main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Clone Wars was back

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 19, 2018.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Every time I see a post in this thread I'm hoping it's a new trailer or something.

2. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    In Son of Dathomir, didn't the Jedi believe that Maul and Dooku were working together as master and apprentice?

3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    ^I was about to say, if Dooku and Maul are saying the same thing then obviously they are the Master (Dooku) and the Apprentice (Maul). Since there can only be two and these are the only two the Jedi have seen.

4. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh right, I forgot that. At least some of the Jedi believed Dooku was the original Master, not the new Apprentice.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    No they didn't believe that, some of them speculated about that cause they had no idea of what was going on between Maul and Dooku and they apparently never took seriously the Darth Sidious person despite intelligence. Maul encouraged Kenobi to believe that speculation that they(Dooku and him) were working together on the Death Watch base because he was playing a deadly game with Dooku to lore out Sidious/Palpatine. Maul was on his own side(which included Talzin and Dathomir). But they had no idea what was going on, since Maul's forces and Dooku's forces were at war.

Yoda knew of Sidious as far as confirmation wise in Season 6, but the Council were weird in that arc and even put Yoda under Jedi Temple guard so its unclear whether he informed them or if they believed him even if he did. At one point even the Council suspects Yoda of being corrupted by the Dark Side and blaming and suspecting him cause Dooku was his apprentice. IN the Season 6 Dark Disciple arc however, chronologically/story occurs both during the events of SOD and after its again confirmed that Dooku is the Sith apprentice of Darth Sidious. So no in the end they did not think Maul was Dooku's apprentice . Moreover that would've placed Dooku's fall back much much sooner since Darth Maul was an adult Sith Lord during TPM and killed Dooku's former apprentice Jinn and almost killed Kenobi on Naboo.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Maul and Savage took out a few Jedi (see in S5 opener Revival) and at the end of the episode, Palpatine tells the Jedi to leave Maul and the "petty crooks" alone and get back to fighting the Clone Wars. They "heed the words of the Chancellor" as Yoda says, and he also thinks Obi-Wan is taking it personally. So basically Palpatine told them to lay off and lay off they did.

Why does Palpatine want the Jedi to not go after Maul? Best answer I have is in "The Lawless" when Sidious tells Maul that he has other plans for him. Of course, it's been since release since I've read Son of Dathomir (which I intend to re-read before S7) but his plans were to lock Maul up. In fact, Son of Dathomir has a heck of a lot of stuff happen in it, because in the show the last time we see Maul he's being fried by Sidious, then Son of Dathomir happens, and Maul is free again. So it'll be interesting to see how S7 covers that, the recap before the Maul episode should be in depth! (or S7 kicks off with Maul still in Sidious' captivity and they can say Sidious picked him up again after SoD)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Daneira likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They can just have the Mandalorians' breakout of Maul be in the episode. I don't think they need to retread Son of Dathomir. After they adapt the breakout, they can just time jump to Siege of Mandalore.

To be blunt, the rest of Son of Dathomir was kind of redundant as it just had them kill Talzin (again) even though she was already killed and dissipated to mist in TCW.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    They could just as easily retread what happened in SoD in the opening news reel.
    It would take like three seconds.

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well the Jedi never let up on Maul, since they are trying to capture him in SOD despite the Chancellors prior objections, and they were in alliance with the Satine loyalist Mandalorian resistance(some unaired arcs even featured some Mandos allied with the Republic).

Sidious' plan was to torture Maul until he gave up his allies and assets so the Sith can control them too and he was gonna be held long enough as bait. But the torture went nowhere and failed as Maul became stronger through the pain and increased his resolve and his hatred towards the Sith . And according to the story Death Watch followed Sidious to Stygion Prime from Sundari right after Maul's capture, meaning he was not kept that long as a prisoner. Sidious suspected someone might break him out, as he knew Talzin was Maul's mom, and that was who he wanted as well to destroy. Maul was bait at the prison, he knew it, so after the escape both Maul and Talzin played the deadly game and reversed things when Maul captured Dooku and Grievous. The movies protected Sidious, Dooku and Grievous from being killed, so the storyline like typical TCW fashion was fatalistic .

Maul , despite Sidious' efforts and the Jedi's failed in defeating him had remained a rival and a galactic threat since he's a rogue Sith. Mandalore was always more or less a front base for his true powerbase hidden in the shadows per his Shadow Collective plan. That was also how continued to remain in power with the Crimson Dawn. Presumably the great purge also had to do with Mandalorians serving Maul as punishment were wiped out. The good guess is Palpatine stages his capture by Grievous and sped things along once the Jedi direct their attention away from his war and to Maul's Mandalore. Also at this time Dooku was already defeated by Maul and Vos (as was Grievous) , his time is nearing its end as the Sith Apprentice - and then Anakin defeats him and Palpatine ordered him killed.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So Twitter is a buzz with The Clone Wars returning February 17th. Surprised that it's a Monday, but I'll take it and new episodes every Monday, assuming they're not dumping the entire 12 episodes on day one.

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    And if it sticks to Monday, the final episode will release on May 4th

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I really hope it’s not just one 22-minute episode a week. I was expecting that each arc would be released as its own nice hour-long episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    this joke brought me straight back to 2010

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Ahh...

"TCW" vs "CW" continuity debates. How I have missed thee, and how far we've come since the days of Tidal Locked Ryloth...

(That battle was still in the temperate zone at the equator and the planet wobbles, dang it. And Mandalore had more than one capital, dawgonnit.)

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  16. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I'm very curious how the TCW version of Labyrinth of Evil turns out.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Can't wait!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anakin looks like he's going full Vader at the end there, will we get a bit more of him on Mustafar? I mean they're quoting ROTS lines verbatim (from the mid point of the movie!) so it's going there. Does it look like any clips are from the Crystal Crisis story reels, or does it look like we're getting Bad Batch 4 eps and then 8 new ones?

I'll take some continuity ointment if they have a throwaway lines about some Mandalorians not wanting to take off their helmets ever. Even Bo Katan can say "okay, let's keep the helmets on but in a few years we'll take them off and then back on again!"

Literal irony: Disney cancelled Clone Wars because it was too expensive, brings it back 7 years later for Disney+ content. but I ain't mad!

Xammer and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Kanan and Depa at 0:25. Still not enough San Hill, after 12 years. Le sigh.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Did San Hill ever show up in TCW? Like, even as a nonspeaking background cameo?

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    A quick glance at both San's Legends and Canon articles shows he has never shown up in TCW.

This is likely because TCW introduced the bizarre retcon that the Banking Clan was neutral in the war (even though AOTC and ROTS clearly showed they were not) and his appearance would be problematic to this retcon.

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    No. He was referred to by Padme in the first season (just as the IBC Chairman), but his name wasn't even used.

The neutrality issue, interestingly, was first introduced in the old EU almost immediately after AOTC came out in 2002. I don't think it worked very well, although it was meant to mimic the Swiss bank and explain why Muunilinst was chummy with the Empire following the Clone Wars, without much fallout. Sometime around 2008 and the new CW series, things got very confusing. They kept the neutrality (and Swiss) connection, but made a bunch of Separatist species neutral. Season 3 of TCW went so overboard with the "some companies/planets have representatives on both sides" that there is literally no logical way to explain it other than say everyone is either corrupt and/or blind.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Do you have a source where the old EU pre TCW had the Banking Clan neutral? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious what source or work this is.

Genndy's cartoon Clone Wars series had a very major battle on Muunilinst and that battle's antagonists were very clearly stated to be the Banking Clan, who even hired Durge.

25. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    You can spot a young Kanan 25 seconds into the trailer, next to his master.