main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census The Census and Games Social Thread wishes you a spooky Valentine's Day!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by droideka27, Oct 31, 2005.

1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Users here have a tendency to abuse polls. There would need to be drastic coding changes to implement the ideas that you propose - I'm not saying they are necessarily bad, just that they won't happen. It's also to do with the founding philosophy of the forum - was the forum founded as "the polls forum" or was it founded as a forum where people can go and take part in sensible, fun, non-spam polls? And redundancy is another issue. We get problems like that in your average forums, I imagine it would be worse here. As some of us saw during the week, even mods sometimes can't avoid redundancy (not naming any names or anything :p )

Personally, I'd like to see more polls created, but not too many more.

2. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Basically I'm trying to say I'm not a big fan of the "PMing a mod to create a poll here" idea, mainly because it requires too much effort and I don't want to create any more work for Tracy than she already has. Maybe there'd be a way to reward users here with poll rights for a set amount of time (like awarding colours) or if possible (I'm not sure what these IGN boards are capable of) allocate a set number of poll posts per user per week or month.

There is a thread to suggest poll ideas. You don't need to PM.

I'd think it would be less work for the mods to read through that thread and choose out suitable poll questions, compared to moderating loads of stupid polls everyday, that can be posted by anyone.

I doubt the IGN boards are capable of 'allocating a set number of poll posts per week or month'.

3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Please don't use this thread for poll suggestions.

Ideally, I'd like to have a new poll everyday in the forum, msotly from the user's poll suggestions, but that just isn't really realistic seeing as how i have a life and a bad memory :p But i think we definitely need to have many new polls created. So keep the suggestions coming in the poll suggestion thread... and remember... the more filled out your idea is, the better chance you have of getting it up faster. Polls suggestions like "Who will win this sporting event" are not very helpful as i dont have the first clue as to what the options would be. Provide options, please :)

4. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Whatever happened to the invasion of Harry Potter polls, Droideka? :p

And didn't you know? Mods aren't allowed real lives. It's against the TOS.

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Maybe it's because droideka realised that this is not a Harry Potter forum and there are actually some people here who think [face_tired] of it. ;)

So do you get colours, Boogie? Or just the VIP red...?

6. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    You don't like Harry Potter?!?!? BLASPHEMY!!!

And no, I just get the VIP red. I'd hate to be confused with a mod. :p

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    *dodges the Harry Potter topic*

I'm sure you would really hate that wouldn't you? Just like everyone else would.... :p

I once found this site where you could colour up any name you want to. Just to look at. It entertained me for a few minutes in my fantasies.... ;)

8. dashleebo

Oct 18, 2003
    If everyone here was allowed colours, you'd probably get arguments like, "You stole my colours!" or "Yours are too similar to mine! I don't want people to mistake me for you. I have a reputation to uphold". :p

Also, obviously, it would be harder to recognise mods....

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Haha, nice dodge of HP, Tyi . . . ;)

And I've been meaning to say this for quite some time - I absolutely love your signature. This part: "Let's look for Alf." - Bossk, ESB

It's so true!

And I agree on the colours issue, dashleebo. Besides, why would everyone need colours?

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I never said that everyone should have colours!! [face_laugh] People don't need them, just like Boogie said!

Thanks, Boogie. It so is that line, isn't it? :D I once started a thread to see if anyone knew about it and eventually found some wordings as to what Bossk was supposed to have said in his language. But it is so Alf to me! :)

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Oh no, I didn't think you said everyone should have colours . . . it was just the conversation moving along. :p

What was Bossk supposed to have said in his language?

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Give me a minute and I'll find it.... (Argh, I'm not on my own computer so have to go the long way... [face_laugh])

Yes yes, I know it was just the conversation moving along. But it was almost as if I suggested it! [face_laugh]

So Boogie, how is it like now that you can post every 15secs....? :p

13. dashleebo

Oct 18, 2003
    I never said that everyone should have colours

Yeah I know :p what you said just made me imagine what it would be like if everyone did.

I can't wait till the next holiday. I really need one. [face_frustrated]

14. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Fantastic! :D I haven't seen OPPM warnings all day. Hehe.

And yeah, dashleebo - holidays would be fantastic. As we speak, I am procrastinating from doing 6000 words worth of essay . . . [face_frustrated]

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Holidays = teh best. :D

Procrastination becomes integrated with most human being's lives. It's natural. ;)

About the Bossk thing. According to starwars.com, Bossk really said:
    Res Luk Ra'auf

Lame compared to what I hear. ;)

16. dashleebo

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm procastinating from doing 3 over-due assignments, and many hours of study for my exams.

I better get off the JC soon. :p

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That's what we always tell ourselves....

Pity our stronger mind doesn't always obey. ;)

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    No, I maintain SW.com heard wrong. It was definitely "Lets look for Alf".

19. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Yes!! :D

I don't think SW.com hears anything. That's their problem, they just think they know. :p

20. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah. Those websites - never willing to consider others opinions! [face_not_talking]

And dash, good luck with those assignments. I know the feeling . . .

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I so think you would classify as an oldbie in the poll thread. Four years! Meh, that's old in my books for these boards. ;)

Midbie will probably lead because no-one wants to make the step of Oldbie or even Newbie in some cases. Still, interesting all the same....

The weather's really starting to kick into overdrive heat mode down here. And it'll only get hotter.... [face_hypnotized]

22. dashleebo

Oct 18, 2003
    Thanks. :)

The only thing I look at on SW.com these days is the databank. I went there everyday when they were filming ROTS. I was subscribed to hyperspace during that time.

Then every wednesday (or friday.. can't remember which one) I'd look up the spoilers, and ROTS updates on theforce.net. Fun times...

Their message board wasn't as good as the JC. :p

EDIT: Yeah, the weather sure is heating up! I'm having more and more ice-blocks now. :p

23. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Tyi, you should discuss that in the thread - remember, we are looking for discussion in our polls these days. ;) But thanks, all the same! :D

Yeah, it's really hot here. Today was 30C!

Is Hyperspace any good, dash?

Arrg, I gotta go, it's food time. :D

24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Ah yes, I keep forgetting that. But you read it all the same, just imagine it was in the other thread! :p

I thought Melbourne was supposed to be cold.... :p

I still visit SW.com... but I agree, their message board isn't nearly as good as this one. The layout is a shocker. Well, to me. ;) I never bothered with Hyperspace, cause it cost money! :mad: Ah well.

Enjoy the food, Boogie! After all, that's what food is for! =P~

25. dashleebo

Oct 18, 2003
    It was good for a while. The live webcam thing in Fox studios was good, so was the 'on-set diaries' feature, and the new pictures of the cast/characters/locations/etc.

There was also the opportunity to ask some of the actors questions in a special forum, where they came online for a strict amount of time, and gave answers.

There were other features as well, but the ones I've mentioned are what I was most interested in at the time.

*Eats her dinner*