main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Book of Boba Fett

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head for the distinction in my mind, it's the nature of the gravity on the ring that associates it in my mind with something like Halo.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Still only like two episodes left

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Another thing:
    the bubble over the droid port is absolutely for Grogu to sit in, right? Like, we're definitely going to get that.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Almost certainly yes

Ghost likes this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I dont think he will leave Luke's jedi school anytime soon if ever. But Din could take him on vacation trips.

JediBatman likes this.
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Anyone else get some star wars: bounty hunter vibes from this episode?
    Specifically the bounty in the opening reminded me of the nerf packing plant level, and I could have sworn a pair of guys he kills uses death sounds from those games.

Well, without a solid grasp of the timeline, it is hard to tell.

Then again, I doubt anyone was using a map of Tatooine to make sure all the locations had the right relative distance from each other.

Eh, whatever one thinks about what they have done, it is definitely isn't the sum total of all they could do.

In particular, it is pretty easy for me to imagine season 1 focusing on the battle for Tatooine, and future episodes feature Boba's organization growing to other worlds.

XD

That is a pretty great mental image.

Eh, no real difference to me, personally speaking.

Carson Teva did say back in Mando season 2 that the New Republic was streched thin in the rim. And based on TFA having the New Republic fleet out of action because of Hosnian Prime, I get the feeling the capital ships mostly stay in the core and some small starfighter patrols are all the NR can spare baring a major emergency. Specially the titular "rangers" of "rangers of the new republic" I'ld reckon

descriptive audio would be my guess. Lots of stuff in this show named there

Yeah, that would be nice. There have been some neat locations frustratingly unnamed.

Yeah, I also get the feeling Din will miss the opening of the fighting only to show up at a dramatic moment with some air support.

It always gets me that as often as Tatooine is visited throughout both legends and canon, pretty much everything on Tatooine takes place in a relatively small geographic area.

True.

Course, arguably season one of the Mando had like, 3 main story episodes in the beginning, side-quests in the middle, and had the conclusion, including introducing the real villain, in the last two episodes. So it is still possible.

Let's hope these are long episodes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    AusStig likes this.
  7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    This week on "Sonny thinks too much about Star Wars (which is for the children)"
    This show continues to be my favorite show currently airing, and the one I find myself engaging the most with after I've seen it.
    The episode manages to be centered around Djarin, but at the same time having a conversation with the themes that have gone on through the rest of the show. The Mando walks in, and has a wicked cool action scene. "Yes! This is what we wanted from this show!" It's thrilling and explosive and badass. But at the same time, it is kind of sad. Look at Din. All that development from the 2 seasons of the mando have essentially gone out the window. He's back to the big d walking, spouting off his catch phrases. Hanging out with the other Mandos, a cliche (exciting one, yes). And he himself is sad. Contrast with Boba, who has not been that almost the entire show. What is instead? Calm, cool, collected. Nothing to prove, no bounties to hunt. He knows himself and is at something approaching peace, even when he seems way over his head. Mando is conflicted. His found family suddenly has become way too constricting, where Boba's allowed him to be himself. To take off the mask, while the Children of the Watch insist on keeping the mask on. And then, Din's family rejects him, because he's growing past them. "This is the way" that cool phrase suddenly takes on a new meaning. It's a cult catchphrase. "The Greater Good." I've said that I think the show is telling exactly the story it wants to tell, and this I think further illustrates it. They are deliberately not doing Boba as the big action hero, going for something else. I have no idea where they are going, and that is thrilling to me.

Prequel and theme conversation
    I've seen some talk about how the first line in TFA, "This will begin to make things right." Was a direct refutation of the prequels (which considering how tros turned out, big woof). That feels like a very cynical statement. This episode seems to bring up that conversation again. When the N1 is reveled, Din is "What this is crap give me my old ship back" And Peli is very blunt. "Yes, it's a mess. Yes, it is a fixer upper. But isn't it cool?" Her talk about "Handmade parts" feels very, "This was done with love. It was done with a whole lot of imagination, and yes, it is filled with bugs and lizards and way too shiny, but work with me here!" It feels very last jedi, in "Hey, the past has some cool stuff, but also you can move past it and imagine bigger." It doesn't idolize the past, but it says theres value here, and you can use it as a framework, but go bigger. Go darker, throw some stank on it. I think TLJ does it better of course, but I'm interested in the conversation

Finally, I am so so happy, that I think every single one of these star wars episodes manages to make the directors felt. Jonny Favs has been the writer on all of them, but every episode you can see the directors fingerpints all over everything, which is so rare in tv shows, and so incredibly rare in these franchise shows where everything needs to tow the "company line." RR episodes are the clunkiest, but they feel like a RR clunky. When I see Bryce Dallas Howard, I know I'm gonna get a lot of warmth and comfort in the episode. When I see that Keven Tancharoen directed it, I'm going to get explosive action. Every episode feels like the director had a stake in it, and it was allowed to be a labor of love, without necessarily having to have brand synergy.

8. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    the station being evocative of halo isn't a bad thing imo and makes sense in the star wars universe.

9. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Not inherently, but it did take me out at first because it actually felt very un-Star Wars. As 2nd Quest pointed out, I think it's the fact they walk on the surface of the ring, and it's not a traditional space station ring. But it's fine, it'll grow on me.

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Seems likely that they were there visiting Tatooine for a bit, maybe a week or more; I would imagine restoring a whole starfighter takes longer than an afternoon.

Loved that kid. I know, I know, boo small universe syndrome, but I'd love it if that was Hype Fazon from the Resistance cartoon. Didn't he have an N-1 or Naboo logo on his person or fighter? Who do I have to Tweet at to make that retcon happen?

It's identified as Begger's Canyon in the 2005 Legends edition too, so it was likely also in 2000's Inside the Worlds of Episode I--it's been Begger's Canyon for almost as long as the movie it was first seen in. The show doesn't strike me as particularly compressing the distance between locations compared to previous stories. I think the two other settlements Maul was scoping out were Mos Entha and Mos Taike, but I don't remember if that's actually been confirmed.

Peli speaking Jawa is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile. And her "I dated a Jawa; I'm an expert" line is hilarious.

11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I get that...but stretched so thin that a couple of squadrons are cover in multiple sectors? And I am not saying to show Mon Cal cruisers and Starhawks every episode. But cruisers, frigates and corvettes capable of carrying starfighters showing up every now and then would be nice. As well there should be PSFs out there as well that would have capital ships. I would thing that Ring Station would have some sort of defense as it was a pretty populated place.

MercenaryAce and Xander Vos like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    With Tarre Viszla being now mentioned twice, once in animation and in live action. I wonder how long before we get a Tarre Viszla story in tv or movie format. He was alive during the last sith wars, he could have been the one to fight Darth Bane and defeated him. He is an athurian legend among the mandalorian people. All know his legend and story. Gorgu might be the next Mandalorian/jedi like Tarre Viszla was. Tarre Viszla might have gotten the Mandalorians out of continned wars and feuds with sith and jedi, and brought continned peace for generations.

JediBatman and MercenaryAce like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  14. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    A lot of you keep saying 2 more episodes. I didn't realize this is this only going to be 7 episodes. HOW? That doesn’t seem right, Disney.

I typed things out as I watched. Forgive my lack of remembering much of anything from one episode to the next, let alone one series to the next.

The beginning is bloody damn weird for a Star Wars beginning. but I love that as @BigAl6ft6 noted, this is like a Mando/BF crossover episode so I can accept the weird. It’s funny that the CCs call him “THE MANDALORIAN” and not Din Djarin.
    Man, that Darksaber is beautiful.

But yeah, Boba needs to now be in an episode of “Mandalorian”. Because this was the Mando half of the 2-hour crossover.

I am drooling at the cinematography of the space wheel. This is sci-fi visuals at their finest.
    And each scene change offers a different piece of unique music. I love it.

WAIT. Wait, wait, wait. *Looks up Tor Vizsla*
    But here and on the Wook everyone is saying Tarre. The CCs say Tor. So there is one person with the same name but spelled different ways? And there are two separate entries in the Wook. Why is Star Wars confusing?
    And my brain is slow enough that it took me until now to hear the name and make the connection to Legends. Yes I watched "Rebels."
    ALSO didn’t know until now because of my stupid brain that the Darksaber was originally Legends.
    “sadly, it only exists in legends.” — That made me LAUGH.

Counting in Mando’a. I am going to cry from how much I love this episode. But 20 minutes in and no Fett? The worst thing about this series is I’m invested in Not the Main Story each time.

OK so showing his face means he’s essentially exiled until he atones? I get that Mandos are a big adopting culture, but…..like….Mandos marry. They have kids. I guess it’s like Tuskens? My brain is baffled.

I didn’t realize womprats were so vicious. But it is good to see Peli back.
    As another person commented, I thought the N-1 was a podracer too at first! It does look tiny next to Peli given how they looked in TPM—at least slightly larger than a podracer. But it definitely seems like one later on when he’s driving through Beggar’s canyon and along probably the old podracing circuit.
    “Jawa new.” Oh that is funny. I really like that Peli works with them. And dated one. What the hell is this hilarious lunacy?!

“Where does this panel go?” Um, in the one place that is totally empty. Don’t need a droid for that. I get they wanted to show off the droid’s abilities but that was a bit dumb.

38 minutes in, 13 minutes left, and the Pykes are finally brought up.
    Jawas are very gutsy scavengers, and thieves!

Well why the hell is there a dragon rooster? That was unneeded.
    It’s also unneeded to go this long without Boba or even a mention of him.
    It’s very odd that the CCs say “speaking alien language” for the Rodians. Why not say “speaking Rodian?”

Din said “wizard.” that is freaking WEIRD. BUT he’s a bit younger than Anakin, right? So it’s like having older people say slang from their childhood. It just threw me off at first.

Seriously? Not until the last 30 seconds is Fett mentioned?! This....is a GOOD episode but quite unnecessary for the BOBF main story/plot IMO. Like a 9/10 overall but a 2/10 for the series. UNLESS we had a good little crossover ep going. Harumph.

Barriss_Coffee and Nom von Anor like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep for some reason it’s only 7. Although better to be short than have an episode that was pointless

16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    true. Though I feel like 1.05 was a bit pointless. Loved it for Star Wars but not this series.

Nom von Anor and Riv_Shiel like this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised- they've been pretty consistent with such things like galactic maps and such (with only the occasional "why did you go there from all the way over there?"-type moments). And ever since I was able to use the Tatooine map from the Tatooine Technical Journal to find Jabba's Palace in Star Wars Galaxies, I never underestimate how much they'll abide by such things :).

This is just me theorizing, but I don't think this was originally going to be its own show. I think we were originally going to get 1, maybe 2 episodes, about Daimyo Boba to set up the Pyke war. Then, after the favorable reaction to Fett's return in Mando, they expanded it out to be its own show. That would explain why actors like Ming Na thought they were just filming Mando S3 at first, and why Mando S3 was pushed back (besides Covid, etc).

Then they get the pilot script and its not working as well as they thought, so they rework things to be structured around the Bacta "animus" concept so that they can flesh things out with the Tuskens and the train to give the first few episodes more oomph.

But they come back to the original plan being a Mando arc, which needs its own single episode before the big finale crossover with Boba + Din. So, it comes to 7 episodes because it's really a standard 6 episodes + 1 Mando episode. The last 2 end up (presumably) being the finale (ala each season of Mando), leaving 4 up front to include the 1-2 Daimyo episodes that were originally planned plus the 2-3 "new" flashback episode content ("Squill", Train, Slave I).

Of course, this could very well end up being a Mando situation where the second reveals the first and second seasons to really be two halves of the same season. I which case, this episode functioning as an interlude makes more sense.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I liked this episode a lot. They should have just called this Season 3 of The Mandalorian the whole season. Boba is a Mandalorian, anyway. Aside from everything everyone else has said, I also feel like this show in general and this episode in particular has made Star Wars really feel more alive and real than it's ever been in terms of droids, aliens, creatures, and settings (though I can't believe no one else has pointed out how much the ringworld just looks like various Star Destroyer command sections - it wouldn't surprise me if it was made from decommissioned ISDs or something). The aliens and droids being rendered practical (or perhaps the CGI has advanced to a point where are indistinguishable practical) just does so much. The bat rooster and the little thing in Beggar's Canyon were also great touches. Beggar's Canyon! was a great touch too. It's funny that Djarin had to take a commercial flight. I was afraid he was going to open his trunk and the Darksaber was going to be missing.

You mention the captions a lot but didn't mention what to me is the most ridiculous part - whenever a character is speaking Basic, the captions say "(speaking English)." No, they're not speaking English, they're speaking Basic. Anyway, it's possible the Rodians are speaking Huttese and not Rodese, or some other random language.

Slang in Star Wars doesn't really seem to have trends like that. After Han used the term moof milker in TFA, people in OT-era stories started using it. Ram Jamoram uses the term Wizard in The High Republic Adventures: Galactic Bake-Off Spectacular, but the other Padawans don't know what it means and speculate it's something people say on Valo. So by TPM, the term is at least 200 years old.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm very proud.

[face_tee_hee]

The latter likely a womprat! (after all, it is Beggar's Canyon and one apparently can bullseye them there).

20. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    @The2ndQuest : [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] Oh that is HILARIOUS
    Ah. I want to reread a lot of Legends now.

That didn't even click for me--both things! Stupid person in charge of the CCs....[face_not_talking]

21. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Stretching the meaning of pointless.. huge chunks of what we've got so far have been pretty pointless, with this ep being essentially pointless for the Boba Fett story (you could have had an entire episode of Boba Fett with Shand dropping in on Din at the end of the ep to recruit him, and then shown this ep in The Mandalorian from his perspective).

SWpants likes this.
  22. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    More power to anyone remembering a detail like that from 2019 if so!

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Not gonna lie, when Din flew the N-1 into Beggar's Canyon I was hoping he'd "thread the Needle."

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Was waiting for that as well.

Dawud786 likes this.
  25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Beggar's Canyon made me feel like such an old man telling Legends of Tatooine to my kids. I literally turned to them and say "boys, Luke Skywalker used to bullseye wamp rats in Beggar's Canyon!"

Them: with what?

Me: his T-16 Skyhopper!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk