main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Box Office Contest and Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by BlueMules, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Bunny Rabbit
    I saw Mission: Impossible III (Paramount, 5.3) this morning at screening room #5 at Paramount Studios, and I'm not dissing anyone or anything with the title of this piece. Not even a little bit.

The MacGuffin of J.J. Abrams' power-packed thriller, after all, is a smallish device called "rabbit's foot", and Tom Cruise's hard-wired performance as IMF agent Ethan Hunt feels, to me, like something new: he's made himself into the energizer bunny of action heroes. And it works.

The advance buzz about M:I:3 being awfully damned good has turned out to be true, I'm afraid -- as shallow but very expensive action films go, this is about as good as it gets. But I would hold up on the talk about Phillip Seymour Hoffman stealing the picture from Cruise.

Philly is super-cool -- cold and snarly with style to burn -- but he hasn't been given enough ammo -- not enough scenes or killer lines -- to help him stand up against M:I:3's 43 year-old star.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2006/04/bunny_rabbit_i.php#COLUMN2

click above for the rest of the review.

2. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2051&p=.htm
    I can't believe how freaking well ICE AGE 2 is doing in international boxoffice.
    Over Easter weekend (3rd wknd) it did another $50+ mill. It stands now at $275m international and another $167m here. $443m total worldwide so far.
    It opens this weekend in Italy,Japan and SKorea. so expect another $50m there. lol
    after next weekend (4/28-30) it'll be over $400m international for sure.

With no Harry Potter this year it might have a shot at $600m in international gross.

3. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    http://www.thehollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002384436
    Globe still is hot for 'Meltdown'
    In the absence of fresh large-scale rollouts of major studio titles, 20th Century Fox International's "Ice Age: The Meltdown," dominated the international boxoffice for the fourth consecutive weekend with an estimated $23 million from 5,486 screens in 27 territories. The animated sequel to 2002's "Ice Age" has grossed $317 million to date overseas, nearly double its comparable domestic cume. Its worldwide boxoffice tally now stands at $485 million. "Meltdown" opened in four territories, three of which were significant: Italy (an estimated $6.2 million at 644 screens), Japan ($1.2 million at 464 sites) and South Korea ($1.8 million at 234 screens). Notable holdover markets include the U.K., where it scored a whopping $3 million in its third weekend at 492 screens for a market cume of $42.7 million.

---------------

didn't open so well in Japan.

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    But I think it can do 200 here in the states. It only needs 33 million to go.

5. sithjoe

sithjoe Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2002
    Hi guys,

Long time, no post! Just though I'd drop a little "hello" to all you BO watchers.

I hope to get computer / internet etc organised with new job soon, so until I get a chance to stop by again...

May The Force be with you all....

6. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    *waves* hi sithjoe :)
    ========================================================
    http://www.screendaily.com/story.asp?storyid=25984
    Ice Age 2 still leads international with $25.3m weekend

Fox International's Ice Age 2: The Meltdown is bearing down on $400m following another dominant weekend that generated an estimated $25.3m.

Playing on 8,396 screens, the smash animated sequel has now amassed $373.6m in international ticket sales.

The highlight was a superb $4.7m second weekend haul in Italy on 647 screens for number one and a $15.1m running total.

Fourth weekend number ones holds took place in France on $3.3m on 847 screens for $38.6m, $3.1m in Germany on 1,093 for an excellent $51.7m, $1.7m in the UK on 485 for a mighty $45.5m, and $1.4m in Australia on 336 for $15.8m. After two weekends Japan generated $1.1m on 467 for $2.8m.

=========================================================================

$373.6m + $177.7m = $551.3m est. (#32)

7. SirKnightLord

SirKnightLord Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    *bump*

No game going on? :eek:

8. Marek the Jedi

Marek the Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    hey dookie, what's up ?

and hi to all old box office dudes :)

Marek

9. Marek the Jedi

Marek the Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Friday #s - HSX insider
    Copied and pasted from the forums - very reliable insider.

Mission Impossible: $16.96
    RV: $2.94
    American Haunting $1.96
    Stick It: $1.86
    Hoot: $978K

http://talk.hsx.com/films/post.htm?0506110054.dougny

looking no very good for MI3 hmm

10. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    hey :) Marek
    long time no see.

Yeah :-( M:I:3 opened with less than expected gross.
    this will be the lowest grossing M:I domestically.
    sucks hardcore cause the movie freaking KICKEDARSE!!!! :D

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Check over in Census. ;)

I can't believe how under MI-3 was. I don't see this as being an omen for the rest of summer.

Honestly this is an easy summer to predict the #1's.

May
    5-7 M:I-3 47m
    12-14 Poseidon 41m
    19-21 DaVinci Code 75m
    26-28 X-Men 3 88m
    June
    2-4 X-Men 3 37m
    9-11 Cars 78m
    16-18 Cars 52m
    23-25 Click 46m
    July
    30-2 Superman Returns 105m
    7-9 Pirates 2 90m
    14-16 Pirates 2 42m
    21-23 Lady in the Water 53m
    28-30 Miami Vice 28m
    August
    4-6 Talladega Nights 23m
    11-13 World Trade Center 16m
    18-20 Snakes on a Plane 13m
    25-27 Snakes on a Plane 11m

12. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    I still don't see the next Superman doing $105m. Granted, we still have a little under 2 months before the film arrives, but I don't really see it topping $70m to be perfectly honest. All of the rest look fairly good, although I think I'd put the DaVinci Code at around $65m.

Yeah :-( M:I:3 opened with less than expected gross.
    this will be the lowest grossing M:I domestically.
    sucks cause the movie freaking KICKEDARSE!!!!

I still haven't seen it myself, but hopefully I can snag a viewing sometime this week. I too was suprised at how low MI3 did. I wasn't really expecting a huge blockbuster out of it, but I definitely wasn't expecting a $48m opening weekend either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.