself feel in control of what makes me laugh.

25. IrishEyedJedi

Apr 24, 2005

I think the after math is the hardest thing to write. Especially if its pre ESB or right around that time. Only because it hard to find a balance with them both of how angry will they stay at each other, which will cave first, and will the other accept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.