main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Chiss fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by ROE_Biggs, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo Viking

Cosmo Viking Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2012
    I would rather have no Chiss than rimagined Chiss.

2. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    There have already been appearances by a Chiss as a barkeep in a game, and in books mentioned as rarely seen in the fringes of space nearest the unknown regions of the western galaxy and only on the edge of civilzation as limited pairs of individuals keeping to themselves as they move around the galactic civilized norm. Just because we see one or two even in the background or as a one line character, it could do absolutely nothing to the chiss as a species ;)

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  3. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Quick question because I can't remember anything about this:
    Can Chiss cry? Do they?

The article in the wook is very long and the search for 'cry' in the text dind't bring any results. Is there a canon (fanon) stance on this?
    Halp. ^.^'

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know how chiss everyday wear looks like?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Panha from Invasion might qualify as an example of a Chiss wearing everyday wear - she's an explorer with a Wookiee copilot, rather than an officer:

[​IMG]

There is also a fairly nice picture in the Saga Edition Unknown Regions splatbook:

[​IMG]

SateleNovelist11 and Gamiel like this.
  6. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I've been out of it for awhile. Does anyone know if they plan on re-introducing the Chiss into the new canon?

Evil.

7. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    That is yet to be seen as far as I know.

8. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Darn. So much to do with the Chiss is wrapped up in Post-RotJ EU, so there's no chance of that ever returning to canon. We might see some major changes once they finally resurface. Hopefully they don't ruin them.

Evil.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see more stories about the Chiss.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  10. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    I don't think there's an official stance on this. As Chiss are supposed to be a close human variant, I imagine they should be able to cry. Not to mention that crying serves a very important purpose, i.e. cleaning out your eye if something gets in it, so I doubt such a thing woukd be lost, looking from an evolutionary perspective.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    ^This^ Ability to wash out one's own eyes, especially if you have hair or no nictating membranes with oil coating is a must.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Because of reasons I wrote a 'children's song' naming the most important (aka known to us) planets of the Ascendancy. Enjoy. Or cringe. Whatever suits you. :D

Colonial Station Cam'co, this is where start,
    to Schesa, Noris, Onfra and then on to Sharb.
    Naporar and Sposia, Jamiron and Rentor we visit
    and then Cioral, Sarvchi before we go to Cormit.
    Wave to Csaus, to Rhigar and also to Copero
    while to the Colonial Station Chaf we go.
    Klasse Ephemora and Mobus we pass by
    as to Oyokal, Shihon, Ool and Avidich we fly.
    Look, it's Thearterra, look, it is Kinoss. And one day
    we may go to Celwis, Catlia, Thrago or Bogo Rai.
    Or further yet, Yashuvhu calls and Pesfarvi and Crustai.
    But from the last Redoubt certainly we are
    going to the best of all places, we go home to Csilla.

13. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    A little harsh on a human tongue, but very nice MsLanna ;)

14. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Yeah, sorry Mitth_Fisto. [face_blush] It flows better in Cheunh... ;)

I can offer an essay on the 54 pronouns of (my) Cheunh in compensation...? :oops:

Mitth_Fisto and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Sounds. . .acceptable.

:D

Sent from a Kewonkian Lizard Monkey's TARDIS

16. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    well, you asked for it?

A Word on Pronouns

When I talk about Cheunh here, please be aware that this is nothing official. Canon (Legends) information will be marked as such. Everything else is my very own madness. Sorry.

A pronoun can be worth a thousand words. In Cheunh that might be true. I created 44 and then 44 for the possessive. Yes, indeed. Here's a chart. I'll talk about it in pieces, starting with the easy bits.

It (ua)
    The easiest pronoun in Cheunh. It is only used of inanimate objects. Grammatical gender does not exist. Animals fall into this category, pets exempt.

I (u)
    In Cheunh the personal pronoun for oneself is dropped whenever possible. This comes from a tradition of (assumed) modesty. You don't call attention to yourself. That is immodest and worse, impolite.
    Went to the exhibition. (Fa'for'okakiu.)Is a complete sentence in Cheunh because the assumed subject is the speaker.
    The only reason to say I went to the exhibition (Ufa'for'okakiu.) would be narcissism or the need to actually emphasise it was the speaker who went and not somebody else. An eloquent speaker will find a way to avoid this.

(S)he (yia)
    There is no distinction between female and male.
    Instead it is distinguished between whether or not the other person belongs to the same Family as the speaker and whether their status is higher or lower. If no other status is implied in the pronoun, the other person is of the same status as the speaker. Yep, you better know your social hierarchy.
    To make things even nastier, the difference between higher and lower status is a tiny pronunciation.
    Higher status: yiaä
    Lower status: yiā
    So, for the higher status there is a tiny pause between tow 'a' while for lower status it is simply a long 'a'. It is very easy to insult somebody accidentally. *coughcough*
    Except of course if you want to insult somebody. For the there are two pronouns which indicate that the other has no status or worse is an alien without status.

You (a and at)
    You can be singular and plural in English. Cheunh has one pronoun for the singular and one for plural. Other than that it works exactly like (s)he. The insulting pronouns have their origin here.
    Ᾱtaki'fafo'kakiu – You person of lower status that I insult went to the exhibition.
    Aäteki'fafo'kakiu – You abominable alien idiot I can't insult worse in one pronoun went to the exhibition.

Confused yet?
    Good because it's only getting worse.

We (ko and ka)
    In Cheunh there are two 'we's. One is including the listener, one is exluding him. So by saying 'We went to the exhibition' the listener would know it that was an event he was included in or not:
    Kofa'for'okakiu – we went to the exhibition (you were there, you eel)
    Kafa'for'okakiu – we went to the exhibition, but the group did not include you.
    Convenient, isn't it?
    Of course you can again tell if the listener is of the same house and status. There are no insulting-pronouns for we. Nobody wants to insult themselves.

They (tan and tona)
    Again two versions. 'tan' is used if the listener is included in the they; tona if they is a completely separate group. Naturally, the first is often used to insult as well.
    Tan'afo'kakiu. – They went to the exhibition and you idiot accompanied them.
    Tonaf'afo'kakiu. - They (aka those idiots) went to the exhibition.
    Both forms of 'they' can again be distinguishing family and status plus you can add insult to insult and use insulting pronouns with the insulting inclusive they. Yay!

Eels!
    Wait, what?
    No, you read right. A side-trip to eels. The Cheunh word for eel (atik) is very close to its pronouns reserved for non-entities: atakik, aätekik
    Naturally, if you cannot insult somebody because it would be impolite or not acceptable because of social decorum, you can always call on the eels. Or in reverse, you can just call the idiot an eel.
    A lot of swearing in Cheunh involves eels.
    Rok'yetatik – bucket of eels
    We'ëundan'erkiur'jontrik'rokyetatik. - Like something found at the bottom of a bucket of eels.
    Arasayet'kik. - Head full of eels.

Conclusion
    With 54 pronouns and 54 possessive pronouns, Cheunh has definitely an over-abundance of those little words. But it gives you the opportunity to insult all and everybody with one carelessly prolonged vowel. If that isn't fun, I don't know what is.
    [​IMG]

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Because I didn't know you want to be swamped like that? And I got the numbers wrong. It's 54 pronouns... [face_blush]

Gamiel likes this.
  19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The Chiss are a fascinating culture. I'd be fascinated by a story about, say, a Chiss who's very un-Thrawn-like. As interesting as Thrawn is, he's become the face and stereotype of the Chiss. The Chiss have their pirates, gangsters, and so on. They definitely are an odd but intimidating culture of near-humans. It would be interesting to learn more about how the Chiss viewed Thrawn after his demise.

Mitth_Fisto and darklordoftech like this.
  20. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I've always been fascinated by the Chiss. Count me in.

21. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Anyone excited for Thrawn in Rebels? Rumor has it he will appear in season 3.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

Coming 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitth_Fisto and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005

I believe that would be everybody who has ever posted here ;)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    But I prefer Chiss with 100% red eyes and no black pupil...

25. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    smudge up a pair of glasses before watching anything new ;) :p

Sadly I believe there is a mention of the eyes having a distinction for where they are looking. And they just ran that further than any before :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.