main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Challenger disaster

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Sep 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Do you think if Joe Biden wins someone will come out with a conspiracy theory about how the Bureau or Land Management is a trojan horse to install members of Black Lives Matter into government?

Point Given likes this.
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    They already think joe biden is a trojan horse.

Its trojan horses all the way up to the lizard-people who really run the show.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was an adult and was at work in CT when it happened.
    Did you know that Challenger and Chernobyl were within a couple of months of each other? Challenger was Jan 28 1986 and Chernobyl was April 26 1986.

Juliet316, Lordban, Coruscant and 2 others like this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I wonder what the Trojan’s called their horse?

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Same here @DarkGingerJedi as I was in sixth grade as well in the fall of 1989. I remember watching it with my parents who were cheering and screaming along with crying tears of joy really hard as they were hugging me saying that their along with everyone's prayers had finally been answered. When you look at our history over the past 40 years regrettably it has been one tragedy after a next with them seeming to get worse as you move along. That along with the ending of the apartheid and the peace treaty between Israel and Jordan were three moments that you look back as moments we all came together in celebration, not tragedies

I remember @Ahsoka's Tano all four incredibly like they were yesterday though I have more memories of watching the collapsing of the Berlin Wall at home more given my parents reaction to it then watching it at school. When it came to the OJ Simpson case, my school was on the opposite end and almost everyone was guilty therefore were absolutely crushed when he was found to be not guilty. I should add though that a big part of why that is Ron Goldman was from around the area I grew up (only a few towns over) and even though we did not attend the same high school, there were lots of connections for many of us including myself as I had friends who went to Stevenson High School (the school he went to) and had been friendly with the Goldman family.

Yes @LAJ_FETT I did though that is one because of my job and two the HBO Miniseries about Chernobyl which was just outstanding on a side note.

And if you really want to make conservatives heads explode @DarkGingerJedi just tell them that the odds are most likely that within the 25-30 years, humankind will not be the highest form of intelligence on the planet as either AI will be that time be born and/or aliens will finally decide to pop the hood and show us just how small we really are. They absolutely flipped their lids on that and go on some tangent about how that goes against God somehow to which I point out them it actually fits right into the basic beliefs of God as the origin story in Genesis main point is that God created everything in the universe (including time) and gave it an order. Then they really get mad and go off on somehow I have no idea about the Bible. :)

Juliet316 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  6. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    seen too much

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Malware.

Juliet316, Lordban and Darth Punk like this.
  8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Challenger is the first news story that I remember. I still remember going into my parents bedroom and my mother was watching TV and there was Challenger on the news. I guess it shows that I was always going to be a nerd that it stuck so hard, I can't remember my mother even telling me what it was about, but I remember the TV image.

I watched the netflix documentary and it was better than I expected. Not any new technical information, but a good background to the whole Teacher in Space program.

Pensivia and Sarge like this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    From what I remember, it was shown live on John Craven's Newsround. But, that could be a false memory. But it did happen at the time Newsround would have been on.

10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I was 9 years old when those events happened. Now I don't recall my parents talking about Chernobyl much, but I remember the Challenger disaster vividly. I was also in school. 4th grade to be exact. I actually don't remember the School talking about or showing. I remember watching it on t.v at home.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Does being right all the time get boring?

Diggy likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but I can remember Newsround from 34 years ago.

Juliet316, Sarge and Darth Punk like this.
  13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    You were always a big Phillip Schofield fan

Diggy likes this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Whoa, you know, I... had never thought there could be any correlation between these two things. Dammit.

On senior year we would play a silly game we invented called "Hey Corpse!" The rules were very simple: every time you ran into another player you had to say "hey corpse!" as fast as possible and, if you were first, you got a point. Being average teenagers and even more average stoners, we became obsessed with the game, laying complex ambushes to surprise each other and get a point. We would even scream "hey corpse" at people who were not aware of the game because, again, teenagers. Anyway, one summer day we were walking down the street next to my high school headed to one of my barrio's many arcade centers (Wally's, named after the owner's not-very-bright son, and the only arcade place to have Metal Slug) when we ran into the liar, who apparently had received his diagnosis not to long before. We hadn't attended the same high school together, but he knew most of my friends from either elementary or middle. So of course as soon as we saw him, we all cheerfully screamed in unison "HEY CORPSE!" and he started crying and well, where was I?

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Andy Crane was just not the same.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Wally's. But nice trick question.

So when he told you the diagnosis, I assumed you all though him lying?

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My best friend heard it from his father, a very serious air force man. Otherwise yeah, I would have assumed he was lying.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    They're two of the four memories of news from 1986. The other two were much more franco-centric. Everyday, there was a screen at the end of the news, showing the count of the days several journalists had been held hostage in Beyrouth. And then there was Chirac's electoral victory, the first cohabitation, and the shock of the mass entrance of the Front National and their loudmouth chief Jean-Marie Le Pen.

1986 was also the last year we had snow for over a week in my hometown. I wasn't too surprised, many years later, when I found out it also was the last year during which the temperatures were below average for the whole 20th century.

Darth Punk likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Found the Netflix doc. Going to watch it in 10...9...8

Coruscant and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    '86 was also the year the US bombed Libya. That's the other big news I remember from that year.

Lordban and SuperWatto like this.
  21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well there was Chernobyl

22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And thr Swedish prime minister Olof Palme was murdered. That funeral is the second news story I remember. I remember the aftermath of Chernobyl, later in the autumn when it was clear that you couldn't eat game and they had to slaughter a lot of reindeer due to their radiation levels. I live just south of the region of Sweden that was affected the worst by the nuclear fallout from Chernobyl, so it must have dominated the regional news.

Skickat från min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

Lordban and Sarge like this.
  23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was an adult and at work, transcribing MD orders at the nurses station and heard someone cry out "OMG!' A couple of us rushed into the patient room thinking somone fell, but we stood there in shock watching the tv.

Weird how just thinking about it gives the same tightness of chest I felt while watching the replay.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Was 5 yrs old and didn’t comprehend why everyone was crying even though I was aware something hella bad had happened with our shuttle. I was able to understand what the adults were going through almost 20 yrs later as my own tears were falling as I watched Colombia breaking apart..

Anyway I literally just finished ep 4. I watched all but the last 20 minutes of series a few days ago in one go.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I was in a junior in high school and remember the explosion being announced over the PA during my English class.

I also remember that my Chemistry teacher that year was especially affected because he had applied for the Teacher in Space program (not sure how far along in the app/selection process he had ever gotten). He also started making all his classes memorize the names of the Challenger astronauts for bonus points on quizzes. He continued to do that the next year too (when I had him for Physics). To this day, I still can name all seven of them without googling the info.

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.