main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Boys and Gen V

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Jul 26, 2019.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Someone is clearly not an expert on how Compound V works.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Butcher should've let Soldier Boy kill the budding fascist Ryan. Now back to the status quo where the bad guys keep winning and the Boys and their allies accomplish nothing but adding more traumatized and dead people to the pile.

What was the point of Stormfront surviving Ryan's attack only for her to be unceremoniously killed off shortly after? I figured Vought was faking her death somehow, but we didn't get any hint of that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I thought so at first as well, but I've sinced binged the whole series again and I actually think this was set up pretty well. Butcher promised to protect Ryan during Becca's death scene and that came across as very genuine - with his love for the woman I thought it was pretty convincing.

What's less convincing was that love. Becca's character isn't fleshed out that well, the casting isn't great, the chemistry isn't there. So as a viewer you tend to draw different conclusions than Butcher.

Also Ryan comes across like a little ****.

vin likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I think Ryan could have tanked the blast. Homelander would have absorbed most of it

5. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

But Butcher promissed Becca to protect Ryan, so would made no sense he let someone to kill him
    Also, Ryan, himself probably will be the one that in the very end will be the only one able to kill HL.
    The thing to be determined is

Will he kill HL to stop his evil ways or to overtake him as most evil supe out there
    As for Stormfront

i would theorize that Vought kept her as long they did to harvest her eggs. Since it was revealed that Soldier Boy is the father of HL most people believe Stormfront was the "donator" of the fertilized egg. Remember in ep.07 HL told Maeve they were keeping her alive because of her eggs. Why would they start doing it just now ? Because the main donator ( SF) has died and they needed Maeve eggs from now on.

6. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Really enjoyed the finale, and the season. As usual I am utterly clueless as to the spoiler policy for the thread, so given my aversion to ever being the one to spoil something for someone, going to go behind the SPOILER TAG for particulars!

> THE FIGHTS: For some reason, I generally enjoy superhero fights where the characters AREN'T too cosmic. Not sure why that is. What I mean is - for example - I love the fights in WINTER SOLDIER, CIVIL WAR (the CA airport scene, which I greatly enjoyed, a bit of an exception to that), DEADPOOL 2, FALCON and WINTER SOLDIER, etc, where the combatants are very powerful but where it isn't all CGI flying and massive explosions and the like. To that end, wow, the fight between Homelander, Soldier Boy, Butcher and Hughie last episode, and the big final battle here were spectacular. It's probably a case where a limited budget made things BETTER - while Homelander is at about Superman-level, the more grounded fights between him and the team and him and Maeve...wow. WOW.

> THE VILLAINS: Another thing I appreciated... in a lot of superhero movies and many action movies, the villain comes off as weak in the final confrontation. It almost feels like all the hero had to do was to get angry enough (finally), to stop holding back (finally), and the once formidable villain doesn't seem so formidable. It comes off as if they were never all that powerful OR they are really cowards once they are really stood up to or have to take some damage. Never like that, and frankly it makes the hero's victory seem a bit hollow. Given all that, LOVE that Homelander, whatever else he is, is NOT in that mold, and neither was Soldier Boy. Makes them better villains and pumps up the heroes as well.

> SOLDIER BOY and HOMELANDER: Not sure I "got" Soldier Boy's contempt for Homelander. Maybe it's me - that didn't feel set up by what we had seen. Soldier Boy had virtually no interactions with Homelander (on screen), so where was all this "you're a disappointment" stuff coming from? I guess I can make some assumptions - Butcher and Hughie had explained about Homelander (off camera), Soldier Boy had been doing some research on Homelander (doesn't seem the the type but maybe?). I don't know, I just didn't feel that the two had interacted enough to justify that.

> KIMIKO: While we've all seen a million scenes similar to the one in which Kimiko and Frenchie break into the Vought Lab and are attacked by Vought Security, and while I don't recall having this reaction generally, the scene here didn't entirely work for me. Yes, Vought is evil. But would the average hired security grunt working for Vought know that? So two ... who knows what... break into a lab containing super dangerous chemicals (Frenchie whips up deadly nerve agent pretty quickly so that lab has got to be super-dangerous, right?) and of COURSE security is going to respond. And then it is played like Kimiko is all gleeful and happy to just rip these guys to pieces. The whole "Maniac" thing? The dancing? The way she spends two minutes ripping the one guard's face off? This isn't a "going to do what I have to" moment, it's a "isnt this fun tearing these guys to pieces and killing them when I could probably take them out less lethally" moment. I don't know... for me, the tone was off.

> MAEVE AND THE NERVE AGENT: Um, didn't Maeve throw a bottle of dangerous nerve agent out into the middle of a crowded city? I guess I can rationalize that she threw it into a river or something (er...would THAT be a good thing?). I don't know...given how gingerly MM was handling it earlier, that seemed REALLY weird.

NOIR: I am hopeful that Noir will be back, despite the reasons to think he won't be. He has an amazing healing factor, right? So maybe kinda sorta he could even recover from having his guts punched out? Maybe?

DEEP: The Deep has mostly been used for dark (very, often) disturbing comedy, for a long time now - it was interesting seeing him do something flat out evil.

Despite the quibbles, had a great time with Season 3 and loved the battle scenes. They've gone to a pretty wild place by the end of the season - interesting to see how they deal with the ramifications moving forward!

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I regret clicking the spoiler tag

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just finished S3.

I guess I feel about the same as with other seasons, I enjoy it at times but it just goes too far with the gross stuff. Homelander's schizo stuff in the mirror is good.
    I wish the story would get somewhere tho.
    And what happened to A Train? he was hardly in the last ep.

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Try and keep up, gez

gezvader28 likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Something write itself, lol.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Video comes with gore and swears warning but, it is The Boys so you already knew that

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  12. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    So, Gen V, a The Boys spinoff started to stream today at Amazon Prime.
    Critics seem to love it.
    Anyone did catch it ?

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    First three are out, and are magnificent.

@heels1785 would you be kind enough to add “and Gen V” to the title?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Watching Gen V, on episode two.

So are The Boys back? To invoke the John Wick line: Yeah, they're ****ing back.

The sharp satire of politics, media, business all filtered through superpowers is as great as ever.

15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Nice opening sequence

Almost beats season 1's opening scene of The Boys but not quite

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Godolkin University.

Yeah, this will get messy.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    on the one hand the most overused trope in streaming is the school for *name a supernatural being.* On the other hand, it's ****ing great.

18. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    Trying it, but not really impressed so far.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I just googled Godolkin, and hahaha.

It’s not for you, that happens

FatBurt likes this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The Boys take on the X-Men.

Looks like the Flame guy is taking inspiration from Tom Brady. The Miami Vice club wear made that clear.

Poor shrinking girl.

21. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    EXACTOMUNDO, but where are the parodies?
    I mean, you know Homelander is Superman, Maeve is Wonder Woman, Soldier Boy Cap America, The Deep is Aquaman and the thing goes on and on.
    But on this show who is Wolverine ? Cyclops? Storm ? Jean Grey ?
    There's a girl that has to use gloves to touch people. Could be a reference to Rogue but the rest of the character brings nothing similar to Anne Marie.
    And here's the kicker: TB source materials does have a true X-men mock up, the G-MEN.

The Boys' Version of The X-Men Rival The Seven In One Major Way
    Godolkin was supposed to be TB's universe Prof X; he created a compund V variant to create his own super people.
    He made a deal back them with Vought that would keep secret supes were actually "man create by serum" and Vought allowed him to keep his own team as long they shared the money ( as royalties)
    And in the comic bookk The Boys series, The G-Men are the main "rivals" of the Seven.
    And that's probably my main disapointment on the series : i was really expecting a G-Men stuff, literal G-Men, not a bunch of new characters that feels more like a spin off from the TV series.

In the end i felt it was like a really watered down of the main series with Marie being a knock-off of Starlight.

22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Thanks for all informative info. I was thinking more generally of the early x-men (pre-Wolverine) concept of heroes in a school for super powers and how we learn about the onset of their powers. Not an exact 1 to 1 with the members of the X-Men.

Interesting to learn there is a more 1 to 1 in The Boys universe for our X-Men.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, in terms of X-Men in the show-
    there is a Magneto in the show. And a guy who heals like Wolverine (sort of)

Interesting start. Curious to see where it will go.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Loved the first 3 episodes.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So "Gen V" is worth watching?