main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Six months (retroactively) for Canelo - he can fight in mid-August. Gennady was hinting at retirement a year ago - I think this gives him a reason to stick around, especially if he wins this fight next month.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    judging in this sport continues to be a ****ing atrocity

broner showed up for 3 rounds and got a draw. racist pos to the end, too.

great win for khan tonight

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My wife dvr'ed this weekend's matches and I am currently sitting through them. She specifically told me to watch the Lara/Marrero match. If you didn't watch it, you should seriously check it out. You won't regret it and it won't take any effort on your part. All you need is 2 minutes.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    was planning to watch the golovkin fight later this morning

looks like there's not much there

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    So Fury is about to have his second come back bout.

Not a huge boxing fan and dislike Fury (Issues with homosexuality etc...) but concede he is/was an excellent boxer and as a result I am intrigued and after the last farcical "bout" this one has piqued my interest.

Walking into the ring now.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Fury won on point and now has a bout with Wilder set up

THAT will be interesting

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    oh gosh why.

i'll be surprised if fury gets two rounds.

9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    There is an aura around Fury, I can see him going further than 2 round but I can see Wilder beating him unless he gets massively sharper.

I would love to see him get clocked though. Totally and utterly embarrassed. Don't care who knocks him off his self perceived perch. I'd just love to hear that Fury has had his clock cleaned.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    sorry, i should have clarified. by "gets," i meant "wins."

i imagine the fight will go a bit longer - maybe not much, though.

FatBurt likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I've yet to watch the Golovkin-Alvarez fight from last night, but yet another high-profile event in which the resulting lead story is poor judging is just what the sport needs.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, Meltzer didn't even review it for his website, which shows you how bad it probably was.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It was a tricky bout to weigh. There were about 20 of us watching it last night and we were fairly split over how the points were being awarded. All I am certain of is that my GGG loving wife has spent all day commenting on Canelo's PED history being to blame. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  14. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Feel for triple g he won both fights by at least 4 rounds but judges and de la Hoya screwed him cant see Canelo agreeing to a fight in a neutral venue with fair judging

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ugh, this sucks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/27/sports/hbo-boxing.html

HBO, for the most part, did a brilliant job covering the sport - Lampley/Merchant/Steward was one of the best broadcasting tandems in the history of anything, and I'm not even sure Larry was awake for most of those years. Max Kellerman is one of the best analysts and advocates in a sport in desperate need of them.

Sorry to see them leave it behind.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It'll allow ESPN to put Kellerman on their own ESPN boxing broadcasts full time since he's already in house for them.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Lomo rules.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Wasn't even a bad fight from Pedraza - his surviving all 12 rounds was remarkable. Just gassed quicker, and was outclassed.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    rip harold lederman. a unique and wonderful scoring analyst for as long as I watched boxing on HBO.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    joshua should handle wilder, if it ever happens. i don't think it would be a close fight.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Joshua vs Wilder? Oops.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    unfortunate result, really. only seen highlights/knockdowns, but i'd expect Joshua to fare much better in the rematch in london, and get back on track to fight/beat wilder.

deontay wilder's faced one good opponent, and drew with him. he won't be able to hide forever, regardless of what he vomits on twitter.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Joshua clearly didn't prepare properly for this and was expecting it to be a cakewalk.

He "should" have beaten him but was clearly beaten by the better guy on the night.

Like Tyson and Lewis, he's be caught short by a "lesser" opponent and will come back stronger, maybe this means he won't underestimate an opponent again.

I did think Fury's response was very good considering he appears to have no time for Joshua too.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You know Fury has some decent pipes....