main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Book of Boba Fett 1.01 - Chapter 1 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 28, 2021.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 12, 2022.
  1. 10

9.2%
  2. 9

16.6%
  3. 8

27.0%
  4. 7

22.1%
  5. 6

11.0%
  6. 5

8.0%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1

1.8%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It could be both.

RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Brilliant take by Joseph Scrimshaw. I love this kind of archetypal layering (like the Lasat prophecy in Rebels).

3. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    They can fly without helmet just fine.
    [​IMG]
    Fennec can handle herself just fine, as we were shown time and time again, not only in Mando and Bad Batch, but in this episode, too. Flying out of their encirclement would arguably make them split and break their formation, because otherwise Boba would just shoot them all from above, thus helping Fennec out regardless.
    I mean he was shooting an explosive rocket basically in his own face.
    And there was no reason for him to neglect it. Right after they finished talking and when they spotted the Imperials coming, he could have just equipped it immediately. If Boba had time to go into Din's ship and change outfits, I don't see any reason why Din could not equip his damn jetpack. Especially when an episode prior to that explicitly showed us, that he can summon his jetpack remotely. Like it's a button press away, literally on his wrist, he just didn't do it, because the plot had to happen; he had to be too late to save him, because he had to climb that hill on foot, while his jetpack was just sitting there. It was extremely contrived and dumb. Like everyone could see this coming miles away. "First take off your jetpack!" Lol, or what? What would have happened first: Din Djarin activating his jetpack and flying up to neutralize Fennec Shand, or Fennec Shand pulling the trigger with her finger already on it, and killing Grogu? I wonder.
    There are plenty of things you can rationalize, but it was just extremely contrived and uncreative, just because the plot point had to happen, regardless of how forced and stupid it was.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Just saw it I agree

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  5. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I love the idea that simply being a clone makes him breakdown faster. Helps make the flashback tank not seem contrived imo. Hypothetically speaking, he's had several years to heal from the sarlaac thanks to tusken medicine. I'm not even sure he got hurt all that much considering he was wearing beskar armor and wasn't inside the sarlaac very long.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It was what happened in the old EU

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I knew I had seen it before. I have already stated it's the worst looking creature in SW but they could have come up with an original awful design themselves.

On the Bacta Tank - I don't get why Boba just uses the mouth apparatus, Vader had a full mask and Luke had nose clips in their tanks. There seems to be no consideration of Boba sucking in litres of the stuff through his nose or the mouthpiece falling out when he's asleep.

Sorry, don't want to put another downer on the show but it's looking a little rushed in parts.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    StoneRiver likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Honestly my least favorite part was the monster fight as it is with every other show. I think these shows rely on them way to much

StoneRiver likes this.
  9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Really a great looking monster and I will never feel that SW uses too many. Just goes to show there are many aspects to SW that are entirely subjective.

But not all.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What aspects are objective?

11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Star Wars and alien monsters go hand in hand.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That TLJ is the best. :p

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree. The Little Jyn was great in the Rogue One prologue. Really solid acting.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Better than Little Luke. :p

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    One of my areas of study is trans-cultural narrative theory, and we know that there are storytelling structures that are shared independently of colonialism (in cultures whose literatures didn't have connection). For example, plots about individuals struggling against those in power, and also plots about people wanting to be together despite social norms.

This is slightly different than Jungian archetypal theory, but that's another objectivist approach that posits universal narrative structures trans-culturally.

Also, aesthetic theory and cognitive science support the idea that human brains are structured to perceive sensations such that artists can create predictable, intentional effects in art.

Aesthetic theory and cognitive science converge with language and social construction here. Objective and subjective are not entirely opposite from each other, so the notion that anything is totally subjective is inaccurate. Objective in this sense must be understood as culturally relative, which means that individuals internalize shared values and beliefs, and this internalization is objective in the sense that it is not chosen and creates the conditions for shared social responses. As Lacan says, the "object" is always already in the subject. This doesn't mean everyone in a given culture are exactly the same, since they will have their own unique shaping experiences, but that most will be structured to have predictable responses to deeply ingrained (unconscious), shared symbols and rhetorical approaches.

I would also add that history and experience have provided artists a long list of effective techniques that create predictable effects in audiences.

PymParticles and Immortiss like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    As a social scientist, and someone who was started along that path by reading Campbell at a (too) young age, I get this. But in that context, what do you posit are the objective elements of Star Wars? General story thrusts such as heroic individuals struggling to fulfill their purpose? Archetypes like the wise old sage? Or are there more specific elements that you think are objectively necessary for Star Wars to be Star Wars?

PymParticles and Immortiss like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea but it doesn’t happen every 30 minutes. I think every episode of the mandalorian had one for season two minus the last one.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Huh? Episodes 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 of the Mandalorian season two didn’t have alien monsters.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe I am just insane. That’s a possibility. Looked it up. Since I didn’t trust you your right. Still I think it’s boring to for more than one or two episodes a season. Take the movies. Attack of the clones had a what 10 minutes with monsters? TPM had a minute or two episode 3 had the lizard but that doesn’t really count.

A new hope had the trash thing, ESB had the worm hmm maybe that’s why I like TFA and the last Jedi. No monster of the week or film in this case.

Still my point is I hope for the next 3 episodes we don’t just get a monster of the week.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    TFA definitely had a monster, the rathtars.

21. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I’m guessing Rathtars and Thala-Sirens don’t count as monsters in your book?

TheYodaPagoda and RetropME like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep. Okay TLJ didn’t. Anyway that’s unrelated

a monster needs to imperil the protagonist. A sea creature your milking doesn’t. Anyway. My stance still holds on monsters

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Porgs were the monsters in that one

the things infested the Millennium Falcon

TheYodaPagoda and EHT like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think you guys are stretching the term monster :p

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Maybe the real monsters are the friends we made along the way.

Riv_Shiel, EHT, Bor Mullet and 5 others like this.