main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Clone Wars was back

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 19, 2018.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Fair enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    There were no Clone Wars continuity headaches before TCW, just like there was no war on Utapau. /s

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  3. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Labyrinth of Evil and Genndy's Clone Wars was definitely the major continuity clash of the day I remember.

Valin__Kenobi and Xammer like this.
  4. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I also find it amusing that two of TCW's developments that were initially the most derided - giving Anakin an apprentice barely younger than he is, and Maul's survival - ended up becoming among the most beloved. Guess there are no bad premises, just bad executions, eh?

Daneira and JediFett10 like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That and the TCW generation now kinda dominates the fandom discourse at large.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Obsession fits perfectly fine between Ventress being defeated above Toydaria when Savage betrays her, and her returning to Dathomir. Zero issues.

The two versions of the Battle of Coruscant do not interfere in a terrible fashion.

Anakin seeing Ahsoka before he heads off to Coruscant isn't death-defying. By the end of the war, Anakin and Kenobi led the foremost anti-Sith element, so there is little to prevent them jumping from Tythe to Nevlaan, with the intent to carry on to Mandalore, before being diverted.

Vos and his arc is the fiddliest, but you simply assume Tholme faked his death, for yet another time - something he was overly prone to do.

It's no different from assuming Pellaeon was at Saluecami fighting clones to reconcile his thoughts in Heir to the Empire.

Daneira and Xammer like this.
  7. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I guess what's sad isn't that we can't work to reconcile these sources, but that we must.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    A single unified continuity is ever the hope. It's nigh impossible to have zero inconsistencies, I would say.

9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I see at least four divisions in the Clone Wars timeline.
    Original Legends (pre-CW) II > original Clone Wars timeline (comics, books and original tv series) > III
    Current Legends (post-CW) II > original tv series / books > Clone Wars series / comics / books (with story line after Sacrifice not being Legends) > original tv series / books > III
    Canon II > Clone Wars series > III
    My Headcanon II > original tv series > Clone Wars tv series / comics made specifically for it > original tv series > Siege of Mandalore > III

10. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Indeed. Most of TCW's inconsistencies are small potatoes compared to a lot of the ones between the Prequels and the Bantam era, it's just that those didn't get a big fat reboot dropped on them before the efforts to smooth them over could finish.

Xammer and The Positive Fan like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so rewatching some Clone Wars and there's this line in S3e14 Witches of the Mist

Yoda: "A creature of the same species he is, from Dathomir."
    Obi-Wan" Dathomir? The planet of the witches? I was under the impression that Darth Maul's home world was Iridonia."
    Mace: "Dathomir is the planet where Maul was raised. Iridonia is where the rest of the males of the species dwell."

This whole digression as to where Maul came from seems kind of ... incredibly superfluous? Pointless nitpicking detail? Was this a shout out to maybe the old pre-Clone Wars EU? Was then Expanded Universe canon was saying Maul is from Iridonia back when they were sometimes trying to make the EU and the Clone Wars fit neatly so they threw this bit in there?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    darthcaedus1138 and Daneira like this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Pretty sure pre-TCW sources all said Sidious kidnapped Maul from Iridonia, which was also established as the Zabrak homeworld.

Considering it's still the Zabrak homeworld in-universe, it also explains Kenobi's assumption that Maul would be from there (not unreasonable really).

What's more jarring is Maul's tattoo's being changed from Sith tattoos to Nightbrother tattoos (to the point Savage, Feral, etc. have identical markings). It also adds the question of how well known the Nightbrothers were and why Qui-Gon or no one else brought up the possibility of Maul being a ticked off Nightbrother in TPM.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Nom von Anor and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Clearly Obi-Wan didn’t know about the Nightbrothers, so it certainly wasn’t common knowledge.

Some book, I can’t remember which one, had someone encountering a Zabrak and describing them as “an Iridonian or a Zabrak or a Dathomirian or whatever”, which I thought was pretty funny.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  14. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014

IIRC...you had to successfully train a padawan to knighthood to get the rank of Master. The argument could be made that because Ahsoka left the Order that Anakin did not succeed in that.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  15. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    That would be Aftermath, I believe.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Anakin "my powers have doubled since we last met Count"
    Dooku "That was only last week"

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    JediFett10 and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Maul's resurrection hasn't been done well though in some ways. We have yet to see why he's not mentioned at all in ROTS as a source for finding the Sith. The material so far of ex-padawan Ahsoka handling him at the time doesn't make any sense. The Jedi would send a full Master after Maul.

The repeated contrivances to have Maul encounter only Kenobi are also bizarre. There's great story potential in Anakin facing the man who killed Qui-Gon. Why wasn't it used? It's completely in Anakin's character to go hunt down Maul himself, yet we never see him do so.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I vaguely remember a sequence when Maul slaughtered a few Jedi during his Clone Wars rampage. I think it was covered in one of the intro sequences.
    edit: That may have been Savage only. But I seem to remember the two of them making quick work of a pair of jedi in an intro once. I guess i'll have to check Disney+ to research.

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    There's also the elephant in the room that if Maul hates Palpatine so much, why doesn't he broadcast to the holonet: Chancellor Palpatine is a Sith Lord!

An EU comic handwaved it with Maul saying that he didn't need Jedi for his revenge, but it doesn't make sense.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I can't wait for this last season with Maul. He has a new double blade lightsaber and is almost like his TPM appearance. The sith also would never deal with the jedi no matter their hatred for their masters. And why they didn't send more masters after Maul is more likley they were spread thin trough the galaxy with the clone wars raging on its last desperate battles. Anakin and Obi wan would have joined the battle if it haden't been for the battle of Corusant and Palpatine's kidnapping.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The Sith don't have a rule the Jedi can't do their work for them. The entire Clone Wars was an exercise in making the Jedi to do what Darth Sidious wanted.

Maul could and should have broadcast Palpatine = Sidious. That this incidentally also helps the Jedi isn't Maul's concern, but it also shouldn't prevent him from acting the way that achieves his aims best.

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Maul might hate Sidious but he's smarter than that. Here's some speculation that I don't think is too far off base: recall that Maul knows about the Sith master plan and assume he's canny enough to realize that the Clone War is Sidious's execution of the endgame of that plan. It serves his purpose to let it play out - the Jedi are Maul's enemies, too. Maul's long-term plan may well have been to let Sidious do the heavy lifting and destroy the Jedi, then swoop in with his own private army to wipe out Sidious and leave Maul in charge of the galaxy. (Things didn't work out that way for him, of course - he allowed his activities with the Shadow Collective to become too public, which may explain why the next time Maul leads a criminal enterprise he is very careful to remain hidden and let others serve as the public face of the organization.)

And even if Maul was short-sighted enough to want to disrupt Sidious's work with a holonet broadcast, he still faces the obstacle of having no one listening who would actually believe him. Neither the Jedi nor the Senate are going to consider him a trustworthy source, and the rest of the galaxy would likely just scratch their heads and wonder what a "Sith Lord" is.

BigAl6ft6 and Sturm Antilles like this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    A Sith Lord is someone who has a red lightsaber and wants to kill all Jedi and rule the galaxy. Takes one sentence to explain, and the Sith wars happened both in Canon and Legends. Palpatine would still point to his Jedi friends, etc. though.

The Sith have been extinct for 1,000 years though. This would be like accusing the President of Mongolia of secretly being the last member of the Yuan Dynasty Mongol Empire, in hiding for 1,000 years, and plotting to take over China. No one would take it seriously.

I strongly suspect however, the Jedi would take it seriously if Maul makes this claim. This is the man who killed Qui-Gon Jinn, one of the greatest members of their Order. The question is whether they can prove the claim, and what evidence Maul offers to back it up.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm not sure being the guy who killed Qui-Gon Jinn is going to do much to improve Maul's trustworthiness in the eyes of the Jedi, but that being said I still think the bigger obstacle to the scenario is that Sidious's plan is working and it serves Maul's interests to let it work. (That logic holds up at least until the events of "The Lawless" and the Son of Dathomir arc, anyway. We'll have to wait until the new Clone Wars episodes in February to find out what Maul was up to between then and the Siege of Mandalore, and what his mindset was.)

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Fair enough, i forgot these are the same jedi who didn't believe dooku when he all but told them who sidious was.

However, if maul did reveal sidious identity the jedi would be forced to admit it correlates with dookus claims on geonosis. Even prosecutors use the claims of multiple felons as evidence if they correlate and are supported by other evidence

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019