main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Book of Boba Fett 1.02 - Chapter 2 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 4, 2022.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 12, 2022.
  1. 10

25.5%
  2. 9

28.7%
  3. 8

22.9%
  4. 7

12.1%
  5. 6

5.7%
  6. 5

2.5%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1

1.3%
  1. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Yeah I definitely missed that then. I actually only got around to watching TCW after I saw Solo so didn't even know who the Pykes were at the time.

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Well, we can agree to disagree. You think it's not okay. I don't see the problem, since the usage of the word is not strictly offensive. Also, I don't think that offensive words should be banned.
    You should have copied all the interpretations of the word, from the same link you gave me:

Context always matters when you use words. If you decide to interpret a word as offensive, when the person that used the word did not use it in an offensive, that's on you, not on them.

Sure.

But that never happened. I called the camp that kidnapped, tortured, raped and murdered Shmi Skywalker "disgusting savages", not an entire indigenous culture. I was referring to a total of maybe 30-40 people that belonged to that camp, and they all sanctioned these actions, as clearly shown and implied in AOTC. I would also call the Klatooinians in The Mandalorian episode "The Sanctuary" disgusting savages easily. And I can think of multiple examples in the real world too.

The word savage is not exclusive to one interpretation, and is definitely not exclusive to one example where it was used in the past of US American history. In fact, it was used long before the US were even a country, and long before the English language even existed. As I said above, I do not support the ban of words, and I think that everyone should be able to use harsh language when appropriate. I did not offend any culture, any group of people, any tribe, so I don't agree with this finger pointing honestly.

Uhm, so much no. If one uses the word "savage" to describe entire civilizations or nations, then you are right. But once again, as I said above, the Americans don't have exclusivity in using this term and this word, whose existence predates the US by many centuries. Somehow people who grew up in the US think that specific words are used only by Americans and only in a specific contet, and I find that quite interesting, but also almost arrogant.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Jannick98 and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    There is some stuff in legends how they looked 25,000 years ago. So they probably look the same now. Although that was back when the planet had oceans

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  4. nothinglikethesun9

nothinglikethesun9 Jedi Master

May 29, 2009
    Yep--just my own opinion on the show.

5. nothinglikethesun9

nothinglikethesun9 Jedi Master

May 29, 2009
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Wish more people would think like they

7. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    You're the one who brought up 'cancelling' words, mate. No need to get so defensive.

If you don't want to talk about it anymore, you don't have to. Or you can always use the 'Ignore' function.

I specifically said before posting that definition:
    I'm not talking about the other meanings. I'm talking about referring to indigenous people as 'savages'.

8. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    Yeah of course I just hope the present timeline takes up a bit more air time in future episodes, so far it is really getting drip fed to us though the longer run time in the last episode helped.

VexedAtVohai and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I wonder how painful it is to have a lizard in your nose

10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    No, I am the one who used the term "disgusting savage" in a non offensive way and you pointed the finger at me. At least get your facts straight.
    Ok. And no one used it like this.

11. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Uhh, when?

I've been answering your questions, I never accused you of anything.

12. theorenwulf

Jul 12, 2015
    I'd like something like that too. I just sadly don't think it is particularly likely as it seems to me like the people at Lucasfilm want to capitalize more of OT nostalgia and not stir the hornets net that is the PT. While I think opinions on them have softened over the years, there still seem to be a lot of people that passionately hate them. I personally prefer them over the OT but I know I'm in a distinct minority with that. My only hope is that with so many Star Wars projects coming out in the next couple of years we'll also get some who take their Inspiration more from the PT than from the OT. I like Mandalorian and Book of Boba is growing on me but I'd really like some Star Wars that doesn't try to follow the visual and thematic references of the OT that closely and I think having shows that feel different is also important for the long term viability of the franchise. Not that Book of Boba and Mando feel identical, there are distinct differences, but they are still similar and heavily inspired by the general feel of the OT.

Also beyond those broader concern it'd just be lovely to get a story bot set in the Outer Rim for once.

13. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    and in your brain. Is it like driving an AT-AT, a little lizard steering you around?

14. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Technically he wasn't a dead character. The Pit of Carkoon, you're digested over a thousand years, so he really wasn't dead yet. :)

RetropME, VexedAtVohai and wobbits like this.
  15. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    That stormtrooper surely was, though.

The glimpses of Kamino and Geonosis are really giving me hope in that regard.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean I think we are well past that point

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Sorry - was responding to the orenwulf.

wobbits likes this.
  18. theorenwulf

Jul 12, 2015
    Maybe it is a process of small steps. With the excellent High Republic publishing initiative Lucasfilm is also showing that they aren't completely averse to touching the era and I have great hope for Acolyte as an upcoming project. But it is not only the era I'm talking about. With Filoni as one of the main creative forces behind most of the new tv shows it is not really surprising that story beats and characters from the PT are hardly ignored. But I'd also like something with a similar aesthetic and maybe touching on the more political side of Star Wars again. Not that the PT was even that political but for many fans it already seems to have been too much.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They have already shown that by featuring prequel flashbacks.

20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I get it. I've just been used to thinking he's been dead since ROTJ. Or at least more digested than that :p

DarthKreVass likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am sure he would have died within hours. Or at the very most days. But that’s correct. No matter how you spin it he was not dead in ROTJ.

DarthKreVass and RetropME like this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah…. Lucas did use some Western tropes as an ingredient in his stew, but Disney has made it the main ingredient, and the dish loses a bit of what made it so appalling in the first place.

Oh well. It’s “safe as milk,” and gives immediate reward, and it’s still kind of nice, isn’t it. And I don’t see it changing any time soon—we’ll get more Western tropes in Kenobi. To be realistic, I think we’re going to have to accept Western trope control for the time being.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, I agree with all of this. I don't expect my precise tastes to be catered to and I realize that for loads of fans Boba and Mando is everything Star Wars should be. So I'll just chime in with my take every now and then, and maybe hope there's eventually room for something that really speaks to me. I loved Visions, so I do think Disney can produce live action Star Wars I can fully embrace.

Count Yubnub and VexedAtVohai like this.
  24. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The old Boba Fett we thought we knew died there. The flashbacks show his rebirth (emerging from the Sarlacc), removal of his old identity (Jawas taking his armor and being held captive by the Tuskens) and the development of his new self identity as Tusken. He regains his armor, but the repainting of it shows that he is a new man who is no longer interested in money. Further, he keeps his Tusken robes on under his armor so that while he still maintains his identity as a Mandalorian, underneath it all, he is now a Tusken and an entirely different person than who we saw fall into the Sarlacc.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm expecting more of a Samurai show than a western show from Kenobi.

TheYodaPagoda and Bor Mullet like this.