main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Blue Moon Cantina XX: Home of the Dancing Ewoks

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Bardan_Jusik, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I think that is what is important, that you do what you believe is the right thing, and “walk with integrity in your heart.” :)

2. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Humans don't have integrity.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    We have free will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darthbernael likes this.
  4. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Naw, I don't believe we have that either. Our choices are genes plus environment.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I believe in integrity and free will; but we have strong pulls such as nature and nuture.

6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Rather generalizing I think ;) Taring us all with the one brush in never conducive to honest appraisal of the human race.

I agree. Life is about choices, the choices one makes decides the life they get to live and the path they take. Some paths are harder, some choices are impossible, but we have the free will to make them. Life is about choices. We all face them and we all have to make them.

darthbernael , Shadowsun and Kato Sai like this.
  7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I loved the tagline from a video game that read, “Every choice has a consequence.” In the game youf every action rippled and effected not only your life, but the lives of others. We often don’t het to see how our choices effect others on the scale of say SW where you see Anakin do something and if not omly effect his family and the galaxy. But our choices are having an impact, even if we do not see the fruit at the momenf.

Sorry, piggybacked off your wise words. :)

8. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017
    Sorry if that gets deep super quick, I just find talking about this philosophical stuff quite fascinating, and well... those that know me should know I like a good ramble, so sorry in advance lol.

While I would agree that genes and our environment shape the vast majority of who we are, shape and limit our choices it does not mean that we are rid of choice. If what you say is true then we are robbed of any moral responsibility for our actions, as we as an individual or as a group had no choice in the matter. After all the concept of morality, of good and bad, stems from the idea that we can choose between doing good and doing evil. (Of course, those terms can differ in context and what they can mean for people is different but that's a topic for another day)

Now, some time ago, I read or watched a video about a scientist, I think it was Stephen Hawking but I could be completely wrong on that, spoke that if you had all the data you needed you could predict a person's action. This stems from a principal idea in physics, and generally speaking in science, in regards to reductionism and that if you break down a complex system down far enough to its most basic level you can seek to understand it. Which is why we can understand how gravity works and how the physics of an atom work but when we try and bring those two concepts together we don't have a unified model of the two. (Shh no string theory doesn't count)

Anyway, why do I bring this up? Well, you can apply the same idea to biological systems, and the human brain. And hypothetical speaking, from a strictly materialist standpoint, you could argue if you had enough data points you could predict what a given person was going to do before they even knew themselves. Now a couple problems with this, but chief among them is well, the scientist came to the conclusion that the human mind is so complex and the amount of data you would need to perform such a calculation, if it even is possible, is so vast that the only sensible thing to do is to presume that humans have free will.

Miniramble over, hope I don't across too much like a know-it-all and there might be gaps in my memory in regards to the last part, but that was definitely the general idea, anyway thanks for coming to my TedTalk that no one asked for....

9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    “Gattaca” the film illustrates your points in a visual style. It shows no matter how you manipulate genes, and think you can predict a life, and what its capable of you cannot control a person’s free will to choose. Ethan Hawk’s character Vincent defies the models and society built on data and deciding a person’s fate with genes; his choices and free will allows him to ascend despite the obstacles.

10. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    @Shadowsun that sounds very much like the concept, what you mentioned about the scientist, of psychohistory from the Foundation books by Isaac Asimov.

Kato Sai and Shadowsun like this.
  11. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes that was it... thanks for jogging my memory @darthbernael :)

Kato Sai and darthbernael like this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I shall have to read this Isaac Asimov.

Shadowsun and darthbernael like this.
  13. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    He is one of the fathers of modern science fiction. Also one of the few people to have written in every category of the old Dewey Decimal system. All told he wrote over 700 works, from essays to full books.

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    What is a good primer of his? Where would you start?

darthbernael likes this.
  15. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    One of the best to start with is his book, The Caves of Steel. It's the first book of the Robots series.

Interesting tidbit, if you've ever heard of the Three Laws of Robotics in any book, he's the one that came up with them.

16. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006
    He wrote I, Robot, right? Great one. I read the foundation books as a teen, should really look into rereading those.

17. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    Yes he did, that one was the following book to the Robots trilogy, Caves of Steel, Naked Sun, and Robots of Dawn.

Warrior_Goddess likes this.
  18. Warrior_Goddess

Aug 17, 2006
    I've been slowly making my book club read classic scifi but I think I'm the only one into them haha.

19. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    Ohhh, Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Herbert, Hubbard, Card...So many

greyjedi125 and Kato Sai like this.
  20. Warrior_Goddess

Aug 17, 2006
    Been on an Ursula Le Guin kick lately. So so good.

21. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    And now you have me thinking of Anne McCaffrey

22. Warrior_Goddess

Aug 17, 2006
    Oh man I definitely didn't finish her dragon series. That'd be a fun undertaking lol.

darthbernael likes this.
  23. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    I used to have them all, including the 'History' and the other reference books for the Pern series.

24. Warrior_Goddess

Aug 17, 2006
    Impressive! I don't think my to read pile can handle that long of a series added to it lol. And I've been wanting to reread new jedi order which is also long..lol.

darthbernael likes this.
  25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I am the same, the volumes on my reading list are numerious.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.