main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Blacklist

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    ARRRRGH

Tonight's episode. MAJOR Spoilers

Gordon Lightfoot! Mr. Kaplan! The hand moving. Red doesn't make mistakes. Either he purposely missed or she was wearing one hell of a vest under that jacket of hers. KAPLAN LIVES?!

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Interesting.

I think she has to be alive. The host was point blank, so there's no way she would have survived if he didn't want her to. Nor would there be any point in zooming in on what were just death throes. The bigger question is why he needed to pretend to execute her. Was that whole show just for Dembe's sake? Did they otherwise suspect they were being watched?

I also think her mother has to return at some point this season.

Elizabeth did a good job.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Courier

I’m betting on the long play. The future.

Your future’s arriving now.

*So this episode is going to have an uphill climb to get back on my good side because it opens with Liz confronting Tom about the murder at Angel Station and then he starts strangling her and then she wakes up.

*That’s right, it’s a dream sequence cold open. This episode is on my nerves already.

*So, Tom’s going to an ultrasound to see the baby that he and Liz are going to adopt.

*So, this guy named Seth Nelson has been kidnapped apparently and the kidnapper makes a proof of life video and then Seth stabs his kidnapper in the chest and the kidnapper’s just like “Whatever, bro” and just keeps filming.

*So, I think this is the first reappearance of the guy that was with Red outside the FBI building just before he turned himself in. He appears to just be like a second in command or something.

*Great exchanges: “The seller hired the Courier to make the exchange. The last time we attempted to intercept him . . .” “I’m well aware of the men & resources we lost in Cairo.”

*Ressler and Liz bond: “Have I told you yet I don’t place much stock in profiling? And by ‘much,’ I mean ‘none.’ It’s never once helped me solve a case. You know what has?” “Hm?” “Facts.” “Yeah. I also prepared a profile on you. ‘Uptight, fueled by an inner rage.’”

*The whole “you know what solves cases facts hard evidence etc” thing is pretty lazy as characterizations go.

*So, Red waxes on about the Courier. “The next target on the Blacklist is a physical embodiment of both [fear & the threat of violence]. He’s known as the Courier & his involvement in a transaction virtually guarantees success. Once he’s hired to make a delivery, he can’t be bribed. He can’t be stopped. If either party attempts to double cross the other, he kills them both.”

*Wait a minute; if one party pulls a double cross, he kills EVERYONE? That does not sound like a good idea. For anyone in the scenario.

*What it essentially means is you hire this guy and you can be certain that either your package will be delivered or you will be horribly murdered. And nothing you do or don’t do will have any effect on which outcome you get. Maybe you do everything right, but the guy on the other end does something wrong. Well, you’re dead, through no fault of your own.

*And exactly how does the Courier make a living doing this? I wouldn’t imagine you would get a whole lot of jobs, for one; for two, if you kill everyone else involved in the transaction how do you get paid? Though I guess you do have whatever the package is. So, if you’re transporting, say, an incredibly valuable painting and then you kill everyone, well, you don’t get paid for the job by anyone, but you do have an incredibly valuable painting to do with as you please.

*Regardless, I think this business plan is deeply flawed and I have no idea why anyone would ever hire this person.

*So, all Red knows is that the Courier is working on delivering a package worth $20 million and that he’s going to deliver it to an Iranian spy at a farmer’s market in two hours & forty-five minutes.

*So, everyone goes to the market and Liz spots the guy. A kid does a brush pass and gives the spy a cell phone. “When it rings, pick it up.”

*Yeah, I know how to work a ******* cell phone, kid. I’m a ******* Iranian spy. What are you, ten?

*So, anyway, the Courier spots the FBI and assumes that he’s been sold out. He shoots the spy in the head and takes off.

*So, see, not only will the Courier murder everyone if he is actually betrayed, but if he just THINKS he might have been betrayed. Once again, why would anyone hire this guy?

*He’s like, “Hmm, that car down the street looks vaguely suspicious I wonder if . . . hmm. *murders everyone*”

*So, there’s a big car chase/gunfight.

*I’ve said it before and I will keep saying it. The action in this show is not just good; it’s not just super-good; it’s damn great. GREAT.

*So, the Courier manages to briefly hide from Liz and Malik and he hides a memory card inside the knife wound in his chest and then straightens out a broken bone in his arm. This guy’s hardcore.

*Okay, I’d just like to say that Parminder Nagra who plays Malik is . . . like, I’m sorry, I know that I’m playing right into the hands of the show creators here, but I find her quite compelling.

*She’s 5’3”, Indian, British accent. And she’s charging around in a pant suit with disheveled hair, waving a gun around. I have rarely felt so much at the mercy of my sexuality.

*Good Lord, she’s over forty. I would have put her an easy ten years younger. Those dark skinned women just don’t age normally. See Also: M.I.A.

*Great James Spader lines: “You’re not telling us everything.” “Let me put your mind at ease *beat* I’m never telling you everything.”

*Okay, so this guy is horrifically scarred all over his body as we find out when the doctor examines him. It seems that he has congenital anhidrosis, which means that he can’t feel physical pain. That sounds made up, but I’ve heard of weirder things.

*That poor Tree Man who had that HPV disorder so his body couldn’t regulate the growth of keratin so his hands and feet were just covered in these crazy like horn-like growths? That’s weirder. And it happened. Really sad too. I think he’s dead now.

*I actually think everybody should see those pictures of the Tree Man just because it’s one of the craziest things you’ll ever see. But be warned, it’s got some real elements of body horror to it; it’s one of the most graphically obvious cases of being betrayed by your own body and you will never forget the pictures. But again, I think you should look at them. But you know your own limits on things like that. Just Google tree man and it’ll come up.

*So, the package that the Courier is responsible for is the kid we saw at the beginning, Seth Nelson. He’s a very, very high-up NSA analyst, so he obviously has a lot of secrets. They see the video that the Courier made of Seth. So, he’s locked in a box with an oxygen mask that will last for several hours. The Courier tells them that at the moment, Seth has about fourteen hours of air left.

*It’s a Race Against Time™!

*So, Liz brings in the Courier’s brother once they figure out who he is; Courier’s real name is Tommy Phelps. Turns out that Tommy’s dad figured out when he was a little kid that whole thing with him not being able to feel pain. So, presumably in the interest of science, he started entering him into dogfights.

*No, really.

*It seems like that would be against the rules.

*Reddington & Cooper bond: “We’ve gotten off to a rocky start.” “You’ve killed three people.” “I’m not perfect.”

*So, Tom calls Liz and tries to get her to come home. He says he has something important he needs to talk to her about. She puts him off, of course, but then we see what Tom wanted to talk to her about. He’s got the box out from under the floorboards, sitting in front of him. This should be good.

*So, they decide to contact the seller in the Seth exchange; it’s a French woman named Dechambou. They send in Ressler to pretend that he’s the Courier to tell her the deal’s off and she can pick up Seth where she gave him to the Courier. Then they’ll follow her back to that place and hopefully be able to find Seth from there.

*God, Ressler in casual clothes is just brutal. Yeah, there’s a LOT of hair gel in this scene.

*So, Ressler has to beat up the bouncer at Dechambou’s club, of course. Meera indulges herself: “That was hot.” “You know he can hear you, right?” “Yup.”

*I admit I was rolling my eyes at the “that was hot” line, but then they won me over with that little self-aware follow-up.

*Of course, Dechambou wants proof that he’s the Courier which leads to a hilarious bit of business. “They say you can’t feel pain. Prove it.”

*The look on Ressler’s face . . . I swear.

*So, Ressler does this super intense little monologue about how he’s lost everything he’s ever cared about and so he loves his job and then he cuts himself with a bottle.

*So method. Ressler needs to get into Community Theater. He’d be great in Wait Until Dark.

*So, anyway, there’s a big action sequence because it still doesn’t fool Dechambou, so the FBI ends up arresting her, but they still don’t know where Seth is.

*Red convinces them to release her so he can approach her on his own.

*This scene is just chock full of dialogue worth chewing. “If this is about that incident in Paris . . .” “Oh, we’ll always have Paris.” “What do you want?” “So many things.” Plus: “The Iranian is dead, and you’re next. You know that.” “I did nothing wrong.” “The world is rarely a fair place. That’s why it needs people like me.”

*So, meanwhile, the Courier has escaped via the time tested method of having a tool concealed inside his own body and pulling it out.

*Okay, so he doesn’t feel pain. He’s still injuring himself quite gruesomely. And not just the skin. The internal bleeding on this guy must be insane. You can’t just insert a hammer or whatever into your sternum and then pull it out of your stomach without killing yourself.

*So, the Courier’s brother tells them that the family used to own a cabin up in the woods or whatever, so Meera and Ressler head up there. Meanwhile, Dechambou has given Red some information about where Seth might be, so he and Liz and Dembe head up there.

*So, Ressler and Meera find the Courier and it is like the least climactic thing ever. He shoots at them a couple of times and then he just walks out of the cabin, collapses and dies.

*I mean, this does suggest that the writers realize that the guy would not be able to survive just shoving things into his torso and then yanking them out willy-nilly and so they had him just bleed out or whatever. But still, I’m honestly not sure why he even needed to escape. This whole bit is just filler really.

*Meanwhile, Liz and Red find Seth in a buried refrigerator at a junk yard that is entirely filled with refrigerators.

*Dembe has to resuscitate Seth as he’s stopped breathing. Red looks on and only James Spader could sell this line: “I died for a two-and-a-half minutes in Marrakesh. You wouldn’t believe the things I saw on the other side.”

*Oh, boy, there’s a scene where Liz is all doe-eyed and she asks Ressler if that melodramatic speech he made about how he had nothing left and everything had been taken from him was actually true and he’s all stoic and shifty and like, “I was undercover.”

*Great. Great. Can’t wait to find out what secret tragedy is driving Ressler. This should be hilarious.

*So, Red gets Seth to give him one time access to some classified stuff and he sends Liz the unredacted version of the file on the murder she thinks Tom committed.

*So, Liz goes home with the file and she’s like, “We need to talk.” And Tom’s like, “I was just gonna say the same thing.” And then he’s like BOOM *********** CHECK OUT THIS BOX WITH GUNS IN IT.

*Okay, nice ending. This seems to promise some actual answers next episode. We’ll see about that.

*I wish they’d had some awesome music cue on this one. Like that first episode and the 99 Problems cue after the final line? Something just totally out of left field, but that actually worked perfectly. Like *puts the box down* IF YOU GOT GIRL PROBLEMS etc. Actually, maybe 99 Problems should just be the music cue that ends every episode of television.

*Let me just say that I hated the opening of this episode, right? Well, if next episode reveals that this final scene is another dream, I am going to lose my ****.

*Okay, well, anyway, this one was just kind of okay. It has a really flawed premise in the whole idea of the Courier; I mean, I’ve talked at length about it, but no one would hire this person. As Dechambou says in her final scene in the episode, she’s now a target even though she didn’t do anything. And she says that’s not fair, but it’s the ******* deal she made when she hired the dude. So, the whole premise is stupid.

*This is also RIGHT after the Stewmaker and we have another horribly scarred villain. This is hopefully not going to be a trend.

*And that whole sequence with Ressler pretending to be the Courier. I mean, that is eye rolling stuff.

*The show still does great action.

*And, yes, my crush on Parminder Nagra is fully activated after the chase scene in this episode and I KNOW this is just a rip off of Archie Panjabi on The Good Wife and I still can’t help it. Damn you, Blacklist.

*Eh, distinctly average.

2 stars.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How far behind in actuality are you?

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    nobody gives a ****

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wocky. Wocky does. Anyway, I'm through Season One. Not gonna do Season Two until I have all of my Season One reviews posted. Maybe one week. Maybe. I tried to walk away. But Wocky pulled me back in.

[​IMG]

Gina Zanetakos

I can only lead you to the truth. I can’t make you believe it.

*So, this one starts with some woman, presumably the titular character, hiring a guy to make a radioactive bomb. She needs it in thirty-six hours.

*Meanwhile, back in the general proximity of the Big Box o’ Passports™, Tom is telling Liz that he has no idea what the deal is with the box. He’s saying that he thinks it has something to do with HER and her mysterious intelligence job.

*Tom’s getting pretty pissy about all this: “Are you telling me, like, what? Like you think I murdered a KGB defector? Like I’m Bond? I’m Tom Bond?”

*So, anyway, Tom says that it’s all forged and he has nothing to do with it and he convinces Liz to just call her team and see what they can do about it.

*So, Liz turns Tom over to Ressler and Meera. Cooper sends her home while they get down to questioning Tom about the situation.

*They bring Tom into the site with a bag over his head. They take the bag off of his head and Eggold just says, “Was . . . was that . . . necessary?” He just owns the delivery.

*Tom should be glad he doesn’t have a broken leg. When Meera comes into question him, she has a cup of coffee and Tom’s like “Thanks” and I swear for a second I was just sure she was going to just throw scalding hot coffee into his eyes.

*So, Red meets with Liz and he tells her about this woman, Gina Zanetakos. She’s a “corporate terrorist.” So this seems to mean that she does things like corporate sabotage and such. And Red has a bombshell: “If you want to find the truth about your husband, then you need to find Gina.” “Why? Does she know Tom?” “She’s Tom’s lover.”

*I wish Red would just start carrying a microphone around specifically so he can drop it. It wouldn’t even need to be plugged into anything.

*So, Red pressures Cooper to bring Liz back to the team. “We could always reminisce about that unfortunate incident in Kuwait.” “Are you threatening me, Red?” “I am.” So, last time we got a hint of Ressler’s inner pain. Time to start developing Cooper.

*So, Gina Zanetakos is now travelling under the name “Shubie Hartwell.”

*Because she needed something a little less attention getting than Gina Zanetakos?

*Oh, it’s the computer guy from Wujing. Aram. I guess he’s a supporting character now. I think this is his first appearance since Wujing.

*So, the team figures out that “Shubie” is at a hotel right there in Washington. Ressler and Liz rush there to discover that she’s just drugged a Turkish . . . diplomat or something.

*I will say one thing about this actress that plays Gina. Changing her hair really does make her look totally different. In the opening scene, she has short dark hair and the next time we see her, she’s got a long blonde wig and I honestly think I wouldn’t have recognized her. That rarely happens, it seems to me, in these shows. Usually there are characters that are supposed to be great super-spies, but they’re totally memorable and the disguises never look real. But this really seems more believable than usual.

*So, there’s a cool sequence here with Ressler and Gina on an elevator. She’s slipped into a crowd of women and Ressler gets on the elevator with them and he’s on his walkie-talkie and everything about the situation with her standing like a foot away from him. And then everybody else gets off the elevator and they have a nice little close quarters fight scene. Gina ends up choking Ressler out and escaping.

*They do get her phone though and they find out about the dirty bomb that she’s planning to detonate, but they still don’t know where.

*Oh, by the way, I almost never notice this stuff, but Liz’s scar is noticeably absent in this episode.

*Liz becomes skeptical of Red’s story once she discovers that there are no message between Gina and Tom on Gina’s phone. Red’s answer: “Perhaps they exchanged letters.” Okay, Red. Sure. Two super-secret, globe-hopping agents communicate via letter in the 2010s. Sure.

*So, anyway, Tom’s saying that he’s been set up. He says he met a guy at Angel Station for this job interview, but when they contact the guy, he’s like, “Nope” and then Tom sees his picture and he’s like, “That’s not the guy I met” and, you know.

*So, they raid Gina’s apartment and they find out that she was also at Angel Station when the murder happened because she has pictures of the dead guy.

*So, this FBI guy shows Liz that there’s a photograph of Tom on Gina’s bedside table and this is, like, devastating because it might indicate that Red was right when he said Tom and Gina were having an affair.

*But, um, look, is that something people do? Like just have an old school headshot lying on your bedside table when you’re seeing someone? It’s a digital era, guys. I would venture to say that I have not had an actual printed out photograph of anyone I’ve dated for like over ten years. Or is this why these relationships end? “Oh, I see you don’t even have a headshot of me on your bedside table.”

*Besides, if it’s on your bedside table . . . I mean, we all know what that’s for, right? I mean, if you’re lying in bed holding a headshot there’s only one thing you’re up to.

*Ressler does have a really great line here: “Whatever you think this means, I admire what you’re doing – standing up for your husband. But I think we both know it’s time for you to protect yourself.”

*So, Liz goes crying to Red: “We found a picture of Tom in her house. He said he doesn’t know her, but clearly he does.”

*Because you found a picture of him in her house? Do you know how pictures work?

*So, anyway, they find out that Gina recently made a big payment to this bomb maker named Ruddiger, so Red goes after him and uses some of his patented “I was planning a big operation and I thought I could use you, but could you also tell me about this bomb you just made?” routine.

*So, yet another reason to love Ressler. They figure out where Gina is and we get this whole routine; RESSLER: I know you want to get your hands around her neck. But when you do, don’t kill her. *BLAM BLAM BLAM SHOOTS HER ABOUT FIFTEEN TIMES*” That Ressler. He’s a prankster.

*So, anyway, it’s this whole plot to detonate the bomb at Houston, thus causing all shipping traffic to have to go through New Orleans where this company called the Hanar Group has an office and this will cause their stock prices to go up so they hired Gina.

*In a rather neat touch, Liz figures it out because Red makes an offhand remark about an illegal art shipment he’s trying to get through Houston, but a warning has gone through the criminal underground to steer clear of there for a while.

*So, this culminates in them finding the car-bomb but having no time to either defuse it or crane it away, so Ressler has to do this absolutely hilarious drive in order to send the car flying off the ship its on and into the water before it detonates in less than a minute.

*Unfortunately, a bus of school children is not around to witness this heroic gesture.

*I would love it if the last scene of this episode was just a cameo of Michael Caine sitting in a café in Italy and then he looks up and Ressler is sitting across the room. And then just *slow nod* *slow nod*

*So, Gina survives and tells the FBI that Red was the guy who hired her to kill the Russian defector in Angel Station and then frame Tom for it. Red tells Liz that she’s lying, but Liz is still like “We’re done.”

*Red is philosophical about the whole thing: “I can only lead you to the truth. I can’t make you believe it.”

*Well, in fairness to Liz, you could be a little less cryptic about things.

*And then in our final scene, the guys watching Liz and Tom through the secret cameras in their house discuss matters. “Do you believe he’s innocent?” “The only thing that’s clear to me is that he doesn’t work for Reddington.” “Then who the hell does he work for?”

*OK, so there’s Red. Then there’s these guys watching Liz & Tom. Then there’s Tom. And none of these guys are on the same team. Apparently, I mean.

*This one was fine, I guess. I like that the show didn’t dodge the cliffhanger from last episode and just spent most of its running time investigating Tom and his relationship to the box. I’m glad that’s out in the open now; you can only stretch a plot like that so far and getting rid of the box as an active force in the show’s psychology is a good thing, I think.

*Now, is Tom innocent? I don’t think so. Or I don’t necessarily think so. But I think it’s good that the show purportedly gave us some answers. I expect things to be more complicated than just “oh, yay, Tom’s innocent” but I’m glad to get that box out from under that floor.

*The Gina Zanetakos character is . . . less successful. She’s pretty rote and uninteresting and the whole bomb plot is pretty predictable. Her fight with Ressler in the elevator was great, very well directed and intense.

*Decent episode, not particularly great.

2 ½ stars.

The Blacklist!

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Is this show still going?

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Really, Lord of Vivec? That's all you have to say about Elizabeth?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Not only going, but a spin-off starting this year!

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There is not enough material in this setting for a spin off show. What are they even doing?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The female version of Red (played by Famke Janssen); she has connections to some of the main players on the main show.

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The spin off is stupid. It's based off some idiot who is nothing like Elizabeth and Evil Husband.

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Wocky this whole show is stupid, including Elizabeth.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Lord of Vivec! Watch your tongue.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Vivec, you need to be sure and tune in for my next review. I think Wocky's going to kill me over it.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Anyway, to give some proper episode commentary, it really is good to see Aram again. The beauty of the show is also just starting to unfold, though I agree this episode in particular isn't a standout. Also, given the number of episodes you've done so far, can you please give us an honorability ranking for the major characters? I don't see how you'll be a credible reviewer without them.

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know who is dumber and weaker. Elizabeth or Aram.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Aram is the best, you take that back!

Yodaminch and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Lord of Vivec, what is possessing you to became such an outrageous rogue?

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Aram is a dork.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Is that a wrong thing? Should people avoid it? He is honorable. What is happening to your morals?

And what is your complaint against Elizabeth? What could you possibly say against her?

Rogue1-and-a-half and Rew like this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm anxiously awaiting Rogue1.5's S1 finale recap since... it doesn't end well for his proclivities...

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, boy, we have many episodes between now and then. Maybe I will speed up posting my backlogged reviews. Still, I'm trying to remember what in particular you're talking about and I'm not sure. Interesting.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Let him take his time. We are at the dawn of honor.

Unlike Lord of Vivec, Rogue isn't completely gone, so he should still be able to appreciate what is about to unfold.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Meera being your favorite...