main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD >>> The boards are moving. <<< ATTN Indexers and Thread Hosts: UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Trace, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    If it's like the move to snoboards back in 2000, then it should be fairly painless. IIRC, the boards were only down for a few hours. But I could be remembering wrong.

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    For those who will be having to go on a fic hunt to find their stories...

Link Machine

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Thanks, Daena! That'll be very handy. :D

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't worry so much about losing my fics, but will PMs be lost in the move?

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I've managed to actually post everything on fan fiction.net. One thing I hope we get on the 'new boards' is a hit count, this way when we don't see replies we can at least know that our fics are still 'breathing' when we feel like talentless hacks. :_|

6. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I really only worry about losing already posted and finished fanfics. This is REAL, right? It started as a joke, but its actually real, right?

I'm not sure if I should rush and finish my not yet finished story....

How do I back up the stories then? I remember how I panicked in 2005.

One nice thing about VBulletin is the subscribing to threads is different and can last a long time (more than 365 days if you want). Replies can be sent to your email instantly, daily, or weekly or just in a list.

And I think you'll have a view count, Breezy.

7. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Okay, I think this was answered before, but... Liz, if you don't have them saved to your computer, then save 'em, no matter how long they are. Farther up the thread, there's mention of a data transfer thing that Astaran or someone is helping to plan and facilitate, but it's data and data can get lost through the e-cracks.

(And I was wondering about the PM's, too...)

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I never delete any of my fics, so they're all safely stored on my computer, the good and the bad. And I have copies of my better stuff on ff.net if anything happens to my harddrive. :p

I'm just hoping that my major WIPs all get transferred correctly... the one-shots and vignettes I can deal with if they didn't get transferred, but I would hate to have to re-post the 60 chapters of This Time Around. It would be a re-posting nightmare 'cause it would take forever. [face_laugh] Darn you, extra-long fics! *shakes fist* :p

I should really set about backing up important PM conversations and whatnot, though...

9. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    "but... but... can't we just throw it all into garbage bags and sort it out later?"
    - My Brother-in-Law... right before my sister hit him with a couch pillow.

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Several people have asked about that in Comms and the answer so far is: we don't know yet.

I guess the best thing to do if you have any PMs you want to save or need to answer or whatever, is to copy/save them somewhere else...just in case.

11. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008

Thanks Daena!!!

(so I'm guessing it's a no on the "more butter flavor", but a hit count sounds cool...)

12. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    No more butter flavor?????? [face_worried]

13. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Just a quick note to you guys, I'm working on a tool that will be able to back up entire threads in one go (or entire forums, if you want to do such a thing) which should make your life easier should you want to back up your stories + replies. It can also save PMs.

Stay tuned... :)

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    That is excellent news. :D Thanks, DarthXan!

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    For some reason, that hasn't updated since November of 2008 for my fics. I've posted things since then. Does anyone know what's up with that?

16. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I think lazy stopped maintaining it.... :(

17. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Well, he did try to warn us with that name.

18. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    He also kind of hasn't been to the boards since around that time...

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    If someone know how he did it or can get me the code and stuff, then I'd happily maintain it and maybe look into getting it automated so it can maintain itself.

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, if anything, when he was here, he was anything but lazy. He was always coming up with one thing or another to make things easier. That link machine is a great tool, but not the only tool he made.

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I couldn't have gotten all the way through the Qui-Gon Index without using the Link Machine to find all those old Qui-Gons on the earlier pages. I really hope the addresses of everything does not change when they move everything, or everyone's links will be messed up.

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    It's a possibility; we don't know for sure.

23. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Thanks DarthXan! I hope that tool will be helpful for fanfic writers.

Yeah, I COULD copy and paste my stories to word or text files, but that could take a LOOONG time......

Does anyone remember that coding that someone did a few years ago that allowed someone to read stories w/o having to wade through replies? I wish that guy was still around, that coding he did actually would be helpful for copying the stories w/o the replies.

24. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    How long do you think the move will last?

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The moving process? We're not sure. We're hoping for a few days to a week. But there will be some measure in place to let you guys know what's going on. We're tossing around ideas for a temp board - not sure how many regular activities there'll be, but we can all stay in contact with everyone else, and stay updated on what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.