main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Book of Boba Fett

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Dec 21, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pykes could be coming back. It'll be interesting to see this show go off on it's own as a true spinoff for a season 2 instead of the Mandalorian Season 2.5 that it became at the end. I kinda view the show right now as Mandalorian Season 3 anyway. Boba's a Mando, he gets 4 episodes, Mando gets 2 episodes, finale is them teaming up.

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I would prefer to let Boba's victory over the Pykes stand and instead bring back the Hutt twins as the villains.

Also, probably an unpopular opinion, but I would like it if season 2 focused more on Fennec. Boba had his whole arc about forging a new identity, but we didn't learn that much about his right hand despite her importance to that arc and the larger plot.

Tieing those both together and a desire to see more worlds in this season, it would be interesting if we get to see the slave revolts on Nar Kanja that result in the creation of Kanjiklub (at least one Kanjiklub member has the last name Shand, so Fennec could be from there).

Watcherwithin likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Junior Novelization should be out now. Curious if it adds any details or insights, if anyone picked it up. I know these books don't usually add much in that regards, but sometimes things sneak in.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have it on order, actually. Will let ye know!

SWpants likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nothing additional so far, but it was more than a little amusing to see Hoojib used in a canon book.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh, so should I watch this before going into Mandalorian season 3?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Absolutely! I'm going through a Mando s2 rewatch (only skipped the frog episode) but intending to fully rewatch Book of Boba Fett. It's totally Mando s2.5, heck the recap at the start of s3 is going to have to include stuff that happened in it.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  8. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    If you have no interest in BOBF per se, you can just watch episodes 5-7 to get everything you need for Mando S3 (presumably). If you were planning to get around to watching the whole thing, yes - before Mando S3 would be a good idea.
    If you do opt to watch just episodes 5-7, please post what you think - I'm curious how the specifically Boba parts play if the setup is imagined instead of seen.

ETA: added a presumably, because we don't know what might happen in Mando S3 that could come from anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    iPodwithnomusic and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There's Tatooine again in the trailer, Mando flying off in the Naboo fighter, so I'm assuming he meets up with Boba again.

Like I said, Boba is a Mandalorian so I always think Book of Boba Fett just counts as Mandalorian S2.5/3 anyway

Buy yah if it's about time management investment its really only episodes 5-7 that are required

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  10. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, I do want to watch it eventually...just wondered if it's required viewing before Mandalorian S3.

11. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The episodes I mentioned DEFINITELY* are, just don't know how you feel about seeing the end first. We're Star Wars fans though, we should be used to it.

*I know I emphasized definitely, and I mean it, but of course we don't know how Mando will go about bringing people up to speed, so it might depend on how you define "required." I will say that there is MAJOR Mando plot that occurs in BOBF.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just plough through it. It's on D+, you're not paying for it as an individual item.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Also the Episode 7 "Boba FETT!" theme is the best

Jango_Fettish likes this.
  14. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    Having rewatched this series, I find myself more and more liking Black Krrsantan as a madclaw on screen, the wookie is like a speeder with its breaks cut

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    working my way through rewatching it. Everyone kinda dumps on the first four episodes as being Bacta Tank Flashback Heavy but I get a kick out of seeing Boba's years running as a Tusken guy. Those first two Tusken-centric episodes are great. And yes episode 3 has the mods and that dopey speeder chase but it's intentionally dopey, and also I would buy that mods would exist on Tatooine as the place can be kinda sketchy. Also episode 4 has Boba picking up a bunny rabbit droid and saying "I am Boba Fett" (he says that alot in those first four episodes) and the bunny rabbit droid cries and shuts itself off. that's gold. Also Boba taking out the Nikto speeder bike gang in, like, 30 seconds is super satisfying.

I do find Boba's motivation for taking over Jabba's crime family to make sense, as I do like how curt he is when explaining it. Boba is sick of his life being put on the line by idiots so he's going to take care of it himself. I think getting tossed into the sarlacc basically because he was looking out for his last boss wants to make him independent.

5 years, though! What was Boba doing the whole time, hanging with Tuskens and training them to ride like a Bantha, wandering the desert bummed out or was he tripping out on nose lizards, that would be sweet.

By episode 5 it becomes Mandalorian Season 3 proper, and does this episode confirm that the Boonta Eve Speeder Race took place in Beggars Canyon because Mando flies his new N1 through "Beggars Canyon" and it's the same place. Anyway, episode 5 has lots of stuff about Mando's True Way guys which is pretty compelling, and I love seeing Mando trying to work the darksaber. It's weird that Boba misses out on his own show and it becomes Mandalorian but I ain't complaining, Boba and Din are both Mandalorians, it's fine.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  16. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Yeah, I am also finishing up a rewatch. No real change in my opinion as I was one of those who generally liked it the first time around. I think episodes 2, 5 and 6 are amongst the best episodes of any Star Wars live action show we've gotten (Andor overall is my favourite but I have a tough time seperating out episodes the same way). Then episodes 1, 4 and 7 are also pretty darn good for me as well. Even episode 3 I would really only rate as okay and not terrible or anything (yes, I thought the Sand People should have stuck around but can understand how they fit in Boba's story). The actual depiction of how Boba reacts to the Tuskens' deaths is very effective and I liked the Krssantan fight in that one.

So, like a lot of Star Wars for me, the good easily outweighed the bad in this one. Now, would I like to see a Boba on a mission being old school badass for next season? Well, sure. Also would have preferred a more intricate crime story plot a la Andor's approach to a suspense/spy thriller if given a choice. But taken for what was presented, I had fun with the show and had more than a few genuinely unexpected thrills. I think large parts of the show were actually done quite well.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Morrison is great in the show, if only because he's so terse but I love the subtleties in his various terse statements. Also "I'm the crimelord, he's supposed to pay me" is probably in my top 3 Boba Fett lines ever

Barriss_Coffee and AusStig like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Rewatched episode 7, I love the spectacle in it, probably bigger than anything in Mandalorian. Boba is tearing apart giant robots riding a rancor that's so badass. Little over 24 hours till new Mandalorian, and the recap posted did have Book of Boba Fett in it

19. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    People really got hung up on this being marketed as a different show. Would anyone have minded if we got Mando S3 early and the first 7 episodes were Book of Boba Fett.

Cause that’s what this show is, an arc about Boba Fett. In a few weeks all the arguments about Grogu and Mando reuniting in a spin off won’t matter cause we’ll have the rest of the season

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    gat-65b, BigAl6ft6 and JediFett10 like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I would mind because those 7 episodes weren't nearly as good as TM.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In retrospect, tBoBF almost seemed liked something George Lucas had ghostwritten, with the Mandalorian stuff tacked on by Favreau and Filoni.

The multi-colored punk cyborg racing kids? The tusken train heist for spice? Literally every character (the goofy Twi'lek majordomo, the Twi'lek club manager, the Pyke leader dude in the tent, the silent Tusken badass lady, Fennec Shand, even Fett)? The twin Hutts who wipe their sweat with a Hoojib? Like I can literally see Lucas in front of the story board being like, "no no, give that one a little rodent. And he uses the rodent to wipe himself off."

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I remember commenting at the time that I might have been more upset about those episodes being "Mando" episodes instead of "Boba Fett" episodes if they hadn't turned out to be really, really good "Mando" episodes.

Speaking of Mando, looking forward to finding out if the final episode of season 3 will conclude with a "post-credits" scene advertising BOBF season 2 [face_devil]

gat-65b and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, so I posted this in headcanons a while ago:

...and then I only recently got around to watching BoBF where he does almost the exact same thing. Although why doesn't he just start off by dropping seismic charges into the pit? It's not like he can get his armor out without killing the sarlacc. Also, shouldn't he have remembered still having his armor on when he crawled out...therefore it can't still be in the pit and that someone (the Jawas) must have taken it from him?

Other thoughts:
    - the lizard going up Boba's nose and messing with his mind...seems reminiscent of the Yuuzhan Vong parasitic creatures that server various functions.
    - I thought for sure the rancor gift was a trick and that it would try to eat Boba Fett the moment it was let loose. Boba says he wanted to learn to train and ride the rancor, but I don't think they ever show him doing this...so I was surprised to see him at the end already riding it into battle.
    - In Legends, I think we usually saw Hutts being transported around on repulsorsleds. Here, the Twins are carried around by a dozen servants, which seems like an awfully slow way to get around...and considering that they'd get tired or collapse from exhaustion, less reliable as well. Heck, the Hutts can move themselves around faster without being carried...remember Randa in the NJO fighting the Yuuzhan Vong warriors?
    - Boba says he wanted to take over Jabba's criminal gang so he wouldn't have to "work for scugholes". But why is this a problem for Boba Fett? He's the galaxy's best bounty hunter, so he should be able to pick and choose whichever contracts he wants to take.
    - If an N-1 starfighter is so rare, would it be better to sell it to a museum or a collector? Also what good is a starfighter to Din Djarin? He's a bounty hunter, so he needs a ship large enough to carry weapons, cargo and prisoners.
    - I thought that Luke offering the armor and lightsaber choice to Grogu was going to be a lesson about "a Jedi uses the Force for defense, never for attack" but I guess that wasn't the case. Anyway what is Grogu going to do with a lightsaber? He's too small to wield it, whereas the armor fits him at his current size. And how does it make any sense to send Grogu back to Din Djarin? He's a busy man doing dangerous things, and he went to all that trouble just to get Grogu to the safety of the Jedi...only to have it all undone?

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    My favorite of the live action offerings so far. My hype for Kenobi was too much. BOBF made Boba a fav of mine, and I never was a Boba die hard fan.

25. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm, I'd rank them: Mandalorian > Obi-wan > BoBF > Andor.

My favorite depictions of Boba Fett were in LOTF and the No Disintegrations short story.

Last edited: May 2, 2023