main
side
curve
  1. The Summer 2020 RPF Awards

Greetings Guest, it is awards season!! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!! To see the winners of the Summer 2020 Awards, visit here

2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Fantasy Thriller OPEN The Calm Before the Storm - Dieselpunk, Urban Fantasy

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by TheAdmiral, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2003
    Giniro J’andra IC:
    ~Enterprise, Open Sea~

“Alright, alright we get it…The ale awaits us.”

The dwarf was getting impatient again. Giniro nearly chuckled aloud. How so much like a dwarf.

“Are ‘ya coming or not?”

Yes, very much a typical dwarf. Chief Engineer or not. Smiling despite still feeling a bit humbled around the others, he offered a quiet nod and began to move after the man. He was pleasantly surprised how the noble lady decided to walk next to him of all people.

“You are not at all the least important person, Dr. J'Andra. You might discover some wonderful new species, you know! I am probably the least important person here. I’m supposed to be the registrar…I write down and keep track of what all the rest of you discover. Something any idiot could do, really.”

For a human, this Lady Delfina had a rather nice smile. He gave a little smile as his feline eyes looked at her in acknowledgment.

“That is very kind of you, my lady! Though I think you are more important than you realize too. I may be knowledgeable in my field, but oh, I’m so disorganized it’s rather dizzying. To be a registrar, you must be quite organized and well put in your thoughts. I’ll be relying on you!”

“We all have our part to play in this mission. Whether we write things down and whether we look at animals. Whatever we do on this adventure, we shall all become part of a new chapter in history. A part of something truly exciting.”

Giniro blinked once, almost faltering in his steps though he succeeded in not doing so. He had not thought of this trip in quite such a grandiose way! It was an amazing opportunity, truly some new things could be learned! But a new chapter in history? A little spark of excitement did appear in his eyes at this.

Delfina herself then turned to speak with the archaeologists, which he listened now that one of them had revived some heart within his breast again.

“So, are we looking for anything in particular? Lieutenant Tyler said we were looking for lost cities connected to the Ancient Ones. Which is terribly vague, but quite exciting.”

The Ancient Ones? Giniro had heard of them before, but he never did quite pay attention. They weren’t exotic or rare species of the wilderness and so had never really listened past the title. His parents probably would have scolded him for this back in his youth, but then he had always been described as possessing a rather acute tunnel-vision when he subconsciously wanted to.

“In answer to your question, milady, yes we are looking for the Ancient Ones. But unfortunately not much is known about them apart from legends and tales. But that’s what makes it more interesting is the fact that we are venturing into the unknown. That these beings could have been worshiped as Gods, could have been instrumental in maybe creating civilizations and cities. I suppose we will only know when we get there.”

These Ancient Ones possibly were worshipped? Were they the dragons maybe? No, that was silly. Everyone knew of the dragons, whatever their opinion on them were. So not Ancient Ones. What could have ever come before the dragons? Giniro couldn’t even begin to fathom. Best to stick with fauna!

“But we are not just concentrating on them, we have other tribes to visit. Tribes that may have never been visited. And probably plenty of animals to catalogue too.”

Giniro grinned back at this Pascale for this comment, giving a firm nod.

"We may come across temples and tombs that are millennia old. Something for you two ladies to pop in your scrapbooks. I don’t know if my esteemed colleague has anything to add, but I would love to discuss things over drinks as our Engineer friend seems to be in a hurry.”

“He did say the ale was ‘awaiting’ us,” Giniro offered helpfully with a small purr-like laugh, “I personally am hoping for at least three new large species of beasts, maybe a few avians, a dozen or so insect types…”

The felinoid gave a little shrug, though with his smile still in place as he followed the dwarf with the others.

Tag: Mieli, Lieutenant Tyler, Lady Delfina, Pascale, & Keela @TheAdmiral @Mistress_Renata @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Reynar_Tedros

Cinna Crystalglade IC:
    ~Fountain of Knowledge Bookstore, Basileus~

He allowed his storm, theatre though it was, to follow him out of The Luna and down the street a ways, just incase any followed in some fashion. Unlikely, but plausible.

As Cinna made to pause in front of an older bookstore nearby, he paused as if to let out a little huff. Catch his breath, which was genuine. Ah, but to all the onlookers it was to still the surging wrath in his heart, that unbearable rage like the waves of an oceanic storm! But in truth, it was the shivering and electrifying excitement of a play well acted and well received. An unknown future of untold prospect and opportunity lay before him!

The meeting with the Empress. The ruse with the Count. And, of course, his coming rendezvous with his love: the Princess.

Truly, to you hypothetical (and strictly hyperbole of course) onlookers of thine life. What say you? Is this not the grandest stage you have seen set? Oh, please give your applause in the sky so perhaps I can hear it in the thunder to come! For the sun shines on the road bending and weaving before me now and done so partially by this little fairie nobleman’s own design. If there is not a tale or a dozen in here to tell in the coming months or even year, why…

Cinna smiled in his little odd thought pattern. Why, I’d eat my cane. Sprinkled with a little sugar of course, such things must be sweetened when possible.

Glancing to his side, he noted the older shopkeeper looking over at him with a smile on his face. A human man, a rather warm and welcoming sort in his mind. Why, how do you do and do you know how you do the things you do?

His wings fluttered. Yes, Lord Crystalglade was in a good mood. He was unleashing spectacular witticism all in his mind, too flushed with amusement and contentment to even speak aloud properly!

“Ah, my lord, can I interest you in some light reading?”

Oho, but now he engages the lord to speak. A reason to open the floodgates once more. The man stepped forward, a shine to his eyes that now truly caught Cinna’s attention.

This man must be part-fae. Exaggeration again, but still. Magnificent!

“Or maybe something deeper? Or something life changing? How about something illuminating?”

Offering a little tap-tap into the ground with his cane and spinning promptly to face him as if in a military drill, he bowed while letting his hat roll off his head and down his arm to be caught in hand and leaned lower.

The enigma that was his kind to others. From one mood to the other in the blink of their eyes. A simple shopkeep and he was all alight again? Far too hard to read they were, yes.

Oh, please keeping thinking that, if any are still watching me from before.

“My good man,” he tittered.

And a little toss of the hat back up his arm, his straightening posture and movement of his arm making it seem to roll back up the length of it till with a little soft plop it was back atop its perch once more.

“I am not the most avid of readers, my literary purview in much need of expansion,” he leaned forward slightly toward the man on his cane and held aloft a single finger, “However, let me challenge you. Or maybe something deeper? Maybe something life altering? Maybe something illuminating?”

Another little tap on the ground as he straightened and beamed at the older gentlemen.

“I do you one better. Maybe something that does all three at once? And at once, does all three? If you have something quite like that,” he gave a playful wink, “I would very much offer my interest and intrigue!”

The air smelled like tulips. A sudden thought, like lightning. But it occurred to him and he was in sudden agreement. Yes. Tulips. And in the so-called Language of Flowers, tulips meant…

Cinna smiled happily as he awaited a response.

Tag: Bookseller @TheAdmiral

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. darthbernael

darthbernael Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Fun with our GM in a combo, with @TheAdmiral

IC Teirvonel Vanhetgoud and Lady Eleanor Al’meera
    The Luna

Teirvonel sat back as he waited for the waitress to finish with the bill. As he did he noticed a woman weaving her way through the tables. Her path, as he watched, would lead her directly to his table. A tiny smile touched the corner of his mouth and hi hand reached out to the waitress, ”Sweet lady, it appears I will be staying a while longer, so a second drink, if you please.”

By the time he finished speaking another waiter had appeared and his new guest was being seated by the man. He looked her over as she took her seat, unsure of her station, but her first words ended that, “I hope you don’t mind me intruding.” she gave him a warm smile “But I think you will need some company, Count.” the lady sat as the waiter pushed back the seat “Given how your last partner departed in such a dramatic way.” she tilted her head “My name is Lady Eleanor Al’meera. I have always wanted to meet a Ranger in person.” the Lady said as she pushed back her glasses a bit. “I am sure you have some very exciting stories to tell.”

He nodded, a respectful greeting, given the high status of the Lady who currently sat across from him. Before he could reply, the waitress returned to the table with his new drink. ”Whatever the Lady would like, as well, please. And given the currents of this cafe, perhaps beginning a tab would be wise.” he chuckled before returning his gaze to the Lady in question.

”Yes there are many stories I could tell, of those days, but I sense that those stories weren’t exactly why you chose to sit at my table.” The small smile touched the corner of his lips again as he waited and observed how she interacted with the wait staff, small things could tell a lot about a being.

Eleanor matched his smile, but before she could speak the waiter approached her. The lady looked up at the man "I would like some of your finest lemonades." she said with a pleasant voice and turned her head back at the Count "Very perceptive of you." she smirked "I see you are acclimating to the life in the capital." Eleanor covered her mouth and chuckled softly "One might say that this is regrettable, as the Rangers' attitude is refreshing, compared to the duplicity of the ones living here." the corners of her mouth curved a bit into a smile "It is more of a social meeting and given the scene that you and your adversary made here I was very curious to meet you."

A slight tilt of the drink in Teirvonel’s hand responded first. ”One must act the part, at least to a degree, depending on the environment one finds themselves in. Although,” he chuckled slightly and sat back for a moment. ”I would say the fairie who just departed would deem me still too rough around the edges for Court.”

Taking a sip his eyebrow raised as he considered her last words, ”Besides, social niceties should be observed when meeting someone new. Especially one highly placed at Court. But it does seem my presence here has been intriguing many since I arrived. So, what of my earlier interaction garnered your attention, Lady?”

Eleanor smiled "Oh, I had just arrived, I only saw the last part of your performance." she stressed the last part, though she had no hard evidence, just fishing for information "But it was not why I decided to join you for a drink." the lady tilted her head slightly "I want to know any new face in Court, see if we can be useful to each other or not." her lips curved a bit in a small smile, but it did not reach her eyes, they were studying the man intently.

Teirvonel chuckled at her statement, his eyes glittering momentarily. ”The fairie had much the same idea but found me perhaps too coarse for his taste. Besides, keeping some cold iron by your side is always a smart thing when confronted by either fae or fairie.”

His blue eyes met hers, a hint of humor in them, as though he knew that this whole ‘interview’ was a test of sorts.This was the first that one of the more powerful Houses, or a member of one, had deigned to speak to him, most ignored his presence. ”Court is much like the battlefield, well similar to that for a Ranger, out in the cold, alone, and having to make alliances where needed.” A mirthless smile followed, ”Of course the way a Ranger would deal with someone who betrayed an alliance is quite different at Court than in the field.”

"Oh, I would not be so sure about that." she gave a cute smile at the last remark "At least in the battlefield you can see your enemies, unlike in Court where things are more..." Eleanor paused for effect "... muddled, for a lack of a better word." she tilted her head "Tell me, Count, are you looking for allies?" she smirked slightly. Coming from such a powerful family she could afford being more candid than some of her peers, she was intrigued by the handsome Count and was interested to know his position.

Teirvonel’s smile did not reach his eyes as he gazed at the Lady before him. ”Allies can never be discounted, Lady, when one is also attempting to ensure policies you believe in are put forward and accepted. The question in that case is whether the allies you have believe in the same things or,” he took a sip of his drink, pausing and studying her as he continued, ”are simply attempting to use your presence, face, or such to have their own policy be the one advanced.”

Her smile widened "Tell me Count, what do you believe in?" she turned to the waiter who brought her beverage and thanked him, then brought the glass up and took a sip.

He sipped from his drink again. He could hear, or rather not, the conversations at the nearest tables. It was as though there was a bubble of lowered conversation around them. Given the two of them, the Count and the High Lady, he was sure that others were as interested in his answer as she was.

Setting the drink back on the table his eyes glittered as he looked into her eyes once more, ”The Realm needs stability. There are many outside forces that are always pressing, alway seaking weakness to exploit. The last thing that should be done is inside persons creating rules that weaken the strength of the Realm. Sometimes what that is may not be obvious but it needs to be done.”

She gave him a sardonic look "Spoken like a true politician." Lady Eleanor covered her mouth and chuckled softly "It seems we have managed to corrupt you after all." she fixed him with a gaze "But you intrigue me ranger, I will leave you to that." she tapped her lips with her index finger, remaining silent for a moment then finished her drink and stood up. The waiter hurried to bring her coat and hat, her stay at The Luna was shorter than she expected, but that could not be helped "It was a pleasure meeting you Count, think about the alliances." she smirked slightly "When you find the right answer you know where to find me." the Lady nodded and glided towards the door.

Teirvonel sat, calmly as the Lady stood and departed. After she left he chuckled slightly. In a low tone he muttered, ”She forgets that there is one main difference between politicians and warriors. Both may say the same thing but a warrior means the words they say and will not sway from their beliefs to follow the will of others.”

As the waitress returned to the table he paid for the drinks, having noticed that the High Lady had left nothing, again bringing a small smile to his face. Standing his gaze drifted around the room as he retrieved his sword belt, buckling it in place. Some of the faces that were turned in his direction looked back with amusement, with curiosity, with wonder. But he knew that each would have their time to discuss things with him.

He tucked the blade of his sword in closely as he negotiated the room. Pausing at the frosted glass of the door so that his eyes adjusted, he stepped outside and began the short trip back to the Palace.

TAGS: @TheAdmiral, @Darth_Elu (Mentioned)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    IC: Lady Delfina of Parnassa
    Dining Hall, the Enterprise, at Sea

The Chief Engineer led the way, and the others followed to the dining hall. Delfina could hear the gong sound, calling them to dinner. She smiled at Dr. J'andra's confession, that he was disorganized. "They say all the greatest academics are disorganized," she said. "I'll do my best to keep you squared away."

The dining hall was rather stark, and not at all what she had expected. There were several long tables, bolted to the floor, with ridges around the edges. She guessed that was to keep the plates from sliding off. The china was heavy, with the crest of the shipping company embossed on the rim of the plate, and the flatware was not real silver. There were no place cards, either, to tell people where they had been assigned. But there was a waiter, rather surly, in a none-too-clean jacket, with a pitcher.

Delfina found a spot next to Dr. J'andra, at his left. She was quite impressed by his modesty and his humble self-deprecation. So unlike ANYone at court! All of the courtiers she knew believed they were exceptional and had no qualms about making it known, whether it was true or not. This gentle man was very refreshing. She had a million questions, but the archaeologists and experts must have a lot to talk about, and she could learn a lot if she kept her mouth shot. Lieutenant Tyler was moving to take the chair on the other side of her, and she smiled encouragingly. So she was a bit overdressed --she'd thought the Adventure would be a bit more glamorous-- but she was enjoying herself immensely.

TAG: @TheAdmiral, @Darth_Elu, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Reynar_Tedros

4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Empress Maja Corioni Atreus

The Empress stared at the Jester with pursed lips. He had the unique ability to tug certain strings in her soul “Watch your place, Jester...” she hissed acidly. But he had a point, there would be a need to have her husband observed, but there was no way she would admit that to the hooded figure in front of her. “You are to listen and observe for now, let me worry about what is to be done.” she shooed him away, the Empress wanted to finish her tea in peace so that she could process all of the information that she had gotten.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

IC: Princess Jori Atreus

“Oh, he will cooperate.” Jori smirked, but did not say that even though she was the Princess the Butler followed a different chain of command leading up to her parents. That would be problematic as she did not want them to know of her activities and bringing the detective to the palace that made her turn to the duo “Just a simple request, when you first come to the Palace, please hand in the invitation that you will receive as this meeting here had never happened. There and then I will make it official that you are to conduct a certain investigation at my behest.” the Princess smiled sweetly, waiting for their confirmation that they had understood before she could leave...

TAG: @Darth_Elu

IC: Prince Arturias Atreus
    Location: On-board the HIMAS “Aquila”, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

The Prince agreed with what the Captain was saying “Well your job is to keep me safe.” he grinned and winked. The whole situation made him chuckle softly “Don’t get me wrong, I take the situation seriously enough, but I find it amusing that a man who stays away from politics can think like a politician.”

His face turned serious again, “Do you have officers and crewmen that you can trust?” he whispered “My father is right that we need commissars, political officers to vet out the traitors.” he knew that the military did not relish the idea of having such people run around and muddle the waters, but in this case they would be needed if they were to maintain order.

“Don’t worry Captain, I think this will just be a short trip and then we can go home to Basileus.”

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox

5. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Morrigan

The beautiful brunette mage was waiting for Lady Talathee to arrive. Her servant had let her in, given that she was the Imperial Family’s personal mage, reading the stars, making potions, giving advice in arcane matters. Morrigan was very curious to meet with this enigmatic newcomer to the Court. She had to go through the palatial library to find accounts of those distant lands from where the Lady hailed from. The word magicite excited her and she wished to learn more about it and added to the fact that those accounts mentioned that those people were very adept in magic and had high affinity for it. Fascinating people for sure. Morrigan fidgeted in her seat, trying not to appear too impatient and sipped from the cup of herbal tea that the servants had made for her.

[​IMG]

TAG: @greyjedi125

IC: Grand Cleric of the Aeldari Ulthwe
    Location: Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

Ulthwe, of course, observed the exchange via one of the many crystal orbs. He felt giddy at the Primarch’s berating of the Patriarch. Only a sycophant, like the Grand Cleric, revelled in seeing another servant of their Master put in his place. The Lady though intrigued him and he looked forward to working with her more closely. The portal display was impressive, yes, it will be very interesting working together.

Once he saw that the Patriarch was alone Ulthwe decided to rub it in, some gloating never hurts. At least the one who was doing it.

“I found this amusing article in today’s paper.” he announced as he entered the room and handed the Patriarch a fresh copy of Telegraph, one of the local tabloids. It featured a relatively good sketch of a bald human like creature with a bombastic title “THE SOUL SUCKING VAMPIRE STRIKES AGAIN” “I suppose this is your doing?” Ulthwe smirked and asked.
    [​IMG]

TAG: @Shadowsun

IC: the Bookseller
    Location: Alley near the Luna, The Fountain of Knowledge Bookstore

The old man gave a small indulgent smile. It was surely an interesting reversal of what he intended, maybe the man’s fate will be revealed through him. “Of course, my lord.” he gave a small nod as they entered the book shop.

The Bookseller moved around on instinct. He pulled a leathery volume “The Necronomicon perhaps?” he offered “No, too morbid...” he murmured to himself then pulled another book “The Princess Bride?” the old man observed the fairie’s reaction “Perhaps not… The Wheel of Time?” he gave a soft chuckle “Too bloated. The Malazan Book of the Dead.” the Bookseller pursed his lips “No, too confusing.” then pulled another volume “The Riftwar Chronicles...” then his face brightened and put back the last book to pull another “I think I have found something for you.” it was a beautiful looking book with the title Grim Fairy Tales “I know people say that it is for children, but there is enough wisdom accessible for grown ups.” he gave an enigmatic smile.

6. Jerjerrod-Lennox

Jerjerrod-Lennox Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Milos Terric
    Location: Bridge, HIMAS Aquila, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

“Don’t get me wrong, I take the situation seriously enough, but I find it amusing that a man who stays away from politics can think like a politician.”

Terric had to snort at that one. “Please don't lump me in with those lot” he said but there was a small smile at that “If I ever do start thinking like a politician I think I would rather shoot myself than be like that. My tactical nouse is better used in situations like this and in the Navy itself. Not in a court where you it’s more cloak and dagger stuff. At least in the field as it were it’s a little bit easier to see what your enemy may do and if they could spring any surprises.”

Of course being a military man he still had to turn up in court sometimes. And it was amusing how sometimes some people could be so sycophantic, others plain hostile to each other. He mostly kept himself to himself and just kept a watchful eye on things. It was like watching a tactical chess game at work but mostly it was just to watch them falling over themselves to get a piece of the pie.

But the Prince turned serious “Do you have officers and crewmen that you can trust?” he whispered “My father is right that we need commissars, political officers to vet out the traitors.”

All of a sudden this was taking a rather serious and surreal turn. Political officers? If they brought them out it could either bring the traitors out and they would just kick up a fight or they could go into hiding. Or maybe just escalate things further. Tactically this could be a dangerous move. And if they were running around demanding and basically drumming loyalty messages into them again and again then there would be resentment towards both him and the Prince. One for letting them on board in the first place, two for giving them all the power in the world to detain, question and even throw them off the ship for an all expenses paid trip back home and a prison cell, even execution.

“Don’t worry Captain, I think this will just be a short trip and then we can go home to Basileus.”

Terrific whispered back his eyes flashing “Of course I have officers and crewmen I trust but if we bring political officers on board that trust could be jeopardized. If we are to root out the traitors it needs to be stealthy, it needs to be done right. Because otherwise we could end up with a mutiny on our hands. And if we are about to go into battle with the Lizards then we need to have everyone ready and on board, working at their best. I would rather do a fly past with the Lizards without any bloodshed and then head home to root these traitors out”.

He narrowed his eyes “These are still my officers and my crew until they are ratted out as traitors. And I can not and will not have my authority challenged by loyalty officers running around thinking they are the be all and end all. Let’s wait at least until we return home. But if they decide to show themselves now? Then we will deal with them and hope the trustworthy ones have our backs”

TAG: @TheAdmiral

7. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Jedi Master star 3

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch
    Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

He could sense the immense amount of magical energy behind him as he turned to gaze upon the portal Kardis had conjured.

She doesn't cease to impress he grinned to himself. He did wonder where she had gone off to, although he was sure it would not be long till they crossed paths once again. He then silently groaned to himself as Ulthwe returned, and of course accompanied by his childish goading. The Father of the Holy Order was above such things and paid little attention to it.

“I found this amusing article in today’s paper. I suppose this is your doing?”

The Patriarch inspected the tabloid, and chuckled upon the seeing the front page. Indeed it was his doing, he could not believe the mortals were so foolish.

"Isn't it wonderful when we can both enjoy something?" He laughed again, not the comforting, warm laugh like that of a dwarf but a cold, deep laugh filled with sinister undertones.

"This is auspicious news is it not? With this and the leak of where the misguided dragons are located, there should be plenty of chaos within the empire and Basileus to dramatically increase out activities and production of synthetic Draconium"

He paused for a moment looking to Ulthwe, gauging his reaction. No need to over agitate him, for now their goals were in alignment.

"While knowledge of the synthetic variety has been kept under wraps for quite some time I fear that it is only a matter of time before someone starts poking their nose in the wrong place, we need to be prepared for that eventuality."

He then walked back over to his large elaborate desk, drumming his fingers upon its surface. There was still the issue of the Proles and Human First groups. He needed to find a way to make them turn against one another as per the Primarch's instructions. The Proles were on the brink of uprising, heated and agitated.

"Ulthwe, you are aware of the Proles and Human First groups, yes?" He paused again for a moment allowing the Aeldari to respond quickly before continuing.

"They are fundamentally, ideologically opposed to one another. Are they not?" He brought his armored glove to his chin, stroking the chin of his mask. "If we were to spread propaganda between these groups to unveil and deepen these preexisting tensions between them I think that would be more than enough to turn them against each other. Your thoughts on the matter?"

The Patriarch was well aware of what this could lead to. He anticipated the Proles would likely rise up and have some sort of revolt. No doubt quickly crushed by the Imperial Government but it would certainly leave lasting mark on the Empire. The Human First groups maybe more of an issue, their blind ignorance may get in the way of what The Patriarch was trying to achieve but for now they would serve their purpose.

TAG: @TheAdmiral @greyjedi125 (mentioned)

8. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Lady Kardis Talathee
    Lady Talathee’s Nobles Apartments, Basileus City

[​IMG]

Inside a flash, Kardis was once again within her luxurious apartments. Meeting with the Patriarch and the Primarch, well, it was admittedly more than she had anticipated at this juncture in her sojourn to the city of Basileus.

Although her own mission had yet to offer a single bud, she now had in her possession a gift from the Patriarch himself; a ‘man’ who was arguably one of the most influential figures in Basileus, as well as one of the most powerful mages of all - notwithstanding his mysterious identity.

From the Patriarch, she'd received a directive to find find missing pages from the Book of Elisander, pages that would lead them to unveil the mysteries to Ancient Ones. What, pray tell, did the Primarch want with such knowledge? Well, there was one definitive path to that answer. Of course, acquiring the pages first was likely the best way of satiating that particular curiosity.

Kardis, turned upon the dais within the hidden room with its quilted red colored walls, and stepped down, then silently moved through and illusory wall and into a side hall.

The exhilaration she felt was palpable, her eyes glinted with anticipation and excitement- that is- until she felt a foreign presence inside her residence.

Hmmm.

An uninvited Magic User was within her walls.

Most intriguing….

The fact that the magic user she sensed was still alive meant they had not attempted to invade or force their way into her home. Doing so would prove to be a rather…fatal mistake, given the protective wards she’d set up against such intrusion. Only an Arcane greater than herself could possibly best these protections - that is - if they could figure them out in time.

Kardis rhythmic footfall upon the marble floors now announced her, as was her intention. Several servants immediately rushed over to inquire as to her pleasure, as well as to inform her about her visitor now waiting in the Receiving Room.

“My Lady, you have a visitor, The Imperial Family’s Personal Mage: Lady Morrigan awaits in the Receiving Room.” A young manservant declared, devotion shining in his eyes.

“You don’t say?”

With a graceful gesture, she dismissed them for the moment, nodding once as she acknowledged the many bows and curtsies. Kardis did not wish to be announced, especially since there had been no official arrangement made beforehand. Besides, now that she had the name of the Imperial Mage, her curiosity was greatly piqued.

For that very reason, she saw no point in keeping her guest waiting.

Kardis approached with sublime poise and an awe-inspiring air of confidence, even as she stepped into the well upholstered Receiving Room.

“Lady Morrigan…” Kardis intoned with charm and open amiability, her demeanor easy.

“I bid you welcome to my home.”

A winning smile was offered. Kardi’s metallic eyes took an ‘artistic’ appraisal of Lady Morrigan. The Imperial Mage was quite comely for a human, and one that favored the color of Ravens and Dusk, adorned with ornaments of Silver. It was a style she could certainly appreciate.

“To what do I owe the honor of your most auspicious visit?”

There was an almost ‘knowing’ edge to Lady Talathee’s tone, but that could just be a trick of the imagination playing on the minds of any who listened.

Tag: @TheAdmiral

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Zanna Wai'leena
    Orkon Boulevard, Basileus

Zanna followed behind Andrath, listening closely as the Princess spoke. When she spoke about wanting to keep her meeting with them a secret, that feeling came over her once again. Why such secrecy? Did the Royal family not want to be seen in light with such a thing? She came to them, instead of bringing them to the palace. Another interesting issue. Perhaps someone did not want such things to be discussed. There were so many things that could be complicating the matter. But for the Princess wishes, that of course would defer to Andrath.

Once outside, Zanna noted the area once more. She looked at the Ork driver, and the lavish car, before looking at Andrath. If she wanted privacy, she certainly could have arrived in something a little more... plain. The car and Orc driver stood out like a sore thumb. And of course, if anyone was interested in making sure that there was no investigation, well, she just lit a giant arrow pointing right towards them.

Still, a fascinating case. She would be interested to hear Andrath's take on all of it.

TAG: @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral
    OOC: even if you didnt tag me! :p

10. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    OOC: Unfortunately @Reynar_Tedros informed that he has to step down, so for now Keela will be at another part of the ship and will be on a separate mission after they disembark so that he could retake her if he decides to rejoin :) Oh, I am sorry @Ktala I knew I was missing something.

IC: Chief Engineer Mieli Hartsson, Lieutenant Tyler Petreus
    On-board the exploration vessel “Enterprise”

Tyler felt warmth seeing how gracious Lady Delfina was with her companions. He hoped that this attitude would survive their journeys as the Lieutenant had a bad feeling that things were not exactly how his grandfather had said. Though admittedly, the Old Man might be ignorant of it as well. Or maybe Tyler was just too pessimistic about the whole expedition.

It was a common misconception that military men craved adventure, but the truth was that they knew how fickle life can be. They also knew how short it was and how shorter it could get if you were not careful. He was worried that some of the scientists might try something foolish. The Pascale person seemed experienced enough, maybe he could talk to him, to help him reign in the others. The Felinoid seemed humble and composed, though you can never tell with his kind. The elven girl… He frowned, she was nowhere to be seen. When did she slip away!?

Good thing they were on a ship in the middle of the ocean, nowhere to run. A crewman pushed a trolley with food. Nothing too fancy, but nutritious and tasty enough. Seafood, some salads and pudding for dessert.

Mieli had disappeared into the galley where shouts of anger could be heard. The dwarf reappeared pushing a keg of ale “Shut ya trap, will ya!” he screamed at the cook who threw a metal cup at him. The dwarf ducked and grumbled “The s…” he paused realizing there was a lady at the table “... was hidin the good stuff from me!” he grinned “Good thing I know his hiding spots!” he guffawed “Can someone help me pick the keg up, there is a small spout.”

The windows of the mess hall were well positioned to allow for the merry band of explorers to see the darkening clouds coming from the North. Some crewmen could swear they saw a shadowy figure for a split second and a certain sense of dread, but that must be because of the primordial fear of storms. Right?

[​IMG]

TAG: @Darth_Elu @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Mistress_Renata

IC: Paper Boy

[​IMG]

He was one of the thousands of street urchins running around the city underbelly, eating the crumbs falling from the tables of the rich, adding to their transgressions were occasional pickpocketing, shoplifting and petty acts of vandalism. Some had respectable professions of selling the daily newspapers shouting the titles of the articles, at least the ones that could read.

“LIZARDMEN IN MACKLEBURG, FRIENDS OR FOES?”

He walked around holding a paper “SOULSUCKING VAMPIRE STRIKES AGAIN!”

Occasionally a gentleman would give him a copper crown for a newspaper. He would bite it to check whether it was real or not, not that he could do anything about it though. After all he was an urchin and the police would certainly side with a gentleman.

“MAN MADE OUT OF CLAY STALKS THE CEMETERIES! ARE THE DEAD RISING!?”

He had another job too, observing interesting things that happen on the street. Interesting things and interesting people too. Selling to the highest bidder, like a certain scary man with a mask or that elven detective and his fairie assistant. Despite being a dreg he knew some of the famous people, after all he read the papers after he was done.

He saw one such face, a Count or whatever fancy title he had. “Do you want a paper, sir?” he approached the man. “There is a metal man stalking the cities at night! You can read that only in the Telegraph!”

TAG: @darthbernael

IC: Emperor Leopold V Atreus, State Security Director Erast Fandorin

Commander Richtoff stopped him as he was about to leave. He frowned slightly for a moment at what he was suggesting. “The suggestion has some merits.” the Emperor said non-committedly “You should discuss it among yourselves and come up with a suggestion.”

TAG: @Shadowsun @Master Vo'Un'Var

11. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    OOC: Will get a post up as my other two characters soon, I promise!

Andrath Inageiros IC:

~Mind’s Rest, Basileus~

Once at the door, Princess Jori gave a sweet smile, one born of a lifetime of practice no doubt, and gave them a rather curious little request.

“Just a simple request, when you first come to the Palace, please hand in the invitation that you will receive as this meeting here had never happened. There and then I will make it official that you are to conduct a certain investigation at my behest.”

Andrath inclined his head in a small bow as he responded amiably enough. “Of course, Your Highness. We shall make sure to do just that when we arrive. Please, rest easy in that this case will be solved as soon as possible and you can now partake of the day as you wish.”

As soon as the Princess began making her descent and the bodyguard took his position by her side, ensuring her safety, the detective turned and shut the door.

“Come, Zanna. It is time we acted quickly.”

Leading her swiftly back to the study on the second floor of his home, he motioned for his faerie assistant to move toward the window.

“Could you look after the Princess’ retreating vehicle, if you please. Note the direction in which it heads, that would be helpful.”

As she did so, he had already begun to get to work. Unpacking? What unpacking? There was a case! Any tiredness from the last one all but forgotten as the new one at his feet revitalized like sleep never could. Ah, how he lived for this.

Grasping the vial of synthetic draconium, he held it in his palm for a moment, seemingly just staring at it. Then:

“Of course, yes.”

Setting it down, he maneuvered to where he kept his own vial of true draconium and pulled it out, setting it right next to the synthetic one. Furthermore, he pulled a little piece of blue tape and set it on the synthetic one, just incase.

As he began to peer at the two of them, searching for any differences. Or indeed, exactly how similar they truly were; he spoke further to Zanna as she gazed out the window without looking over.

“So…What are you thinking? Your thoughts. I can hear them buzzing around from over here. It’s distracting, best to get them out.”

A flash of a smile as he continued staring at the vials, then proceeded to switching on his green desk lamp and look at them under more concentrated light.

Quite similar indeed. Remarkable really.

Still, anyone who creates a counterfeit has a reason to do so. And almost always in a rush to accomplish said reason, no matter what it was. Money, control, power. It didn’t matter. So there was bound to be a difference somewhere he could exploit. A difference or differences he needed to know.

The two vials were soon to undergo a vast array of tests that none had likely deigned to put them under before. It would be exquisitely revealing, in many ways. Still, first things first.

Tag: Zanna, Power of the GM @Ktala @TheAdmiral

12. Jerjerrod-Lennox

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Pascale Rouser

Clearly the feline was getting excited at finding new species and Pascale’s enthusiasm for the trip ahead seemed to have rubbed off.

And I hope you get your wish my feline comrade he thought I think we are all bound to see and get some surprises along the way….

Meanwhile the young noble looking lady was leading the way, she was still chatting to Doctor Giniro mostly complimenting about something. Of course Pascale had arrived late to the party so wasn't as well versed with his new companions yet unlike it seemed the other two. So he kept quiet mostly involved with his own thoughts.

It mostly involved the book he now had. Of course pages were missing but the book itself would tell tales of a land not explored in a long time, parts of which had probably never been explored and were about to be found. All for the good of the Empire it seemed. But anything he found artefact or treasure wise he would study and then given over to the other experts when he was done with them. Maybe keep one or two for himself especially if they were worth a lot of money…

Would have to get past that rather shifty looking head of security.

Being as he had been on expeditions before he was used to ships and travelling on vehicles that left a lot to be desired decor wise. This dining room was no exception. The noble looking woman had already taken her place next to Giniro and the security man was sitting next to her. Pascale had to inwardly at that, none of them had even invited him to take a seat at the table they had already made themselves comfortable. How impolite he thought.

He decided to sit near Giniro the felonoid at least had been agreeable to talk with him at present. Maybe they could discuss some things over dinner and maybe he would get to know both ladies….

Hang on, it was now just the noble lady. Where had the elven looking female gone? It seems one person has decided dinner was not for them. A shame, I would have liked to have gotten to chat to her and find out what she wanted from this adventure. Especially if she knows a thing or two about archeology…

The food looked alright, Pascale wasn't particularly into fine dining, especially if you were on your own in the middle of nowhere and had to eat what you could. Even though he tried to make his camping as close to civilized as possible. Might as well enjoy it while he could, after ll you didn't know when you would next get a decent meal….

The dwarf had meanwhile disappeared into the kitchen and there was a lot of cursing and what sounded like a bit of an altercation. The dwarf asked for assistance to pick the keg up. Pascale shook his head “Rather too heavy for me my dwarf friend, although I would have thought a man with your strength could easily pick it up. After all, the lady here is probably thirsty for a drink as we all our. A last chance to savour the good stuff before we depart.”

He then waggled his finger, smiling “And you forgot to say please, there are ladies and cultured gentlemen present”.

Something caught his eye and as he turned to the mess hall windows he saw the dark clouds approaching from the North. It looked like a storm was on its way. And some of the crew were now looking a bit nervous.

“That however” Pascale said pointing to the windows and the approaching storm “does not look good. I hope some of you have you sea legs because it looks like it’s about to get rough. I’ve been in some forests and jungles where there have been some mighty storms, this one looks no exception…..”

TAG: @TheAdmiral , @Darth_Elu , @Mistress_Renata

13. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Cinna Crystalglade IC:
    ~The Fountain of Knowledge Bookstore, Alley near The Luna~

The man’s reply was actually a little surprising, truth be told. Most would be taken aback and not sure how to respond to his little swift wit. And his challenge might be seen as a bit much, with a stammered ‘not sure about all that, but I do have this’ or ‘have that’.

Instead, this old timer simply smiled and replied with a ‘Of course, my lord.’

How intriguing! Delightful.

Deciding he rather liked this man, he returned his smile. “Then lead on, my friend. Pray be, what shall you seek for me?”

He followed him into the shop, watching as the man moved instinctively as one bookseller should in their own domain. Indeed, any one person in their own domain. After a bit, he came to the right area, though he remained a little unsure of which specifically to offer.

“The Necronomicon perhaps?”

Necromancy? Dear me. Though, Cinna had heard tales of a legendary book with a similar name. Surely it could not be the very same, could it? Didn’t matter, the man realized it wasn’t a good fit as well and moved on, his instinct driving him again. Cinna watched and waited close by.

“No, too morbid…The Princess Bride?”

Ah, an instant classic. But alas, one of the few he had already read. Imagine that. He gave a faint shake of the head in reply.

“Perhaps not…The Wheel of Time?”

Wasn’t that the series that had nearly not been finished and had taken decades to be done…or something like that. Lord Crystalglade couldn’t recall the rumors he had heard from some of other nobles, but the name sounded familiar.

“Too bloated. The Malazan Book of the Dead.”

Hm. Perhaps it had been a mistake to indulge the man after all. A pity.

“No, too confusing. The Riftwar Chronicles…”

Cinna was just about to open his mouth and begin his excuses to free himself, when the man finally seemed to alight upon something that satisfied him.

“I think I have found something for you.”

A book of great beauty, or at least as book covers go, seemed to now find itself in the man’s hands. Grim Fairy Tales. My, my. There was a pun there, one that went deeper than the man likely knew. Still, the selection was interesting to put it mildly.

“I know people say that it is for children, but there is enough wisdom accessible for grown ups.”

“Hm.”

Holding out a hand so the man could deposit the volume onto them, he looked it over for a few moments and opened the book without really looking at it. Not yet. He put a single finger to the edges of the pages and felt them as he flipped idly through.

“Hm, hm, hm. Grim Fairy Tales for a Faerie Lord. I do believe you possess a measure of good humor, my friend.”

Closing the book thoughtfully, he came to a decision and a nod.

“Yes, you know what. I think I will purchase it after all,” a sly smile and a cock of the head as he gazed at the man, “Is there anything else amongst your selection that you think fitting to bestow upon me?”

An idle whim, a little curiosity, a sudden wonder.

Tag: Bookseller @TheAdmiral

14. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Zanna Wai'leena

As Zanna watched as the Princess cleared the steps, she heard Andrath speak towards her.

“Come, Zanna. It is time we acted quickly.”

Leading her swiftly back to the study on the second floor of his home, he motioned for her to move toward the window. Zanna's wings flapped slowly as she walked over towards the window.

“Could you look after the Princess’ retreating vehicle, if you please. Note the direction in which it heads, that would be helpful.”

"Understood," she replied, as she kept a close watch on the vehicle. As she did, she could hear Andrath rustling about. She watched him moved about in his office, but she kept her eyes glued on the vehicle, her wings still slowly flapping. her Then, further to Zanna as she gazed out the window without looking over.

“So…What are you thinking? Your thoughts. I can hear them buzzing around from over here. It’s distracting, best to get them out.

Zanna chuckled at the comment. "Alright, you asked for it.." Zanna replied, not moving from her lookout vantage point.

"For one, the Princess came to us. She didn't sent it by special courier, or some trusted servant. She came here, herself. That would kind of suggest that she dosent want to get too much of the royal family involved. Or she doesn't want them to know what she knows." Zanna wiggled her fingers, her wings still moving slowly.

"Two, for someone wanting to keep it secret, she came here not trying to hide at all. Heck, I'm pretty sure the entire neighborhood saw that car roll down here. Hard to miss. Not exactly what Id call blending in. I'm sure more people knew about her trip than she told us."

Zanna looked out the window, giving a huge sigh.

Then, there is that draconium that she happened to confiscate. She stated, and I quote..“From what I understand he was exhibiting sense of paranoia, sweating, dizziness, mood swings and intermittent magical abilities, though I am not sure this low quality can bring out any worthwhile capabilities.” So she didnt see it directly."

Her wings flapped a little faster now. "And then there is the big question. Why make the stuff? If it falls under the responsibility of the Royal family to protect the pureness..that would be a big hit. If someone was trying to discredit them that would work I guess. Make people want to search out a new provider."

Zanna's wings moved slowly once more. "But this stuff has gotta be expensive to make. So someone is making this for a darker purpose than to make a buck.

Zanna grew silent as she continued to think.

15. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Giniro J’andra IC:
    ~Dining Hall, Enterprise~

This human woman, Lady Delfina, she was quite nice. Giniro found himself instantly warming to her and it wasn’t just the compliments she paid him, but also the even attention amongst the group and general aura of warmth she possessed. Was she truly a noble? Perhaps they were nothing like those of the lower classes thought after all!

The nobles were in all truth, noble. Such a simple revelation!

“They say all the greatest academics are disorganized. I’ll do my best to keep you squared away.”

The felinoid beamed as they entered the Dining Hall. Yes, he liked her greatly.

“You pay me far too much credit, Lady Delfina! But thank you, I will certainly need such aid in the days to come.”

He paused like the others to find a place to sit, not finding anywhere in particular marked out for them. Scanning quickly, he decided to just pick one of the long bolted tables and moved to sit down, pausing as he remembered his current company. He had to endeavor to be a gentlemen, at least this once!

Smiling, he turned to see Delfina coming to sit down on his left. How nice! He pulled out the chair for her, as any good gentlemen would, and then sat down next to her once she had. Now having sat down, he took stock of his companions once more. The dwarf had disappeared and so had Keela, the elven archaeologist. Where had they gone, he wondered.

“Shut ya trap, will ya!”

Well, there was Mieli at least. Giniro turned to look in the direction of the galley and there came the chief engineer with a metal cup being flung after him.

“The s…was hidin the good stuff from me! Good thing I know his hiding spots! Can someone help me pick the keg up, there is a small spout.”

Oh my. He hadn’t wished his group to start such a fuss, but what was done was done. Plus Mieli was the Chief Engineer, so he would be forgiven surely.

Pascale spoke up with a little smile. “Rather too heavy for me my dwarf friend, although I would have thought a man with your strength could easily pick it up. After all, the lady here is probably thirsty f or a drink as well all our. A last chance to savour the good stuff before we depart. And you forgot to say please, there are ladies and cultured gentlemen present.”

The keg did look quite heavy, but seeing as one member had suddenly left and now another was refusing to help…not to mention he didn’t want Lady Delfina to force herself, Giniro decided to be the one.

“I’m not the strongest, but l-let me help you then.”

He moved to do so, grunting and straining as he did so, and quite likely panting for a small moment afterwards. Strength had never been a strength of his.

“That however does not look good. I hope some of you have you sea legs because it looks like it’s about to get rough. I’ve been in some forests and jungles where there have been some mighty storms, this one looks no exception…..”

Looking toward the windows, he saw what the archaeologist meant. Those dark clouds looked nasty. He gulped.

“Hopefully they won’t be on us for a while.”

He would so hate having to eat while being tossed about in a storm. Suddenly, his eyes narrowed with their usual feline acuity for a split second. There had been a shadow of some…thing in that direction. Or had he imagined it?

Suddenly some of his fur on his neck and arms started standing on end as he slowly moved back to his seat. His felinoid instincts were telling him something was near.

Something they wouldn’t like.

Tag: Lady Delfina, Pascale Rouser, Mieli Hartsson, & Lieutenant Tyler Petreus @Mistress_Renata @Jerjerrod-Lennox @TheAdmiral

Andrath Inageiros IC:
    ~Mind’s Rest, Basileus~

“Alright, you asked for it.”

Andrath chuckled as he continued looking at the two vials under concentrated light, seeing if different colors jumped out him or anything else notable.

“So I did.”

“For one, the Princess came to us. She didn’t sent it by special courier, or some trusted servant. She came her, herself. That would kind of suggest that she doesn’t want to get too much of the royal family involved. Or she doesn’t want them to know what she knows.”

Andrath nodded, with a slight smile on his lips. “Mhm.”

“Two, for someone wanting to keep it secret, she came here not trying to hide at all. Heck, I’m pretty sure the entire neighborhood saw that car roll down here. Hard to miss. Not exactly what I’d call blending in. I’m sure more people knew about her trip than she told us.”

His smile both widened and deepened, but kept listening. With every word, Zanna showed why he had decided to keep her around ever since that day they met a little over a year ago.

“Then, there is that draconium that she happened to confiscate.”

“Yes. What are your thoughts on the matter?”

“She stated, and I quote..’From what I understand he was exhibiting sense of paranoia, sweating, dizziness, mood swings and intermittent magical abilities, though I am not sure this low quality can bring out any worthwhile capabilities.’ So she didn’t see it directly.”

Andrath paused a moment, setting the vials down and standing up though his gaze was now on the faerie woman. Thoughtful.

“And then there is the big question. Why make the stuff? If it falls under the responsibility of the Royal family to protect the pureness..that would be a big hit. If someone was trying to discredit them that would work I guess. Make people want to search out a new provider. But this stuff has gotta be expensive to make. So someone is making this for a darker purpose than to make a buck.”

The elven man nodded, “Yes indeed. Excellent memory and recital, Zanna. You are quite right about her not seeing the effects directly. Now that you bring fresh attention to that little detail, I’m realizing the implications I nearly missed initially. Hm…”

He tapped a finger to his chin and hummed a little absent-mindedly, “As for why make it? Well, that’s one of the questions we’re going to discover. But yes, there is more to it than monetary profit. Something like this? It’s a control and power game. But between whom and the exact specifics is what we’re looking for.”

Andrath began moving about the room, it was time to get his equipment ready. Mortar and pestle, some little napkins, some beakers, a nice pot he had stowed away for special purposes, same with the scientific stove he had set up and now begin to light…

“There is definitely some games being played amongst the royal family themselves alone as you also noticed,” he suddenly continued, “She wanted none to know why she came to us and yet as you noted, her vehicle coming straight to our door practically screamed her presence here. So what does that tell us?”

He paused for only a heartbeat as he adjusted the temperature on the little fire he had going.

“Simple! She was making a statement. But to whom is once again the question. People know she was here, but not why. It’ll get under their skin, lots of moving pieces in this case it would appear. We might have to be mindful of many eyes upon us even now, my friend.

“A letter of authorization to enter the Imperial Palace under the auspices of official investigative inquiry, ready to go at the start as well. With notable requirements as to when to be used. We are instruments of whatever Her Highness is up to clearly. It shall be interesting to see in what manner, but that is not for us to worry about at this time. We have future appointments with State Security and the Alchemists Guild once we have those lists I requested. Looks like we have some people in the inside in relation to the synethic supply, which is only to be expected. Furthermore I look forward to speaking with the Chief Butler. I suspect we’ll learn a lot from him. Do remember she had stated they were trying to cover it up as well.”

He paused now as he had moved about rummaging for a few other things, chemicals securely placed inside other vials most recently, when he realized…

“Ice!” It was almost like the world suddenly had come to an end.

ICE! Zanna, I need you to get our lovely Housekeeper and request some ice quickly while I get things situated in here. How could I forget to get the ice…”

Honestly, one would be justified in wondering why it was such a dire issue, but then Andrath had his own little quirks when the fever of a new case was upon him.

Tag: Zanna & Housekeeper @Ktala @TheAdmiral

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Lady Delfina of Parnassa
    Dining hall, Enterprise, at Sea

It was a very pleasant dinner. Delfi was enjoying the company. The conversation was general, not as formal as at Court, where a lady would be expected to talk to the gentleman on her right for the first course and to the left on the second. Everyone at the table chatted in a convivial manner. Dr. Rouser had told them a bit about the Ancient Ones and his past work, and Lt. Tyler had been very attentive. Lady Keela had disappeared. Delfi was disappointed; she wanted to know more about the other woman’s family and her work. But the sea was kicking up and perhaps the lady was suffering from mal de mer and had returned to her cabin.

The food was basic, but well prepared and the seafood was very fresh. The cook might have pulled it out of the ocean that morning! Very tasty and if it wasn’t as grand as the table of the Imperial Court, it was much better than the school dinners at Miss Malwort’s Establishment, which were invariably brown, covered in thick gravy, and tasted the same, whatever might have been written on the menu.

Dr. J’Andra rose to help the Chief Engineer haul a massive keg of something which was no doubt alcoholic into the room. Delfi had a glass of wine and decided to stick to that. Grandmama always said no good came of mixing liquors. She was spooning up the last of her dessert –some sort of soft fruit with cake and custard, quite delicious!—when Dr. Rouser stood and pointed to the window.

“That however, does not look good. I hope some of you have you sea legs because it looks like it’s about to get rough. I’ve been in some forests and jungles where there have been some mighty storms, this one looks no exception...” he said.

Dr. J’Andra straightened, having done his best to help with the heavy keg. He looked towards the window, and his whiskers twitched involuntarily. “Hopefully they won’t be on us for a while,” he replied. As he sat back down, Delfi couldn’t help but notice that his fur was on end, all puffed out.

She put her spoon down and peered through the window. When the lightning struck, the sky turned an angry pink, and there was…a shape? The sea was pitching up harder, and she finished her wine quickly, for fear it would spill. Then she rose, and carefully moved to the window for a closer look. There! Another flash of lightning and it was there again!

She turned to the group. “I hope I’m not imagining things, but I thought…it looks like… there seems to be something there in the storm. You can see the silhouette against the sky when the lighting flashes, look! It looks…almost like a machine of some sort. But it couldn't be, could it?”

TAG: @TheAdmiral, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Darth_Elu

17. darthbernael

darthbernael Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Combo with our brilliant GM

IC Teirvonel Vanhetgoud
    On the way back to the Palace

He had taken a slightly more circumspect route on his return to the Palace. Doing so often allowed him to see things, or get a better feel for the currents of thought of the citizens of the capital, at least those thoughts they’d willingly let be aired as an obvious noble walked through their midst. When he had more time to prepare he could often hear more, not appearing as he did now. His musings were interrupted for the moment, as he walked by one of the numerous urchins that dotted the streets calling out to him.

“Do you want a paper, sir? There is a metal man stalking the cities at night! You can read that only in the Telegraph!”

He stopped, directing his gaze at the young person, eyes taking in subtle details. The fact the urchin was a paper seller told him that he was at least semi literate. Which made him consider if he was one of those that many used to gather intelligence on others as they went about their business in the city.

Untying and reaching into his belt pouch his nimble fingers sorted through the coins. A flicker of a smile crossed his face as they chose one and flicked it to the young man. Retying the pouch he went to pick one paper from the stack, then paused. ”Go ahead and test that if you wish. But then check the color and understand what that means. I shall wait.”

The boy grinned and checked the coin anyway, it was genuine "Thank you, sir!" he exclaimed and handed him the paper "By the way, sir, we street kids see a lot of interesting things on the street! Maybe you need such services?" he grinned and fidgeted a bit while anticipating the answer.

A fractional smile touched Teirvonel’s face. The urchin was just as he’d thought. One hand came up and stroked his short beard as he thought for a moment. The smile broadened and his hand dropped.

”Information is a valuable resource, yes, as long as it is valid.”

His finger gestured at the coin, ”That’s a gold piece, a special one. There would be more to come should you be able to provide such information. The reason why they are special is that they have the property that as long as you provide useful information they will exist. But if someone pays you to feed me false information the gold will vanish piece by piece with each falsehood.”

He glanced at the headline of the paper, the blazon about the Iron Man stalking cities by night, ”I have known many in your position, even had some serve with me, and I know you can find things others could not. So, hmmm,” he stroked his chin once more, ”the first item I desire more information about is Lady Eleanor Al’meera and the faction she leads at Court. Five more of those gold pieces when you find that information and deliver it to me.”

He reached into a separate pouch on his belt, pulling out a small disc, flipping it to the boy the design flashed in the air, a stylized golden serpent on shield bar sinister. ”Show this to the Palace guard and they will know you are in my service and guide you to me.”

The boy grinned greedily, he was not listening to all the babble, though he heard about the money and the target "Is that the rich pretty lady?" he asked and looked at him. He was not sure what he wanted to know, so he was going to gather anything that he could find and just dump it on the man, hopefully that would bring him the money. Also the Masked Man and the Detective, they could be interested in this. He might not know much, but he knew that there was no way that this man would learn that other people will know about their arrangement.

A small smile crossed Teivonel’s face at the question. The insolence of the urchin was not truly a surprise. He glanced up and down the street, before he leaned in closely. No other’s were close enough to see what happened next, save the child. He smiled at the boy and for a moment his mouth seemed filled with sharp teeth and his normally icy blue eyes shone with a golden light before his expression returned to normal. The incident passed so rapidly even the urchin could be forgiven if he didn’t realize what had happened.

In a slightly more guttural voice than normal, ”You tell me, young man, as you’re providing the information and it had better be true information.” His inflections normalizing, he straightened up, looking down at the boy, ”Do not forget that token or the guards will not let you reach me.”

He tucked the newspaper under one arm and began to turn, as though to continue his walk back to the Palace before he looked over his shoulder at the boy, his expression, in profile returning to what it had been when he’d bent in front of the boy, the golden eye winking, and then he was just himself, ”I would be sorely disappointed to find that you’ve sold the fact that I am having her researched to anyone else, you are not my only source of information in the City, after all.”

He nodded to the boy, a finger touching his brow, then turned back toward the Palace.

The boy blinked, not sure what just happened, but there was a feeling of dread washing all over him. He nodded enthusiastically, sweating profusely. There was a sense of primordial terror rising inside, that man must be a powerful mage! The only other person who made him so terrified was the Masked Man, but he never showed such tricks! That meant that he would not be able to sell the information to anyone else, if the man was so powerful he will surely find out "I won't sir! I won't!" he kept nodding and then without saying anything more just turned and ran away, a couple of papers falling, he didn't care, he just wanted to be away from this horrible man, to whom he foolishly sold his services.

Meanwhile the front page of the paper the man had bought there was the beginning of an article about the Lizardmen's presence and what it meant for the Empire. At the end of the paragraph there was written continued on pages 2-3. That meant that it was the most important piece of news. It was aptly written, but with some glaring mistakes about the history and the culture of the Lizardmen. They painted them as mindless savages, a blatant lie, or maybe it was lack of knowledge? The Lizards were as sophisticated as the other races, their governmental structure was complex, their culture rich and vibrant, their sense of belonging and loyalty stronger than that of the humans!

What the article did not answer was, why? Why now?

The corner of Teirvonel’s mouth turned up as he heard the rapid patter of footsteps behind him. His little display had had the effect he’d desired. As he walked he read the front page and the article about the Lizardmen caught his eye. A snort came from him as he read what the initial blurb said about them. It was written in such a style it was less information than it was propaganda. Whoever was behind it certainly desired to turn the citizens of the Realm against the Lizards.

He stopped by a streetlamp, flipping the paper open and turning it to the second page. Continuing toward the Palace he read further into the article. ’Most of this is blatant lies.’ he thought.

Finding a spot that offered a defensive position, should he need it, he leaned against a wall, only partially reading the article now. A good part of his mind was reminiscing of his time in Lizard country. He’d dealt with them as a Ranger, and found them quite the opposite of how the article spoke. Memories of acting as a human that lived in their territory and scouting villages and cities spoke of a race that was worthy of standing as its own Kingdom or as a productive part of the Realm. When he’d had to cross swords with their warriors he’d also found them honorable warriors and willing to accept an honorable parole if defeated or keep him as a honored hostage when he was defeated.

Breaking out of his reverie he shook his head, checking his surroundings before returning to his original course. Finishing the article made him wonder who or what faction was behind the blatant pack of lies that was in it. Another thing to discover in his inquiries. He returned to the front page and continued scanning the headlines as he walked.

18. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Morrigan

Morrigan managed a cordial smile as she rose. She remembered her wild days, when she was just another witch of the wild, living near some ancient ruins in the swamp. Back then she would have snapped a sarcastic remark and would have gone directly to business. That was before she joined the group led by a Grey Knight Warden. That group was an anachronism from a bygone age. They were an offshoot of the Rangers, though with bigger ties to the Throne and with less liberties.

Amaya, that was the Warden’s name. They were hunting down some Dragon cultists, Black and Blood Magic practitioners. The Grey Knight recognized her talents and asked her to join them. That was the day things changed. Now that she was married to Amaya, she had to move to Basileus, even study in the Mage Academy. That was the most annoying thing as she knew more than even some of her teachers. But it was worth it.

Now she was facing this enigmatic elf, or was it a half-elf? It did not matter, what mattered was what the woman could share with her.

“Lady Talathee...” Morrigan managed a curtsy, though there was a pang of annoyance of having to do that “I hope I do not come at the wrong time.” she managed a small smile “It is mostly a courtesy visit, to welcome you to the Court, on behalf of the Imperial Mages and to extend a hand of friendship and to express our hopes that we can be of use to one another in our pursuit of greater knowledge of the arcane.” Morrigan was cringing inside, she hated that political speech, but she had gotten into trouble before for not holding her tongue. Not that she was afraid, but did not want to lose her access to this intriguing Lady.

TAG: @greyjedi125

IC: Grand Cleric of the Aeldari Ulthwe
    Location: Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

The Aeldari gave an indulgent chuckle “Indeed, it is good to find some common ground.” he said with an amused voice. “Though we do not want the Empire to crumble too fast.” Ulthwe cautioned and mused for a second “I assume that you are getting closer to making a pure synthetic draconium, that is not addictive?” he tilted his head “We do not want the Primarch to become a common junkie, like those street vagabonds like to call them.” the Grand Cleric made an enigmatic smile that could be interpreted in multiple ways one of which is I am watching you, but it could also be interpreted as an invitation, a solution to the problem of the Great Dragon as the Primarch was also known. After all if someone manages to get him addicted, that individual will be the master of them all and the Primarch his puppet.

The Grand Cleric moved towards a carafe and poured himself some wine. He listened to what the Patriarch was telling him. “Indeed.” he started non-committanly “But I think they should come to play at the right moment.” Ulthwe said carefully “Right now the Empire has enough forces to squash a potential uprising. We should send word to our allies in the North, to stir some trouble, also the Lizards can be very useful.” then his face brightened “There are celebrations coming, maybe we can sour them a bit, with some unrest? Hmm.” he referred to the Founding Day, the date when the Empire was formed over the carcass of the old world “Though Lady Eleanor, or whatever she likes to call herself now will pose a problem.” he made a sour face.

TAG: @Shadowsun

IC: the Bookseller, Lady Eleanor Al’meera
    Location: Alley near the Luna, The Fountain of Knowledge Bookstore

The Bookseller gave an indulgent chuckle “It was unintended, milord.” which was not exactly true, fate had brought him to this book, there was a purpose in it, though its exact nature will be revealed only to the reader. “Excellent, sir!” given the quality of the covers, the paper and its rarity, it was going to bring him a hefty sum, though that was not the prime purpose. “Hmm, let me think for a moment.” he tapped his index finger on his lips thinking then turned around, letting instinct guide him. This time it will be only one title… “Here it is!” he handed him an old looking book, not as flashy as the other one, its title was The Hyborian Age “It is a collection of ancient myths and stories from before the time of the Dragons. It mentions long dead civilizations of the Lemurians, the Atlanteans. We know it as the Age of Darkness, but the Dragon Elisander chose a different term, hence the title.”

He looked behind the man’s shoulder, there stood Lady Eleanor Al’meera, her face unreadable as usual, though he could see a hint of humour in her eyes. She must have slipped in silently “I see you have found yourself another victim.” she chuckled softly “Spreading knowledge in this day and age of moving pictures, radios and newspapers.” she made a sarcastic look.

19. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Lady Kardis Talathee
    Lady Talathee Nobles Apartments, Basileus City

Kardis’ beautiful face was adorned with a radiant smile and her eyes sparkled as she simply watched Lady Morrigan introduce herself.

The Imperial Family’s Personal Mage, then.

The fact that Morrigan was visibly discomfited by all the courtly pump and circumstance did not escape her notice at all, and suggested another story, that of someone who was not used to such things, especially given her high position. It was quite curious, in fact, it was somewhat amusing. Kardis could sense that Morrigan possessed great Arcane ability, her own tattoos pulsed softly at her proximity. Aside from The Patriarch, Morrigan was the second person she had met so far with seemingly comparative Arcane potential.

The other nameless mages she had come across since her arrival on Basileus had not even merited a curious glance from her.

Pity.

The introductory sentiment was pleasant enough and simultaneously curious. Kardis had a good idea what was meant by ‘pursuit of greater knowledge’. This was good, things were proceeding at she had hoped.

“Please, Lady Kardis will do. There is no need to be so formal, as we are not officially at Court. A courtesy visit needs not be so…stifling.”

Kardis chuckled softly and encouraged Morrigan to sit with a graceful gesture of her hand.

At that moment, a handsome male servant came into the room with a beverage cart with prepared cups of tea. Kardis simply nodded and he left the cart nearby, before dutifully departing, a touch of blush visible upon his fare face.

“Thank you for the kind welcome.” Kardis intoned with characteristic charm and good nature. “I would very much like to visit the Halls of the Imperial Mages, if such a request can be granted, as you say, in the interest of exchanging Arcane knowledge and its further pursuits.”

Kardis gestured casually and the beverage cart moved closer to the two ladies, so they both had easy access to it.

“Please.” The beautiful half-elf made an indication for Morrigan to refill her own cup if she so wished, while serving herself half a cup of the aromatic and savory liquid.

“I would like to know more about the Imperial Mages, of course….” She began saying in an easy and more familiar tone. “But I became recently acquainted with a most intriguing and enigmatic figure here in Basileus City. Perhaps you have heard of him; he is known as The Patriach.”

Kardis leaned back in her comfortable divan and took a sip of her tea.

“What can you tell me about him?” She inquired, giving Morrigan a half smile and a slight shrug, which communicated her ‘newcomer’s’ curiosity.

Tag: @TheAdmiral

[face_tee_hee]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  20. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Prince Arturias Atreus
    Location: On-board the HIMAS “Aquila”, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

The Prince gave a mock offended look “But Captain, I am one of them too!” his lips extended in a wide mischievous grin. He then gave a small chuckle “But I do share your sentiment about politicians.” he sighed. Arturias wished he had never been born as part of the Imperial Family. He longed for a simple life, though he also wanted adventure and excitement. If only he could join the crew of the Enterprise and their journey towards the places where no one had dared to go before. The frontier…

“Oh, I am not talking about now.” he gave a sad smile “I don’t like the idea either, but I am afraid time is running short.” the Prince pursed his lips then gave a brief grin “If I were an old man I would have said that I feel it in my bones.” then chuckled again “Anyway, send word among the ones you trust to be on the lookout. I don’t like this situation and my gut feeling tells me we are missing a key detail.”

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox

IC: Mrs. Letitia

The matronly Mrs. Letitia, the housekeeper, waddled in the room still trying to catch her breath from having to climb the stairs. She was a large elderly woman, with an ever present sour expression on her face. She ignored Zanna, the housekeeper did not approve of the fairie, but the eccentric Detective liked having her around. Not that she approved of the elf, but at least he was paying. If only he did not bring all those vagrants and miscreants who liked to frequent his house. Until today. “Mister Inageiros, a letter just came for you.” she puffed and crinkled her nose “It would not hurt you to open that window from time to time, it reeks in here.” she puffed and waddled towards him to hand him the envelope. It was a simple one, no marking, just an elegantly written For Andrath.

It contained one small piece of expensive paper saying:

I see you are having interesting visitors.

I.

The “I” stood for Irine, the most famous cat burglar in the Empire, who managed to slip between his fingers. Or maybe he enjoyed the chase and always let her go? No one knows…

“It seems you were finally noticed by the powers of the day.” the housekeeper grinned indulgently “I can’t wait to tell the others at the book club! Octavia will burst out with jealousy!”

TAG: @Darth_Elu @Ktala

IC: Chief Engineer Mieli Hartsson, Lieutenant Tyler Petreus, Professor Johanness Petreus
    On-board the exploration vessel “Enterprise”

Mieli was still transfixed by the keg to notice the strange image outside. “Typical Long-Legs...” he grunted “Can’t pick up a keg.” he snorted, the whole idea started to look bad, but there was no returning his prized possession, especially that he had to fight the cook for it. Good thing the food had been served already, as the vindictive man would have simply spit in it. Not that Mieli cared about that though, food was food. Some saliva might even improve it. Now that was an amusing thought!

Tyler was annoyed by the dwarf. He had to follow his antics and not listen to Lady Delfina and the Felinoid. Also the other woman had disappeared. Why can’t he have a normal dinner with the beautiful lady!? But of course the stupid dwarf needed drinking buddies so he started inviting everyone who could lay eyes on. And of course it was his luck being there when Mieli did that.

Seeing the Felinoid going to help with the keg, the Lieutenant decided to flex his muscles and help. It was then when the archeologist, Rouser was it, pointed towards the windows. There dark clouds could be seen and a lightning bolt went through revealing an impossible figure for a brief moment.

“Some call it the Herald of the Ancient Ones.” came the old but still vivacious voice of the Old Man, the Professor. “It won’t do us any harm as it is a mere illusion, a play of the senses.” which was not true. The Old Man had not told anyone that some apocryphal texts containing prophecies were telling of a time when the Ancient Ones will reappear. The signs were everywhere, that was why it was imperative to make this journey. They had to find a way to prevent that.

TAG: @Mistress_Renata @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Darth_Elu

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 9 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: The Jester
    Watching and observing

The Jester chuckled to himself, bowed, and vanished from his monarchs presence as if translucent and with a burst of smoke.

He appeared in a corridor in the Palace, pacing back and forth from one wall to the other; often through the shadows, it seemed, and back out again. A maid was surprised, dropping a pile of neatly folded and pressed bedsheets, but the Jester paid her no heed as he wandered along.

"Who to see, who to see."

The City was larger than just the Palace. The Princess Atreus would be interesting, true, and he could follow those two onwards, the detective and the naive ones...

... or he could percolate.

It was always fun to step in as and when he wanted... to keep an Eye, and to keep them on their toes.

TAG: No-One, @TheAdmiral

22. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Zanna Wai'leena

As Zanna noted the direction the Princesses's car disappeared towards, along with any other notable facts, she suddenly heard Andrath call out. “Ice!” It was almost like the world suddenly had come to an end.

“ICE! Zanna, I need you to get our lovely Housekeeper and request some ice quickly while I get things situated in here. How could I forget to get the ice…”

Zanna turned, her wings moving quickly, and opened the door, nearly plowing into Mrs. Letitia, the housekeeper. The woman was breathing hard, trying to catch her breath after climbing the stairs. Zanna immediately backed up as the woman gave her a look as if she had been sucking a lemon all day. It was a look that Zanna had grown used to. Pretty much the norm for that woman. The woman completely ignored her. Well, something must be important for the woman to drag herself up the steps.

“Mister Inageiros, a letter just came for you.” she puffed and crinkled her nose “It would not hurt you to open that window from time to time, it reeks in here.” she puffed and waddled towards him to hand him the envelope. It was a simple one, no marking, just an elegantly written For Andrath.

The look on Andrath's face spoke volumes. Not it what it conveyed, but what it didn't. Most times, when Andrath was in the middle of his experiments, he detested interruptions. But Zanna knew he had most likely identified who the sender was. Not many folks wrote to Andrath, and certainly not on such fancy paper. Even Zanna could tell the paper was expensive. And the fact that Andrath had not chased the woman out of his room, was another fact. Speaking of which...

“It seems you were finally noticed by the powers of the day.” the housekeeper grinned indulgently “I can’t wait to tell the others at the book club! Octavia will burst out with jealousy!”

Zanna was behind the woman, and as her wings fluttered, she rolled her eyes. But she remembered that Zanath needed ice, and if they waited for the portly woman to go back down and up again, the ice would be melted. So Zanna muttered a quick "'cuse me.." as she shot past the woman, in order to retrieve the ice that Andrath needed.

Zanna flew quickly, careful not to touch a thing. She did NOT want to hear anything from the housekeeper. Zanna scooped up some ice, into a container, and quickly came back up the steps, slowing as she reached the top. She didn't want to run into that woman twice in one setting.

Zanna made it to the top of the stairs. Tucking her wings together, she walked in, holding the container of ice carefully in her hands as she made her way to the table. She would wait quietly, for him to tell her where to set it down.

23. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Jedi Master star 3

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch
    Secert Lodge of the Holy Order

The Patriarch nodded, agreeing with the sentiment not to rush things too fast. Had he not urged rushing things before? No matter. He tilted his head at the mention of pure synthetic draconium. He had given away the closest he had gotten, at over 90% purity to a certain Kardis Talathee. He wondered whether she appreciated how truly powerful it was. Although it was still addictive and not quite what he had desired. He shifted his head to look at Ulthwe, trying to sense his intentions behind his words. Could he of figured out his plan? Or perhaps he inviting him into his own nefarious plot? A note for a later date.

"I am almost there, a couple more cycles, and then it should be pure" The Patriarch was not sure if Ulthwe knew what he meant by cycles, another annoyance of the Primarch was to divulge how it was made with Ulthwe. He out stretched his arm, his palm clenched slightly as if holding a rod. As he did this a scroll whizzed across the room into his hand. He then handed it to Ulthwe, within it contained various schematics and detailed text explaining the process for manufacturing synthetic draconium.

"This should clear any doubts you have"

He listened to the other remarks the Aeldari made taking them in slowly, weighing the different options and possibilities. He then froze slightly when Lady Eleanor was mentioned, before letting out his signature cold chuckle. So she was making moves.

This was bad if there was anyone that could predict his movements and plans it would be her. The Patriarch began to do something he usually did not do: panic. Not a full blown freak out, but more a small unsettling feeling in his stomach.

"Do we have any idea what she is up to?" He said, his voice still calm and collected.

He didn't give Ulthwe time to answer. He burst out the door and made his way to exit the lodge. He had no way of knowing where she would be, unless he....no that might give him away. He exited the lodge and made his way to somewhere...where? Even he did not quite know.

TAG: @TheAdmiral Mentioned: @greyjedi125

24. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Andrath Inageiros IC:
    ~Mind’s Rest, Basileus~

As the detective continued bustling about to get his experiments underway, he noticed Zanna move quickly to go fetch the ice as requested. Good woman, always helpful.

It would appear she came face to face with Mrs. Letitia at the door, judging by the sound it made as it was opened. And the panting of breath. He could positively feel the distaste of each other between the two ladies even with his back turned to them as it was presently.

“Mrs. Letitia,” he greeted.

If she was up here, there was a reason for it. He waited for her to speak as he adjusted a few things to his liking.

“Mister Inageiros, a letter just came for you.”

He continued to work at his little stations, nearly done with preparation. Just needed that ice.

“Is that so? Well, that does happen from time to time. Post, I believe they call it,” he remarked with dry sarcasm. “Go ahead and place it on my desk, Letitia.”

“It would not hurt you to open that window from time to time, it reeks in here.”

The stubborn woman moved across the room to him, not his desk and held out the envelope. For a housekeeper, she certainly acted more like…a landlady sometimes. It was rather unnerving, but she was good at her job and so he kept her at her…post.

Ah, wordplay. Joy of the intellectually minded.

“My dear, Letitia, if this room reeks of anything, it is of brilliance,” a pause as he turned to face her, “Plus that tannery down at the other end of the boulevard is a crime to my nostrils. Now, pl—“

He finally noted the envelope in her hand. Andrath was duly silenced as he just stared at it for a couple seconds.

For Andrath

Elegantly written, but otherwise unadorned. Andrath Inageiros knew that handwriting. Quietly, as if cradling a child, he took the letter from his housekeeper’s hand and slid open to reveal the expensive parchment inside. A rather exquisite vellum choice. Another sign.

I see you are having interesting visitors.

I.

The elf just stared at the letter as Letitia continued on unabated. I. I. I. I.

Oh, Irine, what games are you up to now?

“It seems you were finally noticed by the powers of the day. I can’t wait to tell the others at the book club! Octavia will burst out with jealousy!”

It took another moment. His eyes flicked up as his hands quickly placed the paper back into the envelope and held it firmly, most unconsciously.

“Hm? What was that?” He replayed her words in his minds just as she was beginning to repeat herself. “Oh! Right, right. Letitia, if you please. Don’t. Such things require a delicate hand.”

Andrath turned and crossed over to his desk to both set down the letter and rummage for a very special little jar, beginning to put on some light gloves. He paused one last time here and looked up to Letitia, also noting Zanna had disappeared from the room. Gone for the ice without waiting for the housekeeper. Wise.

“Actually. Do. Please do, let me know how Octavia reacts. Could be rather amusing, wouldn’t you say? Your book club gathers at The Luna doesn’t it? Or am I mistaken?”

Andrath flashed a small smile then went back to what he was doing. He gathered a small brush, some tape, and two blank cards; setting them aside. Narrowing his sharp elven eyes, aided by the lights already on at his desk for the draconium, he zeroed in on the looking glass’ handles.

Mhm. “Exselénoir,” he whispered to himself.

Opening the jar and dipping in the brush, he proceeded to lightly dust the handle with black magnetic powder. The world fell away as he worked, turning the object with his specially gloved hands by the glass end so as not to disturb what he was aiming for. Zanna likely returned as he worked.

Yes, in fact she had. He heard the flutter of her wings.

“Thank you, Zanna, could you put the ice in that thick silver-looking pot on the far end of the counter? The one with the small dent in it. You’ll have to lift the lid and make sure to put it back on.”

He noted to himself to get dry ice at some point, it would serve far better, but they were all out. Indeed, it was dry ice that he had been remarking upon earlier, not that he had said so, but knew the normal household variety would have to do. His test for that pot would have to be done a bit quicker than he’d like, but he’d get there soon enough.

Setting the brush down at last, he grabbed some of his adhesive tape and began wrapping it around the gold metallic handle of his looking glass, pressing firmly and waiting a few moments. Fingerprints. Fingerprints were always useful.

And just a dash of simple magic that could copy such basic things…

When ready, he slowly peeled the tape back off and placed them on the blank cards, sandwiching for protection and setting it aside at the corner of the desk. Now for the draconium, the fingerprints he could come back to.

Andrath peeled off his gloves, tossed them into a trash bin, then proceeded to put new ones on as he maneuvered toward the vials.

“Tell me, Zanna. Do you have any idea of what I’m about to check for?”

Irine, do you?

Tag: Zanna & Mrs. Letitia @Ktala @TheAdmiral

25. Jerjerrod-Lennox

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Milos Terric
    Location: Bridge, HIMAS Aquila, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

“But Captain, I am one of them too!” his lips extended in a wide mischievous grin. He then gave a small chuckle “But I do share your sentiment about politicians.”

“Well that makes two of us” Terric said with a smile “I don’t know if anyone else wants to join the queue but I must say to see a Prince harbour the same sentiment as I do regarding politicians….it is rather refreshing”.

Especially since His Majesty had to put up with them all the time whilst they were in court. “And if you truly a politician….you might be one of the better ones” he winked “You probably have a very good poker face, i’ll bet if anybody tries to gamble against you they may just very well lose as you could be very sneaky without them noticing” he chuckled.

“You know once we get back you could stay on board. Who knows where we could go next but maybe it would be more exciting than listening to people talking all the time and arguing with each other saying this isn't right, that isn't right, that’s disgusting, you’re a traitor no you are a traitor and so on and so forth. At least up here it is quiet, serene and the only arguments you get is that they are serving rubbish food in the mess again” he smiled again “Yes we may have to blow stuff up luckily it doesn't happen too often but when it does it's more interesting.”

“Or we could drop you off somewhere, I've heard rumours of some expedition heading off into the far blue yonder. Maybe that would be your cup of tea”.

“Oh, I am not talking about now.” he gave a sad smile “I don’t like the idea either, but I am afraid time is running short.” the Prince pursed his lips then gave a brief grin “If I were an old man I would have said that I feel it in my bones.” then chuckled again “Anyway, send word among the ones you trust to be on the lookout. I don’t like this situation and my gut feeling tells me we are missing a key detail.”

“I couldn't comment on the old bit Your Highness” he said with a smirk but then turned serious “My opinions on the political officers still stand. And if I start making waves among the crew, then the traitors will pick it up. Because some of the people I trust may know the traitors as friends, maybe even consider them close. Yes the traitors chose their side but if we show our hand too early we may end up with a mutiny on our hands, too late and it all starts falling apart. And even those I trust could be traitors. You see the position I am in?” he shook his head, his eyes narrowing “We are pretty much stuck, Your Majesty, perhaps someone will let something slip and I can pounce on them before they take action or their treasonous thoughts take root”.

“I agree we are missing a key detail but it may be up to us alone to find it.”