main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Cell (Obidala, Ep. III AU, very dark - Complete. Vignette added July 14, 2005)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Vampi_Digitalwytch: That's always been my issue with it, and why I haven't read too much of it (I have, just not a large amount). The original idea (put someone in a cell and leave'em there) didn't necessarily call for Obi-Wan and Padme, but eventually that part ended up just being there, so there it is. :p Anywho :p - thank you. :D

solojones: Good news, then - I have a beta. ;) I sent the next chapter to her yesterday, and she said she'd probably have it back by Monday. :)

2. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Hooray! me likes! Dark yes...but I think it was you, Oba, who said that since when is dark not good?? :p

Looking forward to more!

3. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Burkie: I might have said that, but I don't remember it, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. :p Thank you, glad you'r enjoying. :D

Okies, next part. ;) Thanks to leia_naberrie for beta'ing. :D This one is shorter and happier than the first, but the next will probably be darker and longer. Each of the chapters/chapter titles are a phase, of sorts, that they go through. :) The first was 'Death' and that was all about despair and death, and this one . . . :p is about choosing to live. :)

Feedback, as always and ever, is appreciated and adored and reread. ;)

*~*~*

Life.

?We can?t keep doing this.? Padmé?s voice was whispery soft, that kind of soft where it seems not a product of voice, but of breath. But she knew Obi-Wan would hear. Along with the darkness, the silence was draining. Padmé found herself constantly searching for the noise of Obi-Wan breathing. Sometimes he would get so quiet in his meditations that she would poke him, just to hear him breathe. She had a feeling she amused him when she did that.

?Doing what?? Obi-Wan?s voice was loud, compared to the quiet of his breathing.

?We?re not surviving, we?re existing,? Padmé snapped. They talked; they counted the ?days?; they speculated. They didn?t talk about Anakin, about the Jedi, about the newborn Empire or the dying Republic. After the first few days, those became forbidden topics by default. Thinking of those things was both disheartening and energizing, but the energy had nowhere to go, and the sadness had nothing to dispel it.

?Maybe existing is easier.? It was a response uncharacteristic of the Jedi. Of Obi-Wan, or any Jedi.

Padmé walked over to him; four steps exactly. She knelt and grabbed his face roughly, his beard scratching her hand. ?You?re breaking,? Padmé said softly. It was amazing, to her, what little things could do to her. A mere thought could bring her to tears, when before it had been fact, life, a memory or a token of a memory. The present and past seemed so much more fragile.

??Oh, that I could do without; that greatest thing, hope.?? His voice rasped.

Padmé ran her fingers over his eyes, and they were wet. ?A quote from a classic tragedy play??

?Even Jedi have moments of weakness,? Obi-Wan pointed out. He sighed. ?What do you suggest we do? I never went through POW preparation like the others in the Clone Wars.?

?Well, obviously I didn?t, either,? Padmé said. ?We need . . . a routine. And something fun to do.?

Obi-Wan paused. ?Does this great wisdom come from holonovels, by any chance?? There was a new lightness to his voice.

Padmé laughed. ?Yes. At least they do their research ? sometimes.? We?re going to live, she thought. ?We can do this.?

Obi-Wan reached out and touched Padmé?s face, rough fingertips lightly skimming along her jaw line. The contact was surprisingly comforting; it felt so real. ?Yes, we can. I?m a Jedi, and you . . . are you.?

Padmé took his hands in hers, and they stayed that way for a long time.

^~~~~~^

It weighed very heavily at times, thick and cloying. The darkness would press in on them again, they would let their minds wander . . . Of course, Padmé didn?t see or hear any of this directly, but she nevertheless knew it was the case. There was something to be said for the existence of instinct; it was clear, here, that something intuitive was at work at times. She wondered if it was the Force, some meager communication allowed by the small number of her midichlorians.

It didn?t really matter; the fact of it was enough.

They spoke sparingly, still, but they both made an effort. They talked about random little things, past experiences and philosophy. Sometimes they even told jokes. Obi-Wan only got some of hers, and she got only some of his. The one about Padawans and the number of eyes in the room simply didn?t make sense to her.

From what she remembered, Obi-Wan was sitting about four steps away. Every time she moved, every time he moved, she would adjust her mental map of where the two of

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely post but quite horrible in a way. So much hope in their hopeless situation.

Great job. Maybe there's light at the end?

5. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I'm absolutely fascinated with how they've managed to fill thier time and adapt in that dark room.

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great work! And yep organization does wonders... even in the dark and when nothing is available. Creativity along with a plan to follow :D

Excellent play! :D

7. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    I like how Obi-Wan and Padme are trying to live, not just exist. Seems to be working so far, but I bet it doesn't last. ;)

I like how they have found the little games to occupy their time.

I guess, eventually they are gong to slip and mention Anakin. Can't see how it could be avoided forever.

Wonderful job!

~ Jedikma :)

8. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Absolutley wonderful! I like how Obi-wan and Padme aren't afraid to touch each other anymore. They seem to be getting rather close now. ;)

I am loving this! More soon! :D

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This story is just incredible! You've done an amazing job of portraying their life in this dark cell. It feels depressingly real!

Obi-Wan reached out and touched Padmé?s face, rough fingertips lightly skimming along her jaw line. The contact was surprisingly comforting; it felt so real. ?Yes, we can. I?m a Jedi, and you . . . are you.?

This was just so tender, especially considering their situation. A wonderful tale, truly!

10. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    ?It?s better than Paddy Frog.?

?Sure, Oafy-Wan.?

I love that, it's so cute! How the tools of their torture they endured as children don't seem so bad when compared to the torture they're going through now. :_| [face_laugh]

More than comfort or surroundings, but the reassurance of knowing another enough to play, and know the other would catch you, should you trip and fall.

Exquisite. [face_love]

?What about a story? I want to hear more about this Palo kid . . .?

Padmé laughed. ?Anakin asked me that once.? The words fell from her lips without thought, startling her. Anakin headed that forbidden list of things they did not discuss. They talked of everything else, her and Obi-Wan, and it seemed that now walls were dissolving.

?I?m not surprised,? Obi-Wan said at last, no trace of censure in his voice. There was a thoughtful lilt to it, instead. Tacit permission?

Padmé rose to her feet and walked over to Obi-Wan; small steps, always small steps. When she reached him, she took his hand. The physical contact felt comfortable, normal. She encouraged him to stand as well, taking his hands and placing them just so to demonstrate, and then spoke. ?We went to a dance ? it was this dance, that we were taught . . .?

Fascinating.

What an amazing fic this is. I am also a member of the I-like-Obidala-but-I'd-like-it-better-if-they-slowed-down Club. Unlike Padme and Anakin, Obi and Padme need a reason to get together (if the author stays true to the characters). But then again, I consider Obidala to be interpretations of the relationship, no matter what they are to each other - friends, lovers, whatever.

Keep up the good work, I am eagerly waiting the next chapter! :D (Never thought I'd be looking forward to Pain.)

11. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Padmé?s voice was whispery soft, that kind of soft where it seems not a product of voice, but of breath.

What a subtle and delicate distinction!

Again, I like the way you're slowly building up this relationship between Padme and Obi-Wan. The fact that they're thrown together with nothing to keep their sanity intact but each other. The routine sounds very much in character with the order and strength of will that both of them have--using a rigid schedule to create a semblance of a life rather than giving in hopelessly to their incarceration.

Wonderful writing, oba dear!

12. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    This is wonderful. I really like how strong they are and how they are doing everything they can to keep their sanity.

I-like-Obidala-but-I'd-like-it-better-if-they-slowed-down-Club

I couldn't have put it any better than that. I love the fact that this doesn't seem at all rushed. Great job!

13. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    diathenx: Maybe. ;) Yes, there's hope, because there's nothing else for them to go on. (It might be delusional, but it keeps them alive.) Thank you! :D

Vampi_Digitalwytch: Thanks! :D I spent some time figuring out what they would do, how would they adapt. :)

Kynstar: Exactly. :) It gives them structure and something to occupy their minds. Sort of inspired by 'Borders of Infinity' by Lois Bujold - it's far easier to fight against something you can see and react to, versus something you can't.

Jedikma: My padawan is wise. ;) Yeah, most everything is going to be discussed at one point or another. ;) Thank you! :D

Senator_Leia73: Yep. ;) I think it's rather inevitable they'd get pretty close - just how close will they get, though? :p Thank you. :D

VaderLVR64: Thanks! [face_blush] I'm glad you think so - this is definitely a little quirky to write. :p

jedi_keladry: I actually hadn't thought of it that way - how they were tortured as children compared to now. ;) I was just in a silly mood when I wrote that. 8-} I agree about Obi-Wan and Padme - they do need a reason to get together. Even as friends, I would think, they would need something more than 'Why not?' And LOL! 8-} Looking forward to Pain . .

LadyPadme: I've heard people say it's not possible to 'breathe' a word, but I don't think that's entirely true, hence that line. 8-} Thank you! :D Yes, things are moving slowly. ;) I do think they would be smart enough and disciplined enough to implement that sort of plan - which is good, because I don't know what I'd write otherwise. [face_mischief]

Opal: Thank you! :D They're really quite two naturally strong characters. :) And yep, things are moving slowly - along, but slowly. 8-} Glad you're enjoying.

14. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003

I like this part a lot, it just shows the reader that there is some chemistry between the two, but its not sexual, just comforting, something that would be between two people who are sharing a moment that could be forshadow of them becoming closer and building a deeper friendship. (I hope that makes sense)

I like how you used the 4steps repeatedly, it shows to me anyway that each one has there spot but in only those few steps they are back in eachothers space for comfort, talk etc

I like how you show also them talking about theirselves which lets them to get to know little things about each other that otherwise they might never know. The nicknames I loved. I could just hear those nicknames in my mind and how they would sound. I aslo like how he teaches her things and she teaches him things, like katas and dancing.

I also love how you ended this post with her trying to teach him a specific dance. I look forward to seeing which dance that was, I suspect it might be something like a slow waltz or someother close dance in which requires the partners to be in each others arms or just light touches such as the old dances from the 1700s-early1900s, unlike some of the modern dances. Those old ballroom type dances are fun not only to watch but also to dance to and are more romantic, well at least I think so. :)

15. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Great job. I really like the inner strength that you are allowing these two characters to portray. This is a wonderful story and I can't wait for more!

16. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I saw this on board a couple days ago and I did start to read it and then I got inspired to do something, but I read the last two chapters and I have never read anything so dark and complex before, and it's an Obidala!! Brilliant masterpiece! Can't wait to read more :D

~aeryn

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Again, I continue to be amazed. I think you've managed to do several great things here. For one, you've continued to show how in this situation, you get back to the basics. To get to the core of what surviving is. They've moved past letting it be torture and are just trying to cope. Secondly, I really love the way you've shown their realtionship developing. They still seem very much themselves, but the changes you've shown in them due to their situation feel real. It's not melodramatic at all, it just feels real. Fantastic work! Keep it up!

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. MY-T-Chewbacca

MY-T-Chewbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2004
    You've done a great job with this one. You have really brought their emotions to life. Even if they are in a completely dark cell they continue to feel and learn about each other. Great job developing the relationship between the two of them.

19. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    CrystalKenobi: I know exactly what you mean, and that's what I'm trying to portray. In a sense, the physical relationship starts as something very non-sexual. It's more like two friends that are physically affectionate, and I think that would be normal in a situation like this. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by the four steps - that they always take four steps, that it's only four steps? :confused: Aye, I thought that they would have little else to talk about, at a certain point - that it would just become logical to move onto that step. How long can you discuss philosophy, art, whatever, without getting to know the other person a bit? :)

The dance will probably be something like a slow waltz. Some of these little things I'm going to try to bring up in later posts - like this dance, like the 'tragic play' Obi-Wan quotes from. I kind of feel like the short scenes seem choppy, and I hope when read all together the little threads that keep popping up will keep it together. :p Anyway - thank you! :D [face_blush]

jedimommie2: Thank you! :D Aye, they're very strong people, these characters. ;) Much stronger than me, certainly. :eek:

AERYN_SUN: Thanks. [face_blush] I almost didn't do this as an Obidala, but I figured - doing that would just add a whole extra dimension to the story and what they're going through. :) Eventually, it grew in my mind so it had to be Obidala. :p

solojones: Yes, exactly. They have absolutely nothing but themselves in there, so they have to build up a coping mechanism all on their own. They have nothing to fight against, really, except their own need for contact, light, whatever. :) So it all becomes about coping with, in a sense, their own weaknesses. I'm glad you like the way their relationship is going. I'm definitely going into new territory here, and keeping them both in character is both fun and difficult. ;) I'm so pleased it feels real. :D Thank you! [face_blush]

MY-T-Chewbacca: Thank you! :D In this, their emotions and ability to connect is even more important because otherwise, they're completely alone, which has never really happened to them in quite this way before. ;)

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I like the fact that you're someone who's normally an A/A fan. I really like the fact that you're someone who's normally a H/L fan :D It's great to explore different relationship posibilities, I think, but I think it has to be understood that each one would be unique and some call for unique circumstances and dealing with. As someone who's not an Obidala fan, I've found your handling of this story to be wonderful, because you've made it about a relationship that's different than just flowers and sap. It's about each of the characters and how they interact with one another. Again, great work.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    RE:4 steps, sorry it was the case of it made since when I was thinking about it, but didn't go down on paper the same way. I think I was trying to say was that I liked this:

From what she remembered, Obi-Wan was sitting about four steps away. Every time she moved, every time he moved, she would adjust her mental map of where the two of them were in relation to each other and the walls. It was something he had taught her to do. It had been surprisingly easy to learn, once Obi-Wan had connected it to Senate politics ? keeping track of who was where, the alliances forged and broken. She had been taught to overlay the image of any political meeting with ?colors? ? each color representing a political view, a group, something of importance. She did it as easily and naturally as breathing, and while keeping track of their whereabouts was not so easy as that, she did it well enough.

She walked the four steps, sat down. Put her head on Obi-Wan?s shoulder as his arm came around her.

[face_blush]

22. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

I enjoyed this - as you already know. It?s the little details - like the idea of using scraps of cloth as chess pieces, the kind of desperate inventiveness that really happens in situations like this - that make it so rich a story.

?Does this great wisdom come from holonovels, by any chance??

Hey! I resent that! 8-}

This one is shorter and happier than the first, but the next will probably be darker and longer.

:) :) :) :) :)

23. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    solojones: Hehehe. :D I agree. When dealing with something that goes against canon - and to a degree, common-sense with characterization - that has to be noted and dealt with at some point. :) I think once you reach a certain point in the story, that aspect can be assumed - you don't have to say it over and over. But we're not there yet in this one. ;) It's also really flattering that I have someone not an Obidala fan really liking this. :D (LOL, and can you see flowers and sap in this situation? o_O ) Thanks! [face_blush]

CrystalKenobi: Oh! :p I see what you're saying now - funny, I didn't even remember that part until you mentioned it . . . [face_blush] Thank you. :D

leia_naberrie: Well, thank you anyway. :D The feedback is wonderful. [face_love] I'm glad you like the little details. When I was writing the chess pieces as scraps part, I thought, yeah, they can't do it any other way, but it still sounds so silly. :p So I'm glad you like it. :D And great wisdom can come from holonovels. [face_mischief]

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Goes against common sense indeed... but we won't go there :)

and can you see flowers and sap in this situation?
    Hmm... can flowers be used as a torture device? Because I'm pretty sure sap can.

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. PrincessPadme

PrincessPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2001
    Well, I'm not usually an Obidala fan, but this fic definitely piqued my interest. I'm very glad I'm reading it, as it is wonderful in many ways. :)

?You?re cheating.? Obi-Wan?s voice was calm and amused, floating out of nothing.

:p Leave it to Obi-Wan to actually try and follow the rules when it's completely dark...

Anyhow, I've truly enjoyed your writing in that you really feel as if you're there with Obi-Wan and Padmé in the dark. Not many writers can accomplish such a feat. =D=

I'm looking forward to reading more!

~Padme :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.