main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The BIGGEST reason that many people do not like the prequels is....?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Joeykin_Starrunner, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    Strilo edit: This thread really has gone bad places and it's time for a lock.

I love the prequels more for their overall stories then the sum of their individual parts. And I know based on what I've read (on this site and others) that the Prequels have divided Star Wars fans into two distinct camps: those that like them and those that hate them. There really is no middle ground when it comes to TPM and AOTC.

I have said it in past forums, but I'll say it here again. I like TPM because it is the beginning of the Saga and it has some cool things to conribute, but I can never fully connect with it because I feel that my favorite character, Anakin/Darth Vader...who also happens to be the main character of the Prequels, and pretty much the entire Saga...was poorly conceived, written, and performed. And I pretty much am annoyed by everything that involves him in the Third Act(i.e. winning the day by accident). Since Darth Vader is my favorite character, I wanted to see his origins, and connect with him from the beginning. Since this is not the case, it's hard for me to totally accept the movie.

AOTC on the other hand was a vast improvement for me overall, in terms of storyline, and specifically regarding Anakin's character. The storyline moved at a quicker pace, and it was more interesting, especially the Obi Wan mystery. As for AOTC Anakin, yes there were some flaws in his portrayal and dialogue as well, but I feel more was done right than wrong concerning his character. We got a feel for his thought process, his impatience, his stance on politics, and his insecurities. And then, there's the Tusken Massacre scene. It was one of my favorite moments in the entire Saga, and the perfect catalyst for the start of his down fall.

But, I digress. What I'm trying to say in this long babble is that the main reason why I personally don't love the prequels as much as I do the OT is because of the lack of relatable characters. I mean I like the characters of Obi Wan, Anakin (in AOTC), Yoda (in AOTC), and Qui Gonn, but not really anyone else. But, I don't LOVE those PT characters like I do Solo, Luke, and Leia...or even OT Yoda or Obi Wan. In the OT, sure the acting of the three leads wasn't Oscar caliber, but their performances were earnest, they talked and interacted like real people, and they had a great chemistry together. I felt none of that, really, in TPM. Things got a little better in AOTC...the characters were allowed to come alive a bit more, as can be seen in the Obi/Anakin banter, and the Anakin/Padme relationship (although there was some silly dialogue in that part of the film, at least Lucas tried) but it still wasn't on par with the OT. Now, I think alot of this was done on purpose. Lucas was trying to tell a more Epic story, with more Epic, fairy tale/science fiction feeling characters, whereas everything in the OT feels more intimate. In the old school fairy tales, people didn't generally act or talk like real people. They acted very cold, and spoke in a medieval inspired venacular. I think that's what he was going for here, i.e. so the characters would feel as if they lived in "a more civilized time" as Obi Wan put it. Part of it has to do with the nature and conception of the characters we are dealing with in the PT: Jedis, and politicians...not smugglers, Rebels, and a farmboy. In Lucas' world, the Jedi are taught to curb their emotions, and the Senators hide theirs as well. I think it was an interesting route for Lucas to follow... however, it turned out to be a slight misconception on his part, i.e. he went a bit overboard with the "civilized characters" angle. I think that instilling a bit more humanity into his characters would have helped ease the Prequels' other flaws, and this coulda been acheived mainly by telling the actors themselves to loosen up while he was directing them. Again, this is all more apparent in TPM, as things improved a bit in AOTC. But overall, there is no Han Solo like character who questions and makes fun of everythi

2. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I just hope that before things get really dark in ROTS, we get to see this type of interaction a bit more, specifically in the Anakin/Obi Wan relationship. Feeling that they have truly developed an actual friendship, and not just a master/teacher relationship, is the key factor that will make THE DUEL (and the film overall) even more effective and emotional, like Lucas says it will be.

I hope that too. But if it failes, we still have Clone Wars Volume II which did a good job.

The failinng of the PT=Portman

Maybe GL should just be doing what he did for ANH. All his directing should be, "Make it faster, more intense." :p

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I'll give you a hint. It starts with a "J" and ends with a "ar Jar Binks". :)

4. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I think all the people who grew up with the OT don't like change so they think it sucks.

But for us PT fans who are growing up now with this trilogy like this but think the OT is not as good but, I think most of us including me still think they are awesome movies just like the PT better.

I think it's the generation gap is what is splitting up fans into two groups, maybe 3 will join the fans

Good Stuff :)

5. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    It starts with a "J" and ends with a "ar Jar Binks

[face_laugh] So true.

Seriously though. I think that people don't particularly like the PT, because they grew up on the OT, and they loved that.

6. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Midichorians....clone war mystery never explained.... Yoda puppet looks horrible....No cockpit shot of the hyperspace jump.....less emphasis on characterization of the human cast in exchange for some brilliantly animated cgi characters .....Young boba cameo, c3po cameo, owen and beru cameo- they do nothing ..... plodding story..... I wish i could wish...

Meh... the biggest would be jar jar. But I love the vfx sequences ILM's been able to cook up. I love those parts. I love those parts. I lOVE THOSE PARTS! I'm going to marry them.

7. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i agree it is colder less emotional so far, i also think the editing couldve been better paticularly tpm, but i did enjoy aotc espescially since it got on with the story and also had 3 characters to focus on ala the ot, whereas tpm had 5 or 6 different characters with their own agendas. it was hard to care much with all that clutter

8. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    JAR JAR? ..he sucks; but i can't beleive the character actually ruins the movies for some of you..He is such a small character and so much more happens in the films.

I feel the same about ewoks, cant stand them; but i'm able to look past that..

9. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    They are idiots. There you question is answered.

Strilo edit: Looks like someone needs to review the forum rules. Flaming people is not ok.

10. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Well, now you've officially met the middle ground. See my sig. I love AOTC but severely dislike TPM. Hate wouldnt be accurate, because it is a Star Wars movie and has redeeming qualities, but I'm no apologist by any means.

11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    <<<<<those that like them and those that hate them. There really is no middle ground when it comes to TPM and AOTC.>>>>>

Yes, there is. Me for example.

12. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    If Lucas was to edit TPM it could be SOOO much better:

CG Yoda
    Less Jar Jar
    Less Pod Racing
    Less Anakin talking
    More Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn
    More battling (In every aspect)
    Change Jar Jars voice (and all the Gungans for that matter) to an exceptable voice.

... and I think that makes the movie a billion times better. Comparable to ROTJ (On a good day)

13. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    I think TPM and AOTC are both great. I like Jar Jar Binks, I like Gungans.

If anything I think those damn ewoks are the worst.

It really should have been Wookies and the D2 should have been built above Kashyyk. Would have made more cents to see wookies whippin stormtroopers than ewok midgets kicking there butts.

14. StarWarsFanBoy

StarWarsFanBoy Jedi Master star 1

Dec 29, 2004
    well i just finshed rewatching TPM for the frist time since it's oringal release on dvd and vhs and i must say that it got better IMO,but i still don't feel the conection to the new flims like i do with he OT.

AOTC is still iffy for me. it's not good but it not bad either. but the movie to me seems like an entirly diffrent movie and i don't mean a unique feel to to it i mean i don't feel like im watching part of the trilogy. it feels more like a stand alone movie than part of the PT.

I think the big problem is that people have been wanting just to see the events in ep.III and why and how Vader became Vader and the like that they couldn't really concertrate on the first 2 flims and thats why they seems to suck. once ROTS is relased and the bulid up of all those years is released i think people will see EP. I and II in a while new light.

or maybe lighting doesn't strike twice as it seems with he PT. either way if ROTS kicks butt i think we can all say that the trilogy on the whole wasn't so bad.

15. RundownJedi

RundownJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    "The BIGGEST reason that many people do not like the prequels is....?"

They are old and had too many ideas of what happened before ep. 4, 5 and 6....and now that they see that they had no clue...they are angry....

runs away*

Strilo edit: Please re-read the forum rules. We discuss the films here, not the fans.

16. gavin_van_draven

gavin_van_draven Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2005
    ok, ive been a big fan of star wars my whole life. i watched the OT probably 50 times as a child growing up and those movies were flawed then, and they are flawed now. the visuals were fixed to meet todays standards and i think they needed to be. (although there are still some lame creature masks still seen throughout the OT.) but let me point out these things

the originals are great but FAR from perfect. stop holding them so high and you will see that the prequals are just as good

A NEW HOPE is the slowest movie out of the bunch, and the battle scenes are boring at best. i tried to get my 18 yr old cousin to sit through 1 2 and then 4 5 and 6. 1&2 held his attention, i had to wake him up during 4!
    this movie plods along and the dialoge isnt any better than it is in 1&2 (face it Lucas writes cheesy dialoge)the only reason this movie was so successful is because NOTHING like it had been seen before. today we have SCI FI CHANNEL, we're force fed all kinds of similar material. it doesnt have the impact it did in the 70's!
    RETURN OF THE JEDI had ewoks defeating the empire. EWOKS! thats like an army of hobbits turning the tide at helms deep! it doesnt work for me. if it had been wookies, JEDI woulda been pretty flawless. this movie is goofy all the way through, just like PHANTOM MENACE... and thats the spirit lucas tried to capture in 1

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is probably the best in the series so far (UNTIL MAY 19)but its still not perfect... just watch it with someone young and new to these movies and you will see what i mean.

in PHANTOM the MAUL vs QGJ and 0B1 is the greatest duel so far, and the final half hour of CLONES is pure STAR WARS heaven! i could go on, but hell... im a fan. give these movies a break people! they are just movies! people come here to talk about them because they enjoy them! i can nit pick at the OT all day if i wanted to, but i am still a fan of them, just like i am a fan of the new movies.
    when REVENGE comes out, the picture will become complete.

the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

all of these movies have thier place in the telling of the story. its lucas's story, he wrote all of this down back when he made A NEW HOPE! let him tell it! who cares if some people dont like it? this is a forum for those that do. not everone has the same opinion, or likings... you cant make a movie and expect everyone to love it. lucas knows this, so he's making the story he wants to make.
    forgive my ranting... i just wanted to prove a point, those who like the OT and not the PT, just dont get it. and probably never will. box office records will still be broken, and you cant say the movie sucks if people are watching it again and again because it was just THAT good

17. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    As others have suggested I think the number one reason is that the prequels are not what most people expected. I think most long-time fans expected the prequels to have the same tone, look and feel as the OT but Lucas has gone in the opposite direction so far. For example, compare a battered old X-Wing to a shiny yellow Naboo N-1 fighter, or Leia's plain white robes to Padme's numerous outlandish outfits. It's hard to tell at first glance that they belong in the same universe. Hopefully ROTS will go some way to reconciling the two trilogies.

Personally, I certainly had to make a few mental adjustments after watching TPM for the first time and I still find that movie rather boring as it's mainly exposition. Although having said that, I feel much the same way about ANH. AOTC was a great improvement with many more 'saga moments' and a definite step towards the feel of the OT. Lastly, from what I've seen so far, I have high hopes for ROTS.

18. DarthVaderette

DarthVaderette Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2004
    "I think all the people who grew up with the OT don't like change so they think it sucks."

Not all of us think the prequels suck :) I love the prequels, however, as a person who grew up with the OT, I like them better mainly because they were the original, and nothing beats the original (I also like the revamped OT).

I really enjoy the whole saga and can't wait to see ROTS and am sad to see it end after following it for almost 30 years.

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I grew up with the OT and I love the whole Saga. It's one saga, two trilogies and six episodes.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

20. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    Yep I grew up with the OT and I actually love the PT more because AotC and TPM are so far (equally) my two favorite Star Wars episodes. I have a distinct feeling RotS is going to be my favorite. I know plenty of people, one being my best friend, who is the same age as me, 32, LOVES the PT, not quite as much as a I do, but really does love it.

21. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    for me the problem of the new trilogy is
    a. too many characters.
    I under stand jar jar' importance in film history (first complety digital main character. but he was unneccessary. qui gon ginn, I liked him, loved leim neeson's preformance, but why was he there. he should have been obi wan. and obi wan should have been anakin. sio bibble, capt. panaka, ric olie, the handmaidens, it goes on.
    b. the large canvas.
    too much going on. I liked that this was the explanation of every little detal of the ot. but my god the plot is confusing to kids.
    c. CGI
    what I love about the new trilogy is that we have finaly reached a point in filmmaking that if you can imagine it you can film it. that is the really reason lucas made these new films. to show off what can be done. but it puts people off. my wife hates the new movies because they have too much cgi.
    she uses the defense taht it is all fake. which is true. most people feel this way which means the dissmiss it as requiring no work. it is in realit as difficult if not more then making the physical things as sets or puppets or models.
    d. a lot of people think of lucas as a studio person. they think of star wars being what is wrong with cinima because it is so big and expensive. they really don't know what they are talking about but the new trilogy has come to represent for them this terrible thing. when it is really the most american of things. a single man who has found a a way to make money out of his dreams.

sorry may have lost a few people. and mabey rambled. I am at work and I keep getting interupted.

22. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    JAR JAR? ..he sucks; but i can't beleive the character actually ruins the movies for some of you..

I should probably note that by saying Jar-Jar is the "biggest reason that many people do not like the Prequels", I was referring to why others don't like the Prequels. I, personally, love the entire Saga-- love the Prequels, like the Ewoks, and don't think Jar-Jar is half bad. I was simply noting that for many, Jar-Jar is a main put off because his significance in showing how the Prequels may be aimed toward a "younger" audience. And he's no Han Solo, afterall.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I love Jar Jar. Indeed he did put off alot of teens and adults, but little kids love him...In fact I seem to remember seeing a quote of George Lucas's that said he knew Jar Jar Binks would be hated by adults.

24. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    I love Jar Jar. Indeed he did put off alot of teens and adults

And if GL's references to a PG-13 RotS, plus his descriptions of it being a "darker" and more emotionally charged movie, I think he'll gain back those teens and adults, even if it's at the expense of some tiny tots and kiddies. Thus, after RotS, I predict a lot less complaining about the Prequels as a whole but rather more of a complaininga bout "TPM-and-a-little-of-AotC" bashing.

But what do I know? I like the Saga overall with little complaints at all. :p

25. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    In a way the PG-13 thing is good, because it definately won't be for kids then. But it's bad in a way, because one of the few littel kids that I like just got into Star Wars, and now he won't be able to see it :(

Oh well. At least not so many people will bring their noisy little kids to it, so I can watch in some peace :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.