main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Book of Boba Fett 1.02 - Chapter 2 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 4, 2022.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 12, 2022.
  1. 10

25.5%
  2. 9

28.7%
  3. 8

22.9%
  4. 7

12.1%
  5. 6

5.7%
  6. 5

2.5%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1

1.3%
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No one’s ever really digested.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Those share many of the same tropes, but good point.

3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, certainly.
    I love both the western and samurai tropes in SW, but I too wish for more variety. The good thing is, though, that there are many shows coming soon, and I'd be very surprised if they all shared those tropes.

Hello, new phone wallpaper.

5. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    Tell that to the Stormtrooper!

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Tell that to Kanjiklub.

7. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    The tropes don't bother me too much but sometimes it feels like they are too on the nose. There's no need to "pay homage" every 5 seconds.

8. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    LOL!!! Somehow, he wasn't digested. We could do this all day :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You’re forgetting about Andor, which is characterized as a galactic spy thriller. Based on the concept art and set leaks we’ve seen (and on Rogue One itself) I think the Andor show will involve a good number of urban planet environments and politics, and I imagine very few “Westernisms.”

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Still a great meme

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke! I am your dinner!

DarthKreVass likes this.
  12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    These character posters are sick.

This show is orange.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  13. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Like clockwork - Left for dead on the sands of Tatooine.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  14. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I would say it's more of literally relearning what exactly made Star Wars so great in the first place, rather than capitalizing on nostalgia. It is evident that their approach to ST just simply didn't work in the long run. All that goodwill created by TFA was squandered once TLJ ended up showing there was no overarching story plan from the story, and it became evident the ST was more interested in replicating scenes from the past rather than making something that feels like George Lucas would have made back in the 70s/80s with the creator's own spin on the matter.

The PT era would involve political thrillers and those require a more complex script and the best writers to make it work. I'll make this prediction. The Book of Boba Fett is a testing ground for Star Wars political thrillers since it involves Boba Fett actually trying to rule Tatooine in game of carrot and stick rather than just Mando going around galaxy doing bounty hunting and protecting the baby.

15. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015

16. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I think it's more of capitalizing on Lucas's nostalgia and putting their own spin on the genres he grew up with. They didn't take direct inspirations from Lucas's own work, they went to the place where got his inspirations. These methods are timeless, malleable and applicable. One can trace the success of Tolkien's Middle-Earth to the old legends and myths in Europe, from Beowulf to the Norse Myths. And the Elder Scrolls series clearly took some inspirations from The Lord of the Rings, but they also focus on the very myth sources that Tolkien looked at rather than copying everything from Tolkien.

You can even do it with classics like A Fistful of Dollars which took direct inspiration from the film Yojimbo, which in turn was based on a novel Red Harvest. It's not something to be seen as a cynical cash grab. It's just how stories are passed down from generation to generation, each with its own unique spin. ST's problem was simply that it took inspirations from ANH... and tried to make into a sequel to ANH, which is honestly how Hollywood would try to make fast, lackluster sequels for DTV. No time to think of new scenarios, just repeat the same plot and no one will notice. There's a reason why Ghostbusters Afterlife's greatest scenes are the ones that explore the world and characters in new perspectives and directions (especially in the emotional category regarding the family's relations to the old Ghostbusters) while the weakest scenes are ones that veer too closely to the original film that feels like it was copying-and-pasting scenes from that movie.

17. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    There are so many story ideas they could run with, but since we're dealing with a Western (or Eastern) in the GFFA, I'd say they're going to keep things simple. Favreau and Filoni have an overarching plan in mind, I'm sure of it. They know where all these threads will lead to, and it will be awesome to bear witness to the greatness.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think you accidentally attributed something you said to me.

19. theorenwulf

Jul 12, 2015
    Yeah I know, sorry about that. The quote somehow got messed up, not sure how that happened.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Somehow I’m also listed in that quote tower, even though I didn’t write any of that. No biggie, but something definitely got screwed up. Oh well.

21. theorenwulf

Jul 12, 2015
    Yeah I tried to trim the quote tower down a bit to avoid 20 people getting notifications about it but it didn't work as intended.
    Like I said I don't mean nostalgia in a sense of its just evil Disney cash grabbing and pandering to fans. It is a very deliberate and legitimate creative choice paying homage to some of Lucas key influences for the OT and I also think that we will get a wonderful story out of it. I just think that Star Wars can be more than those Western/Samurai references as key inspirations wouldn't have been my first choice and with the number of projects I do hope and also think that we will get something different.

DarthRamRod likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You can always quote just the comment you want to reply to by highlighting the text and hitting the “reply” button that pops up.

theorenwulf and GunganSlayer like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You know, this is the first time I’m learning this. My idiocy can be epic at times.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree.

EHT, TCF-1138 , Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  25. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Oh $(*#)@! I also did not know this lol

Game changer.