main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Blue Side of the FanForce

Discussion in 'Archive: Portugal' started by Nin, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nin

Nin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    Oh no, this thread is not meant to be a drama palace. :p
    *gives blue-milk to everyone*

It's a an attempt to tidy the house a bit. Instead of making a thread every time I have to approach a CR related issue, I'll just start using this one.
    It's in english so Omega can participate in it too. :)

Think of it as a Communications/Announcements thread. ;)
    If you have something to say about FFP, say it here.

Okies, anya and I were discussing whether it is good to change or not the editing time.

In some sense, extending the editing time to, lets say, 24 hours has it's advantages - if the TOS is not respected we don't have to bother a RSA to edit something that they don't even understand. If someone wants to add something to a informative post, he/she has more time to do an update or rectify links and other stuff.

Now, one can say that this system has disadvantages. It gives the ability to change a post in a discussion, but I think we can rely on good sense to avoid that sort of thing.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter. Should we make a limited time experience with the 24 hour edit time?

In other news...what happened to the icon? :p
    We were all happy-happy joy-joy about it and then that topic disappeared from conversation. Is someone working on something or is that set aside? White, any news?

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    It's in english so Omega can participate in it too.

woohoo, thank you.

I think it's a good idea to change, especially if you consider that most people here post and check it ½ day, ¼ day for a response or the next day and they suddenly they see a very emberassing spelling, grammar mistake :)

The only real advantage is the spelling/grammar correction, I don't see anymore disadvantages.

Oh well that was my ?0,02

3. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I agree with the 24h thingie, because... *points at what Omega said*

About the Icon... I think the reason why it's on hold is the lack of chance to make the metalic effect the icon should have. So... when is the patch or whatever it is getting there, White? :p We wanna see a pretty medal! :D

4. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Well, obviously I agree with the extending, due to the reasons that have already been presented. I see no harm in experimenting it; if we see that it doens't work out and/or that the feature is beeing abused, it's not difficult to change it back to the hour and half we have now. :)

5. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I think we should change the edit time as soon as this place becomes quite busy (which won't happen for a while I think)

With regular updates etc.

6. AlmaMavisTaraza

AlmaMavisTaraza Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2002
    24 hours seem a bit too much for me...i mean, people should read their own posts 3 times: while they're writing them, after they finished writing them, and when it's posted :)
    but i must admit that even i, in all my wisdom ( :p ), still make mistakes using this method :eek:
    also, i'm worried it might screw up the continuity....like for example, imagine someone says something in a post and the meaning was not what the person wanted. then someone else says something about that person's post...and that person edits the post to give it the right meaning (like put a , somewhere...sometimes it's important :p ). dunno about you guys but i'd be bloody confused if i hadn't read the original post [face_plain]
    better yet: imagine i had managed to explain myself clearly :p
    now imagine lots of people posting asking me to explain myself better. next, imagine i edit my original post and add the right word or punctuation that makes it clear as water.
    now imagine a thread with a post clear as water and lots of posts asking to explain it. it would look silly, right? :)
    anyway.
    90 minutes is fine with me... but if everyone wants 24 hours, i'm cool with that :)
    but i will personally whip people who abuse the feature [face_devil]
    bwahahahahahahahahaha! *cough*cough*
    what i REALLY wanted was the clock set to portuguese continental time :D
    currently it's 8 hours late :_|

EDIT: go figure, a post badmouthing editing posts and it's edited 3 times :p
    the sweet irony [face_plain]

7. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    *blinks at AlmaMavisTaraza's post*

Well the example you just told me is abusing actually it, you should just create a new post to explain it further.

The 24 hour thing if just for spelling/grammar mistakes

I for example won't check my post only after a reply, which most of the time takes ½ a day :)

8. WildSyco

WildSyco Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    24 hours is allot! I mean you can alter the entire post for a day, and that can bring problems in the future. 90 minutes is just fine. But you could make it like 120/180 minutes

9. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I do not agree with the 24hrs.
    The 90 minutes works perfectly for me. I 99% of the time check my posts after i write them, that's why i have normally several edits on my posts. I don't want it to look like i edited my post 23hrs later just to change what i said in some discussion. The edit time can be extended, but not more than 2 hours available to do so (120m instead of 90m), in my oppinion.

About the reason that supports the 24hrs.
    PPL already know they can't swear. And if something is noticed by the CR, the time that takes to happen . plus the time that it takes for the "infractor" see the CR request to correct. Will normally go beyond those 24hrs. So I don't think that the 24hrs edit policy, will really help and resolve most of those situations.

Sorry for not posting a lot latelly (during the past 6 days) but i'm having (still am) some ISP issues. I currently connected by a 56k modem i have. I will reply to other subjects and treaths when my net sittuation is resolved.

10. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    Either way is fine with me... make it 180 minutes then... it might be better. :)

11. Nin

Nin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    If we had the 24hr edit, maybe you could change "treath" to "thread", White. :p

Anyway...we are not reaching an agreement here. :(

so, shall we:
    1. leave it - 90 minutes
    2. prolong it - 180 minutes
    3. extend it - 24 hours
    4. maximize it - no time limit

Place your votes. And remember, this is only an experiment, if we don't feel confortable with the change (if we make one) things get back to normal.

Oh, and Mavis, I don't think the clock can be changed. It's JC time. :p

12. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    I vote for the middle-term, then; 180. ;)

13. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    Oh, and Mavis, I don't think the clock can be changed. It's JC time.
    why not? everyone knows lisbon is the center of the universe :D
    *cough*
    i vote for the 90 minutes option...actually i think 60 minutes would do just fine uh oh....
    *is chased by an angry mob*

14. WildSyco

WildSyco Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    180 minutes!! Making it 24hours is dumb and pointless

15. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Well, I think I can see the option that's going to win....

but still, I vote for the 24h. :)

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I vote for 24h :D

17. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    If we had the 24hr edit, maybe you could change "treath" to "thread", White.
    Nin, i would not be able to change it in time even with the 24hrs limit.

I would vote for 90 or 120 minutes.

18. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    how about a poll?
    everyone votes, and in a week we see what option wins! :D
    (burocracy is the way! [face_devil] )

19. Nin

Nin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    No need to create a pool really. We are not that much members in here. I think this voting method works.

So far we got:
    90 minutes - 2
    180 minutes - 2
    24 hours - 3

Yes, I'm part of the 24 hour lobby.
    Wild, 24hours is not dumb. It might be pointless, but we never know till we try it. And doesn't really hurt.

20. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Well. You can read it as the 24hrs option winning. Or you can read it as 3 ppl in favor to the 24hr policy and 4 against.

21. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    Well. You can read it as the 24hrs option winning. Or you can read it as 3 ppl in favor to the 24hr policy and 4 against.

Isto nao funciona assim. [face_plain]

É como nas eleições portuguesas. Há varios partidos e ganha o que tem a maior percentagem e não os outros todos juntos mesmo que tenham uma percentagem maior todos juntos do que o que ganha (e não, nada de coligações aqui :p).

22. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    a não ser que alguem queria mudar o seu voto....
    (tee hee this is exciting [face_devil] )

23. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Could someone translate the last 2 posts in English so that I can understand :) :D

24. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    Isto nao funciona assim. [face_plain]

É como nas eleições portuguesas. Há varios partidos e ganha o que tem a maior percentagem e não os outros todos juntos mesmo que tenham uma percentagem maior todos juntos do que o que ganha (e não, nada de coligações aqui :p ).

Translation:

This doesn't work that way. [face_plain]

It's like in the Portuguese elections. There are several Parties and the one with the biggest percentage of votes wins and not the other Parties all together (and no, no political alliances here :p ).

a não ser que alguem queria mudar o seu voto....

Translation:

unless someone decides to change their vote...

25. Nin

Nin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    This is past exciting. It's really starting to get boring... :p

White, that is not the way it works and you know it. We'll just keep running in circles if we start thinking that way. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.