main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Cell (Obidala, Ep. III AU, very dark - Complete. Vignette added July 14, 2005)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    honour: Like the username. :D And thank you. [face_blush] I think most people are not flamoboyant about it. I mean, I know my dad loves my mother, but I don't see a great romance from day to day. :p

I haven't ruled out a happy ending, but regardless Obi-Wan and Padme have been affected, even scarred, by their experience. Good things also happened, and yes, they have managed to stay amazingly sane, but they have partially done that through coping methods that won't work in the outside world. However it ends ( [face_batting] ), it just won't (can't be) simple. What if Anakin is alive? As far as they know, he could be, and yet they're in a relationship now. Do you see what I mean? :) And yes, the gifts they give each other are not, I think, part of the coping. Coping is more - keeping each other in line, the routine, etc. :) I hope that makes sense. Thank you, again. :D @};-

StarFighter5: Thanks. :D It is dark. ;)

solojones: I was wondering where you were. :p [:D]

The bit about avoiding pain was mentioned in a sermon I heard. My pastor quoted a psychologist who believed that the source of all mental illness is the avoidance of pain. After some thought, I really realized how true that is. It might be normal to want to avoid pain, but it might cost you your sanity - in some circumstances. So no, no CIA training. ;)

In my opinion, Obi-Wan leaving the Order was both of their faults. (There's an ongoing discussion on that in the WR, btw.) However, I do think Qui-Gon should have taken him back - Obi-Wan made a mistake, he knew it, and more importantly, at 14 yes, you are capable of making decisions, but you're still not an adult.

I think Padme and Obi-Wan have always had an honest respect for each other. :) And it has grown, you're absolutely right - so well, and so thoroughly, it didn't take any great revelation. An epiphany might make for great drama, but it doesn't always happen that way. :p You're right too about the lack of separation, and only themselves and their demons for company - and their demons are very much in residence. :p Without them, I think Obi-Wan and Padme would have gotten together long before they do. :)

[face_blush] Thank you, that's a huge compliment. :D I'm very flattered. ;) Obi-Wan, strangely, is often easier for me to write in this one. :) I'm glad you got all of that out of what I wrote. I was thinking about all of those things, to some degree, and it's great that you see that in there even though I didn't write it in, necessarily. ;)

I wrote that little scene because I did want to show the physical attraction there. :p I think you're right about Obi-Wan in a way. There's a part of him that she can never touch or share (his Force ability), and even if she isn't aware of that, I think he is. That's why generally Obi-Wan appears stronger than Padme, because he does have that other thing to lean on. Also because of that, I don't think he'd feel quite so claustrophic in a relationship.

I love letting the reader fill things in. :D Sometimes they get it wrong and I have to make adjustments, but such is writing: always learning. ;) This story is definitely the farthest I've ever gone with that, however. I'm glad you like it. :D

I had to put that leather pant thing in there. [face_mischief] A lot of authors like to put him in those kinds of clothing, and describe it in loving detail, at least sometimes. And I just don't think he'd ever do that unless he really had to, and whatever circumstance that would be that he would have to, would seem very - plot device-ish. I think. [face_mischief] Even if fun. So just a little play for my readers there.

I'm glad the love scene was tasteful. It didn't end up being graphic, I'm not sure why (I would have written it that way if need be), but I'm happy with it. :)

Ahhh, but remember, technically Padme is still married to Anakin. She made a vow. Padme would take that rather seriously. As far as either of them are aware,

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Post 201. Didn't I respond? Oh, well, maybe it's another author who forgets me. Still waiting.

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Whoops, silly me, I did respond, you responded to me, and it's just been a long time since you posted. I'm very stupid.

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Um, more, please?

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    *waits patiently* I could be here for a while, but oh well. Whenever you're ready. In truth, I'm just trying to get out of going to school tomorrow.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *laughs!* Well, at least you're honest about it, Rach. [face_mischief]

And funny you should mention updating, Ish... *casts a significant look in the general direction of "Close Quarters"* :p

For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.

7. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    DarthIshtar: I always try to respond to readers. If I haven't or don't, it's a mistake or an oversight on my part which I'll correct when I find it. :) I'm working on The Cell, but darn it, it's just not coming along! :p

solojones: I have the last few paragraphs written, but not the first few. ;) Isn't writing great? 8-} I'm working on it. Slowly. Agonizingly. But I want to get it done before my school starts, so that means by Monday.

Fate: Yes, she is. [face_thinking] :p Like the pink. ;)

8. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *grins* Thanks. [face_mischief] And good luck conquering the old block. :p *sends waves of encouragement Oba's way* [face_love]

9. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Fate, honey, I love you. :p

*toddles off to PM hugs to oba*

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, you're very good at that, obaona. I commend you for that. I'm trying to get better at it myself. And I borrowed Padme's attempted suicide method for my post in The Enemy Within, when I'm talking about the ways Luke tries to mutilate himself.

11. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Fate, honey, I love you. :p

*dies!!!* Oh, Elli, it's definitely mutual. [face_love] [:D]

For green hamsters everywhere!

You do realize that now I have to make a green hamster icon now, don't you? :p

It spreads! [face_devil]

12. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Fate: Thanks. :D

Elli: [:D]

DarthIshtar: Thank you. :) That's interesting that you say that - I remember reading a book (a very good book) where this guy is captured, and he knows he'll reveal stuff he is really not supposed to - and his captors know he'll try to kill himself, so they guard against it. He ends up chewing through the vein in the inside of his elbow to kill himself. Which is icky :p , but it would work. :) And that story of yours sounds interesting. [face_thinking]

Fate: I remember green hamsters. :p

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    urgh, nasty. I had luke using everything from his dinner plate to his teeth to get beneath the skin and after he tried his fingernails, they simply removed them.

14. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    :eek:

*eyes widen in horror* Oh, you people... :p

But then... I can't say what I'd do in that situation. But I would prefer a clean death, if it had to be - just get it over with. o_O Don't leave me in the throes of agony. [face_worried]

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Fate, hon, you still need to read "The Enemy Within." Quick, easy death, unhhuh!

16. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *winces* It's going to scar me, I know... :p

*grins* And yet I shall obey, master. [face_blush] *eyes ThePariah askance* I can borrow her, can't I? [face_devil]

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, for crying out loud, let's just hope this gets UPPED!

18. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    DarthIshtar: Ewwwww. :p (About Luke.) Good news below. :)

Fate: Aren't writers evil to their poor characters? ;)

The last chapter is essentially done. I could fiddle more, but that's what I've been doing for the past few days and I'm getting tired of it. :p Hopefully it all works and will make sense to you. :) I've PM'ed leia_naberrie asking if she can beta (no reply yet).

So it's coming, people. ;)

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ooooooooooh...almost done!

20. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    See, the good thing about flopping onto the JC every now and then is that I get good stories like this in bulk. ;)

Lovely, as always. You've made a very hard concept into a great story full of life.

THE LAST CHAPTER IS COMING, YOU SAY?! *MAULS*

tf

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The *last chapter*?! :eek:

Good thing there's going to be a sequel. Right... right? ;)

In any case, I still can't wait.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    The last chapter is essentially done. I could fiddle more, but that's what I've been doing for the past few days and I'm getting tired of it.

*bounces eagerly up and down* Can't wait, hon! :D :D

EDITED because I apparently can't remember to put a space before my smilies. o_O

23. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    DarthIshtar: Yep. :D

TheFallen: Celt! :D [:D] Thank you. ;) :D Though I don't think the mauling was necessary. :p

solojones: Maybe. ;) It depends on when I get other stuff done, if I do NaNoWriMo, etc and so on. ;) As well as reader reaction. :D

Elli: My silly girl :p [:D] .

Leia_naberrie still hasn't gotten back to me - I'm going to give it another day before I start asking for available betas. :) I want to get it posted before Monday, because otherwise you ain't gettin' it until Thursday. :p

24. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Once she got it, leia_naberrie beta'ed really fast. :eek: Thanks, as always. ;)

[random insert: Happy Birthday to my Dad :D ]

So. This is the last chapter. I hope everyone enjoys and likes (and understands 8-} ) my end to this little ride. :D [:D] to all my readers. [face_love] Feedback is, as always and ever, appreciated and adored.

[b][i][u]Destiny.[/u][/i][/b]

Despite the darkness, Padmé had dreamy days where she could find herself lost in love. The odd exuberance of something beautiful and newly found would overtake her, and she would smile the whole day through. Young love, she would have said, except this was so hard-won, and along with the giddy happiness came the gritty reality . . . And trust. That, too.

^~~~~~^

?You?ll never leave me, will you?? Habit.

?Absolutely not.? And not so much habit.

^~~~~~^

?This is serious.?

?Is not.?

?Is too.?

?Reverting to childhood, Obi-Wan?? Padmé queried.

?You started it,? Obi-Wan said, amused and aware.

?Well, I agree,? Padmé said lightly, but with an admission, too. ?It is serious.?

?Of course you agree.? Still amused.

?Of course.?

Another silence, though this one was less heavy. There had been a few already, with them running in ellipses, not quite getting to where they had agreed they should be.

?They?re just games,? Padmé offered at last, beginning again.

?They are more than that. In the sense that we play them.?

?But is that so bad??

?It is when we lose ourselves in them,? Obi-Wan said quietly.

Padmé breathed deeply.

^~~~~~^

?What do you mean, you didn?t know your life would be like this? Couldn?t you have guessed in some way?? Padmé asked, turning around to ?face? Obi-Wan, shifting his arms around her.

?No, I didn?t. How could I?? Obi-Wan asked lightly.

?Well, you knew you wanted to be a Jedi, didn?t you?? Padmé asked. ?At least that was a constant in your life.?

?Not really,? Obi-Wan disagreed. ?So much of life is in the people around you. I never knew I would get so close to my Master. I never knew he would die in my arms, and how that would haunt me. Anakin ? I certainly didn?t know about him.? He paused. ?Or you.?

Padmé sighed. ?I suppose that?s true.?

?And consider, you knew you would be a politician ? but I?m fairly certain you didn?t think that you would lead your people through war,? Obi-Wan pointed out.

Padmé smiled. ?True.? She was silent for a few moments. ?I suppose I ? it seemed logical, the way it happened. Most of the time. I never thought of the differences between then and now.?

She felt his nod.

?I guess we don?t have control in the way we think we do,? Padmé finished softly.

?No,? Obi-Wan agreed. ?But we have control in how we can react. We can?t control the galaxy or other people, but at the very least ? we can choose how to react to those around us. That, I think, is where it all really lays.?

Padmé lay her head on Obi-Wan?s chest. [i]Is that not what we do here?[/i] she thought. ?Hmm,? was all she said, but she knew Obi-Wan understood anyway.

^~~~~~^

Death.

^~~~~~^

?I really hate you sometimes, you know that?? Padmé screamed at Obi-Wan, unable to quite leave off that word, ?sometimes?. She hated being in here, everything compressing her, holding her down. She hated the darkness.

?You state it so eloquently, I think all I have to say is the same to you ?? Yes, he could be vicious when he wanted to be.

?Anakin hurt me like this,? Padmé hoarsely snarled.

?Can you figure out the difference?? Obi-Wan demanded, voice clear, apparently unaffected by Padmé?s words, that made tears sting in her own eyes ? much less his. ?I?m still here,? he whispered in finish.

^~~~~~^

Obi-Wan slept, and Padmé drew her hand across his face, his closed eyes, over his eyebrows and down the side of his face, to his cheekbones to his lips. He slept through it all; Obi-Wan, who was always aware of what was going on around him. Especially here, she supposed, as she often was.

Closing her eyes, her hand went down his ch

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Very big hug for the ending of this very wonderful story.:: I love the sudden, but perfect development of something Obi's never known and the hope in the ending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.