main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Bourne Series (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Legacy, & Jason Bourne)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, May 23, 2004.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Cross-posting from the "last movie" thread. Guess I'll go against the grain in this thread a bit.

My wife and I both really liked it. A small disclaimer or note; you really should have seen the first three Bournes (Identity, Supremacy, and Ultimatum; Legacy is totally optional) to enjoy this, and moreover you should have liked all of those installments in order to fully appreciate this movie. I don't think someone who didn't really like the earlier movies, or who liked Identity but then checked out, will be won over by this. But if you did enjoy all of those, this movie really delivers. A great plot that doesn't try to be more than it is, but which does deliver some new revelations and points that we didn't previously know about, and of course some great action. The effects are almost all practical and very well done. The acting is also well done; everyone does exactly what their character calls for, and no more... this is especially true for Matt Damon, who is very good in this despite his relatively low dialogue line count and limited range of emotions. Bourne is even more of a battered shell of a man now than he was before, but doing what's right and getting revenge for the past do still matter to him.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    EHT it was utterly terrible. Derivative, ham fisted, tired.... there was nothing that redeemed it.

3. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I didn't think it was excellent, or even as good as the first three. But either way, that's still your opinion. And I think this part of what I wrote probably applies to you: "I don't think someone who didn't really like the earlier movies, or who liked Identity but then checked out, will be won over by this. But if you did enjoy all of those, this movie really delivers."

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    more liek "The Bourne Lol Gacy"

[​IMG]

jeremy renner has a weird meat face

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh man, you just reminded me of this 90s gem:

[​IMG]

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actually i kind of flubbed that one but "dahmer" doesn't rhyme with "legacy" so what can i do?

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    ..listen to acid bath with me?

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Welp, I guess I won't be watching this then...not until Redbox at least. Used to be that I'd see a trailer and get the feeling that the movie would be bad...but then I'd be bored and curious enough to go watch it in theaters anyway. Now I see a trailer and get the feeling that the movie will be bad, and I just decide that these guys don't deserve my money.

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Given that it had two actors from the last two Ocean's movies (Damon and Cassel) and part of it takes place in Vegas, I fully expect Andy Garcia to be the main villain for the next movie, and Bourne to be aided by Clooney and Pitt. :p

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/next-bourne-re-teams-damon-greengrass/

Frank Marshall says any likely sequels will be a Damon/Gressgrass picture, and we're unlikely to see a Legacy sequel or crossover:

“I have spoken to them both. Obviously they’re very pleased with how the movie turned out. It’s really about the story, just like on this one, everyone said ‘if you come to us with a good story, we’ll think about it.’

So right now, we’re taking a pause and then we’re going to dive back in and try to find a story. We did leave it wide open at the end of the movie to continue on in Bourne’s world so we’ll see what we can come up with.”

(re: Legacy)
    “Probably not. I don’t know. That story is still out there as well but it’s not… we’re not talking about it.”

(re: crossover)
    “No, not really. I think they are separate characters, and I don’t think we’re ever going to see them together.”

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh God. Just stop these movies already. They started off over the top but at least it was goofy fun. Now it's just over the top dull.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, I'm glad to see that they're still not considering a Legacy sequel or crossover. But yeah, they should probably just be done in general at this point. I loved the first three, and while the most recent one (Jason Bourne) was entertaining enough, it wasn't really good enough to justify keeping the franchise going. That quote above ("we’re going to dive back in and try to find a story. We did leave it wide open at the end of the movie to continue on in Bourne’s world so we’ll see what we can come up with") is kind of funny in that it reveals that they would probably be forcing something story-wise at this point.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That quote just reeks of "we have to dive in and find a story to force another unneeded sequel out". If you don't have a story, why think you must make another film? I could see if they said they had another story but, really, I think they've told all they can. This franchise was done at three. Legacy was a waste and this last one was just ugly in just abut every way.And I say that as a fan of Greengrass' Supremacy.

15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The story didn't really need anything beyond the first movie. They did it anyway because money talks, and I could buy the sequels because they probably wouldn't have allowed him to disappear if the story was real either, so I was on board. But they closed it nicely with the third, and I was happy with the story ending there. Then he comes back out of hiding himself, which is just "why?", but the movie tells me it's personal, so... fine, I guess...? But story-wise it's like an addendum to the main arc, really it's incidental to it and ultimately unsatisfying because it didn't need to be there. It's like when Mr. Bean sings hallelujah in church, and he hits the note too fast, so he keeps going "jah...jah...jah...jaaaaah". This is an extra "jah". It's an addendum, and it's out of place. But I thought it was fine, in isolation, honestly.

If they do any more of them, he's going to be keeping running, which is derivative, or he's going to come in and become an asset, which goes against the whole grain of the story and the character, so I really hope they just end it here...... But of course they won't.

ShaneP likes this.
  16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I rewatched Legacy again just recently and liked it much more than I remember. In hindsight with Jason Bourne's release, I can see that it was at least trying to do something new and had a plot that expanded the Bourne world. You had Edward Norton scorching the programs and doing damage control, and it continued the story told in the previous films with the same characters. With Jason Bourne, I've really little idea about where it stands in the continuity (the subplots from the trilogy and Legacy are all dropped and there's no-one at the CIA from the previous films, Tommy Lee Jones and Alicia Vikander are all new). That it retroactively adds in the angle about Webb's father doesn't quite work. Bourne's story really did seem to be told already and so it comes across as more unnecessary sequel than the others.

Anyway, I'm personally far more interested in hearing about what Aaron Cross does next than Jason Bourne; though admittedly his story is also complete (ie, abandoned he needs to find his meds to survive and in the end he is viralled off them). The two agents pairing up or going against each other would have been interesting.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'd really only want to see them pair up if it's so they can work together to hunt down the producers and script writers who won't let them live in peace. :p

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    "We're going to flounder hopelessly around straining to find a story" has been the case ever since they tried to make a sequel to Identity. Why change their MO now?

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    At least the trilogy was loosely based on Ludlam's novels. Now it is fitting the moves are flailing around just as Ludlam's Estate keeps pumping out Bourne novels by other writers seemingly for a cash in. Aren't there maybe a dozen Bourne novels now?

EHT likes this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Everything since the Ronin-esque car chase at the end of Supremacy has been a bit of a chore to watch.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree. Now Ronin was awesome. A car chase driving in reverse.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ronin is still the best car chase movie ever, IMO. It's actually better than it gets credit for in other aspects too, but that's getting off-track.

Exactly. Even though the movies steered pretty far away from the novels, at least the novels existed and had the same names, establishing the true Bourne story as a trilogy. I thought Supremacy and Ultimatum were both great movies, like Identity, and I also thought Ultimatum was a great conclusion to the trilogy (just as the novel was a great ending to its trilogy, albeit a very different story than the movie). It was ironic that Legacy took its name from one of the not-really-Bourne novels that were written by someone else after Ludlum died, since the movie felt like such a tack-on to the existing universe (even though the story was not the same as the novel in that case either). And then with the Jason Bourne movie, now free from the novel naming conventions, they apparently employed the "we'll dig a story out of this somehow" approach that they're hinting a return to in that article.

Violent Violet Menace and ShaneP like this.
  23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Before seeing this movie (and, admittedly, right after seeing it) I thought I would probably end up buying the Blu-ray later. Now I'm quite sure that I won't, and that just the Bourne Trilogy will continue to sit on my shelf.

On that note, though, the Blu-ray / DVD came out yesterday. I noticed two things by reading the description on the back cover:
    - They don't really know what the movie was actually about.
    - They fully intend to make more movies in the "Bourne Franchise" (as hinted at in that earlier interview posted above).

[​IMG]

24. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    the first one was good but had a couple weird campy moments. no problem, but...the second one was the best, for sure. the third one was good too but not as good as the second. i didn't see the fourth one because jeremy rainer is dumb. i was interested in checking out the fifth one but i forgot to see it. oh well. and there you go - the born series.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why would you buy the film? You already own the trilogy. Just splice random bits of 2 and 3 together, get a massage chair and turn it up to the not-recommended highest setting to really replicate that shaky cam experience, et viola - Jason Bourne.