main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars 7.10 - The Phantom Apprentice - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Master Scorpio , Apr 22, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed May 1, 2020.
  1. 10

77.0%
  2. 9

14.8%
  3. 8

4.1%
  4. 7

0.8%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0.8%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0.8%
  1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I imagine that defeating Sidious doesn't necessarily means beating him in a fight. Maybe all Maul needs to undo the soon to be Emperor´s plan is someone that will be listened, someone to make enough enemies aware of Sidious schemes to prevent them. Or does Maul sees Ahsoka as far more powerful than Savage?

Jarrus and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From the gallery-
    Damn man, Ray Park just bringing all sorts of awesome to the role.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I think you nailed it, especially given that my current edit now has the rebellion scenes restored too, which makes the day 3-4 transition much more obvious. Ashoka's fight with Maul lands right in that range, with her likely leaving Mandalore moments after and the events of Anakin's fall occurring as she departs the planet mid-hyperspace.

Deliveranze and rumblewagon like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    You're reading into something that isn't there.

5. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I think Maul is improvising by the point where he makes the offer to Ashoka. The idea was to screw up the grand plan by killing Anakin, but the wrong Jedi showed up and he threw an entire leg of his power base away for nothing. I think he’s just desperately trying to salvage something from the whole situation.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Maul just isn't as good at contingency plans as Sidious is.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Did you watch the video? Just look at his facial expression. He is clearly talking to himself in that moment. He is not presenting Maul's belief. He even adds that's the ''lesser of evils'' which is his opinion and that's not something that has been established on this episode.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well we seen what happened when Maul and his brother had a fight with Sidious and it did not go very well. so Maul probably is no match for Sidious in a straight up fight. unless his plan was to tear the walls down around Sidious and weaken him before striking him down. which would be far more complicated than going right into a straight-up fight with him

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Perhaps not as a Jedi, he was assuming that Ahsoka will be more powerful than Savage only if she turns to the dark side.

The dark side is the quickest way to achieve power, and Ahsoka has already been trained as a Jedi and she is a very skilled one, she could be very dangerous if Maul trains her as a Sith, in that case she could be more powerful than Savage.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think there's any realm of possibility where it would have happened either way.

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Maul’s hunger for power is constantly at war with his desire to see Sidious brought down. He only wants Sidious to fall if he can profit from the downfall and seize his Master’s throne in the chaos.

If Maul really wanted Darth Sidious to be destroyed, all he had to do was send an encrypted transmission to the Jedi Temple, and tell the Jedi Council that he knows the identity of Darth Sidious.

When he has the full Council on live holotransmission, he just needs to tell them that Darth Sidious is really Sheev Palpatine.

He can answer any questions they have and offer whatever aid they need to take down Sidious. With his deep knowledge of Palpatine’s identity and plans, Maul would be an invaluable asset in defeating Darth Sidious.

Not even Sidious could defeat the entire Jedi Council at once. Mace and Yoda alone could have taken Palpatine down.

Maul could have blown the whistle on his Master at any time after his resurrection. He didn’t, for fear of his Master and hatred for the Jedi. He was raised to view them as his mortal enemy, and aiding them in any way was anathema to him until he was left with no other options near the end of the war.

But even then, he can’t bring himself to simply aid the Jedi. He concocts convoluted plots to gain power and an apprentice. If he’d simply focused on defeating Sidious by any means necessary, he would’ve seen his Master fall and avenged his mother and brother in the process.

12. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Telling the council isn't going to save the Jedi. Nothing can. Maul doesn't know about order 66 either.

cwustudent and Outsourced like this.
  13. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    So I was late getting to this season because I wanted to re-watch seasons 5 (my favorite TCW season) and 6, plus I didn't want to have to wait too long for the episodes to air.

I watched episodes 9 & 10 late last night and have since, watched them both three more times today. Without doubt, this stuff is perfect Star Wars. I can not wait for the next two episodes. Maul and Ahoska are genius characters, their story arcs are ridiculously good. Their lightsaber fight, was breathtaking.

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    What did I just watch. How epic was that. Star Wars at its best. An absolute and undeniable 10/10. So many emotions.
    In Filoni we will forever trust.

PS. Ahsoka and Maul could very well have taken down Sidious. The advantage they would have over everyone else would be that they actually would know who he is, and they would not have been taken by surprise. Everyone else who went to fight him, arrest him, confront him, was just not ready. Sidious is one of the most powerful Sith that ever lived, but not invulnerable.

15. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Where are all the Disney haters now?

Yeah ok the sequel trilogy has its issues, many of them, but I find them much more enjoyable than the prequel trilogy. It should not have been marketed as part of the Skywalker saga - its Palpatines story.

But, along with RO and the (ridiculously underrated Solo), the fabulous Mandalorian - and now what they have done with TCW - well, I for one will certainly take a couple of missteps if I get this kind of quality to go along with the mistakes!

rumblewagon likes this.
  16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Maul has no chance against Sidious. With or without Ahsoka’s help.

[​IMG]

He already tried against Sidious with an apprentice mightier than Ashoka and failed miserably.

[​IMG]

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    As he said, he really wanted Kenobi.
    Maul has a nice little set of complicated love-hate emotions going on there.

Slater, cwustudent, Merric and 3 others like this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think Maul was ever planning to fight Sidious. He just said something that sounded great to try and recruit Ahsoka. He may have been hoping she would lead him to Anakin because what Maul wanted was to kill him. It really wasn't a great plan. Maybe Obi-wan would have listened if Maul actually planned to tell him what was going on. I think Anakin would have taken Maul in a dual. Those odds are really bad if Maul is double-teamed.

Vialco and Master_Rebado like this.
  19. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

Anakin as at the time of this episode - Definitely

[QUOTE="Seerow, post: 56618371, member: 1370676"Those odds are really bad if Maul is double-teamed.[/QUOTE]

Easily.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    His plan is a bit messy, or perhaps he just has a backup plan.

Plan A is to lure Kenobi and Skywalker to Mandalore (by heating a planet-wide Civil War?), then convince Kenobi of the danger and then together capture or kill Anakin. Honestly, a long shot. Then convince Kenobi to help him capture/kill Sideous? With Jedi help maybe?
    Not a great plan.

Perhaps, as he does with the Mandalorians, it's all empty words that play on the Jedi sense of Honour. Convince Kenobi to go fight and die, while he runs off. Thus ruining the plans of everyone but himself.

Plan B, which is what he does carry out, is to become Solo Gangster Maul.

Vialco likes this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Easily.[/QUOTE]

I would assume if your plan is to lure Obi-wan and Anakin you had best be prepared for a two on one fight. Maul probably was but I think his chances were an over estimation. Good luck. If you go to Coruscant and try to assassinate Anakin by using Ahsoka that's not going to end well at all.

Vialco likes this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Uhm, right here. Clone Wars existed long before Disney bought Star Wars, and since it is executed by Filoni, I will give exactly zero credit to Disney for TCW being awesome. It was awesome already. And if Disney hadn't cancelled it in the first place, we would probably have seen even more brilliance.

Yeah I have watched all of the episodes. Savage Opress was a beast, but Ashoka is just on a whole different level and league. She actually beat Darth Maul on her own, one of the deadliest Sith Lords. There is no comparison between her and Savage. And Maul has regained a lot more of his strength and power in Season 7, compared to the first time he went against Palpatine.

This is a hypothetical debate anyway, but no one can personally convince me that Maul + Ahsoka would not have taken down Palpatine. Mace Windu did it on his own practically, since the other 3 Jedi Council members proved to be cannon fodder (still the only disappointing scene in ROTS for me).

23. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I find the sequel trilogy to be a convoluted mess without any coherent story line, interesting new characters and designs, constantly abusing our nostalgia for the original trilogy, and what's worst, its not even working as a "trilogy". Meanwhile, I love the prequel trilogy.

RO was great and IMO the best Star Wars produced in the Disney era so far. Solo was a good movie, but also nothing special. The Mandalorian is great, can't wait for Season 2 and TCW Season 7 is awesome. I didn't enjoy the Ahsoka walkabout arc as much, but the Siege of Mandalore is so far probably the best TCW we ever got.

Oh and you forgot to mention the Resistance show. Which was okay as an animated series marketed to 7 year old's, and I really enjoyed the dogfights in that animation style, but overall, it wasn't anything memorable or interesting.

24. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Ashoka is basically the Luke Skywalker we never got thanks to.......well, you know. hyped for her in live action!

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Can we not start this here? You can like something without having to make a remark like that that we all know is just gonna start an argument.