main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Beta Reader Index v4.1 and Concrit Index -- April 2008 Update (New Info + Survey)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BetaReaderIndex, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Hi all; I haven't been around here for yonks, but I'm trying to ease back into fanficcing again.

I'm currently working on (sort of, very little's actually written so far) a Luke and Obi-Wan story set roughly between Padmé's death and Binary Sunset --- ie, essentially missing scenes from RotS's closing montage (taking no account of any of the books like the novelisation, Kenobi and Dark Lord). I started writing it mainly for myself as a reflection on and crystallisation of a number of strands of thought I've had about the PT over the past eight years. However, I've begun thinking of posting it here, and obviously different standards would apply if it was for consumption here, given the particular rules and culture of this fanfic board.

I don't really need a beta reader -- it would be nice, but I understand that people might not be able to commit the time necessary. All I'm looking for is an outside opinion, in very broad general terms, on some ideas. One particular element/scene I've envisioned for the story, I've realised, is possibly pretty disturbing/gross/sick. It didn't strike me as anything wrong at first, and I've been toying around with it in my head for several months now. There's absolutely no sex or violence involved or implied or mentioned, which is why it didn't raise red flags until now. I'm just beginning to wonder if it might be misinterpreted in some horrible metaphorical way -- it is intended to be symbolic, but not symbolic of anything sick -- and of course, it's only been inside my own head so far, so I feel a bit paranoid that maybe my instincts about this are totally off-base and sane people would find it disgusting, or, less dramatically, a purely gratuitous off-the-wall element which is unnecessary to the story and is just to grab attention, or aiming for High Drama and hitting Pretentious High-school Shakespeare/Sophocles Mashup :p

If anyone's willing to do this, I would be really grateful if you drop me a PM. As I said, there's no trace of sex or violence, but it's a little gothic. Think a corpse in a hospital morgue and an expandable stent that has to go in...

(Mods, I've tried to stick within the rules here, but if the above sounds like pimping/attention-grabbing, please feel free to delete this post.)

edit: the lovely Chyntuck has kindly volunteered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.