main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cave-A Domain Of Evil It Is. In, The haters Must Go (The Official haters' Sanctuary)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Merkurian , Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    As an old gusher I guess, seeing as how I like all SW movies, it's good to see some old faces. Maybe one of these days some moof milker can make a SW movie you like, until then welcome back to your sanctuary.

Sitara and sizziano like this.
  2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Nah, I was referring to Binary_Sunset.

3. MansBFFTheWookie

MansBFFTheWookie Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    So basically this forum is now reddit? Well grats TFA lovers guess I'm out if so.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  4. Winshen Cloudleaper

Winshen Cloudleaper Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Buh bye, now.

So, how about that travesty they call a movie that is still raking in millions? I wonder if Disney is buying its own tickets, just like it bought 2.4 billion of its own stock to stop it from rapidly sinking.
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/11/investing/disney-bought-stock-media-espn-star-wars/

5. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Oof, I hope not. I do my Star Wars discussion over here instead for a reason.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In a nutshell: when a thread gets derailed for being too bash-tastic, Mods will direct posters here. What is considered "too bash-tastic" is up to the Mods.

[​IMG]

7. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    A list, by no means comprehensive:

1. Han Solo getting killed has to be the biggest crock of nonsense that has ever been in a Star Wars film. I remember back in 1999 when Chewbacca was killed in a Star Wars novel, and the movie fans sniggered and pointed and said how stupid the EU was. Well, guess what? TFA managed to be even stupider.

2. Speaking of the EU, the movie basically copied Ben Solo from Jacen Solo (not to mention copying his name from the EU's Ben Skywalker). I was so hoping for no more relations. But we were treated to Han and Leia having a son, who turned to the dark side, who dresses like Darth Vader, and who looks nothing like either Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford. We were also treated to a separated/divorced Han and Leia.

3. Another Death Star? Seriously? Even bigger and badderer than the other two. Please. Just give me a break. Give me a break!

4. Most of the starship battles left me baffled. I couldn't follow what was going on. Earlier today I watched ROTJ to get the bad taste out of my mouth left by TFA. I noticed that I could follow the ROTJ space battles because they aren't too busy. But the space battles in TFA have too much going on for me to know or even care what's happening. Too much like a computer game.

5. Snoke? Who gave him that name? He looks like a cross between Gollum and Voldemort.

6. Luke hiding out for years on end and feeling sorry for himself? Really? His nephew/student turns evil, so Luke feels bad about it and hides instead of cleaning up the mess? The awesome Jedi from ROTJ (who would of course only grow more powerful over time) couldn't handle Darth Emo and Gollum? Unbelievable.

7. Of course the whole rehash issue. Of course that is unacceptable.

8. Most of the OT characters felt shoehorned into TFA. If I had my way, Luke Skywalker would be the only character from the OT to also be in the PT. To keep him from stealing the show, I'd simply have him be in three scenes as a wise old mentor/sage. I like the idea of the first of the ST being the search for Luke (but TFA's execution of this was way, way off). Like TFA, I'd end the first of the sequel trilogy with finding Luke. Then have him give crucial information and advice in the first 15 minutes of Episode VIII, then whoosh away to the rest of the movie with no Luke. Finally, have Luke show up at the end of Episode IX to join in the celebration of good triumphing over evil.

9. If taken as canon (which I certainly do not), TFA ruins the happy ending of ROTJ. "Oh, Han and Leia will get divorced, Luke will mess-up his Jedi school and run and cry, Han and Leia's son will turn evil and kill Han, Leia will be heart-broken, Luke will be heart-broken, and Chewie will be heart-broken. Oh, and for good measure C-3PO will be distraught for years on end because R2-D2 will power-down. Have a good day!" Only Lando emerges unscathed.

10. TFA has already painted the ST into a corner: Either Kylo Ren will get redeemed like Darth Vader, which will turn the entire ST into a rehash of the entire OT; or Kylo Ren will die in his wickedness, making this an anti-Star Wars trilogy: a tragic ending for all our heroes, except, again, for Lando. Billy Dee, if Disney approaches you for a Star Wars movie, you know where to tell them to go!

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I loved the movie and it exceeded my expectations as a SW fan. I had a good feeling that it would be critically and economically successful, but this successful. I'm pleasantly surprised and will watch it 5 times, just like III.

I also knew it would be divisive here because of the high expectations and you can't please everyone.

I can't really contribute here and I don't wish to get into it with anyone in this thread, so I'll just lurk occasionally just to see why some who share my love of SW are haters.

Let the hatred flow. It is your destiny! :mad:

Little_Boots and Pensivia like this.
  9. Winshen Cloudleaper

Winshen Cloudleaper Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Is that a picture of a critic being wined and dined?

10. JonoLFC

JonoLFC Jedi Knight

May 20, 2015
    Stop that

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

They dropped a moon on him for god's sake - a moon! [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]
    It's like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon!

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It was real. All of it. The Jar Jar hate. The bashing of little Annie. The takedown of bad CGI.

edit: just FYI, in that link you might find some of my posts.

I fought in the Basher wars. I was once a Basher the same as the others.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It was a pathway to abilities some considered to be... unnatural.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Really glad to see this thread. I was going to suggest it, actually. I remember the thread for TPM.

Nobody's wrong to dislike the film, and I actually understand it. It feels... different. And very much like a JJ Abrams film. So, enjoy the discussion. :)

15. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, I'm not a hater... but since this is a bash thread let me just say that:

StarKiller Base was lame. Seriously? A 3rd Death Star? And if you count TPM a 4th plot/sub-plot where you have to blow up some kind of death starish thing?

Lame!!!! Thankfully it was only a sub-plot and not the main narrative.

But seriously - a hyper-light laser is just dumb; and seeing it in another star system is just dumber.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, with respect I think its better idea to remove the "Haters" stuff especially, even if tongue in cheek. I think it will give the posters a bad vibe and perhaps pigeon hole fans into "haters" . Many of these people are simply expressing alternate opinions, views even if they're not "mainstream" or "political correct", expressing legitimate criticisms, gripes ect . I think it would make them hesitate to voice their opinions without fear of being made into jokes and made to feel like less of a fan. As it kinda pre-judges them into something negative and allocates them into a "Hate Group". It may also make people feel that they're being signaled and stigmatized by moderators and other fans as if you don't want them participating in other threads and they have to look over their shoulder every time they post. Thats my two cents for now.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Is there a "Prequels Hater" thread in the Prequels Forum? If not, I don't think this one should exist either.

I think this sort of thing inflames, rather than contains, vitriolic divisions in the fan base.

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Keep the "Haters" tag.:p People who take that too seriously will weed themselves out, and old hands like Binary_Sunset can handle themselves, the rest will learn.

PS, I'm a founding member of a Love Story Defenders thread AND a fan of Hayden's Anakin from 13 years ago, and have NO problems with a resergance of a new film's 'Basher's Sanctuary' - it keeps everyone in check.*

*Smoothing my spot for the inevidible "Legends" fan ĉonversations and the Return of the 'Red Menace is Reys mother' threads [face_sick]

PPS - toung is FIRMLY in cheek.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The whole reason we shut down the Basher's Sanctuary years ago was because it was like a club. It was an island within a forum where most people posted there and nowhere else. It created a siege mentality neither healthy for the wider community or for the basher's.

It's better going into a thread and seeing debate and discussion.

I think having this place will hurt, not help, healthy discussion in the long run in this and other forums.

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think the key is allowing dissent in other threads still. That will preserve debate.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I thought the movie was great. The best SW since ESB. BUT, there were a few things that if I could nitpick would be flaws. No movie is without them.

So, here goes:

1. Better explanation of the different groups: republic, resistance, and First Order and how they are in relation to each other. That could be accomplished with one or two lines of dialogue.

2. Better establish the Starkiller planet as the stationary base that it is. This had confused some people. Some people think it's a mobile planet that can move around anywhere. It's not. It only moves in its planetary orbit.

3. Establish the republic better or the idea the capitol moves around and Hosnian Prime is the current location.

4. Reinsert the character of the resistance envoy sent to the NR Senate to warn them of the danger the FO poses.This might also be combined with #1 if done correctly.

5. Fix the Phasma character so she replaces Stromtrooper Steve on the attack on Takodana. She kicks Finns butt and is only stopped from killing him by a well timed Chewie save.

6. Replace Phasma guarding the shields with a regular grunt. Makes it more believable the shields were lowered so easily by a grunt not a FO leader.

7. Make the Rathars more practical. Too much CG in that sequence.

8. Have Starkiller bases weapon actually be a starKILLER. It literally blasts a systems star so it turns supernova and fries planetary systems.

9. Clarify R2's slumber with an earlier scene showing BB8 wondering back up to R2 after earlier leaving him and transmitting some info about searching the Imperial databases archived within. This is setup for later on when R2 activates.

10. Make Snoke just a person or hooded figure off screen and not this giant CG character. Looked a bit CGish at times in 3D.

11. Have Maz Kanata be almost all puppetry, even her head, except with Nyongo's facial performance capture and voice. She would have been a perfect hybrid puppet/CG character. I still love the character but she did look a bit CGish in 3D.

That's it. Loved the film. 9/10 as it exists. These fixes…man 10/10.

edit: I'm still a bit confused how this /\/\ works here when I also posted it in the TDA complaints thread.

Aren't they essentially the same thing?

23. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    So this thread in the TFA board cant discuss TFA?
    Shouldn't this be in the Saga section?

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I know JJ didn't say this when asked, but I always assumed R2 woke up because Rey showed up at the Resistance Base...

WriterMan and Shaak Ti like this.
  25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay now I'm really confused. So we can't discuss TFA here?

HUUUHH?!

edit: JabbatheHumanBeing, oh I'm with you. I got it too. But, I was just thinking for people who needed that extra hit over the head with a story hammer, one line from 3PO explaining it wouldn't hurt.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.