main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Call of Duty Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why would the UN hire PMCs?

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    When has anything in this series made sense?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, back in Call of Duty 2 I seem to vaguely recall the Allied forces battling the Axis during World War II, that sounds somewhat plausible.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Your right, I should rephrase that: When have any of the recent entries in this franchise ever made sense? I mean MW 2 is basically Red Dawn as directed by Michael Bay.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It worries me though that Legolas Skywalker is assuming this series isn't jingoistic stupidity writ large and might be basing world views off it.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Say what?

I'm sure this game is better than that piece of garbage Ghosts

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    They wouldn't, not in real life. I don't think there are any PMCs on the same scale as a national army like ATLAS. and the UN has its own forces. In the world of AW, ATLAS is a huge army that has no allegiances so it could be sent in without anyone accusing them of bias or conflict of interest. Or at least that's my take on it.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Technically the UN doesn't have its own force. It may compromise specific and mandated forces for specific situations, which operate under the UN banner and with UN blessing. But there's no standing UN army or force.

9. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    World at War was pretty plausible, leaving aside the zombies.

Of course, I'm one of those who miss the WW2 era sooo...

10. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Amen to that. I really wish we could get back to making some fun historical FPS games instead of always getting modern/future warfare. WWII would be fun to revisit or even some earlier eras like WWI or even the American Civil War.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Um, I'm having a hard time finding the fun in a Civil War game that probably engages you in a timing minigame as you painstakingly reload your rifle before some other guy (or cannon) on the other side blows you away. :p

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  12. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Call of Duty: Civil Warfare featuring Confederate zombies is something I'd gladly pay $60 for.

13. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I bet that kids back in the 19th century used to pretend to play war like that all of the time. :p

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There were repeaters during that time. Some had a whopping seven shots per magazine. They're not good compared to what we have today but they were better than muskets.

As an aside, I really want the zombie skin for multiplayer. Does anyone have it already or does anyone want to help me get it? You get it by playing Exo-Survival. It's 50 rounds on Tier 1 maps, 75 rounds on Tier 2 maps, 100 rounds on Tier 3 maps, and then getting to round 10 on Riot.

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Geez, how could I forget the Henry repeater? That was one of my go-to guns in Red Dead Redemption? [face_doh]

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just played some Advanced Warfare online. It was fun, though I suck at FPS games.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, but does anyone else play with paintball mode turned on? Don't ask me why but I think it's more fun to see paint splats rather than blood and bullet holes.

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Another year, another Call of Duty...

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm really looking forward to it. Being able to play a customisable female character in more open levels with all gear being available at all times just sounds good to me. Haven't preordered it yet as I want to know more, and also because they haven't released info on the Collector's Editions yet.

20. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I used to think Call of Duty had gone too far in its complete lack of realism (not that it was ever 'realistic' lol) and bizarre futuristic plots with no resemblance to the older games but now I have come to appreciate it. Call of Duty has become like the Godzilla of games (except higher quality than most Godzilla films). It's basically the summer blockbuster of video games, but it's also in a way like a novelty equivalent to B-films with lovable flaws and timelines that overlap and don't make any sense (hence the Godzilla comparison).

I did not care for Ghosts and Advanced Warfare was just boring for me. MW3 was meh too. The first Call of Duty I played was Modern Warfare 4, which is still the best one. A part of me thinks the series got too big too fast and likes the more "toned down but still more impactful" nature of that game. MW2 was the beginning of the series decline into outrageousness and it's bad and good at the same time. I love it. The Black Ops series, along with the first two Modern Warfares, are legitimately good games despite the overall tone the series has taken. There's something to be said about a series that went from a generic WWII shooter to what it is now. Black Ops took us further down the descent and Black Ops II was basically a drug-cartel crime drama with a future military setting. Just the Black Ops story arc is pretty crazy for a first person shooter. We went from normal but grittier WWII game to this. Ghosts and Advanced Warfare were just nothing much. I have hope for Black Ops III. I thought Black Ops II would be terrible but I still play online sometimes and Treyarch might as well be the only Call of Duty developer ever since Infinity Ward basically turned into a whole new developer in everything but name because they are the only ones really adding to the series.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This game has me really interested. I like the turn to full-on military science fiction.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    They need to bring back WW2 or better yet introduce WW1 to the series

23. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    seriously hyped for call of duty modern warfare remastered looks amazing