main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Cell (Obidala, Ep. III AU, very dark - Complete. Vignette added July 14, 2005)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. isola

isola Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2004
    This is such a stark story. I love every measured bit of it.

2. tvdunlop

tvdunlop Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2003
    fabulous, heartbreaking, touching, one of teh best stories i've ever read, thank you

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Man, there is such exquisite madness in this, so many great moments. Darn you, I was going to do the same thing, then decided to read this!

4. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    tangled_sphere: Thank you! :D I'm glad you like how I led up to it - I think I spent a lot of the chapter on that, but it's important, I think. :) And I'm glad you liked that last part you quoted - I knew what I wanted to say, but getting it down was much harder. :p

AERYN_SUN: I'm taking five classes, with a total of 17 units. I'll probably drop one, but - yeah. I could still end up with 14 units. :p Best of luck! Math and Spanish . . . [face_worried]

Lady-Kenobi: There are several ways I could take that comment. :p

Kryste: [:D] Thank you! I'm glad you could see everything happening, that it all felt realistic. [face_dancing] Sometimes I wonder if I get too artsy with this, so it's not understandable, y'know? :p

And I'm so thrilled it's gripped you, because even though this is a creepy story ;) , that means I'm doing something right! :p I'm also very claustrophic (I don't even like turtle-necks), though I don't have a problem with the dark (anymore). Maybe that's why I wrote this story. Thank you, dearest. @};-

JainaDurron: Thank you. @};-

Elli: Good point. But I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. Remember, there is going to be a sequel. I'm not saying everything will end happy-dandy, but they probably won't kill themselves at the end. :p And thank you, I am proud of it. ;)

isola: Thank you. :D I like that - measured. :cool:

tvdunlop: Thank you. [face_blush]

DarthIshtar: Thank you! @};- LOL, were you planning on doing something similar? ;) *curious now* :p

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

...comes running back into the story.

* huff huff puff * :p

Sorry, but DRL had me hard, but I've finally managed to catch up.

Oba, this story is really, really wonderful. There's something at once hopeful and so hopeless in the way you present the situation and how they deal with the incarceration and lack of light. It kind of makes me wonder why they even bother to have hope when the circumstances seem so hopeless, but the fact that they do have hope, and that they have the strength of will to try to retain their sanity despite the terrible situation really speaks to the indominable character they each possess. It's really quite poetic the way you've been able to portray it.

My favorite part of the last two posts was the part where she was twitchy and he was angry. Something about that small snippet really captured (for me) the scope of their mental exercises they used to stay sane.

Lovely, lovely, lovely, oba. :) :cool:

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, since about 4 years ago, I've had an idea of a prison camp called simply The Warren and having a Republic Intelligence Officer imprisoned there and one day, he starts talking with a woman and it turns out to be Padme, but she's half lost her mind, only has certain memories, but we can tell who she is, even if he can't.

7. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I'm just happy to be taking creative writing in the fall :D

~aeryn

8. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Can I have a rose too, oba? :)

[/random] :p

9. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Another powerfully written post. I love this story and can't wait to see where you take it.

10. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, this is just wonderful. I love this story. I am also a member of the Obidalas-only-if-they-make-sense club. This is just so excellent. I am so impressed with all the elements of this story and how well you have produced it/them.

I await the next post with eager anticipation.

KD

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Amen, Obidalas-only-if-they-make-sense club. This should be the crowning glory of that principle.

12. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    LadyPadme: *giggles* :p I totally understand. ;) Glad you could stop by! :D

Your comment about hope and hopelessness really got me thinking. You're going to really influence the next chapter. ;) I do think they are incredibly strong people, and that's the only reason this story works. At this point, I wonder if it would have worked with anyone else, because to my mind, Obi-Wan and Padme are some of the solidest, steadiest characters. :) And I'm glad you like the way I've written it! :D

And you liked the twitchy/angry part. [face_dancing] That part was surprisingly popular. [face_thinking] Thank you! @};-

DarthIshtar: Oh, I see. ;) I don't think those are too similar - actually, vader_incarnate wrote an interesting story about an insane Padme. And LP wrote an interesting one where she made you wonder if it was really Padme for a while . . . :eek:

AERYN_SUN: Neat. :D

Elli: @};- @};-

Opal: Thank you. [face_blush] I hope you continue to like it! :D

Knight_Dilettante: Thank you. [face_blush] LOL, it seems a lot of people are open to the idea of Obidalas. [face_thinking] Interesting. :p I'm glad you like where I've taken this, how I've done it. This is really something different for me. :) Thanks again!

DarthIshtar: [face_blush] [face_dancing]

For those who may be wondering, I started on the next chapter. I have about a page. :)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    There's one great story on the Archive about Vader finding a padme look-alike who's completely catatonic and you keep wondering whether or not he's mad or she's mad, then it turns out to be her, tortured into insanity by the Emperor. I liked that one a lot. But what I'd like most is for you to post more!

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    DarthIshtar: LOL! :D That's the one by LP (LadyPadme). :D It's great - I even got the pleasure of beta'ing it (I think I made two comments in the entire thing :p ). Anyway. Yes, I'm working on it. ;) I'm opening up the doc now. :)

[:D]

15. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Good Oba! Yes, that's right, write more for us!

Here, have a trophy! :p

16. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    *thwacks Burkie*

Love is done. I sent it off to leia_naberrie today :) . Hopefully she'll be able to beta it, and do it quickly. ;)

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Sigh.:: Waiting...

18. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    Love is done. I sent it off to leia_naberrie today. Hopefully she'll be able to beta it, and do it quickly.

Yay!!! Can't wait.

19. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    DarthIshtar and -Erela-: I hope you enjoy, and thanks for patiently waiting. ;)

Thanks to leia_naberrie for beta'ing, even though she didn't find anything . . . :p And a huge thanks to my mom, for reasons she knows. ;)

Whew. Well. Hope you enjoy this one. *little worried* ;) At least I got this one out faster. :p

*~*~*

Love

Sometimes he?d pick a word and think about it. Avoid. Avoidance. It was impossible to avoid Padmé in here. Very possible to avoid everything else.

At first, he had thought that were things you couldn?t really avoid. But, he realized, you can always avoid it. Blank it out of your mind, forget it happened, refuse to believe it exists. He remembered a Jedi Master teaching a class of young, sixteen year old Padawans a survival course. Obi-Wan had thought it silly at first ? he already knew how to survive in a wilderness, how to improvise in bad situations and trust the Force.

Then Master Jeltenth started talking to them about torture and pain. ?The mind will do nearly anything to avoid pain.? He told them to unlearn to what they knew, to never block out the pain, and as long as they did that, as long as the pain edified, as long as they could transmute its existence into purpose, they would be the sanest people in the galaxy. You could ignore a scratch, but ignore torture and you will be lost in what its absence creates, he told them.

Why he was thinking of all this now, he didn?t know. He didn?t avoid Padmé. He didn?t avoid the reality of her, the beauty of her nature or the fiery temper that lurked beneath. Not the rudeness nor the laughter. She was always here.

^~~~~~^

Sometimes it was peaceful. It was always quiet, unless they deliberately made it not quiet, but sometimes it was peaceful. Peace was a different thing, a thing of the essence of a person. A deep, settled contentment; unshaken, at least for now.

^~~~~~^

Routine. Their beautiful thing.

?Do you ever think our routine is a bad thing??

?What do you mean??

?That we get too . . . set.? To see new things.

Uncertainty. ?I don?t know.?

?I would never avoid you.?

?Whatever that means, thank you.? Amused.

?You?re welcome.?

^~~~~~^

?I can see why your people fell in love with you.?

Padmé laughed. ?Can you? I understood it, I suppose, but I think I could have done better. As Queen, as a Senator.?

Obi-Wan shrugged, knowing Padmé wouldn?t see it. They were both breathing a little more than usual, the exercise starting to become real exertion now. They were both doing the same kata. Even though Obi-Wan couldn?t see Padmé, he could feel her, and was timing his moves to coincide with hers, giving a murmured correction here and there. ?I don?t even mean that, really. They forgave your mistakes because they loved you, they didn?t fail to see them because they loved you.?

?What do you mean??

?They ? loved your bravery, your strength, your determination. It amazed me even then, that you could rule Naboo so young.? He smiled. ?You were a lot wiser than I at that age.?

?Don?t be silly. You were a Jedi at fourteen, weren?t you? I can?t imagine having to go out on dangerous missions, risking my life ? I never knew I would when I became Queen.?

?I left the Order when I was fourteen, remember?? Obi-Wan said dryly.

?Ah,? Padmé said, and he could almost feel her wince. ?You know, the thing I always admired about you was your serenity. You always had such clarity of purpose, in being a Jedi. I didn?t necessarily have that as a Senator. I wasn?t always sure what I wanted.? She sighed. ?As you know,? she added, referring obliquely to Anakin, her voice soft with affection, and no regret.

?I have always known that I was meant to be a Jedi, and that has given me a certain degree of serenity, but that didn?t stop me from choosing wrong paths, making wrong choices,? he said quietly, reflectively. ?I understood why Anakin chose to marry you, despite my reaction when I found out.?

?But he still made the wrong decision??

?I?m not so su

20. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

Nice post, loved the perspectives on this one.

21. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    wow!

That's all I have to say!!

22. Nevermoore

Nevermoore Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2004
    Hello Master!

hehehehehe I am coming to you as one of my socks! [face_devil]

You put so much into all of these chapters and if I were to quote everything I like then I would end up rewriting the whole thing. :D

Do you think the changes are little or big? Good or bad? Are you more patient, more loving, can you sit in the silence and see the beauty of it? Should I not be a better person, forged anew and hammered into something new and more beautiful in the pain of the making?

I liked this passage and to me it really sums up a good portion of the story and the different phases the two characters are going through.

You have a lot of good insight in this whole chapter. :)

As always it's very good and I am impressed it was posted so quickly. :p

~ Jedikma :)

23. MrsWeasley

MrsWeasley Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2004
    This humble little sock says "LOVELY!" I can't wait for my alter ego to read it!

24. Elessar_of_Gondor

Elessar_of_Gondor Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2004
    I, Elessar of Gondor am reading this story for the first time and LOVING IT!

The wise and wonderful Lady-Kenobi will R&R soon!

I am just her sock.

25. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Beautiful, oba. :) Loved it.

~~Jilly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.