main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Book of Boba Fett 1.04 - Chapter 4 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 18, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jan 26, 2022.
  1. 10

5.8%
  2. 9

27.3%
  3. 8

29.2%
  4. 7

20.1%
  5. 6

7.1%
  6. 5

7.8%
  7. 4

0.6%
  8. 3

1.9%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Was that a fairly accurate display of what typically happened in a mod parlor?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Honestly? Because all the worldbuilding, players introduction and setup of the status quo on Tatooine 5 years after ROTJ is 100 times more interesting than pew pew fights and war.

This was perhaps my favorite episode so far, but the enthusiasm might be speaking right now. All I can say is that this episode was TIGHT and it proves that the show is indeed as some people have already said many times before, a slow burn, and it's a great slow burn at that.

• Fennec Sand in her most badass appearance so far in the Star Wars universe.
    • Boba Fett ruthless as some have wanted to, eradicating these Nikto bikers.
    • PERFECT homage to General Grievous with the kitchen droid
    • Mooooar cyberpunk scenes with cyborgs and techno music, I would watch an entire show with that kind of stuff.
    • Krssssantan is back and in quite the fashion
    • Jennifer Beals oh my.
    Hard disagree. The fight in the previous episode was sheer terror. It made this episode's fight scene with the Wookie look pale in comparison. A cliche bar fight scene basically, which we have seen hundreds of time.

The one thing I seriously do not understand one bit, is how different opinions can be about the 3rd and the 4th episode. Seriously though, to everyone biased against Rodriguez, the last two episodes have been so similar in cinematography, direction and plot, that it doesn't justify so much hate for "The Streets Of Mos Espa". "The Gathering Storm" just picked up from where the previous left, and went home with it.

3. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    The first four episodes of Boba Fett have really been the Tatooine show. I'm loving it. Not sure why they decided to meld the Boba Fett show with what could have been the Tatooine show, but I'll take it. We're getting to see a whole lot of things I never thought we'd ever get to see, and this episode continues to give us more.

As much as I'm loving it, I do recognize that they really need to blow people's mind with these last few episodes after this long, arduous (yet entertaining) set up.

4. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Boba apparently spent the last several years trying to kill all the Kintan Striders but was stopped he approached Jabba's palace because there were too many guards. This tells me that these particular speeder bikers operate at Jabba's Palace and thus logically would be under Bib's payroll. Combine with how utterly merciless Boba was on the speeder gang with his ship, plus how quickly he just killed Bib Fortuna... yeah, that only makes sense if Boba blamed Bib for the massacre of the Tuskens.

Hypatia, 2Cleva, Count Yubnub and 7 others like this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I like the casual "sings like a yuzzum" reference to Splinter.

One gripe. This is mostly from understanding scale. Should a Sarlacc be able to hold on to a spacecraft that is capable of leaving a world's gravity? And I think as powerful as the guns are they would have been enough to blast through the sand and kill it. But, I understand. They wanted a tense moment and it did give us a really cool seismic charge moment. Although, once used, there would be nothing left to go an look for.

All the effects of Slave 1 were awesome.

Beals' "It was worth a shot" scene is worth watching the episode all by itself.

Hypatia, B3, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lots of explodey in Boba Fett episode 4

both seismic charges down the Sarlacc which was awesome and blowing the heck out of the bikers.

Anyway timeline wise I guess Boba Fett was with the Tuskens for years of he found Fennic in this episode. Anyway proper character motivation for taking over from Bib Fortuna.

Also Black Krrsantan gets a nickname Santos and rips off an arm so bonus points.

Hypatia, Sarge, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  7. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I love how The Mandalorian teased a Boba appearance and got people excited, and now the inverse is happening.

8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I agree with almost everything. It doesn't seem like Boba spent several years alone trying to kill all the Niktos. It mostly seemed as if he had spent years with the Tuskens, and some time, much less than that, planning an attack on the Niktos.

Hypatia, Sarge, Count Yubnub and 5 others like this.
  9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Boba says Bib double crossed him, so I guess he was behind the Kinton gang. But I wonder why this connection isn't made more clear. Fennec suggests the Kinton Striders wouldn't have been able to take out the Tuskens.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Also I think this episode has cleared up a few things…
    The Pykes control most of Tatooine now that Jabba is gone. Bib was just one of many petty crime lords who took power in Mos Espa after Jabba died. While he’s nominally the “head” of the crime families in Tatooine given his place as Jabba’s heir he didn’t have the power to enforce that. And none of the other crime lords had the power to take him out. They all rely on the Pykes to deliver them spice to their territories.

So when Boba takes out Bib he became the de facto head of the crime families but again he doesn’t have the muscle to enforce that claim. He’s had enough trouble getting the muscle to control his own territory and avoid being assassinated. Also the mod gang is just that. It’s a gang. They aren’t street urchins with suped up speeders. So Boba hiring them makes perfect sense. They’re obviously a much smaller gang then the crime families of Mos Espa but they provide him with some muscle to control his territory.

Hypatia, Krueger, Grey Matter and 8 others like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Now that I think about it, I suppose the level of power can be controlled and a minimum setting would be could be default since you are carrying around gigatons of explosive power.

TadoFett likes this.
  12. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    My second favorite episode so far. It started off shaky but kept getting better as it went along -- now we're teed up for a big finish. As a fan of '90s adventure shows, I'm probably enjoying the show more than most. Then again, I was never a Boba fanboy to begin with so maybe my expectations were lower.

-- Another swing-and-miss on modern pop culture flourishes. This time it was electronica/house music at the mod station, which made me laugh. I didn't expect a guest appearance from The Matrix soundtrack!

-- The Fennec/Boba adventure was like a Mando episode in that it worked as a standalone story too. The fireside chat was Favreau's way of addressing the "Boba's gone soft" crowd. Agree or not, it's a deliberate choice he's making. Of course, we also saw Boba take out the biker gang in cold-blooded fashion.

-- The Ratcatcher droid was hilarious and a new fave for me. Would be a good fit for the Droid Story movie they're making.

-- Black Krrsantan is GOLD every time he appears. Yeah, this guy is sticking around the franchise for a long time. What if he and Chewie had a WOOKIEE SPINOFF SERIES? Obviously need a Basic-speaker to avoid another Holiday Special, but I'm willing to entertain the idea.

-- I still think Garsa Fwip is more involved than we're led to believe, but I could be wrong. Like BK, I wouldn't surprised to see her pop up in future Favreau/Filoni series. Jennifer Beals seems pretty comfy in the SW universe.

-- That "five families" meeting was another example of what I thought this show would be. Boba's about soft power now, not just hard steel. So does the next episode of BOBF take place right after the events of Mando Season 2? That would be fun.

Hypatia, whostheBossk, Sarge and 9 others like this.
  13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hum. Dada hum.
    Da hum hum hum...

*Goes high pitched*
    Da da da da. Da da da da...

Jediking97, LedReader, B3 and 7 others like this.
  14. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Loved the episode. Absolutely loved it.

• I've been needing more Fennec and we got plenty of her this episode. I still worry she may betray Fett, but deep down hope they remain partners.
    • I was hoping they'd show Fett being smart about Krrsantan and sure enough, as @Shadao said, he knew how to approach the situation with recruiting BK.
    • Slight nitpick. I don't believe I have a solid handle on the timeline of the flashbacks. Are we to assume Fett was with the Tuskens for at least 3 years? At what point did the train heist occur in the 5 years? Or was the tribe within the first year and he's just been roaming the Dune sea for 4 years before encountering Fennec?
    • At the end, are they hinting at hiring Din Djarin?
    • I never get tired of seeing Boba be sweet to his animal companions. It almost seems out of character now that Boba hits his creature with his gun in the Holiday Special lol.
    • While the present took a backseat again to the flashback, saving Fennec and taking back Slave 1 felt like a present day storyline since it essentially leads us directly to the beginning of the show.
    • Considering that Obi-Wan, Jango and the Seismic Charges were the only things I enjoyed in AOTC, you can imagine how gitty I get whenever a charge gets dispersed.
    • I was hoping that there'd be throwaway dialogue or line of Boba admitting he's becoming a crime boss with no plan or nuance in understanding what it's like to actually be one. I guess at this point the show just expects to think Boba was a little in over his head in the first and third episode, at which I would say that scene of the droid laying out how the families are divided last episode really should've moved to the first episode because it made Boba and Fennec look incompetent.
    • Kind of wild that Robert Rodriguez showed us Boba finally being a badass in The Mandalorian, but in the 2 episodes he directed, Fett looked more soft than in episodes 2 and 4 where we got to see him crack some skulls. I actually hope that Rodriguez isn't directing any more episodes this season. I like RR a lot but he just seemed off his game in episode 3, and the premiere just lacked that 'oomph' even though I liked it.

I'm essentially going to lean on 9 or 9.5 out of 10. Great comeback episode.

15. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I see a lot of online chatter and people complaining the show is too slow and there is too much flashback..
    But in my opinion it's good to see what happened after he escaped the Sarlacc pit and how he got from there to here.
    I especially like Alex's explanation to all the connections that many people seems to be lacking the understanding the importance of all those elements, hence the complaints..
    Why the Rancor is So Important to The Book of Boba Fett - YouTube

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the circumstances of the fight in The Streets of Mos Espa were more interesting, but the execution of this one was better.
    I didn't know Rodriguez directed last week's episode while watching it (well, OK, I could tell, but I didn't know it for sure). I could immediately tell this was by a different director. I don't find this episode and the last one that similar in terms of direction and cinematography, and it has nothing to do with bias. If you don't see much difference then that's fine, but I can clearly see it.
    The ones in Splinter were Yuzzems. Yuzzum is the one singing in Jabba's palace in ROTJ: Special Edition.
    Well, technically, gravity is a relatively weak force. :-B

17. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The Holiday Special was an in-universe cartoon. Obviously you aren't going to make your villain be nice to animals in a kid's show.

Shadao and Blame_It_On_Lucas like this.
  18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I agree. The slow burn is necessary as Boba would come off looking like one of the idiots with a gun, the kind he said that he didn’t want to be, if we didn’t know his backstory and how it ties into the present.

I get a feeling some of the Boba fanboys will feel this is a betrayal, him not wanting to be what he has been made out to be for decades, but people grow and change - this is the logical outcome of that.

19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    You say "swing and miss", I say "bull's eye". That scene with the modders was one of my favorite in the entire season. In fact, when people who defend "bold" choice in other Star Wars material blame "fanboys" for not wanting new stuff in Star Wars, this is what I want to respond to them. We totally want new stuff. New stuff like this, which was visually a perfection, and gave us another look in the lives of certain people of Star Wars. This franchise has needed more worldbuilding on cyborgs since decades ago, and I am glad it's getting some. Not everyone can afford the Imperial droids building an armormech black suit like Darth Vader's, some have to resort to the equivalent of punksters/hipsters in the outskirts of a city on Tatooine.
    All of those episodes have been written, directed and produced since months ago, this was not a response to anything :p It's just that people are always impatient and very eager to criticize everything and anything, before seeing why and how Boba Fett is X and Y. Well, it made perfect sense the way they have presented him if you ask me. And the line "I have not become soft, I have become strong after the Sarlacc" (to paraphrase) was maybe the best line in the episode.

20. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Lol yeah, and also I don't think the cartoon is necessarily canon either. Just amused me.

21. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    I have to say when it cut to to that mod scene I cringed and feared the worst. The guy outside with the goggles. The mod guy inside doing the work. That techno music. What on earth were they thinking? It was like something out of a bad 90s cyberpunk movie.

Thankfully the rest of the episode was good.

22. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I meant that Favreau anticipated people's complaints. Not that he literally made the entire episode in a week, LOL.

As for the modern flourishes, most of them don't work for me because this is still too close to the OT era. It would be fine for a SW series set after the ST.

Fin McCool and RetropME like this.
  23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Perhaps the ONLY change in the special editions that I cannot stand. That voice hurts my soul.
    Oh man, a thousand times no. It might be weak between two objects such as a pen and a bottle, but gravity between a planet and any object makes the minimum velocity needed to escape into space equal to 11 km/sec for the Earth, and similar gravity planets, which Tatooine appears to be. That argument is kinda solid. But at the same time we don't know the Sarlacc's mass and strength. It is a huge creature and I wouldn't be surprised if it can keep a spaceship from launching the way it was shown. It's not like spaceships accelerate from 0 to 11 km/sec instantly. It takes time.

I don't think he anticipated complaints. I think he is just making sure that his show is solid and consistent, and with continuity that makes sense. Not that it would be hard to predict Star Wars fanboys' complaints. But I don't think a serious filmmaker like Favreau cares for those. At least not to the point where he would shape the script based on the complaints of a vocal minority.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I loved the scene with the modders. That’s the kind of weird **** I love in my Star Wars.

Hypatia, BigAl6ft6, starfish and 12 others like this.
  25. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Well, it's quite telling how much the majordomo is telling to Fennec if his squealing is comparable to that annoying singer...

TheYodaPagoda, Sarge and DarthFixxxer like this.