main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars 7.12 - Victory and Death (SERIES FINALE!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 2, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed May 18, 2020.
  1. 10

59.3%
  2. 9

20.7%
  3. 8

11.4%
  4. 7

2.9%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0.7%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I must say an Unpopular Opinion, I liked the Rebels Finale better.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree.
    I love the Vader scene and Maul in the episode but the Rebels finale was way better.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant finale. I’m ready for the TCW sequel series now, Dave. :p

4. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I thought it was a good episode, but a bit lacking as the closer to the series. Maybe it's just that everything that happens was already decided by some other form of media. Either way the show is definitely up there with the OT in terms of quality. It will be interesting to see what Filoni's next project will be.

5. Nhisso

Nhisso Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2020
    Maaaaan my feels! That was a lot of fun. I deeply regret having watched Rebels before Clone Wars because i knew who survived, but that was a fun last 4 episodes of the series.

Sproj likes this.
  6. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    [​IMG]

I have no words to say. 10/10 for me. I think my systems are crashing.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    So what happens next TCW sequel tha goes after ROST to Rebels or a Rebels sequle thag goes after ROTJ. Either way i'm excited for Filoni's next project.

Snafu55 likes this.
  8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    The first half of the episode wasn't too interesting for me, and I felt it could of been just a little longer.... But the ending was perfect. Sad and tragic. Well done. It's over now. It's all so bitter sweet.. But if I died Tomorrow, I could die on a happy note I got to witness the End of The Clone Wars.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  9. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    The choreography with Rex and Ahsoka fighting side by side and back to back was brilliant. These are 2 war veterans who were used to fighting like that for 2 years and they should it so beautifully.

Poor Jesse, never stood a chance.

I wish it was a tad longer but it worked and I loved it. Now...give me Dark Disciple and the other arcs.

There is just so much more I want from this, how long until Rex and Ahsoka parted ways? How does Rex run into the other clones? How long until Vader finds the saber?

10. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    WAIT ITS OUT????

11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Giant Whales and Dogs we need more Giant Whales and Dogs and let's not forget a pig for the Imps to shoot at [face_pig] [face_plain]

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Loved it! Now I want to know what the hell Rex and Ahsoka were doing in between this episode and Rebels. Arrggh!

13. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Well that was rather... limp after all the awesomeness of the last three episodes. Not much in the way of tough decisions made by our characters, no real surprises or payoffs - just hit the expected beats and get Ahsoka and Rex off the ship and sew up the continuity but not much more than that. The stakes throughout are simply the physical survival of our protagonists which is a boring story stake, and one that was already known ahead of time. The real story ended with Shattered - this is a 23-minute long denoument with all the emotional resolution implied. It's true that we know these characters stories continue beyond The Clone Wars and some of the arcs set up throughout these episodes are resolved there. I feel this would have been a stronger close if this show had been finished first. Ahsoka vs. Vader, or at least Ahsoka having to confront the knowledge that Anakin wasn't immune to the Dark Side after all was something that Phantom Apprentice was teeing up. It seems Rebels preempted the payoff for that except as a side story that was never allowed to be fully baked because it was.. a "side story." Or there could have been some discussion and choices made about where one chooses between personal loyalty and duty to the bigger picture - another set of conflicting paths that Ahsoka has been struggling to navigate throught this season. This is something that's explored in the Ahsoka novel. I wish I could say that that excuses this but it doesn't, not entirely.

The ending scenes with Vader taking back the lightsaber in a shot mirroring Ahsoka taking back her lightsaber in Old Friend, and the close on the Ahsoka-painted clone helmet with Vader walking away seemed to be designed to evoke The Wrong Jedi closing shot of Ahsoka walking away. Unfortunately, it served to remind me that The Wrong Jedi was a much stronger finale than this. It, too, was a very personal story and a bittersweet ending but ended with genuine character growth and payoff, a roundup of the deeper lore and themes running through the series and closing of the loop between Anakin and Ahsoka. This one was mostly a big action piece and ending was just depressing, not bittersweet. All the clones died anyway and the chaos that Ahsoka unleashed was the instrument of that.

Before this, I was figuring the SoM arc was a shoe-in for my #2 spot (behind the Ahsoka Fugitive arc which will never be displaced) but it just didn't stick the landing and now, I think its #3 behind the Geonosis arc. Parts 1-3 are still over-the-top awesome. It's just a pity that it doesn't save its biggest awesomeness for the final act.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  14. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    This is everything I wanted. So good. So so so good. I want more. More Ahsoka, more Rex. I am so sad about Jesse though. That brought tears to my eyes. Also R7... I am just sad. I wish we had gotten a final conversation between Rex and Ahsoka.

I just miss this show already. I was here since day one. I got my mail away Captain Rex action figure and my dad ordered me Ahsoka off of eBay early before she was in stores. We went to see the movie in theaters together. I loved these characters and didn't expect either to live, though I certainly had hoped for it.

Thank you, everyone. From the people who I have had discussions with to the people working on this show. It has meant everything to me for the last 12 years. I will never stop talking about it. A wonderful show and a perfect finale for it.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Ah but you forget we already had things in TCW that were almostl ike space whales. And Filoni never shide away from wanting wolves, not dogs come on man. The things done in Rebels are something George would probaly do too. And in Daghobah we have nature, Filoni used that against machines.

16. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The Ahsoka novel is set in that little time period and ends right as she's recruited by Bail.

17. Havok176

Havok176 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    Great episode but not as strong as the others i would say. If the other ones were 9/10s-10/10s this was 8/10.

Things i liked
    -The Vader scene wow the look compared to rebels. Makes me wish Rebels was animated like clone wars. Hopefully with new projects moving forward we see this level of giving a dam.
    - Great Ahsoka and Rex moments.
    - Wow Maul shows off how powerful he is. Taking down large hyper drive generators dam.
    - The images of the ship going down looked really good.
    - great way to end they story

Things i didn't like
    -Ahsoka not killing. I get she was close with them but idk it life and death at that moment, kill or be killed. Yoda didn't hesitate to chop heads off and than he and Obi returned to the temple to take more troopers out. Rex was right.
    -The stall tactic moments they have. The clones should not stop with someone just trying to explain themselves. They should go for the kill shoot right away. It was used as a plot device. Same with Anakins comedic moment in the first episode of this arc. Idk maybe reading the old dark horse comics about the clone wars before the show retconned it was more gritty, more real life dark not some kids show. I dont know to me it brought me out of it.
    - Episode felt short

18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The novel's Rex's false grave on Mandalore is now non-existent.

19. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    What an awfully dismissive comment.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well now it's grave on this moon soo.¨

Also I msut say that both this season and the season 4 off Rebels isboth in samae quality.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Thats not Rex's false grave. No armor of his was left behind or false body visible laid there. Was the wrong helmet even. Also its kinda hard to believe the Empire would think there was no survivors being that Ahsoka and Rex buried the dead and its unknown if they erased the ship's log and other recorded devices.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  22. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    The smart option would've been to leave Rex's helmet behind, but he has it in Rebels so they had to maintain continuity.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    It was great but just think, had this aired as originally planned before Rebels or Solo none of us would have known if Ahsoka, Rex or Maul would have survived it, really upping the stakes.

I expected it to be longer. I wish there was more but I'm glad we got an ending.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Watched all 4 episodes to really enjoy this.

One thing that stood out for me is the line from Ahsoka to Bo Katan about learning from the best.

The thing is, based on all the episodes we’ve seen, we can understand how Ahsoka could in fact survive this.

Anakin taught her the unconventional methods and expecting the unexpected. But she also learned from Obi-Wan and Yoda. She learned from Tera Sinube, Luminara Unduli, Aayla Secura, and Plo Koon. She worked with rebels like Saw and Steela, as well as Lux and Bo Katan. She learned politics from Padme and Mina, and understood the way people really viewed the Jedi from the Martel sisters. She survived multiple captures and has had to fight outnumbered and survive on her own before both when she was captured by the Trandoshans and when she was framed by Barriss.

And she has fought many different opponents- from the mandalorians to Ventress and now Maul. So unlike many of the Jedi who died, she wasn’t set in her ways. She was formed by war much in the way Rex and the clones were and she was exposed to a far more harsh environment then most of the Jedi- especially the council were. While they sat in the Temple, Ahsoka was with the people and down in the under city of Coruscant.

So, to all those times I groaned about Ahsoka having these adventures that seemed to take away from the overall show, I see the bigger picture now. Without these skills and these experiences, there is no way Ahsoka could have survived Order 66. But while she is only 17 by the end of this, she is a mature 17, far older thanks to the ways of war. And it’s those tough experiences that allow her to survive the literal fight of her life. I get the comments on ‘super ahsoka’ but I do not share them. We saw her form over time under the tutelage of the best the universe had to offer. So by the end, she is capable of these amazing feats. Even still, we can see that without help from Rex and the droids- and even Maul, she would absolutely have died on the ship.

This episode also provides a necessary mid point between the Ahsoka we saw walk away from the order and the Jedi Knight that returned in Rebels. It’s much easier to see why she had no trouble with the inquisitors for instance. She had survived far worse. Of all the characters we have seen from the saga, few are as developed as Ahsoka was able to be. Rex is the second really. In many ways, Ahsoka is the concept of what Rey was supposed to be done with more care. And the payoff, to me, was worth it.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    8/10 It was good and that ending scene with Vader was so powerful and the perfect end shot of the show with the Clone Helmet
    But I don't rate it as high as the last 3 episodes , why ?
    Well as @Havok176 said the Clones should've simply opened fire the second they came out playing for time. Some of the stuff like the Troops constantly going up and down on the Ramps was borderline (not over it but close) slapstick.
    Also the whole Ahsoka flying through the air scene with the Y Wing seemed unnecessary and pointless.

So yeah it was a good episode with some great moments but judged as a whole only good.

Snafu55 likes this.