main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Book of Boba Fett 1.06 - Chapter 6 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 1, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Feb 9, 2022.
  1. 10

47.1%
  2. 9

20.9%
  3. 8

13.6%
  4. 7

8.4%
  5. 6

3.7%
  6. 5

2.1%
  7. 4

2.1%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1.6%
  1. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Was this the first reference to Yoda's particular speech pattern? I don't think we need all the questions about Yoda's species answered in any of these shows or movies, other than general curiosity on most of our parts. I think Grogu is going to stay with Luke, and hopefully gain the ability to speak. He's able to communicate with Luke and Ahsoka through the Force, while Mando can only guess whether or not Grogu is hungry or wanting to commit murder by strangulation.

Fin McCool likes this.
  2. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I hope Grogu zaps Scumwalker with some Dark Side lightning for trying to make him choose.

3. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Rewatched the episode, I liked it even less. I’m giving it a 2/10.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is the thread for Chapter 6, not Chapter 3. :p

5. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    I want no more actors only deep fakes.

3sm1r likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It may be that Luke doesn't have the kind of expectations of maturity that you are talking about though- we see the question he is posing, but what does posing this question infer? Maybe the question is where the nuance lies.

Luke may be testing him to see if he is emotionally capable of going through the training without big risks (like what happened to his daddy). If Grogu does not want the life of a Jedi, it may not be good to push him into it. Remember that Din was tasked with finding a Jedi to train him, but we haven't heard about how Grogu feels about the situation really. He may be emotionally immature to some degree, but his feelings would still very much matter in the bigger picture.

In any case, the question Luke is posing could be more to assess Grogu than to lay a heavy life decision on him.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Apologies to any ST fans. This isn't a knock on you or your tastes. It just made me snicker.

[​IMG]

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yo. Some of us are drinking water. I almost choked laughing.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s exactly what I thought as Luke informed him of that sad reality. All the more reason for him to avoid any attachments that are too strong.

my kind of scum, RetropME and 3sm1r like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Since this argument over "attachment" has continued, I guess I'll weigh in.

Luke was right to present things to Grogu as he did. Attachment IS dangerous for someone training to be a Jedi, because they don't yet have the skills to build relationships without the risk of it becoming possessive. "No Attachment" doesn't mean "No Relationships". It means you have to learn to look past your own selfish desires, and do what's best for everyone, and not just for yourself or your loved ones. Until a Jedi has completed their training and fully accepted this, strong attachments can lead to disaster. This was Anakin's flaw. He kept trying to control everything, because of his fear of losing the ones he loved. He never learned to let go of that fear and accept that loss is a part of life.

What Luke did (and what the PT Jedi didn't do) was offer Grogu the choice. (Qui-Gon did offer Anakin the choice, but his life on Tatooine was horrible, so it was an obvious decision.)

Choose the mail and stop now, and return to Din, or choose the saber and continue his training, and accept that he may or may not see Din again. The question boils down to "Are you willing to live a selfless life of sacrifice for the greater good, or do you want to return to the life you had?". A Jedi can't have it both ways. They can have relationships, they just have to be prepared to let those relationships go, if duty requires it.

I hope Grogu chooses the saber. Otherwise it walks back the choice made at the end of S2, and makes that season largely pointless.

We'll see.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This.

And should becoming a Jedi really be modernized to essentially look like any other job? Working a day shift at the Temple and then coming home for dinner with the kids? I personally don’t want that. Let them be wandering warrior monks, with the extreme personal sacrifice that entails.

13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I also don't think that the series would spend 2 seasons leading up to Grogu finding Luke, just for Grogu to leave Luke after a week (or ya know, 1 actual Mando S3 episode) That's pretty undramatic.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    At least, I HOPE the writers wouldn't do that.

"Somehow...Grogu returned to Din."

:p

15. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    You know how kids are. Drop them off for a weekend, return later that night to take them home.

How long has Grogu been gone in narrative time? That's more relevant. Although only slightly so. Luke drew a line in the sand -- if he doesn't pick the saber, he gone!

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't know, the whole thing seems rather convoluted to me.
    It is not clear to me why the Force users would be any special in the matter of attachment than normal people. We know that the use of the Force is possible regardless, so I don't get why someone couldn't train while also living a close to normal social life. We saw that Rey managed to do it, and Luke did it as well.

There surely is affection between Grogu and Mando, but it didn't seem to me that their relationship showed risks of becoming morbid at the point of justifying the fact that they couldn't even spend time together for a couple of hours, or even that Grogu couldn't just take Mando's gift.

The fact that the Jedi rules don't feel natural and don't feel in line with Luke's character are one of the reasons why that scene rubbed me the wrong way. What Luke is saying doesn't feel natural, it doesn't feel reasonable, it just feels like he is being unnecessarily tough and even petty.

Maybe if there were other future students there, I'd feel better about the whole thing because I could at least imagine Grogu having fun with those kids, but that complete hermitage feels just wrong and also unnecessary.

DarthRamRod and Sarge like this.
  17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Even if he's been there for a month, that's pretty weak. You spend 2 seasons, and what, 12 episodes leading up to something just to go .. nahhhh. sike.

And it is important how long he's been gone episode wise too, not just narratively. The 'that missing feeling' has to be felt by the viewers who have been on the journey for 2 years. For us it's been ... 1.5 episodes at best.

Riv_Shiel and my kind of scum like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s at the heart of the drama. If becoming a Jedi is just like going to daycare, the dramatic weight of that choice deflates. As does the emotional weight of this story. And it should feel a little unnatural. Like a heightened, mythologized version of the more mundane decisions we make in life regarding attachment, dependence/ independence, and letting go. That’s what gives these stories mythic resonance.

Yeah, if I go abroad to live and work in the real world, I can still go back and see my parents from time to time without jeopardizing my growth and independence as a human being. But still, this much less dramatic “detachment” is necessary for my own well-being. In Star Wars, such choices are rendered starker as they are essentially instructive, mythic stories that provide guidance.

19. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I agree. I think it's so strange that Force users are depicted to be these ticking timebombs. It's one of my least favorite aspects of Star Wars. Falling to the darkside? Okay. Not being able to have romantic relationships or family? Annoying and limiting.

I don't disagree that the stronger narrative choice is to keep Grogu and Mando separated. But I'm not convinced that narrative logic is always what drives their decision making.

The Shadow Emperor, Sarge and 3sm1r like this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't know if I was supposed to find Luke unbearable in that context, but my feeling is that they were expecting me to consider him a voice of wisdom even in that scene.

21. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    And the further bonus of Jason Isaacs.

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I certainly saw Luke as a voice of wisdom in that scene. Grogu is too emotionally dependent on Din to grow, at this stage. He’s the equivalent of a mammone, basically, only his mamma is a Mando.

If Grogu wants to be a Jedi, he needs to detach from Din. In real life, that doesn’t have to be so potentially permanent. But this is a little green alien trying to become a space wizard. It’s high mimetic mythic stuff, not a documentary on child-rearing. And so the choice is starker.

23. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I hear what you are saying 100%. I've actually always struggled with the idea as presented.

"Love is the death of duty" and all that...

Taking the other side (to try and understand) Someone that swears an oath to uphold the right and put the galaxy before themselves hmmm. I'll draw on a real life example I know of. A man sworn to protect a town when a raging fire came through abandoned it and the townsfolk because another fire was engulfing HIS own house where his family were miles away. I think this speaks for itself. We would all do the same wouldn't we??

I would. And there it is. Your attachments at the cost of your duty.

3sm1r likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No Luke character poster this time either. :(

But this one is pretty awesome:

25. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I have to concur. I am actually impressed that the writers are staying true to what Lucas envisioned for the Jedi and not running off to make them part-time superheroes that live like everyday people. It would be easier to make them that -- they'd be more 'appealing' to modern Western audiences that love characters like Spider-Man etc.