main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Boys and Gen V

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Jul 26, 2019.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I know, right?

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    European mainland voltage.

3. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Does anyone else here feel some sympathy for Homelander?

dp4m and Darth Smurf like this.
  4. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Was thinking about it earlier...excited for darth vader in season 3.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    That finale was ****ing diabolical! Honestly might be the best episode yet.

Darth Punk likes this.
  6. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Don’t be a ****

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    There were some excellent lines of dialogue in the finale, absolutely spot on.

Butcher: "It's all about the profit, isn't it?"
    Stan: "When in the history of the world hasn't it been?"

Stormfront: "People love what I say. They just don't like the word Nazi."

And they actually paraphrased Trump's Fifth Avenue quote, well done show! :p

I love how the show openly and bluntly comments on today's world by showing how easily a few evil people can manipulate stupid masses by keeping them outraged and feeding them lies. I mean that's how Brexit and Trump happened.

Stormfront even quotes Pilate's cynical "What is truth?" The truth is whatever you want it to be, provided you convince enough people.

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe I missed something but
    is Neuman making the heads explode or is Cindy helping her?
    Fandom wiki says it's Neuman but I would love if Cindy is the one.
    [​IMG]

9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    It's Newman: she's a supe in disguise and probably the main vilain of the next season.

A thing that really impressed me this season was the acting.
    Everybody was impressive.
    Anthony Starr is magnificent as Homelander. He brought some grayness in a character the should simply an a*****e. But though out the season he was able to show cracks, doubts, fears of the character. In some episode Homelander is even simpathetic, you can feel his pain, like when he has to let his son go. That moment showed he really cared about his son, that in the end he wanted a family, some normal life. And that was all on Starr's acting. CUE TO KEVIN FEIGE : GIVE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD TO THAT MAN TO PLAY MAGNETO IN MCU.
    Karl Urban as Billy was also spectacular, even more in the last couple of episode when he confronts his father and has to make choices about Becca. Expect his brother history to be in the next season.
    Erin Moriarty surprised me. She was truly capable showing Starlight evolution.She mnade clear that Annie and Starlight are not the same person, being the latter just a character.
    The other Boys also shined. Visit Karen Fukuhara youtube channel and see how she really is in real to understand how good is her acting on the show. Laz Alonso ( Mother's milk) should be Joh nStewart OR IF KEVIN FEIGE DON'T BRING BACK THE PEOPLE OF THE NETFLIX SHOW, THE NEW LUKE CAGE.
    Meg Ryan's son will have a long movie career.
    Aya Cash( Stormfront), a jew herself, playing a Nazi was amazing.
    Cudos to everyone.
    PUNK EDIT: I put your answer to Smurf’s question under a spoiler tag.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2020
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Largely speculation, but one spoiler from episode 8 (which of course, was a FANTASTIC episode)

This congresswoman...

Vaught controls should got the V, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she is under Edgars control. She got rid of the old guy at the hearing, and only one supe I think. And that was a speedster, who seem to be ten a penny. Then of course there was that last head pop, of someone who just told her he can tak down a dozen Supes.

Seems like a total manipulation and inside job to me.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The Butcher one-liner series review: "And that, my friends, is a ******* ride!"

Fantastic series. So much better for blitzing across two days. The running joke for us was the advisory panel at the start of each panel, spotting if the number of warnings increased or decreased with each episode.

But, while the shock factor was as present here as in the first series - all those exploding heads were well done - it has far more to it than just the shock factor. This series built on the corporate critique established in the first one by bringing Giancarlo Esposito, who seems to be in everything right now, as the head honcho at Vought. But it also shows another skill in how it adapts the source material, being true to the spirit of it without following it literally. Case in point - the change with having Becca still be alive, Butcher's relationship with his still living parents - both are a major departure from the comic, but each is very effective. Butcher's antipathy towards kids clearly stemming from his father and his desire, even if he won't admit it, to not inflict that on another.

Butcher, in both comics and TV, is a broken man covering up just how badly wounded he is by playing up being a macho bastard, but the nature of those wounds differ quite a bit in the two. While it will likely play out in a way linked to the comics, the end of the second series suggests it'll be quite distinct too, especially where the Supes are concerned. One of the best relationships in the show is Frenchie and the Female, here it has its ups and downs, but resolves very effectively.

The most ingenious bit of reinvention is with Stormfront. Revising her into a media-savvy, culturally manipulative Nazi is very, very smart. Some might look at how it plays out and wonder how a Nazi could have the skills she has, but that's no mystery once you recognise the Nazis were among the first to realise the potential of the mass media for political manipulation and were very good at exploiting it. The idea that those skills would simply be transferred to new technology is easily made with this foundation.

I've no idea where they'll go for series 3, I'm looking forward to it.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love Butcher.:cool:
    Poor Becca,:_| Nazi bitch:mad:.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One area where the TV was tamer than the comics was with Terror, who, in the comics, had this killer, NSFW scene:

[​IMG]
    That was in issue 1, after 6 issues, DC suddenly decided against publishing it and the book moved to Dynamite. I can't think why.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    SuperWatto likes this.
  15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I just reread the first TPB, because I needed more. Interestingly, Butcher and Hughie look totally different - they're Diggy and Darth Punk.

Darth Punk , Diggy and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How far did you get in the comics Watto? It started to change at the mid-30s point.

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I have the first four TPBs, so I guess right up until that moment?

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it was around trades 7-8. It was after Herogasm and I think that was volume 5.

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    lol. 'Herogasm'.

Sucks that we won't be getting a new season for the next year/year and a half. So I might just get those comics.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Actual arc title. I mean it.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    From what I’ve read, Hughie was loosely based on Simon Pegg in Spaced. And the resemblance is there in the comic. Pegg playing Hughie’s dad was a nice shout out.

22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes, he wrote an introduction for that first TPB.

That bastard got some lucky casting. He was in Star Wars, in The Boys, and... in the I'm Alan Partridge ladyboys scene.

Darth Punk and Diggy like this.
  23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well that season was mind-blowing! :p

"Girls do get it done" [face_rofl]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Fun little Q&A on Karen Fukuhara (Kimiko)'s Youtube channel with Erin Moriarty. Season 2 spoilers!

Darth Smurf and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Okay, like, I feel like it's time to change my ava-taaaaar?