main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Exactly. But, Jeff Lacy was very overrated. He was, and is not a very skilled fighter. He just had very good power in both hands. I don't want to take nothing away from Calzaghe's win, because he spanked Lacy. Lacy Fought a bunch of second tier journeymen like Pemberton, Syd Vanderpool, and Omar Shieka. Calzaghe is a better fighter than those calibur of fighters.

I just want to see him fight outside of Europe, so we can see if he is that good, or if he is a product of "Home Cookin." If he does, I think he has to take second billing to fighters like Hopkins, Taylor, Wright, Tarver, or Jones, since they have fought tougher competition IMO.

As for Hatton/Castillo. I would also favor Hatton at this time, solely based on work ethic. Castillo has had trouble making weight. If he comes in determined and in great shape, I say the fight is even going in. If he comes in heavy, Hatton has the ability to smother him, and outwork him.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Hopkins is aging well, but at some point a fighter gets old. Still, he has the benefit of not having alot of wars in the ring, or at least not as many as someone like Holyfield.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Holyfield...man that guy needs to retire :p I think he'll probably die in the ring, though :rolleyes:

4. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Holyfield is overated, beating an overated Tyson.

5. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

You are totally off the mark there. Holyfield was a great champion and deserves his Hall of Fame status. Mike Tyson reclaimed two of the major belts at the time, even though I hold them in so little regard. Holyfield beat everyone thrown at him, many were very good fighters. Michael Moore was a champion at the time, Holyfield destroyed him. His Cruiserweight reign was legendary. He was robbed at the Olympics like so many other American fighters, but still got the Bronze.

Also, Many ringside observers thought Holyfield should have got the decision in the 2nd Holyfield/Lewis fight. He beat a very game Hasim Rachman also. He fought 3 classic bouts with Riddick Bowe, in Bowes Prime.

Some of the other notable fight include a still game Larry Holmes, a come back minded George foreman(who beat Michael More), an up and coming but stopped in his tracks Henry Akinwande, He beat Fres Oquendo, He beat James Tillis, Michael Dokes, Alex Stewert, Bobby Czyz, and beat Ray Mercer in Mercers Prime. He also beat Buster Douglas(Overrated I admit that, but still destroyed him.

He fought various champions and former champions, and Olympic Gold Medalists. He was the best of his Era.

What more does a guy have to do?

Yes he should retire, But let me say He was and is my favorite fighter.

6. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    *animation of me missing the mark*

At least we agree on one thing...he should retire.
    -----------
    SHOWTIME BOXING

-------------

Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vazquez
    http://www.sho.com/site/sports/flash.do#/site/sports/event.do?event=454251

Antonio Tarver vs Elvir Muriqi
    http://www.sho.com/site/sports/flash.do#/site/sports/event.do?event=454245
    -----------

Also, there is Fernando Vargas vs Ricardo Mayorga, as shown here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Vargas

7. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Out of the three fights mentioned, Marquez V. Vazquez should be the best. Tarver V. Muriqi does not interest me, Tarver should win. Vargas V. Mayorga has the potential to be an action fight, but Vargas is a much better boxer and should do exactly what Oscar did to Mayorga. If Mayorga lands a haymaker anything could happen though. Vargas does not have the defense Oscar does.

8. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Anyone else wish to share their views?

9. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    None of the fights above particularly interest me. Tarver should win his, Vasquez and Marquez is close to call, and I've not paid attention at all to Vargas or Mayorga.

In other news Calzaghe and Kessler to fight.

At least, according to Frank Warren.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This evening ESPN2 appears to be dedicated to Holyfield starting with his remathc with Qawi, then against Dokes, then his rematch against Bowe. I used to be a huuuuuuuge Holyfield fan, but when he started ducking Lewis and then would not admit his very obvious loss I lost quite a bit of respect for the guy.

11. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    When did Holyfield duck Lewis???? You are probably thinking about Bowe, when Bowe through his belt in the Trash can. Holyfield fought him twice, with everything to lose. Holyfield possessed two major belts at the time and tried to unify the title. Lewis was not even deserving of a title shot when Holyfield beat Douglas for the undisputed title. Lewis was busy getting knocked out by Oliver McCall.

The first fight Lewis outpointed Holyfield, and even people who thought Lewis won clearly had the fight close. The second fight, many ringside observers thought Holyfield won, including writers from Boxingtalk.com, and Maxboxing.com.

Too many people get caught up in the bias HBO broadcasting.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    After Lewis started his comeback at one point Holyfield finally asked for 15 million dollars. He got it! Then he raised his price to 18 million. Some time pased and the powers that be said ok. Then he raised his price to 22 million dollars. Aside from the price tag shenanigans something close to two years went by before they had their match up. No one wanted to fight Lewis, including Holyfield.

13. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Holyfields dispute was with HBO. HBO would give Holyfield a piece of the PPV only after 650,000 buys. Lennox Lewis demanded a purse of 12 million dollars, making Holyfields purse plus profits from PPV about the same as fighting Henry Akinwande.

Holyfeild had two of the major belts at the time, not Lewis. Being the recognized champion, Holyfield rightly demanded the lions share of the purse. Holyfield did not "duck" Lennox Lewis. Holyfield was the one who pushed for the fight in the first place, in order to unify the titles, which was his ultimate goal.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Believe what you wish but you're wrong. Even if no one avoided anyone Holyfield still would not own up to a very obvious loss.

15. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    What I believe is that you, like many others, are influenced by bias broadcasting. Both fights were close. Yes Lewis won the first clearly by points. The second fight could have gone either way.

Holyfield was the aggressor in both fights. What do you expect him to say?

Post proof of your claim about Holyfield "ducking" Lewis. I stated what actually happend, while you state rumor. Here is a link to a story of the fight negotiations:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/42268.stm

16. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Here is an interesting rematch that is going to happen:

Vassiliy Jirov V. James Toney

The first fight was action packed, and had a brutal ending. I will definitly watch.

Another interesting fight is:

Luis Collazo V. Sharmba Mitchell

Many boxing writers and ringside observers thought that Collazo beat Hatton (I did too). Before getting knocked out the second time, Sharmba was leading on points in the first fight with Tzu before the fight was stopped because of a Mitchell leg injury.

Also Zab Judah V. Miguel Cotto is coming up too.

Should be a good fight.

17. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Well...

The Tarver fight was not very good. Had some good hard fought rounds, but Tarver should not have been in a close fight with this guy, even with the layoff.

The foul and headbutt fest that was the Cotto-Judah fight proved only one thing, Cotto is NOT ready for Floyd. I would like to see him fight Hatton or Collazo. Maybe even a fight with some of the good welterweights, like the Margarito-Williams winner.

18. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Hatton v Castillo tonight.

Predictions anyone?

19. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    I think Castillo will win, by seeing his fight with Mayweatef..

20. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    That was a short fight now, was it?

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    All I have to say is that I'm very proud of "The Hitman" right now :D

OK, I have more to say :p

I was surprised at the early finish tbh. I'd wanted to watch the fight, but didn't get the chance because I don't subscribe to the channel that was airing it, plus I'd gone out for a few beers with one of my friends that night anyway. The way the fight was being talked up I thought it was going to be war between Hatton and Castillo, all the way through to the 12th round.

Hatton however, has managed to prove his critics wrong, especially when it comes to his training. His last two fights he wasn't in the best shape for, especially considering his diet and love for pies and beer (I sympathise, I love beer and pies too, but then again, I never made it past amateur, and Ricky is the world's number 1 professional light-welter fighter), so I'm glad that he trained hard and didn't indulge himself in regards to his diet. His punching power (half a ton last I heard) obviously won him the fight (that left hook to the ribs was sublime). If he trains like this for every future fight, he's going to be very hard to beat.

Next on the list, I've heard De La Hoya, Cotto and Mosely are in the frame, but I want a Hatton-Mayweather fight, personally.

22. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I give Hatton credit, he went to work, and won the fight. I am not a big Hatton fan, but he did what he was supposed to do against a tough, but been in a few too many wars, fighter.

I think Hatton should stay away from 3/4 fighter you mentioned. Those being De La Hoya, Mosely, and Mayweather. I think they are much better boxers, who have a huge edge in hand speed. I look back to the Collazo fight, which I think Hatton lost. Collazo was a better boxer, with the same amount of hand speed as Hatton, and Hatton struggled. Hatton impressed the judges by his work ethic to get that decision, not his boxing ability. I don't see Hatton winning those fights.

But...a Hatton V. Cotto fight would have the potential to be great. Both fighters are busy, and get hit a lot. This would be a war, and an event I would pay to see. I would also like to see Hatton fight Vivian Harris, who has recently called him out.

Hatton needs to stay at 140 and fight guys like Joel Casamayor, and Harris. The money and names will entice him into 147 and higher though. If he does move up, I think he should fight Collazo again first.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    From what I've heard, Hatton wants super-fights only from now on until he retires. The names I've listed are big names, unlike Harris and Casamayor. From what I'm reading, mind, Mayweather's team seem receptive to a Hatton superfight. And who better to prove Hatton's status as the best than beating Pretty Boy?

24. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    For those who like boxing, my uncle is the managing editor for Ring Sports.

Just a little bit of family promotion there. :p

25. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

I was "playing" Hatton's manager in my post. My point was, that Hatton is not a very good technical fighter like the names you mentioned. He would be the underdog in every one of those fights. I don't see him beating De La Hoya, Mosely, or Mayweather.

Also, Casamayor has been in more big fights than Hatton has. He fought Corrales, an Freitas to name a few. Vivian Harris is a very good fighter that has a popular name in the US, and anyone who knows boxing, knows that Vivian Harris is a legitimate threat to the light welter, and welterweight divisions.

I think he still has unfinished business with Collazo.

Floyd Mayweather has said he wants to fight Hatton as recently as yesterday on Boxingtalk.com. I think it would be a big fight, but an easy win for Floyd. Hatton does not have the hand speed, athleticism, or boxing skill to beat Floyd. That is why I said he should fight Cotto, Casamayor, or Harris. Fights against those fighter would be exciting, and maybe prepare Hatton more for Floyd, than Castillo or Tzu.