main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book Game!!!!! Come in, take a look and play along! - NEW: page 75, write 10 sentences

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Ceillean, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    The closest book was a catalog:

So beautiful, you'll almost forget how useful they are! Richly decorated, ceramic canisters are embellished with hand-painted 3-D grape clusters. Locking metal latches and air-tight neoprene gaskets keep contents fresh. Glazed ceramic. Hand wash.

~ 4-Piece "Vine" Canister Set from Seventh Avenue catalog

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Didn't forget about this! ;) I've been busy working full time. [face_plain] The most annoying part is having less free time than ususal. Ugh.
    Anyway, time for a change of pages and sentences and you know the drill. :p

1. Grab the nearest book. (or magazine or any other article)
    2. Open the book to page 75. (page will vary now and then)
    3. Find the fifth sentence. (sentence number will vary now and then)
    4. Post the text of the next ten sentences.
    5. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.
    6. And please mind the TOS. 'Cuz if you're like me and have romance novels flying around everywhere -- yeah, depending on the scenes, those won't work.

I'll go first:

"Smith told the guy that he had no wish to die, and produced the head. And how much, the visitor asked, did you expect to obtain, through the sale of this object? Smith named a figure far lower than the price he'd intended to set. The ninja produced a credit chip and keyed Smith that amount out of a numbered Swiss account. And who, the man asked, brought you this piece? Smith told him. Smith learned of Jimmy's death. "So, that was where I came in," The Finn continue. "Smith knew I dealt a lot with the memory lane crowd, and that's where you go for a quiet go-to that'll never be traced. I hired a cowboy."

~ Neuromancer by William Gibson

3. Nadia-Oomia

Nadia-Oomia Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2009
    This was good idea! I like it

"Algy! Can you recollect what our fathers Christian name was?"
    "My dear boy, we were never even on speaking terms. He died before I was a year old."
    "His name would appear in the Army Lists of the period, I suppose, Aunt Augusta?"
    "The General was essentially a man of peace, except in his domesti life. But I have no doubt his name would appear in any military directory."
    "The Army Lists of the last forty years are here. These delightful records should have been my constant study. M. Generals.... Mallam, Maxbohm, Magely, what ghastly names they have-- Markby, Migsby, Mobbs, Moncrieff!

The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    "I've sometimes asked men of learning whether they found reading as boring as I did. The honest ones admitted that the book used to drop from their hands, but said that you had to have it in your library, like an ancient monument, or like those rusty medals that have no commercial value."

"Your Excellency doesn't think the same about Virgil?" said Candide.

"I agree that the second, forth, and fifth books of the Aeneid are excellent," said Pococurante. "But as for his pious Aeneas, and valiant Cloanthus, and faithful Achates, and little Ascanius, not to mention half-witted King Latinus, and parochial Amata, and insipid Lavinia, I can think of nothing more disagreeable or more likely to lave one absolutely cold. I prefer Tasso and those improbably tales of Aristo."

"Dare I ask, sir," said Candide, "whether Horace does not afford you considerable pleasure?"

"There are one or two maxims," said Pococurante, "which a man of the world may profit by, and which fix themselves more readily in the memory for being compressed in powerful verse. But I care very little for his journey to Brindisi, or the description of that poor dinner he had, or that foul-mouthed quarrel between someone or other called Puplius, whole language, he says, 'was full of pus', and someone else whose language 'was like vinegar'. It was only with extreme distaste that I read his crude verses against old women and witches, and I cannot see what merit there can be in telling his friend Maecenas that if he were to place him among the ranks of the lyric poets, he would bang his sublime forehead on the stars in the heavens."

~ Candide - Voltaire

The things I post for you guys. :p

5. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I hope you enjoy.

The brain and Nervous system are also subject to various disorders. The brain is the most complex organ of the body and is--directly or indirectly--involved in all bodily functions. If something goes wrong with the brain's functioning, for example as a result of epilepsy, injury to its tissues, a brain tumor, a stroke, or encephalitis (inflammation of the brain), the results can be far-reaching and sometimes unpredictable.
    Diseases can also attack the nerve pathways. One of the best known, and most serious examples is multiple sclerosis. In this disorder, the cause of which is unknown, the protective cells around the nerves of the brain and spinal cord are damaged, causing a variety of symptoms that may become progressively more severe and can eventually lead to disability.

~~Neurological conditions. The Human Body. Thw World Book Encyclopedia of Science.

You said the nearest book.

6. KithuraVess

KithuraVess Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2008
    Well, the closest book that's not a song book doesn't have a 75th page, or a 65th one, so I went with page 54. Since page 55 has just a big photo on it.

Sprinkle the gelatine over the water in a bowl. Place over a pan of gently simmering water and stir until dissolved. Cool and add to the yogurt mixture. Leave on one side. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. When the yogurt mixture is beginning to set, fold in the egg whites. Pour into a shallow tray and freeze. To serve, remove the remaining peel and pith from the oranges and slice them. Divide the sorbet (sherbet) between two sundae dishes and top with the orange slices.
    Reserve a few raspberries for decoration.

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Hmmm...

James May has a pet ferret named Fiat. Jeremy Clarkson's first job was selling Rupert the Bear toys. Jeremy Clarkson was once forced to eat his own hair on Top Gear. Richard Hammond once presented the Crufts dog show. Richard Hammond hates celery

Top Gear Annual, 2009

8. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    On page 75 there's just a big picture. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.